Start by marking “Help Wanted, Must Love Books” as Want to Read:
Help Wanted, Must Love Books

Help Wanted, Must Love Books

When Shailey's dad gets a new job, she loses her bedtime reading partner. She immediately starts interviews to fill the position and is thrilled when her favorite fairy tale characters line up to apply. But Sleeping Beauty can't stay awake, the Gingerbread Man steals her book, and Snow White brings her whole team. Shailey is running out of options. Is bedtime ruined ...more
Published March 2nd 2020 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about Help Wanted, Must Love Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Wanted, Must Love Books

Start your review of Help Wanted, Must Love Books
MissBecka
This was a really fun story.
I loved how the author pulled characters from traditional bedtime stories into this book.
The illustrations were cute, but felt like they could have been more?
I can't even say what was missing for me in the illustrations.

The addition of some applicants resumes at the end was really fun.
I think that was one of my favourite parts.
Thank you NetGalley and Capstone for my DRC.
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Shailey loves reading bedtime stories with her father but since he started his new job hes been too busy. Shaileys solution? Fire her father and advertise for a new bedtime storyteller.
description
A host of fairytale characters apply for the job but none of them are quite right. Shailey begins to wonder if shell ever be able to find a suitable replacement for her father.
description
Some of my fondest childhood memories include trips to my local library to find new treasures. I always love books about books! I
Briar's Reviews
Help Wanted, Must Love Books is an absolutely cute, little picture book that will make your heart sing!

If it's not obvious, I love reading! So, when a book like this comes around I get super excited. What is more exciting than a book about loving books?! This sort of book (wow, I'm saying book a lot) would have been one of my favourites as a child. If only there had been a few more of these gems around when I was little!

Shailey is a little girl who loves to read. Her Dad and her read together,
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Janet Sumner Johnson and Capstone for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Ohh my stars this was EXCELLENT! It literally had a lot of what I love in a book. It was about Books which, let's face it, is good enough for me right there and doesn't need anything else to accompany it. But it did have more. It was about fairytales and it was surprisingly funny! I giggled at a few of the pages. It really is quite an adorable book.

It's about a girl named,
Janet
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, I'm hugely biased as to my rating. But this book idea grabbed me from the second it sparked. First draft was written within the hour (which NEVER happens for me), and I confess, I still giggle every time I read it. I love Shailey so much and her bold choices to stand up for herself and her needs. Still, I have all the sympathy for her dad. All of it.

I hope you'll enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it (and now reading it)!
Vidya Tiru
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts
Shailey is in immediate need of a bedtime story reader! She fired her previous one as he was failing to do his duties well (and if you must know, it was dad!)

And now, she is all set to interview anyone and everyone who wants the job. It is certainly an exciting few days of interviewing for Shailey as the applicants range from the gingerbread man to various fairy tale princesses to Captain Hook. She keeps making updates to the requirements based on each applicant, until she was not
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Shailey loves bedtime and her special routine of reading books with her dad. Unfortunately, dad is busy these days with a new job that keeps him on the phone and computer a lot so she has no choice but to fire him as her bedtime storyteller.

When Shailey places a help wanted ad, she is surprised by the quirky fairy tale applicants who arrive for an interview. She has some strict requirements that no one seems to meet and between Sleeping Beauty falling asleep on the job and the Gingerbread Man
La Coccinelle
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
The premise of this book is pretty cute. However, it's also one of those that seems to be directing winks at the parents, and that becomes problematic on one particular page when it assumes that its audience is more mature and educated than it actually is.

Shailey and her dad read a bedtime story every night. But when her dad gets a new job, he's suddenly too busy to read anymore. So Shailey fires him and puts out an ad for a new bedtime story reader. She gets plenty of applicants, but there's
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

This is a wonderful book. Shailey loves bedtime because it was when her father reads to her, but his new job interferes so she needs to find a new reader.

Its great that Shailey and her father are people of color. The fact that the father could be a single parent is important as well. Its wonderful that while the job is never detailed, the father is involved in something that requires books and electronics. With just these details the story does much in the way of
Etienne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good children book!! It was funny, have book love in it, always a win with us books lovers, it also have father/daughter relationship and a very nice crossover from various characters from fairy tales or other children classic stories. I enjoy this read! ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Shailey loves bedtime and especially loves reading bedtime stories with her father. Unfortunately, dad is busy these days with a new job that keeps him on the phone and computer a lot so she has to find a new bedtime storyteller. When Shailey places a help wanted ad, she is surprised by the fairy tale applicants who arrive for an interview. She has some requirements but each of the applicants has a problem, Sleeping Beauty falls asleep on the job, the Gingerbread Man steals her books, and Snow ...more
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story it is so cute. The illustrations and cover is beautiful. Shailey loves her bedtime, as her dad tells her stories. When her dad gets bust with a new job, Shailey is looking for another person to fill the position I loved that fairytale characters came to apply for the job.
Christina Carter
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-excursion
Reading bedtime stories is Shailey's favorite part of her nightly routine with her Dad and he is really good at cozying up with her in the rocker to share some of their favorite reads but lately, now that Dad has a new job, he's a bit too busy or just too tired. Shailey gets creative and hangs a "Help Wanted" sign that attracts the attention of a cast of characters that are eager to fill the position. She interviews The Three Little Pigs, Snow White, and the like, but no one measures up until ...more
Lisa Katzenberger
This picture book is super adorable! It takes a playful look at an over-worked parent and a spunky girl who is taking matters into her own hands when Dad doesnt have time to read bedtime stories anymore. The cast of fairy tale characters is just perfectexcept none of them are perfect for the job of bedtime storyteller. Shailey knows what she wants and she wont stop until she gets it. I love this determined little girl and was rooting for her to get the happy ending she deserves! The art is fun ...more
Beth
** I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This was adorable and I loved the tie-in with all the famous children's story. also diversity in picture books makes me so happy. Will definitely be buying this for my friends with kids and recommending as well.
Natalie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What an adorable book! I loved how classic fairy tale characters were woven into this book.
Such a cute tale about a little girl whos father is the nest at reading and sharing bedtime stories with her until he gets a new job which leaves him too busy or too tired to share these books with her at bedtime anymore, so the girl sacks him and starts looking for a replacement.
We 3njoyed every page
CR
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute little title that kids of that are just getting ready to read would fall in love with!! It would make a great bedtime story. With beautiful artwork this was one hit in my home with my kids.
Rod Brown
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A little girl's unhappiness with her distracted father leads her to fire him as bedtime story reader and begin interviews for a replacement. A number of familiar fairy tale figures show up for the job but none of them are just right. Cute and amusing.
Elisavet Arkolaki
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book about a little girl who loves reading books as part of her bedtime routine. When her Daddy falls down on his book reading responsibilities, Shailey 'fires' him and starts interviews to fill the position. Lots of iconic book characters try to get the job, like Pinoccio, Cinderella, Alice, the Sleeping Beauty, the Giant, but they all fail miserably! The best applicant for this role is, of course, Daddy, but he must agree that work related stuff are off limits during bedtime ...more
JenLovesBooks
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I both enjoyed this book. It had such cute illustrations, with lots of her favorite characters' included. There was the gingerbread man who made an appearance, along with Snow White and her "seven bodyguards", then came along a very sleepy princess whom we all probably know. The list goes on, when it comes to finding Shailey's new reading partner.

The only thing (well, maybe two things) that might have kept me from giving it that last star, would have to be how it's made the dad
Aya Khalil
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received at e-ARC of this book and Im ordering one for my children ASAP. This book is hilarious, yet also brilliantly shows the importance of reading books to your children and how much they cherish that. Its real because as parents we sometimes get overwhelmed and busy and might brush off reading to our children or cutting it short. The main character misses her dads Storytimes and gets some interesting applicants. Will she find the perfect one? I love this picture book and I know children ...more
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shailey wants her dad to read to her, but he is so busy with work, that he can't do it.

So, she tries to interview new poeple to take his case. But each applicant it not quite right, from Cinderella to Sleeping beauty.

She also keeps revising the ad to attract those where anyway.

It is a cute book, but doesn't explain how her dad is able tot come back, so easily.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Amber Webb
Sep 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am in LOVE! This is my new favorite book and want to gift it to everyone I know! I immediately connected with the main character who loved her pajamas and reading books until her eyelids closed, but then she started looking for a bedtime storyteller and the book just opened up on a whole new level. Every page had me giggling and completely understanding where Shailley was coming from. The end pages with the personal statements of some of the applicants was just hilarious. This should be on ...more
Hadewych thereaderinpink
I got this book on NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.
This did not affect my opinion.
For the Magical Readathon I had to read a picture book and I'm so glad that I found this one.
The art was really beautiful and I loved that it was about a diverse family, especially because it's a children's book.
Help Wanted, Must Love Books conveys a lot of norms and values such as diversity and family love.
I also loved that there were characters involved from fairy tales. I think children will love
Jenn Bishop
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to review an e-ARC of this story and I could not have been more charmed. So many kids can relate to the idea of a parent who's distracted by work and/or technology. I absolutely love the gumption of this girl as she interviews other bedtime story readers -- familiar faces for many young readers. Clever, charming, and heartwarming. And of course, perfect for book lovers.
Dee
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
This book is so fun! The title is perfect and the illustrations are beautiful and well-done. The story is about bedtime storytelling--something kids, parents, and other caregivers can relate to. It's clever (look for clues in the illustrations!), sweet (especially the resolution), and funny (don't forget the job applications at the end!). My kids and I ADORED it!
OjoAusana
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*received from netgalley for honest review* This book is ADORABLE!!! just too freakin cute! when robin hood showed up I almost teared up lol honestly a great book tho I saw someone else had gotten their hand on an ARC of this and knew I had to too and I am not disappointed !!
Abby Cooper
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO cute!! I love it and can't wait to buy and share with the young readers in my life.
Gabi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to read an e-ARC of this book. This adorable story checks all the boxes. Books? Check! Fairy tale mash-up? Check! Spot-on humor for both kids and adults? Check! A heart-warming father-daughter relationship? Check! A valuable takeaway that is not didactic? Check! Warm, inviting illustrations? Check! Check! Check!

Kids will love seeing their favorite fairy tale characters interview for the job of reading to Shailey and then watching as Shailey determines why each one isnt quite
Shari
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrensbooks
I was totally seduced by the title, however the book did not really deliver. A little girl interviews candidates to read bedtime stories to her when her father gets too busy with work. The candidates are storybook characters. This has been done many times before - not very original.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dewdrop
  • A Little Courage
  • The Arabic Quilt: An Immigrant Story
  • Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
Janet Sumner Johnson lives in Utah with her husband and three kids. She bakes a mean cinnamon twist and eats way more cookies than are good for her, which explains her running habit. Though her full-time occupation as evil tyrant/benevolent dictator (aka mom) takes most of her time, she sneaks in writing at night when her inner funny bone is fully unleashed.