Start by marking “The Basic Steps of Bible Study: Getting Started (Harvest Pocket Books)” as Want to Read:
The Basic Steps of Bible Study: Getting Started (Harvest Pocket Books)

The Basic Steps of Bible Study: Getting Started (Harvest Pocket Books)

Beloved Bible teacher Kay Arthur has long taught the inductive study method, which has helped millions of people enjoy discovering the truths of God’s Word for themselves. This guide is a great place to start learning how to study your Bible in a truly-life-changing way.
As you cultivate the inductive skills of observation, interpretation, and application, you will… b
Published August 6th 2019 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Basic Steps of Bible Study, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basic Steps of Bible Study

Start your review of The Basic Steps of Bible Study: Getting Started (Harvest Pocket Books)
Richard
This is part of a larger book broken down into smaller and manageable pieces.
This is the very beginning. Getting started. This is the approach to inductive Bible study and is for the student to approach the bible with their own open mind. No mobile phones to google help or the study insights of a learned schooler interpreting The book of Romans, or even that study aid / the bible commentary.
This approach to the process of learning from Scripture, demands that you do the work.
This short guide be
Laura Langley
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone looking to learn how to study the Bible for themselves in a more systematic, in-depth way in order to better understand God's Word will find a great how-to manual in Kay Arthur's "The Basic Steps of Bible Study." It's a shortened form of some of her earlier works, but maybe better formatted for a new generation.

Learn the basics of inductive Bible study by taking a look at context, learning how to observe what the Bible says, interpreting what it meant to its original intended audience, an
Ashley Montgomery
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on inductive bible study to be incredibly helpful to me. I have been a Christian for a long time now. I understand that we are to study the Bible, but in my own journey there has been very little information and guidance in how to do it. I am someone who follows a pattern very well, but has trouble making my own pattern. So something like this is so helpful to me because I can take this process and make it my own.
Carolyn
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short introduction to Bible Study by renowned author and international bible teacher, Kay Arthur. It introduces the concept of Inductive Bible Study:

"Inductive Bible study draws you into personal interaction with the Scriptures and thus with the God of the Scriptures so that your beliefs are based on a prayerful understanding and legitimate interpretation of Scripture— truth that transforms you when you live by it."

This book focuses on one strand of inductive bible study, which is Obs
Aminata Coote
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Basics of Bible Study introduces readers to the inductive Bible study method. They are taught how to study the Bible by books, chapters and by paragraphs; to search for key words and discover the themes in God’s Word.

This resource is helpful if you are just learning the inductive Bible study method. However, if you’ve already read How to Study Your Bile or The New How to Study Your Bible you’ll find that The Basics of Bible covers much of the same ground.

The Basics of Bible Study teaches re
Lexi
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am in a place where I aspire to really learn and understand what God is telling me and I'd like to start by studying, not just reading, my bible. I'd like to know the Word of God in its entirety, as I have never read the bible and taken the time to read it daily before. Now I carry it with me and I find inspiration everytime I open it and read it.

I started hearing about inductive bible study in my quest to learn more, and this book is a good overview of it, and a good summary. It has opened me
Lauren Bates
I had heard of Arthur's inductive Bible study method, and this quick read was a great overview for a beginning Bible student who longs to learn more than just what's on the surface. I made lots of highlights and will be referring to my notes as I dive into my studying. Highly recommend for any student wanting to turn their reading into realizing how the Bible is relevant for now. My only complaint is that I didn't realize this was information from a longer book and I'll need to purchase another ...more
Michelle Castaneda
The Basic Steps of Bible Study By Kay Arthur is a wonderful introduction to inductive Bible study. This book is just what it describes-- it is very basic, it is a quick read, it is not meant to be an exhaustive approach to Bible study. But in the simplicity of the approach, this book is wonderful start for new Christians and just as wonderful as a refresher for seasoned believers. I think both would benefit from its wisdom and time tested methods. I received a digital copy of this book from the ...more
Jeannine
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study, arc
The material is good my issue with this very short new book (55 pages) is that it is only one of the steps (Observation) in the inductive study. It is also just part I of the full book (almost word for word). I don't see the point in this book. The full book is only a few dollars more and you get the entire inductive experience.
Thanks to Netgally for this ARC, it did not in anyway influence my review.
Rhonda
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars: 5/5 Stars
I am a student of the Bible and have been for many years, even taking seminary courses for pastor's wives, and this book is a wonderful study guide for those of all levels. I plan to purchase the NISB, New Inductive Study Bible, that Kay Arthur recommends in the book.
I received a digital version of this book from netgalley and Harvest House Publishers in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.
Holly Minion
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've done a couple of Bible studies by Kay Arthurs in the past. This book is the perfect size for a quick primer on Bible study. She walks the reader through steps to studying any Bible passage on their own. I was able to read this in about an hour and was able to implement some tips immediately. I recommend it for anyone who wants to go farther with their Bible study.

Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
William Dicks
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
As an introduction to the inductive Bible study method, this short book really accomplishes its purpose.

I have been using this method for many years, and I would recommend this little book to anyone who would like to start learning this method, or those who have never done any real Bible study at all.
Samantha Hatcher
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2019
This is just what I needed to help me dig deeper into my bible study. I can't wait to start on the larger book and workbook so I can really dig deep. It was a great quick read to help you get started. ...more
JoAnn
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book to be very helpful.. highly recommend this book. My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my digital arc. This is my unbiased review.
Lis K
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This short book is an excerpt from the longer book, "How to Study Your Bible." This pocket book focuses on the first step, Observation, in the Observation-Interpretation-Application approach to studying the Bible. I think it is a great resource to help individuals or groups by providing a clear framework of how to observe the text. It sounds easy but there are a lot of steps involved, it is for someone who really wants to study their Bible, not just read it and walk away. This book mentions seve ...more
Chris
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
If you want to get started learning about the inductive method of Bible study, read this booklet. Arthur provides an overview of the method as a whole and then instructs readers in the first step of inductive study: how to observe the biblical text. If you are interested in learning about the entire inductive process, including how to interpret and apply the Bible, read the full book "How to Study Your Bible" by Kay Arthur, David Arthur, and Pete De Lacy. ...more
David Grinter
Joyce O'Donald
Feb 11, 2020
Tracey
Mar 24, 2021

• Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Mudlark: In Search of London's Past Along the River Thames
  • Mindful Thoughts for Stargazers: Find your inner universe
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • What You Wish For
  • The Visual Guide to Easy Meal Prep: Strategies and Recipes to Get Organized, Save Time, and Eat Healthier
  • The Trusted (The Trusted Thriller Series Book 1)
  • The Artist Who Loved Cats: The Inspiring Tale of Theophile Alexandre Steinlen
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • A Woman's Guide to Spiritual Warfare: How to Protect Your Home, Family and Friends from Spiritual Darkness
  • Believing Jesus: Are You Willing to Risk Everything? A Journey Through the Book of Acts
  • What Happens When Young Women Say Yes to God: Embracing God's Amazing Adventure for You
  • And Still She Laughs: Defiant Joy in the Depths of Suffering
  • Love at First Like
  • Meg and Jo
  • Promises for a Fruitful Life
  • Remarkable Faith: When Jesus Marveled at the Faith of Unremarkable People
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholar ...more

News & Interviews