Start by marking “Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem” as Want to Read:
Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem

Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem

From Mike Michalowicz, the author of PROFIT FIRST, CLOCKWORK, and THE PUMPKIN PLAN, comes the ultimate diagnostic tool for every entrepreneur.

The biggest problem facing entrepreneurs is that they don't know what their biggest problem is. If you find yourself trapped between stagnating sales, staff turnover, and unhappy customers, what do you do first? Every problem seems u
Published March 10th 2020 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Fix This Next, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix This Next

Start your review of Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem
Scott Wozniak
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great overview of the stages of building a business--his version of Maslow's hierarchy of needs for businesses. In one way, it's a restatement of what many others have said in that the individual elements aren't new. But the big insight of the book is to stack rank them, so that you can know to fix this problem before fixing that problem. For example, if you don't have enough sales then fix that before you get better internal efficiency. Or, maybe less obvious, if you don't have strong ...more
Sarai Mitnick
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An extremely helpful framework for prioritizing issues within your business. I know I will return to this book again and again when I feel overwhelmed with all the fires I need to put out every week.
Dharmala
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fix this next is hierarchical progression of all the stages you need to identify within your business. Consider this to be your grassroots information that gives you a starting point for your immediate business need. sales->profit-> efficiency-> impact->legacy. Most small business are in the one of these phases and unable to identify the immediate critical phase. Don't get this book wrong, it is no way a systems book trying to help you grow. It will help you identify the next need and then you m ...more
Aaron Mikulsky
Oct 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Michalowicz discusses the Business Hierarchy of Needs. In 1943, Abraham Maslow identified what has now become known as Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Maslow’s theory states that there are five categories of human need: physiological, safety, belongingness, esteem, and self-actualization. In order for us to attend to something higher on the list, we first need to make sure that our needs are met in the categories below it. So, for example, before you can focus on meeting your needs for love and bel ...more
Nina Harrington
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Instead of doing little bits of everything, what is the one thing I should fix next to move the business forward?"
Mike Michalowicz answers precisely that question in this excellent business book for entrepreneurs.
By using a Business Hierarchy of Needs system, Mike has created a logical and practical method of assessing the gaps in the health of your business, so that you can fix each challenge in an ordered sequence.
The foundation level of this five level pyramid starts with the most fundament
Dave Irwin
Jun 16, 2021 rated it liked it
A fine book and a fine lesson, with some key takeaways however it is definitely a book where, while the central premise is clear, not every part of the book is applicable to your everyday as a small business owner. This is actually a good thing because it means you can come back to the book in a few years and see if you can pull out any more lessons that may be applicable to you at the moment.

I didn't love the parts in the book where the author spoke about specific types of businesses and how yo
Josh Patrick
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of all of Mike's work, I believe this is his most important one. One challenge business owners have is what should I work on? There are always things that appear important, but when you drill down, they really aren't. Business owners need a simple system for evaluating where they are and what will move the needle the fastest.

I love the Mike focuses on the Theory of Constraints as the best tool for improving processes in your company. I call the Theory of Constraints whack a mole for business. Fi
Bruce Harpham
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I came to this book as a fan of Mike Michalowicz. His earlier book "Profit First" was excellent and it has already paid dividends in my business.

In business, you face constant problems. That causes stress on several levels including the feeling that you don't know which problem to fix. Do you need to solve sales? What about systems? Or starting a pursuit for meaning? In this short, tightly reasoned book, Mike Michalowicz takes you through a step by step methodology on when to fix business probl
Myles V.
Feb 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found This Gleaming Sword at the Bottom of the Swamp

The reason why Mike Michalowicz’s penned gem is likable (or hated) is that he is willing to go further than any one else is willing (or understands) to go. After all, he’s”been there, done that.” But unlike the plethora of influencers and wannabes, he’s the real thing. You’re in for a favor—getting kicked in the rear end and getting your teeth knocked out with truth, integrity, and frameworks build into one and lasting. I end with a question:Yo
Hallie Talley
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to leave a legacy through your business? READ THIS NOW!

This was the first Mike Michalowicz book that I’ve read. I’ve heard good things about his books and was encouraged to read this before his other books. Boy, am I glad I did.

I currently run a business and am getting ready to launch a second one. This book, and the system contained in it, have given me so much clarity on what I need to focus on for each individual business. It’s easy to get lost in the weeds when you’re in the business. T
Jessica Berry
Jun 25, 2021 rated it liked it
I really like the idea, the business version of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. And the evaluation tools, I can see how those could really help you narrow down what to "fix next."

But the book was... eh, it was fine. Kind of annoying to read, and I didn't really feel like I got more with every chapter, it was just more of the same.

So def learn more about the idea, but maybe skip the book and just read a summary article or a watch a YouTube video. Here are the worksheets, these alone might be enough
Mark Oliver
Feb 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
I wish I read this book when I originally got it I think 2 years ago it would have probably helped save my business this is a must read for anyone within business or is struggling or has challenges that perhaps they don’t know how to overcome
Great use of Masslows Hierarchy of needs and applied it to business
After 3 chapters I bought his other two books pumpkin pie and profit first of which I will try and read this year
It is a good book I found the first three parts more relevant to me and pro
Jenny Erickson
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I definitely recommend reading this vs. Listening to it on Audible so you can reference the actual action plan easier. It's a simple framework to get clear on what to focus on in your business.

I got less out of it than I did out of Mike's other books but that's partly because I already have a business assessment of my own I created and use for myself and my clients and this is something I do fairly regularly so it was less actionable for me.

If you don't have a framework, this is definitely one w
Katrina Julia
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This is my third book with Mike Michalowicz!

I read ClockWork 2x, Pumpkin Plan 2x, and now finished Fix this Next 2x.

I love how FTN helps you diagnose & focus on THE key element to fix your business that will impact everything. Not only that, but to return to it over and over.

It has impacted my prioritization and continues to while integrating the ClockWork aspects (already automated over 80% of business over last 4+ years & over 10% delegated last year & increasing focus to ClockWork.
George Andrews III
Interesting way to think about limiting the scope of your improvement efforts

When thinking about your business it can sometimes become overwhelming where to put your limited time, attention and focus. Fix This Next is one framework to try and help with that dilemma. It might be better to return to as you identify the area and then read the different sections. If you are working on Sales the chapters on Legacy will seem of little use. As with most business books, a good idea is then drawn out to
Rachael | Booklist Queen
Mar 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
When running a business, it can seem impossible to decide which of your numerous problems to tackle first. Mike Michalowicz, the author of Profit First, demonstrates a simple system to help you prioritize your business's needs inspired by Maslov's hierarchy of needs.

Although I loved Profit First and use it in my business, I was skeptical of Fix This Next. Listening to the audiobook, I was underwhelmed by his newest business strategy and thought it sounded like cliche managerial nonsense. Then I
David M.
From time to time I read business books. Many of these books sound to me so detached from the real world of small business ownership as to be either unhelpful altogether, or at the very least, require work to port over the principles.

When I read Mike M., I do not have that problem. His books are relatable in the way that make me believe he has actually run small businesses and knows the challenges involved. That is a big reason for me to want to recommend his stuff.

That being said, this was go
Steve Brock
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was Stevo's Business Book of the Week for the week of 7/19, as selected by Stevo's Book Reviews on the Internet and Stevo's Novel Ideas. Business has a hierarchy. Fix that one thing next, and your #business will naturally/effortlessly level-up.

Find more Business Books of the week on my Goodreads Listopia page at https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9..., and find many more recommended books on my Amazon Influencer page at https://www.amazon.com/shop/stevo4747 or by searching for me on G
Artem Rodichev
Oct 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, extremely helpful, full of examples and humour. A must-read for managers and business owners of all kinds.

Mike offers a tool - BHS, a business hierarchy of needs. It is an iterative approach where you "scan" your business trying to find the right place to apply your efforts. Kinda similar to Godratt's "The Goal" (which is referenced in the book by the way), however way easier to implement.
Andrew Boimila
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always love a good framework and Mike delivers again. His books, this one included, are some of the best actionable books for entrepreneurs out there.

The BHN helps provide business owners with clarity and focus, two things we all drastically need.

Not sure what problem to fix next? Not sure what will propel your business to the next level? Read this book.
Brandy
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I think if I hadn't just read Profit First and got absolutely blown away, I would have liked this book more. Tough act to follow.

Main take away: Focus your business on profit making activities, meaning streamlining processes, cutting fat and getting leaner. If you're at the top of the game, compete with yourself.
Marcey Rader
Sep 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I drink the Michalowicz Kool-Aid and like this as much as his other books. He simplifies everything down to make the concepts understandable for any size business. He gives the steps to work through them without getting overwhelmed. One. Step. At. A. Time. and one part of your business to fix at a time. I used the checklist at the end to determine where I needed to fix next in my business.
Povilas Krikščiūnas
Book summary: prioritise.
But instead of diving deep on the topic of prioritisation, the author goes off on various broad tangents, never really hitting anything of substance - from quoting ideas of other authors, to presenting fictional future success stories which should happen if you just follow the author’s advice, to even explaining Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
Darya
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice and well covered info on business and entrepreneurship for those who just start or just got lost in their first venture. I think the information is well presented and the personal experience of the author is very appealing.
Alexander L
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fundamentals

Sometimes as a business owner it can feel like everything needs fixed. By focusing on the Business Heirarchy of needs, it lets me understand if I need to focus on the get or give parts of my business and when.

Worth buying
Vaidas
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would say book with an interesting edge of doing business and it’s core needs. Definitely forces you to think and apply the methods if they real works.

Cherry on top awesome narration.

I will check authors other books too
Jimmy Murray
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you are en entreprenuer looking to find your way here is your guiding light. Michalowicz is one of the best business Authors of our time offering prescient advice to small businesses around the world.
Marci Lambert
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Great book to analyze your business and for learning how to identify problems that need fixing. It’s great to see a business book that goes past the profit stage into giving back and creating a legacy.
Georgina Green
Jan 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, and the online assessment that went with it. I listened to it while driving, so perhaps not a fair assessment, but I found some of the implementation challenging. I plan to re-read following my FTN analysis and recommend buying the actual book to work alongside it!
Christian Ortiz
May 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Always liked Mike and his knowledge. Honestly he sounds alot like me to be honest. Same kind of struggles. Late bloomer. What I liked the most is this is a straightforward book. Read what you need in your business. Just what I like.

• Who Not How: The Formula to Achieve Bigger Goals Through Accelerating Teamwork
  • Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step StoryBrand Guide for Any Business
  • Discipline Is Destiny: The Power of Self-Control
  • SYSTEMology: Create time, reduce errors and scale your profits with proven business systems
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Your Next Five Moves: Master the Art of Business Strategy
  • $100M Offers: How To Make Offers So Good People Feel Stupid Saying No
  • The Minimalist Entrepreneur: How Great Founders Do More with Less
  • Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business
  • Business Made Simple: 60 Days to Master Leadership, Sales, Marketing, Execution, Management, Personal Productivity and More
  • The Gap and The Gain: The High Achievers' Guide to Happiness, Confidence, and Success
  • The Dream Manager
  • Traffic Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Filling Your Websites and Funnels with Your Dream Customers
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0 Revised Edition)
  • Courage Is Calling: Fortune Favors the Brave
  • 12 Months to $1 Million: How to Pick a Winning Product, Build a Real Business, and Become a Seven-Figure Entrepreneur
  • Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making
  • Twelve and a Half: Leveraging the Emotional Ingredients Necessary for Business Success

News & Interviews

The internet, on balance, has been something of a mixed-blessing for our species. But one thing everyone agrees on: It’s a great place to watch...
“instead of doing little bits of everything, what is the one thing I should fix next to move the business forward?” 0 likes
“When things are moving along but just not moving forward, FTN points to your true north.” 0 likes