Start by marking “Fairy Tales for Millennials: 12 Problematic Stories Retold for the Modern World” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales for Millennials: 12 Problematic Stories Retold for the Modern World

Fairy Tales for Millennials: 12 Problematic Stories Retold for the Modern World

Welcome to the world of Fairy Tales, Millennial style...

Inside you'll find Sleeping Beauty waking up Woke, the Billy Goats Gruff getting trolled, and three little pigs explaining that - realistically - a house of straw is really the only way a first time buyer can get on the housing market.

Goldilocks discovers a darling little Porridge pop-up, the Pied Piper shifts his

Published October 3rd 2019 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales for Millennials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales for Millennials

Start your review of Fairy Tales for Millennials: 12 Problematic Stories Retold for the Modern World
Lieselot Mauroo
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word: HILARIOUS!!! I found myself bursting out with laughter several times during the reading of this book.
The stories are completely ridiculous (can't decide though if they're more or less ridiculous than the originals) and off the charts funny!
The parallels with our modern society in these stories are well written and make for some mind boggling laughter (at least in my case).
A very quick and easy read as well; seems like I finished a page just seconds after beginning it.
I enjoyed every
BlackfishGirl
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up and put it down extensively as there was a chance it was going to be ridiculously tedious. While some bits are a bit laboured, overall I laughed quite a bit and in several instances was a little surprised so I think for a topic that could easily go wrong, this is good fun. I wouldn't pay the full price for it but for £4 I think I got what I paid for!
I Blog A Little Bit Of Everything
Overall:
This book was decent. I did feel that it was a bit hit and miss, with some of the stories being really good and others being a bit sub-par. However, all around, this book was a fun read.

SNOW WHITE
4 Stars

This story was really fun and a great start to this collection. Im really liking the modern spin that they are putting on the tale. I also really liked how relatable the characters are and how it is easy to connect with them because most of them are quite frankly, a mood. I also liked
Sarna na Kiju
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was so terrible. The worst is, the author very often uses the breaking 4th wall of author speaking directly to the reader, and they think it's so smart and funny. It's not. It's annoying af. It's not original or funny or new or entertaining.
It did have some cool ideas, but they all fell short for many reasons. I would normally give a 2 start for the effort, but no. This is terrible. It's one of the books/anthology that tries to be super progressive and show the problems of the world, but
Azrael
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A number of classic fairytales, brought up to date with modern twist. Each one represents an aspect of contemporary society and attitudes. Although full of stereotypes it is all presented in a humorous, tongue in cheek style that makes for an interesting and hilarious read. From hipsters and instagram fame to commercialism and globalisation; trends in food, dating and social media make an appearance too. These fairytales examine the modern definitions of equality and social constructs, while ...more
Ex Libris Meis
I am a girl who grew up reading fairy tales, and I believe in them. The specialists could even say that I was influenced by them.
Bruno Vincent decided to translate the classical fairy tales for the Millenials, and thus he wrote Fairy Tales for Millenials.
As an example, I chose the Cinderella story.
In this new version, the stepmother is named Queen after the death of her husband, the rightful King. As a Queen, she decides to start a company where she gives the titles of CEO and CFO to her own
Ramona
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, retelling
Got this as a birthday present for my friend and I must say I really enjoyed it.

The premise itself was hilarious and while some stories were written to be obviously obnoxious - as they made fun of millennial tropes - I actually liked how the stories turned out.

Some of my faves were: Snow White, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Jack and the Beanstalk and Red Riding Hood.

The rest were pretty allright, except for the Three Little Pigs story, which I didn't like at all.

All in all, pretty cool read,
Sandra Campaniço
Uma leitura engraçada feita a partir dos contos de fadas mais tradicionais. Adaptação das histórias que sempre ouvimos em crianças mas que agora são adaptadas aos hábitos da geração Millenial. Como será a capuchinho vermelho com um telemóvel e um vício de selfies? E como seria os três ursos donos de um alojamento local com a caracolinhos a partilhar esse alojamento entre a sua extensa rede de seguidores no Instagram? Uma leitura leve e engraçada que recomendo a todos.
T.L. Clark
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was actually a Christmas present from my mother-in-law, bless her.

I'll start by saying this book made me actually lol 😂
I'm not a Millenial btw, I'm a Gen X (often forgotten about - middle child syndrome!)

Anyway...
This book takes some of the most infamous fairy tales and gives them a modern twist.
Gone are outdated viewpoints!
They have forms of social media and even Ogre Eats in Fairyland now, you know 👍

Look, different people are going to find different stories here funnier than
Nisha Patel
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These 12 fairytales were really good. I think the ugly duckling was one of my favourites but they were all quite clever. I loved how he took the essence of the fairy tale and turned it into something new and relevant for our day and age.
Sian
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Another very funny book by Vincent! I loved his Five series so I thought I would pick this up, and Im glad I did because it was brilliant, and I thought it very ironically relatable. Its about time someone shook those outdated stories up a bit! ...more
Deb Jacobs
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny
This was pretty funny and I liked the way that characters appeared in others stories. All twelve stories are well-known fairytales. I suspect it will become dated relatively quickly, but fun for now. ...more
Lara
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this. Enjoyed the writing style and the wit.
Anne-Wil
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun read. It is an hilarious take on the original fairy tales and you can really see the current times in them. Would recommend!
Helen Oldland
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brilliant! Loved the retelling of the three little pigs.
Nishtha
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hilarious take on traditional fairytales!
Natasha
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5. Really enjoyed the second half of the book, very funny. Not all the tales were as funny as others. My favourite was Sleeping Beauty.
Emily
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very self-conscious, and, by the end, self-referential. But quite fun!
Rachael Simpson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review at http://www.themillennialbookreader.co...

So for Christmas I got a lot of novelty books from my mum and I dont mind at all, theyre normally very funny and its a good talking point. And this year mum really won first prize for the best novelty book that I genuinely read and enjoyed. Fairy Tales for Millennials by Bruno Vincent was an amazing book, very funny and fitting for everything I love.
Daisy
Laura Manten
Jan 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • The Colorado Kid
  • 世界から猫が消えたなら
  • Garnethill (Garnethill #1)
  • The Salt Path
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • Codename Villanelle (Killing Eve, #1)
  • As the Women Lay Dreaming
  • The Test
  • Cunk on Everything: The Encyclopedia Philomena
  • The Butterfly Lion
  • The Poison Bed
  • The Cut Out Girl: A Story of War and Family, Lost and Found
  • Gather Together in My Name
Bruno Vincent was a bookseller and book editor before he was an author. His humour books for grown-ups, co-authored with Jon Butler, were national bestsellers and have been translated into seven languages. The TUMBLEWATER books are his first for children.