Start by marking “The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)

The Evil Men Do

(Detective P. T. Marsh #2)

The author of The Good Detective delivers a gripping and atmospheric new novel in which a cop takes on a harrowing new case and confronts old personal demons. What if the one good thing you did in your life doomed you to die?

A hard-nosed real estate baron is dead, and detectives P.T. Marsh and Remy Morgan learn there's a long list of suspects. Mason Falls, Georgia, may be
Published March 3rd 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Men Do

Start your review of The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)
3 no 7
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The Evil Men Do” opens with the story of a little girl who knows things because she is a good listener and a good observer. Consequently, she easily notices the vehicle that had been following them, a Toyota truck.

McMahon switches to a first person narrative by detective P. T. Marsh. March gives readers matter of fact descriptions, factual and precise, as if writing a report. Details are complete from the blinds covering the windows to his approach from the left, waiting for his partner. Counte
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Men Do by John McMahon is a very highly recommended procedural.

Homicide detective P.T. Marsh and his partner Remy Morgan are investigating a suspicious death in Mason Falls, Georgia. Ennis Fultz is a ruthless real estate magnate who has made more than one enemy in his career. It appears that Fultz's oxygen tank may have been tampered with, but the suspects are many, including business associates, rivals, neighbors, and an ex-wife. As Marsh and Morgan investigate the death, it begins to
Abibliofob
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I am really glad that G.P. Putnam's sons and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to try this for me new author. I love small town police stories and this is one of those. I actually bought the first one to be able to read them in order and that was lucky. You should always try to read series in order otherwise you will miss stuff. This is a dark story that evolves through the books and the setting and plot is different from many although there are similarities with other mysteries. I actually reco ...more
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I have been looking forward to the return of P.T. Marsh since I read the last sentence of the last page of THE GOOD DETECTIVE, John McMahon’s debut novel that introduced Marsh to the world of crime fiction. A homicide detective with the Mason Falls, Georgia police department, Marsh is a tragic figure who is still emotionally reeling from the loss of his wife and son in a hit-and-run incident. THE EVIL MEN DO answers some questions regarding what occurred on that fateful night when Marsh lost eve ...more
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Dollycas’s Thoughts

My first experience with P.T. Marsh was gripping and this one was even more so.

Swarmy Ennis Fultz is dead and he left plenty of suspects behind. A very observant little girl plays a major role and P.T. uncovers more evil than he ever could have imagined. The deeper he digs veers him in a direction that appears to be personal. A direction that could cost him his job and maybe even his life.

Mr. McMahon has created complicated characters and puts them in complex situations. I end
Ed Mckeon
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this one. I loved McMahon's first PT Marsh, but there was something about this that skewed my feelings about the main character, and I think McMahon sometimes reached for easy solutions to transition his plot. Here's an example from page 260. PT is looking for evidence in his father-in-law's house because he needs to transfer some old photos, and he writes this: "I fished through the kitchen drawers and found an old smart-phone that Marvin used before his current one. The ...more
Matt
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator returned from the first book and was great. The Evil Men Do was a terrific second installment in the P.T. Marsh series. Marsh is a great character and I really liked him and his partner Remy. All of the characters were well written, the plot was engaging, and the pace was quick. I hope the author continues this series as it’s becoming one of my favorites. I want to see what happens to P.T. Marsh and his crew next.
Annie
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK
Brandy
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a flawed and damaged leading man. And P.T. does not disappoint! Book #2 was as good as the first.
Joy Dias
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
2nd in series. This was better than his 1st. Hope he comes out with #3.
Nancy McFarlane
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you loved The Good Detective, fasten your seat belt… this one is going to blow your mind! Once again, McMahon has woven a riveting, true detective story, one that is fast-paced and edge of your seat good! P.T. Marsh has a knack for finding connections where no one else can and before you know it several violent crimes are all interwoven and once again Marsh is operating under the radar without department approval. We can only hope that his personal desire for answers and revenge won’t take hi ...more
Carey Calvert
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"As a detective, you meet victims on the worst days of their lives. And you catch suspects who are the lowest society has to offer. And that's the day to day of it, right? Morning to night. Over and over.

But once in a while, a case is more than that. Once in a while you're confronted with true evil."

The Evil Men Do picks up where McMahon's The Good Detective left off; however, it's not necessary to read The Good Detective, first. In fact, reading The Evil Men Do, only makes me want to pick up t
Kathy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Evil Men Do by John McMahon is a riveting small town mystery. This second installment in the P.T. Marsh series can be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend book one as well.

Detective P.T. Marsh and his partner Detective Remy Morgan find themselves embroiled in a murder investigation after discovering the body of Ennis Fultz. Since the victim lives in an isolated area, they turn to the security footage at a local gas station to zero in on their suspects.  The first person who
Rick Treon
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The detective novel is one of the most celebrated forms of mystery fiction — and one of the hardest to get right. So, when a great new series comes out, I tend to take notice and shout it from the rooftops.

Consider this me shouting about John McMahon’s P.T. Marsh series, which continued with his second novel, The Evil Men Do (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, March 3). McMahon’s debut, The Good Detective, was nominated for the Edgar Award for Best First Novel. The winners will be announced on April 30.

Not onl
John
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I have not read the first book in this series, so I found the reliance on what came before informing the plot here a bit disappointing. John McMahon does a fair job of catching the reader up, however, so I never felt left behind. This is a compelling read full of all the expected false starts and red herrings. Things get derailed somewhat by the lack of thoughtfulness with regard to extrajudicial killings of suspects and such focus on the diversity of the cast it descends into pandering. ...more
Gary Regan
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His first book in this series The Good Detective was excellent and this this one is just as good. PT Marsh the lead in this series is an excellent but troubled Detective and his supporting cast is excellent as well. I may have thought the story line in the Good Detective was a little darker this one is very interesting as well. This brook brings a little more depth to PT Marsh and I have to admit I am looking forward to the next book in this series. A very good read bordering on the 5 Star range ...more
Cindyann
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebook
I really enjoyed the two books in this series and can't wait for the next one. I laughed out loud in a few places but also rooted for the main characters. Lines like 'He had a face you bought used' and 'He could start an argument in an empty house' made me snort. The ongoing sort of side mystery involving his wife and son (not a spoiler) is a thread I'd like to see solved while understanding why it hasn't been. And I enjoy PT and Remy's relationship. My favorite is Purvis, though..such a tr
Don Gorman
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
(3). I am sure you will enjoy spending a short time with P.T. Morgan (I almost dare you to put down this book). Another of those wonderful, flawed but totally engaging protagonists we seem to have around these days. He likes to “check all the boxes,” and that takes us all over the place all the time. A great pleasure. P.T. Has a myriad of skeletons in his closet, a good partner for his daily detective role and canine companion to lean on for comfort and guidance. We get a great story that twists ...more
Jo
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. New author for me. I will certainly have to get the first one and now am excited for the next in the series with this character. Police in a small southern town (outside Atlanta) certainly have a lot going on. The main character has lot going on in his personal life which ties in the murders they are trying to solve--and since it is a small town, everything happening impacts others in some way. Good read!!
Melanie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What a wonderful followup to his first book The Good Detective. A determined detective, flawed but not broken by the circumstances of his life, trying to find and fix the evil in this world. I can't wait for more from this author and in this series!

Favorite quote: "The world was full of evil men, but there was good in it too: a goodness that flourished and survived regardless of circumstance. In fact, despite it."

Thanks to Edelweiss for an ARC of the book.
Eydie sanders
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
With the first book in this series, I said that it was good, but he needed to lighten up a little. I gave the first book, The Good Detective three stars. I'm giving this one four stars because the guy can write! He is an excellent author and I intend to read every book in this series. But I still feel like he needs a hug and possibly a little more. Maybe that would lift the gloom and doom a little.
Paige Turner
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I love about this author, besides his books, is he describes ALL of his characters, including race. I have a pet peeve in that the majority of authors will only describe someone by race when it is a POC, and we are to assume all other characters are white. White people are described by eye and hair color, height and sometimes weight,however, POC, particularity black people, are almost always described by their race. So bravo to McMahon for this.
Gayle Turner
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Two days ago I finished The Good Detective and wrote a review stating I look forward to the next installment.

Yesterday, I went to the library and there was the answer to my request. I sucked this one down in 30 hours.

Now I'm probably going to have to wait a year for the next one. I'm assuming it will be worth the wait.

Read both of these. You'll be glad you do.

Then, misery loving company, you can wait with me.
Linda Bond
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just revisited a small town in Georgia – Mason Falls – where murder seems to happen on a regular basis. At least it’s happened again, and Detective P.T. Marsh is responsible for solving the crime. That’s if he can deal with his past and the way it keeps popping back up to give him headaches. The debut was fantastic. Number 2 continues the author’s winning streak. Can’t wait for the next one!

I met this book at Auntie's Bookstore in Spokane, WA.
Victoria B.
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a weirdly fun read for me.

P.T. Marsh (the MC) has his issues - I simultaneously pitied him, thought he was a bit arrogant, and also kind of wanted to hang out with him. Lots of conflicting emotions. I enjoyed his interactions with Remy as well.

The story was good. I read my physical copy, but then I also borrowed the audiobook from my library so I could listen during my runs because it got to the point where I had to keep reading to find out what happened. The pacing was fairly consisten
Patricia Mccammon
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A story that keeps your interest all the way. PT Marsh and his partner start investigating the death of a real estate baron; but there turns out to be many different people involved. Good story line and strong characters. Looking forward to another book with P T Marsh. Won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Maria
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This was such a fast read. The intrigue started right from the first chapter, which is only 2 pages long. It leaves you wondering, hoping and rooting for the good guy the entire book. I think John McMahon is my new favorite author. I will definitely be adding his first book The Good Detective to my must-read list and am hoping he writes more. Thank you #goodreads and #putnambooks got my copy.
Cat Roule
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
John McMahon writes a really good detective story! Fast paced, full of murder mysteries, twists, and old cases that might all tie together. This is the first book that I have read from this author - but I am sure it won't be the last! Thanks to Goodreads giveaways, Putnam Publisher, and Penguin Random House for this book!
Carolyn J Fidgeon
Good follow-up tu first novel

The ending was too contrived and draw n out, left room for third novel which I would buy, interesting characters, what happened to his girlfriend who just disappeared. Should have been more sexual tension between his partner and him..how does his partner.a homacide detective become an animal control officer ??
Larry
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot say that I enjoyed it as much as The Good Detective. But I did like it. I like the core characters that are returned and the underlying storylines...but this particular case didn’t capture me so much. It seems like they might be coming back for a book three. I hope so. I’d like to dive deeper into the characters.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Imaginary Friend
  • The Bramble and the Rose (Henry Farrell #3)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • City of Margins
  • Dog Symphony
  • Processed Cheese
  • The Remaking
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Suicide Woods: Stories
  • Kill Creek
  • The Laws of the Skies
  • Welcome to America
  • Fabulous Monsters: Dracula, Alice, Superman, and Other Literary Friends
  • Exploded View
  • How to Keep Your Cool: An Ancient Guide to Anger Management
John McMahon is the author of THE GOOD DETECTIVE and THE EVIL MEN DO, both featuring Georgia detective P.T. Marsh.

The New York Times Book Review called McMahon “one of those rare writers who seems to have sprung out of nowhere” and whose debut novel is “pretty much perfect.”

In his role as an ad agency creative director, he has won a Gold Clio for his work on Fiat, and he’s written a Super Bowl spo

Detective P. T. Marsh (2 books)
  • The Good Detective (Detective P. T. Marsh, #1)

News & Interviews