Start by marking “Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual” as Want to Read:
Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

#1 New York Times Bestseller
#1 USA Today bestseller

The ultimate guide on leadership from the bestselling co-author of Extreme Ownership.

In the military, a field manual provides instructions in simple, clear, step-by-step language to help soldiers complete their mission. In the civilian sector, books offer information on everything from fixing a leaky faucet to
Published January 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
Genevieve
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t a book that you should read cover to cover. In my opinion, I’d recommend reading Jocko’s other books, Extreme Ownership, Dichotomy of Leadership, and Discipline Equals Freedom first. Then, after some sef-reflection—once you understand the principles taught in those books, you can use this book the way It was intended to. This books helps guide you along “The path of discipline” which is discussed in Discipline Equals Freedom. This book is truly a field manual. If you understand the ...more
Rhett Reisman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an easy to consume summary of lessons from Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership written as a manual meant to be revisited.

I’ve found the tactics in those books useful professionally, and plan on buying a physical copy of this book to revisit and page through - the audiobook is great too though.

If you want a comprehensive book/guide on military/business/any kind of leadership with no extra fluff, this is it.
Scott James
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book on Leadership. I am big fan of Jocko's and this is an excellent manual for any level of leader, both new and seasoned. Highly recommend!
Benjamin Hall
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t recommend this book enough. It goes right to the top like both of Jocko’s other books. Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership! Read them all!
Eric
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good advise and wise insights from a trusted and established leader.
John Mc Graw Jr
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
While I did enjoy the book, and respect how it is different than its predecessors, I also found it lacking where the others didn't. Yes, all the tools...and then some...on how to lead are found within this book. However, the previous two books also came with rich detailed examples to help apply the knowledge immediately. This book carries a TON of tools at the conceptual level I how to be a great leader, I would have liked to see more of them in action for business. While it will hit home with ...more
Fred Leland
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strategy and Tactics on Leadership you can use

This book is packed full of not only tactics to use but with world class examples of how to implement them in your organization. I love The authors candid and frank delivery which is a breath of fresh air in discussing leadership which is all too often misunderstood and based on romantic views of how to lead. This book o highly recommend to those looking too love their teams and organizations forward.
Jeet Das
"It's all on you, but it's not about you."

I have been a fan of Jocko since I discovered his podcast last year, and I think he's honestly changed my life. He inspired me to get up at 4:30am every day, work out harder than I have before, and take ownership of my life. I have read some self-help books that try to get people to do these things, but it hits different when Jocko says it. He is humble in his approach, never showing any sort of a superiority complex. He preaches common-sense goals, like
Rishabh Srivastava
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
A great summary of implementing management principles that Jocko outlines in Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership. Was a breeze to read –but was also far too repetitive and could have been far shorter.

My main takeaways were:

1. If not facing an emergency, don’t tell your team what the plan is. Instead, ask them to come up with a plan for you to review, and then add to it if needed. This way, you’ll never have to worry about buy in — the team has already bought into the plan. Even if
Mark
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Extreme Ownership’ was the de facto leadership tome. ‘Dichotomy of Leadership’ then came along and provided more timeless leadership lessons. This book follows on from these two groundbreaking books and (for me,) this is the best. It somehow works so much better than the other two (excellent) books. I read it cover to cover but something tells me that I will keep dipping in and out of specific sections going forward. Once again the lessons here are timeless and for the most part applicable ...more
Voltrexbe
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential for any aspiring leader, as well as for any member having to perform in a team. Simply written and unbelievably comprehensive, Jocko's goal of following the format of a (usable) 'field manual' has been achieved. Read this book to get a clear-cut idea of any situation you might be confronted with as a leader, and be armed with some more sense of the bigger picture when it does arrive.
John
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-redux
I have read all of Jocko’s business and personal development books. I also recently attended an Echelon Front conference. His approach to leadership is practical and effective. It has made a significant difference in both my professional and personal life. This book is another outstanding read packed with practical wisdom. I plan to return to it frequently. Highly recommended.
George Geders
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good concepts of leadership with practical examples learned in the military. The concepts apply outside the military as well. If you're not a vet, this book can give you insights on how to move your leadership skills forward faster. The politics are a bit different but still applicable, just more complicated.
Anthony
Most excellent ideas on how to professionally lead a team and yourself. I could not agree more with most points the author makes on how to be an example for all members of your team. Willink explains that you team will (generally) model your behavior - good and bad. So the best approach to achieving attitude and actions you want is to consistently demonstrate them yourself.
Jeremy Lum
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not as many real life stories as the popular Extreme Ownership or The Dichotomy of Leadership, however Jocko includes all the leadership elements that make both his previous books a great leadership resource. If you have read his other 2 books, then this book is a little redundant, however I still think it sums up the best of both nicely. I enjoyed it.
Michael Koeris
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good follow-on

Solid follow-on to extreme ownership and dichotomy of leadership. The principles are fine but what it comes down to for me at least was a reminder in humility and accountability. Check your ego and it’s on you.
Mahmoud Jameel
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jocko finally gets out of the way and stops making analogies to real life .. this is his best writing on leadership because he followed Sun Tzu work which is eternal because it allows people to make their own analogies.
Justin Cramer
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clarification companion

This book is the perfect companion to Extreme Ownership. It clarifies many of the concepts in Extreme Ownership giving graduated examples from one end of each dichotomy to the other.
Dan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to guide any leader or any person willing to better understand a leadership status. It also includes great life lessons, such as managing your ego, dealing with people, and how to succeed as a team.
Roman Bly
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, down to earth, simple, concise, to the point writing. Straight forward examples, useful adaptation from military scenarios to business.
Very applicable even if you are not in a leadership position because at any given point in time, you are in a leadership position of yourself!
Jared Schmeck
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book on leadership. I can see these principles helping in my own leadership role within my company, and also in general daily life. My father was a SEAL in the 1980s, and he instilled several of these leadership principles and the general team focused mentality in me from an early age, but Jocko is able to compound on that with some great tactics that are simple enough to be immediately applied. It is extremely refreshing to read a leadership book that is based on common sense and not BS, ...more
Blake
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to Jocko’s work. Practical and easy to read. I wish I had been able to read this at the start of my time in the military. A must read for any leader or follower in any area including within your family. I’ll definitely be reading this one again.
Matt Giroux
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Although not recommended to read it cover to cover, I did. I did because I had trouble putting this one down. Easy to read, vocabulary isnt stretched into a thesaurus but has lots of meaning and sends a powerful message to all leaders. A must read!
John Yovanovitch
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that would like to improve their leadership
Recommended to John by: Jocko Willink
"...if you lead effectively—the team will be successful, and the mission will be accomplished. If you do not lead effectively, you will fail, and the team will not accomplish the mission." -- Jocko Willink
Anthony
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Key points:

Keep balance. There is no black and white in leadership

Whatever happens it is all on you. Accept no excuses and give no excuses

It is not about you - it is about the team, the contribution you make to society
Ivan Valev
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's the most useful Jocko book to date. That is saying something.
Jeremy
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Concise and to the point. Underlying theme that ego and selfishness are poison. Good stuff.
Sean
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jocko's best book to date. Full of applicable knowledge and wisdom.
Robert Madison
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Best leadership book I've ever read.
Sean
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Liked it, love Jocko. Wish it was a bit more of a 'manual'

• You Are Worth It: Building a Life Worth Fighting For
  • The Infinite Game
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Prepared: What Kids Need for a Fulfilled Life
  • The Power of Self-Compassion
  • The End Is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • The Minuteman
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Take Control of Your Life
  • The Way of Men
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Ten Signs of a Leadership Crash
  • Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way
“So how can a leader become great if they lack the natural characteristics necessary to lead? The answer is simple: a good leader builds a great team that counterbalances their weaknesses.” 0 likes