Start by marking “The After Days” as Want to Read:
The After Days

The After Days

In a world without power, you need the power of friendship and love to survive.

"This is far and away the most compelling read I’ve experienced in a long time. No lie. This is seriously good. It’s fresh, entertaining, and thought-provoking.” –Kathryn Johnson, author and writing teacher

Middle-aged suburbanites Rachel and Zach team with their friends to battle not only the p

Published July 10th 2019 by The AG Group

To ask other readers questions about The After Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The After Days

Start your review of The After Days
Ellie Mitchell
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘In a world without power, you need the power of friendship and love to survive.’

Today’s review is for The After Days, by Amy Ginsberg. Although I wasn’t sure what genre this was, I feel like it sits on the fence between Contemporary Fiction and Dystopian Fantasy.

Can you imagine a life without electricity, running water, or any of the things we have today because of them?

I find it hard to, although I have been wondering what that world would be like.
Since reading The After Days, I’m beginning to
Rachel
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically don't read dystopian fiction as real world events are enough, but I received a copy of the book from the author (disclosure statement) and found myself sucked in! The book is well written, characters well developed and the story definitely makes you think. It would make for a good discussion at a bookclub. Because of this book, I am more open to reading others in the genre, but first I want to see a sequel to this one to see what happens to the characters - that's have invested in th ...more
Mandy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so cool to read a book that takes place so close to where I live and work. I loved all the local references. Aside from that, it was quite a page-turner. I was invested in the characters early on. It really makes me think about what I would do in such a terrible situation.
Kate Loveton
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! WOW! WOW! Definitely a five star book - and how perverse of me to read it just as our world is dealing with a viral pandemic! Makes it just a little too real.

I started this book yesterday at 6 pm and had trouble tearing myself away from it. I was so immersed in the story that I read it in less than 24 hours.

Be very glad we have electricity, friends - because if the grid ever gets hacked and shut down, life and civilization will devolve, and not slowly, either.

This story moves along at a
Amy  Katherine Wolff
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down

This book was hard to put down. I was one I could have sat w with and read for hours until it was finished. Especially now, during this time of COVID, the story seemed eerily possible. Probable? It certainly gave me pause to think.
Linda
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a book to read while living in a pandemic

Rachel's narrative of living through the big blackout brings out a full spectrum of emotions. I started pondering the "what if's" from the very beginning.
Richard J. Starke
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

Very realistic. I could see something like this happening someday. I hope that our future is more pleasant than the characters in this story.
Linda De Long
This book might nit have been the best to read while involved in this pandemic. It certainly made me think of all that could happen and how I would react.
Cassandra Brenton
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly Terrifying

This book is so realistic that it will give you nightmares! Written in such a way that you can't help but see the very real possibility that in time this may not be a work of fiction.
Deb
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author. Ginsburg’s story of what happens in a Maryland suburb during a world-wide power outage was pretty fascinating, although the premise requires a bit of a leap: terrorists have banded together to attack power grids covering most of the world, and no one can figure out how to get the power back on.

Ginsburg tells a riveting and frightening story about two middle-aged friends in the Washington, DC area. As the story begins, Julie and Rachel are on the s
Jessica
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for the free ebook copy in exchange for my honest review

I’ve typically been one to shy away from most dystopian books. Mainly because I feel like a lot of them feel repetitive and have a similar formula and underdeveloped characters because of all the craziness happening. Well, that isn’t the case with THE AFTER DAYS.

I don’t want to go into too much detail, because this was just over 200 pages and it was a really quick read for me. Just enough action and character building
Gina R Mitchell
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The After Days is a chilling story. I was hooked from the opening page. The tale could be drawn straight today’s headlines. I didn’t have to stretch my imagination to believe it was really happening.

Yes, the four main characters are extremely un-likable much of the time. That just proves this is a well-written story. How likable would anyone be in those circumstances? Through it all, Rachel tries to maintain her quirky humor.

It was appalling how quickly life fell apart in a world-wide power outa
Steve
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The After Days succeeds in filling readers of a particular variety (think book clubs, NPR, Whole Foods, lacrosse parents) with a special kind of existential dread because it portrays the collapse of a vital element of civilization in surroundings and among characters recognizable to suburbia dwellers. And it does so without resorting to zombies or aliens or fictional diseases. Recommended if you’ve ever wondered how you, your neighbors, and your neighborhood might fare in a small, slow-rolling a ...more
Lori
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Well-written page-turner that makes you think about being better prepared for just your common garden-variety natural disaster or severe weather (let alone the possibility of terrorist attacks against our power grid). Ms. Ginsburg does an excellent job telling an interesting story. Highly recommend you put this book into your summer reading pile. You'll be glad you did.
Mary
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.

This book centers around four friends and how they handle the loss of electricity. It is so realistic, that at times you feel as if you are right there with them, trying to survive. I enjoyed reading this book and especially liked the bonding of the two females. Give it a read. You'll be glad you did.
Carol
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!

This book grasped your attention right from the beginning. All of the characters were diverse and interesting throughout the story. There were many plots and turns. I highly recommend this book. It’s a great book for a book club because you could have great discussions on this book.
Janie Howland
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Samantha
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Too good to put down

This book was absolutely a page turner. I love that it’s told from the perspective of someone who is not out to save the world, but just keep themselves and their family alive.
Kathi
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A riveting book

A well written and believable story of 4 ordinary people in a worldwide blackout. Couldn't put it down. Highly recommend this book!
Pamela J.
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn in immediately and swept away by the story. Real Page Turner!
Elaine Plourde
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was one of the most realistic apocalyptic I've read in a while and believe me I read alot of them. The people and the situation were so real and not over exaggerated.
Carol Webster
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read, but was a bit disappointed with the ending.
Carol Paxman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Most dystopian books involve teens or young adults. It was nice to read a book that focused on someone my age surviving a disaster. Definitely a must read!
Howard Katzoff
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow Wow Wow Wow!!!!!!!!

What an incredible story filed with every emotion in the world. The characters were absolutely real and interesting. READ THIS BOOK !
Bryan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was OK

A totally plausible event leading to survival of the fittest. It wasn’t the best story I’ve read but it sure wasn’t the worst either.
Lisa Fricker
Stephanie Prichard
Jul 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Bug Out: A Post Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • The Last Cabin
  • Disruptive Shock (Disruptive Shock #1)
  • My Dead World
  • Dark Ever After (Ever After EMP #1)
  • Tangled Threads
  • Hunted (Days of Want #2)
  • Turmoil (Days of Want #3)
  • Flare: The Journey
  • Out Of Time
  • Lights Out
  • The Lucky Prepper: A Gardener's Story of Surviving a Pandemic
  • Chasing Rabbits
  • Humanity's Hope: Camp H
  • Love on Beach Avenue (The Sunshine Sisters, #1)
  • Hell Week (America Falls #1)
  • Times What They Are