Start by marking “Scotty: A Hockey Life Like No Other” as Want to Read:
Scotty: A Hockey Life Like No Other

Scotty: A Hockey Life Like No Other

NATIONAL BESTSELLER

A hockey life like no other.

A hockey book like no other.

Scotty Bowman is recognized as the best coach in hockey history, and one of the greatest coaches in all of sports. He won more games and more Stanley Cups than anyone else. Remarkably, despite all the changes in hockey, he coached at the very top for more than four decades, his first Cup win and
Published October 29th 2019 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Scotty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scotty

Start your review of Scotty: A Hockey Life Like No Other
Patrick Hanlon
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great read with insights into hockey history, along with a bio of Scotty Bowman. The book includes perhaps the most biographic detail available on Sam Pollock as well. The structure of the book weaves Bowman's biography in with his insights on the 8 best teams he has seen during his life. It makes for a few redundancies and there is a Habs-heavy tilt to the book that cannot be denied and, frankly, ought to be embraced given the history and relationship between author and subject. It is an ...more
Geoffrey Kelley
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a lifelong Habs fan who came of age when les Canadiens were at the height of their powers, this book is a nostalgic look back at the glory days of hockey in Montreal. Ken Dryden, the former star goalie, traces the illustrious career of Scotty Bowman, the Verdun native who went on to coach nine a Stanley a Cup winners in Montreal, Pittsburgh and Detroit. Scotty Bowman has been a passionate student of the game from the 1940s to the present. Almost all of the greats—from the Rocket to Gretzky, ...more
Marcus
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book, especially for hockey fans who remember NHL hockey since the 1950s. Dryden and Bowman do a great job describing Stanley Cup teams through the years and allow you to relive many great teams and players.
E.A. Briginshaw
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is different than other books about hockey. As the author states near the start of the book, Scotty Bowman is not a storyteller. He is a coach, a manager, a scout and an analyst. He watches the game and tries to figure out why one player is great and another is not, why some teams were successful, and others not. The book describes how Scotty "sees" the game.

Fortunately, I am old enough to have seen most of the players and teams described in this book either in person or on "Hockey
UChicagoLaw
Ken Dryden is one of hockey’s greatest goalies, but he is also a lawyer (McGill) and a tremendous writer. Scotty Bowman won nine Stanley Cups as a coach, and is regarded as the greatest coach of all time. But what makes this book great is the writing and the stories. Even if you don’t like hockey, you will like this book. One of the best sports books ever written. —M. Todd Henderson, Michael J. Marks Professor of Law
Dana
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This books is full of hockey stories told by the greatest coach, written by the greatest hockey writer. I would've enjoyed another 400 pages. The book would benefit from having more detail about Scotty's time in Pittsburgh and Detroit.

I enjoyed reading about Scotty's top eight teams. It was interesting to see his reasoning for thinking why one team would beat another.
Michael Mc
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports

The structure of the book, which weaves Bowman's biography in with his insights on the 8 best teams he has seen during his life, makes for a few redundancies and there is a Habs-heavy tilt to the book that cannot be denied and, frankly, ought to be embraced given the history and relationship between author and subject. It is an ideal pairing, however, and it is an endearing read that gives the occasional chill
Daniel
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book. Another fine read from Ken Dryden. He took Scotty Bowman's life and analyzed it while using Scotty's career as the benchmark for the many years and success Scotty had not only with the Canadiens but with St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Detroit along with his minor league and post coaching chores with Chicago. I recommend this to not only hockey fans.
Mike
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting read, less a biography than a look at Scotty's picks as all time great hockey teams, ending with how he thinks they might stack up against one another and who would end up on top (I must say I like his final choice!).
Tra Cey
Not so much a Scotty Bowman memoir more if a Ken Dryden talking hockey book.
Daniel Lambert
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ken Dryden is a master! This is a great bio of Scotty and an awesome history of the NHL. If you read The Game you need to read Scotty!
Ron
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Dryden brings his focus to his former coach, the greatest hockey coach who ever lived, Scotty Bowman. In a collaborative biography, Dryden engages Bowman into discussing his life, and also rating the greatest teams in Scotty's lifetime. An interesting approach, but especially how eventually Bowman and Dryden compare great teams from different eras. How would the Sawchuk-Howe-Lindsay-Kelly Red Wings teams of the early 1950's compare with the Gretzky-Messier-Coffey Oilers of the 1980's?

We
Richard Lehingrat
Jan 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Bowman and Dryden play it very safe, few intimate stories, little that would shock an average Canadian hockey fan and nothing that would anger anyone who ever crossed Bowman’s travels in the sport. A decent read for a hockey historian, but not up to Dryden’s standard of puck-lit. *
Dave
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dryden and Bowman’s passion and reverence for the game are evident throughout. Great tales and insights. Exceeded my expectations (which were lofty to begin with). Struggled at times with accepting the structure of the book (particularly near the end), but it’s a minor quibble

Arlo Johnson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This biography was unique because the author in fact played for the coach that the book is about. I have never been very interested in hockey, save watching games with my dad (a big hockey fan), however I couldn't help feeling drawn to Scotty's life story, and all he has done for the sport. Also, readers can see into the mind of a former professional goalkeeper, and see the game in a new way. If you like hockey, than this book is for you.
John
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great book that you can’t put down. The amount of details and first hand information make this book amazing.
William Mac
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book, awesome stories told by one of the greatest coaches in NHL on great NHL hockey teams starting from 1950. It is must read.
D Nichols
Great book. There was lots of talk about some of the stars he coached, names of stars I recognized from when I was a kid. It was a very interesting read.
Michael Harvey
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant piece of work from Mr.Dryden. Thank you Mr.Bowman for sharing your life's story, your insights, your genius.

I was hoping we'd get some clarification though about my favourite Scotty quote. In response to someone saying how good a player is in the dressing room, paraphrasing Scotty "then we should leave him in the dressing room" something to that effect...I love it...anyway...completely enjoyed this book. Thank you.
Kathy Smitheman
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ken-dryden
I think this might be the BEST book about hockey from the real inside I have ever read. Bowman & Dryden make a great team, just like in the 70’s!
Jack
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. It takes you on a journey through hockey history seen through the eyes of arguably the greatest coach of all time, Scotty Bowman. Very interesting to learn how the game has evolved over time and how Bowman describes some of the greats like Gretzky and Howe. Phenomenal read.
Jeff
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very unique sports biography. The story of a coach, the winningest coach in NHL history, as told by one of this all-star players. Ken Dryden is more than just a retired athlete, however. he is an accomplished author with a unique writing style that combines two or three narratives into one cohesive book, which he does here with great success.

Dryden introduces the book by outlining his mission of having Bowman pick his 8 best NHL teams of all time and having them "play" in an imaginary
Nikolas
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must have for any hockey fan. Scotty was one of the best coach in the league's history. Well written by Dryden.
Erica
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a life like no other. Ken Dryden seamlessly ties together Scotty Bowman's life story with the stories of the teams he coached & watched. Yes, there are lots of stats, but I never felt like I was drowning in numbers as has happened in other sports books I've read. Very well put together.
Michelle
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the stories. Really enjoyed the which team would win stuff at the end. Hockey fans will enjoy.
Craig Gorvin

• Cujo: The Untold Story of My Life On and Off the Ice
  • Relentless: My Life in Hockey and the Power of Perseverance
  • The Grim Reaper: The Life and Career of a Reluctant Warrior
  • Full Throttle
  • The Other Wife (Joseph O'Loughlin, #9)
  • Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal
  • Before the Lights Go Out: A Season Inside a Game on the Brink
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law
  • The Closer: My Story
  • The Dark Tourist
  • Cold Storage
  • The Witches Are Coming
Kenneth Wayne "Ken" Dryden is a Canadian politician, lawyer, businessman, author, and former NHL goaltender. He is an officer of the Order of Canada and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Dryden was a Liberal Member of Parliament from 2004, also serving as a cabinet minister from 2004 to 2006, until losing his seat in the 2011 Canadian federal elections to Conservative Mark Adler.