Start by marking “Cool for the Summer” as Want to Read:
Cool for the Summer

Cool for the Summer

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  6,996 ratings  ·  1,807 reviews
Lara's had eyes for exactly one person throughout her three years of high school: Chase Harding. He's tall, strong, sweet, a football star, and frankly, stupid hot. Oh, and he's talking to her now. On purpose and everything. Maybe...flirting, even? No, wait, he's definitely flirting, which is pretty much the sum of everything Lara's wanted out of life.

Except she’s haunted
Published May 11th 2021 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Cool for the Summer, please sign up.
Brittany Yes. As a teacher, I would say (and this is NOT snarky) that we sometimes grossly underestimate what kids are already hearing at school and there is n…moreYes. As a teacher, I would say (and this is NOT snarky) that we sometimes grossly underestimate what kids are already hearing at school and there is nothing in this book 13 year olds aren't hearing about from peers.(less)
RobinLikesReading She doesn't really label herself since the Jasmine is the only girl she's liked so far. I think bi-curious would be a better term. …moreShe doesn't really label herself since the Jasmine is the only girl she's liked so far. I think bi-curious would be a better term. (less)

·  6,996 ratings  ·  1,807 reviews

Start your review of Cool for the Summer
Dahlia
Oct 10, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
So excited that this book is one step closer to being out in the world! I can't wait for everyone to meet Lara, Jasmine, Chase, and the rest! Just for fun, here are five random facts about this book:

1) It's told in past and present timelines, with the former set in Outer Banks, NC and the latter set in a fictional town in Westchester, NY.
2) It's extremely bisexual/bi-questioning. (There is also secondary on-page aroace rep.)
3) It is obviously named for the Demi Lovato song, which also plays a r
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hands down. I loved this book. I enjoyed each of the characters. I liked the genuine, motivational writing style. And I liked the idea of self discovery, pure emotional, inspirational outcome! Of course I liked the bisexual love triangle theme between Lara, Jasmine and Chase!

The only thing bothered me was the beginning point. I didn’t get exactly why Chase fell for Lara because they haven’t shared a deep bond, never talked before. Out of nowhere he started to flirt with her and of course Lara’
Robin
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
↠ 3 stars

This Grease inspired contemporary with a bisexual main character was certainly something. Summer love is fickle, and for high school senior Lara it arrives when she least expects it: while on summer holiday in Outer Banks, North Carolina. Swept away from her friends in New York and everything she knows, Lara spends the summer with Jasmine, the daughter of her mother's supervisor. What starts out as an unlikely friendship quickly blossoms into something incredible, but when they part way
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
Man, do I love a messy queer love triangle. This book was SO MUCH FUN. It is full of pining and sass and questioning and FEELINGS and I highly, highly recommend checking this one out if you like YA romance! Seriously, so cute. This needs to be made into a summer movie asap bc I NEED IT

(Also, I listened to this one via audiobook and thought the narration was fantastic! Highly recommend x2!!)

CW: biphobia
Lex Kent
3.50 Stars. This was a pretty good read but I didn’t love it like I hoped to. This story had a queer Grease vibe that I was really excited about reading. The premise was good, but there were some obvious issues for me, mostly story choices, that I’m not a fan of when any author uses them. I have a feeling this book might work better for people who don’t share some of my dislikes.

Firstly while I didn’t like all the characters, on an overall scale I thought they were well done. Even some of the se
Irena BookDustMagic
Jun 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cool for the Summer was maybe the best book I read this summer and definitely one of my favourite ya contemporaries I read this year.

It is coming of age story done well, with lead character discovering who she is and what she wants and doesn't want in her life, and how dreams coming true don't guarantee happiness.

With wild cast of lgbtq+ characters that are, from my point of view, ,represented right, Adler deserves to be a new voice of ya contemporaries.

The story was good and easy to read.
I read
theresa
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cool For the Summer is a cute, summery romcom that puts a fun, sapphic spin on Grease. Adler takes her readers on a journey of self discovery and acceptance, all while exploring first love, friendship and identity.

There were a lot of things I loved about this book! Primarily, I loved Larissa’s character development as we saw her go from living in her best friend’s shadow and not being too sure of herself to really coming into herself and being confident enough to pursue her interests (namely, wr
cossette
this is probably a 2.5 star rounded up to a 3 star for me? i'm lowkey really bummed because a lot of people i know absolutely adored it & it was a highly anticipated read for me, but i just kept getting pulled out of the story from the way certain things are described. for example, the "non-binary friend" comment really rubbed me the wrong way, or the way each character's ethnicity was specified, even when it didn't make sense/if we never heard about that character again. at times, it felt lik ...more
booksandzoe
Apr 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Imagine: you've just returned to school for senior year after an amazing summer. Theres a new air of confidence to you one can only gain from a summer spent with new, incredible people that have taken you out of your shell. The boy you've liked forever, the captain of the football team, is suddenly taking interest in you. But just as you're ready to be swept up in the most ideal senior year you could've set out for yourself, a girl walks through the door of your high school. A ghost from your su ...more
Larry H
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pride-reads

When you get everything you wanted, why doesn’t it make you happy? That's a question at the core of Dahlia Adler's YA romance, Cool for the Summer . (Yes, it's named after the Demi Lovato song.)

Larissa has spent most of high school in the shadow of her best friend Shannon and wishing that Chase, the handsome star athlete, would notice her.

But having to spend the summer in the Outer Banks at her mother’s boss’ house changed her perspective, mainly because she got to spend time with J
Sheena
Hmm this book wasn’t bad but it didn’t live up to my expectations. There’s a lack of relationship build up on both sides (Chase especially) so I did not really root for either relationship. Lara was in love with Chase for years and then suddenly he has interest in her which I know that that can happen but it feels like it just happened for the convenience of a having a love triangle.

I don’t like love triangles but for the sake of this story I do think it works well, especially for teens growing
Bookishrealm
This book is definitely needed in the world. I wasn't sure what to expect but the amount of validation that I got as an adult from reading the book was astounding. I wish that I would have had something like this growing up.

I've had my eyes on this book for a while, but it's taken me a while to pick it up. I'm not a huge fan of Demi Lovato's earlier music, but Cool for the Summer is one of their earlier songs that I do enjoy. Lyrically the song explores the possibility of Demi being bisexual (th
Miranda
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Happy release day!

I received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was one of my highly anticipated reads for the year. The cover is amazing, and the synopsis seemed up my alley. I honestly did not expect to get the arc, but I was so excited when I did. However, this book did not entirely live up to my expectations.

Dahlia Adler’s Cool for the Summer follows a high school senior named Lara as she attempts to figure out her life and what she wants. After the summer, Lara’s
Kristy
A simply wonderful book about finding yourself and love

Larissa "Lara" Bogdan has had a crush on one person for her entirety of high school: Chase Harding, the handsome, beloved football quarterback. But it's not until she comes back from a summer at the Outer Banks that he seems to take real notice of Lara. Like, flirting, asking her out notice. Now, she suddenly has everything she's ever wanted. But Lara can't seem to shake her memories of that Outer Banks summer and the girl she spent it with:
Bethany (Beautifully Bookish Bethany)
Apr 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
If you've always only been into guys, and then that changes, what is the experience of figuring out your sexuality like? Are you still bisexual if you haven't always known? (the answer is yes, you are still valid) These are the topics that Cool for the Summer tackles through a summery YA romance that would be the perfect beach read. It's fun, thoughtful, sexy, and honest about how confusing the process of recognizing and coming to terms with your sexuality can be. It's the sort of book that migh ...more
Charmel
2.5?
mixed feelings (mostly disappointment). pretty cover though.
bella
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
updated review (1/15/2021):2.5ish stars. This was quick and overall fun book, but it was also heartfelt and packed more of an emotional punch than I was expecting. After reading this, my heart feels like a piece of chocolate with a gooey molten center. I did not think this book would cause me to cry/tear up multiple times, but I enjoyed the emotional journey. Unfortunately there were also parts of the book that took away from my enjoyment of it.

I liked Lara's character arc as she explored her s
Boston
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
This book follows a girl figuring out her sexuality while maneuvering through a relationship with a longtime crush. I think a lot of aspects of this book where really well done, but wasn't necessarily for me personally. If you're a fan of YA contemporary then I highly suggest picking this up, because you'll be sure to love it. I found some parts a little cheesy, but nothing too bad. Overall, a really great book, the rating just reflects my growing out of the YA contemporary genre.
katie ❀
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
[2.5] i have,,, very mixed feelings about this :/
Leah
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars

“Cool for the Summer” is a YA contemporary romance centered on 17-year-old Larissa (Lara) and her longtime crush, Chase, and the girl she meets over the summer, Jasmine.

Lara is known for her crush on popular quarterback, Chase. She’s been pining for him for years and finally, on the first day of her senior year, he notices her back. However, as soon as things start to look up with Chase, Jasmine, the girl Lara spent all summer with, shows up unexpectedly. Like most YA novels, this is
charlotte,
On my blog.

Actual rating 2.5

Rep: Jewish bi mc, Jewish Syrian American bi li, Black & Japanese American side characters, bi, gay & pan nonbinary side characters

CWs: internalised homophobia, biphobia

Galley provided by publisher

Cool for the Summer is a sweet enough romance, centering on Lara, who has a summer fling with a girl, then returns to school to find that her longtime crush is interested in her. Like I said, it’s a sweet enough read — I didn’t actively dislike reading it, but neither di
Susana
4 stars

I have THOUGHTS

rtc!

----

me: *sees the cover*
also me: *reads the synopsis and finds out that the story involves a bi MC and a love triangle with a boy and another girl*
*proceeds to immediately add it to my TBR*

----
when i tell you this sounds like my perfect book, i am not kidding
literally, what else could i want???

description

if i don't love this book, i WILL CRY

description

please don't disappoint me
*prays to the book gods*
Shawna Finnigan
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, so thank you to Goodreads and the publisher for sending me an advanced readers copy of this book.

As is clear by my star rating, this book was a big disappointment for me. The synopsis of this book and the cute cover made this book one of my most anticipated reads for the year and while it did have some good parts, it quickly turned into a little bit of a mess. Granted that this is just my personal opinion and I do think other people will like this book. I
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, yes, it's kind of an asshole thing to do to rate a book that hasn't come out yet, thus broadcasting the fact that I got to read the ms early, but you know what? I get to brag about SO FEW THINGS, PEOPLE. Let me have this!!
Ahem: This book is fun and sexy and bitastic and rompy but heartfelt and thoughtful and nuanced, too. Absolutely loved it - can't wait to get an actual real life copy and read it again.
Lexi
Jun 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
Oh boy, where do I even start? Buckle up because this is about to be a journey. The only spoilers in this review are issues I had with some of the remarks made by the characters and I feel that they are important to read.

I wanted to love this book because the idea of a girl being with the guy of her dreams but instead all she could think about was the girl? It sounded absolutely amazing to me! Sadly this book let me down in so many more ways than I expected.

I didn’t love Lara as a character, a
h o l l i s
If you're looking for a cute summery romance that happens to feature a girl torn between the guy she's crushed on for years and the girl she met, and discovered previous unknown parts of herself with, over the summer, you should definitely pick this one up. This would be a great way to kick off the season of beach-y reads.

How do you tell people who've listened to you babble about your crush on a guy for a thousand years that whoops, you spent the summer fooling around with a girl?

What keeps this
Iris
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This has not affected my opinions in any way.

Cool For the Summer is a perfect summer romcom—fun, sweet, silly, and just that perfect little dash of emotional. Exactly what I’m looking for when I pick up a book like this.

Cool For the Summer is also relatively unmemorable. This isn’t a criticism exactly, but even a week after I’d read it, most of it had already left my head. I remember a bookstore, a fun karaoke scene, some angs
Andy
Honestly just crying at how cute this was and how much the struggle to find a label that fits is.

Lara is back from a summer at the Outer Banks and she's determined to make this year hers. All things are going right when her long time crush, Chase, finally notices her. But then Lara finds out Jasmine, the girl she had a summer fling with, is also at school. Lara doesn't know what to feel and where her feelings truly lie.

A note on the Jewish rep first because I feel like Jewish characters don't ge
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 17, 2022 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Ugh. Two things pushed me out of this story. The entire romantic tension could have been resolved with an honest conversation. The thing is, they have conversations. But the author has both of them clam up, say stupid things they don't mean, and Lara is so far in her own head that a conversation of, like, three words takes pages and pages with no actual communication.

Which brings up the second, related, problem. I don't buy Lara. The story is trying very hard to sell me a love story where she ha
gauri
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
the blurb had me excited but reading it was not so exciting, probably why i felt like i was taking too long to finish a contemporary book.

i really liked Lara's character arc. teens questioning their sexuality is definitely a theme to be explored in YA. her confusion, internal struggle and self-discovery is sure to resonate among young readers.

but the writing and characters felt bland. i wasn't invested in either of the love interests. Chase's interest in Lara felt abrupt. her relationship with J

• Anchored Hearts
  • Beach Read
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Secret Bridesmaid
  • Maggie Finds Her Muse
  • Writers & Lovers
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • It Had to Be You
  • Heartbreak for Hire
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Guncle
  • The Map of Stars (York #3)
  • Switched on Pop: How Popular Music Works, and Why It Matters
  • Pixels of You
  • Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet
  • The Infinity Courts (The Infinity Courts, #1)
  • Transcendent Kingdom
See top shelves…
Dahlia Adler is an editor by day, a freelance writer by night, and a writer of Contemporary YA and NA at every spare moment in between. She's the author of the Daylight Falls duology, Just Visiting, the Radleigh University series, Cool for the Summer, Home Field Advantage and the upcoming Going Bicoastal; a contributor to anthologies All Out, The Radical Element, and It's a Whole Spiel; the ...more

Articles featuring this book

“I think about that handshake a lot, because it reassures me that it was clearly just a friendly suggestion. I had no idea what it would spark.” 3 likes
“Just because you're telling a good story, doesn't mean it's the right story. And I think that it's really important to tell the right story.” 3 likes