Start by marking “Airplane Mode” as Want to Read:
Airplane Mode

Airplane Mode

“If you ever met a god,” she said, “the only rational course of action would be to kill it as quickly as possible.”

Cassandra travels on airplanes for a living, but now airplanes have begun to follow her. A state-of-the-art spy plane with no official owner circles over every city she visits. A darkened fighter jet lurks off the wing of her red-eye flight into Reno. On the g
Published July 29th 2019 by Storybreak LLC

To ask other readers questions about Airplane Mode, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Airplane Mode

Start your review of Airplane Mode
Ellen Lee
Aug 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
REVIEW DELETED
Anne Fletcher
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am convinced that Elliott Downing is a genius, and his brilliance comes through strong yet again in Airplane Mode. Genre-wise, I would compare this book to the works of Isaac Asmiov and Ray Bradbury, but with a modern twist.

It follows the story of Cassandra, a young woman who travels all over the country for work, as she discovers that a surveillance plane has apparently been following her for some time. She winds up reluctantly dragged into a plot to discover more about said plane, and that's
Bryon Cahill
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having just finished Airplane Mode, I should probably do something else now, like go outside for some fresh air. Take a walk. Be unplugged. Do anything but write a review on my iPhone. Have we learned nothing, George Orwell?

To whomever (or whatever) is listening, reading, watching, analyzing: be gentle with us. We are but single-consciousness individuals who go about our days and nights glued to screens and gadgets. To wit, we are mostly harmless. Yes, we have our share of problems and faults. B
Farhan
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of science fiction, and cerebral science fiction, particularly. I read a lot of sci-fi, the unfortunate but inevitable consequence being that it has turned me into a jaded reader. It takes a lot to thrill me, to jolt me.

Mr. Downing thrilled me, jolted me, kept me glued to the book, and in the end answered all the questions and bridged all the plot holes that I thought he had overlooked.

A couple of days back, I was googling to discover a good sci-fi novel, albeit an obscure one,
Eva Kenieva
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just spent the morning devouring this novel and it is excellent! The author did a great job of weaving the perspectives of hackers, preppers, and other paranoid people into the story. He knows all kinds of obscure things that made up the twisting, intricate plot, including the hobby of "planespotting", which I'd never heard of. I fly a lot, so I'm thinking of taking it up to make travel less tedious. The protagonist is a woman and despite being a man, Downing accurately depicted the safety and ...more
Jeffrey
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
AI Awakens

An end-of-the world, artificial intelligence thriller, the story carries one along like an airplane on final approach, a very easy and enjoyable read.
Characters are fleshed out well and for the most part consistently believable except for Crimson. I had a difficult time keeping in mind that Crimson was an older woman.
I enjoyed the vigorous debate between Graham and Cassandra concerning the pros and cons of privacy versus surveillance.
I was disappointed in the surprise ending, I was roo
Gloria Glynn
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and thought provoking

This book is a quick satisfying read. It will definitely get you thinking, at the very least about deleting those social media accounts asap and maybe pulling the plug entirely.
Lisa Marable
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very good read!!

This has an outer limits vibe that I thoroughly enjoyed. Wasn't quite ready for it to end. It's just different enough to not be predictable and still be believable.
James Elliott
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a fun entrant in the “computer network becomes self aware” trope, more of a popcorn read than anything groundbreaking, but it fits nicely in today’s world of social networks and the gig economy.
Linda
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Story

This story makes you really think about all the info we share with technology. No spoilers if you enjoy an exciting sci-fi read get this book. Enjoyed the book and characters too.
Hugh Gurin
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable.

Smart and fast-moving. Reminds me of Cory Doctorow, with a little Lee Child, too. Glad I checked this out; you will be, too.
Jim Donahue
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A genuinely unsettling, well-researched paranoid thriller. Reminiscent of some books and films from the '60s/'70s (in a good way!) but with a modern twist. Well done--recommended. ...more
Mrs.
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Very readable

I enjoyed the book. It was interesting and well-written stylistically. My criticisms would include spoilers, so I'll refrain. Overall, I think it was a good book.
John Crawford
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really intriguing book - first book for a while where I really didn't want to put down. Not only is very readable, but there is a lot of science that is backed up - thoroughly recommended! ...more
Charles Barone
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lean, intricate, well written, and imaginative.
James Nichol
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting.

Very interesting seems like a conspiracy of pet theory. ( A little inside joke to self.) You ever feel that you are being watch? And then you find out.

Hollis Ramsey
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Spec-Fic! When is the film coming out?

What a wealth of concepts all gathered in one short book. I'm not very tech-savvy, but the nature and intention of consciousness interest me very much. It's well-written, with clear and precise descriptions of events, procedures, and ideas.

I don't want to give anything away, so I'm not going to elaborate further on the plot. I approached Airplane Mode with a fair amount of skepticism, as I'm not really interested in conspiracy theories or themes. N
Mary Thornburg
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The publisher's description of this novel tells you all you need to know about the concept, so in the interest of avoiding spoilers I'll add nothing to that. But I'll say a couple of other things:

First, I've read two shorter stories by Elliott Downing, so I know he's an excellent writer. AIRPLANE MODE proves to me that he's equally brilliant with novel-length fiction. From the end of the second paragraph to the last page, the suspense builds and never lets up. "Unputdownable" has become a cliché
Paul Bassett Davies
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a taut, expertly crafted story that exerts a powerful grip from the start and doesn’t let go. It gives us a chilling insight into the possibilities behind the world of perpetual surveillance and big data in which we already live, and creates a shockingly plausible vision of the real power behind it, and where it’s leading us. The precision and clarity of the writing create an atmosphere of detachment – a slightly inhuman objectivity – that fits perfectly with the subject matter, raising ...more
Eilonwy
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was on the edge of my seat -- and very glad it wasn't an airplane seat, as those things are hell on tall people.

Airplane Mode is a thought-provoking thriller about life in the contemporary surveillance society. Downing does a great job of drawing complex, relatable characters so that as they reveal their stands on issues, every position is sympathetic. Every tiny detail of their lives and point-of-view builds to the big revelations, and I need this book to acquire a passionate fandom that gene
Lita Brooker
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember the first time a familiar ad popped up in front of me on a social network site. I'd just bought something online that day, and there was an ad depicting the same item. At first, I thought it was an amusing coincidence. But then it happened again and again. A little worm of paranoia began to burrow it's way into my brain.

Elliott Downing's beautifully laid-out narrative suggests - in a more immediate than Orwellian way - that feelings of paranoia are not only justified, but warranted.

W
A.D. Elliott
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Fun!

I picked this book up after a rogue tweet convinced me the author has a unique talent of stringing together unlikely bits of imagery into something that is both entertaining and thought-provoking.

I was glad I did.

Within the pages of Airplane Mode, Mr. Downing created a quirky, but a credible tale of "the-end-of-life-as-we-know-it" and it's pure entertainment.

It was also pure girl-power. Mr. Downing wrote an imaginable ensemble of strong intelligent women, and, most especially, I apprec
Jennifer Dege
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chilling

This is the third book by Elliott Downing that I've read, and is as gripping and intense as the previous. Mr. Downing is a master of his craft, keeping his readers riveted to every word on every page. This review is being written well after midnight; I couldn't set the book aside. If anyone thinks Big Brother watching you was scary, or thinks prepping is for kooks, you might want to read this and just look up from your screen, take in your surroundings, see if you're being watched...
Kathryn L
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Timely

Also rather scary. As with so many other books, I want the next part of this story, though not sure it actually needs to be written.
Dave Lusby
« previous 1 3 next »

• Phenomena
  • Attack Surface
  • If It Bleeds
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Found
  • The Last Human
  • My Name is Eva
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • Primordial Threat
  • The Triton Disaster
  • Deep Black
  • Wakenhyrst
  • The Last Monument
  • New Eden
  • Jackie Kabler Book 2
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)