Start by marking “The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)

The Evil Men Do

(Detective P. T. Marsh #2)

The author of The Good Detective delivers a gripping and atmospheric new novel in which a cop takes on a harrowing new case and confronts old personal demons. What if the one good thing you did in your life doomed you to die?

A hard-nosed real estate baron is dead, and detectives P.T. Marsh and Remy Morgan learn there's a long list of suspects. Mason Falls, Georgia, may be
Published March 3rd 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Men Do

Start your review of The Evil Men Do (Detective P. T. Marsh, #2)
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Men Do by John McMahon is a very highly recommended procedural.

Homicide detective P.T. Marsh and his partner Remy Morgan are investigating a suspicious death in Mason Falls, Georgia. Ennis Fultz is a ruthless real estate magnate who has made more than one enemy in his career. It appears that Fultz's oxygen tank may have been tampered with, but the suspects are many, including business associates, rivals, neighbors, and an ex-wife. As Marsh and Morgan investigate the death, it begins to
3 no 7
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Men Do opens with the story of a little girl who knows things because she is a good listener and a good observer. Consequently, she easily notices the vehicle that had been following them, a Toyota truck.

McMahon switches to a first person narrative by detective P. T. Marsh. March gives readers matter of fact descriptions, factual and precise, as if writing a report. Details are complete from the blinds covering the windows to his approach from the left, waiting for his partner.
Abibliofob
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I am really glad that G.P. Putnam's sons and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to try this for me new author. I love small town police stories and this is one of those. I actually bought the first one to be able to read them in order and that was lucky. You should always try to read series in order otherwise you will miss stuff. This is a dark story that evolves through the books and the setting and plot is different from many although there are similarities with other mysteries. I actually ...more
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I have been looking forward to the return of P.T. Marsh since I read the last sentence of the last page of THE GOOD DETECTIVE, John McMahons debut novel that introduced Marsh to the world of crime fiction. A homicide detective with the Mason Falls, Georgia police department, Marsh is a tragic figure who is still emotionally reeling from the loss of his wife and son in a hit-and-run incident. THE EVIL MEN DO answers some questions regarding what occurred on that fateful night when Marsh lost ...more
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Dollycass Thoughts

My first experience with P.T. Marsh was gripping and this one was even more so.

Swarmy Ennis Fultz is dead and he left plenty of suspects behind. A very observant little girl plays a major role and P.T. uncovers more evil than he ever could have imagined. The deeper he digs veers him in a direction that appears to be personal. A direction that could cost him his job and maybe even his life.

Mr. McMahon has created complicated characters and puts them in complex situations. I
Annie
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK
Nancy McFarlane
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you loved The Good Detective, fasten your seat belt this one is going to blow your mind! Once again, McMahon has woven a riveting, true detective story, one that is fast-paced and edge of your seat good! P.T. Marsh has a knack for finding connections where no one else can and before you know it several violent crimes are all interwoven and once again Marsh is operating under the radar without department approval. We can only hope that his personal desire for answers and revenge wont take him ...more
Kathy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Evil Men Do by John McMahon is a riveting small town mystery. This second installment in the P.T. Marsh series can be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend book one as well.

Detective P.T. Marsh and his partner Detective Remy Morgan find themselves embroiled in a murder investigation after discovering the body of Ennis Fultz. Since the victim lives in an isolated area, they turn to the security footage at a local gas station to zero in on their suspects.  The first person who
Rick Treon
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The detective novel is one of the most celebrated forms of mystery fiction and one of the hardest to get right. So, when a great new series comes out, I tend to take notice and shout it from the rooftops.

Consider this me shouting about John McMahons P.T. Marsh series, which continued with his second novel, The Evil Men Do (G.P. Putnams Sons, March 3). McMahons debut, The Good Detective, was nominated for the Edgar Award for Best First Novel. The winners will be announced on April 30.

Not only is
Jo
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. New author for me. I will certainly have to get the first one and now am excited for the next in the series with this character. Police in a small southern town (outside Atlanta) certainly have a lot going on. The main character has lot going on in his personal life which ties in the murders they are trying to solve--and since it is a small town, everything happening impacts others in some way. Good read!!
Melanie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What a wonderful followup to his first book The Good Detective. A determined detective, flawed but not broken by the circumstances of his life, trying to find and fix the evil in this world. I can't wait for more from this author and in this series!

Favorite quote: "The world was full of evil men, but there was good in it too: a goodness that flourished and survived regardless of circumstance. In fact, despite it."

Thanks to Edelweiss for an ARC of the book.
Cat Roule
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
John McMahon writes a really good detective story! Fast paced, full of murder mysteries, twists, and old cases that might all tie together. This is the first book that I have read from this author - but I am sure it won't be the last! Thanks to Goodreads giveaways, Putnam Publisher, and Penguin Random House for this book!
Maria
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This was such a fast read. The intrigue started right from the first chapter, which is only 2 pages long. It leaves you wondering, hoping and rooting for the good guy the entire book. I think John McMahon is my new favorite author. I will definitely be adding his first book The Good Detective to my must-read list and am hoping he writes more. Thank you #goodreads and #putnambooks got my copy.
Patricia Mccammon
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A story that keeps your interest all the way. PT Marsh and his partner start investigating the death of a real estate baron; but there turns out to be many different people involved. Good story line and strong characters. Looking forward to another book with P T Marsh. Won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Kat Walter
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a series, but mine ends at number two. I really resent a book written in larger print with huge margins to fill the required pages for a novel. The writing is disjointed and the editing is not great. Really wanted to like these, but, sadly, I just dont. Fell short of the mark. ...more
ELIZABETH TIERNEY
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just great! Well written and plotted and sensitive -- look forward to the next.
John Wintersteen
Mar 07, 2020 marked it as wish-list-possibles
Shelves: priorities
Upon Marilyn Stasio Mar 6, 2020 column. Note this the second in the series.
Cindy
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Although this is a stand alone book I wish I had read "The Good Detective" first. I feel I missed background. It was a quick read. I would read another book by John McMahon.
Ron Frampton
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A debut crime novel that has you waiting for the next novel.
Boris Feldman
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging police procedural that interweaves multiple murders cleverly, but leaves at least one unresolved for a future sequel.
Corey Henio
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Men Do is one hell of a page turner. It was never short on surprises and it wasnt low on the suspense. Im glad I got to read this before it was officially released! ...more
Junella Reese
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love P.T. Marsh, cant wait to see what is next for him! ...more
Margaux
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review being submitted to Booklist for the Audio edition!
Cathy Forester
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-book-shelf
This is such a good series, can't wait for the next book.
Rebecca Minnock
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Men Do is a superb sequel to The Good Detective.

Detective P.T. Marsh is still haunted by the death of his wife and son. A new murder leads him on a path to find not only the killer, but answers about his wife and son.

An intricate plot, expertly written, with a real Southern feel, McMahon has absolutely knocked this one out of the park. I am so excited to see where he takes Detective Marsh next!
JP
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

A real page turner. Cant wait to see what else this author writes.
Cheryl N. Hayes
Mar 06, 2020
Susan
Mar 09, 2020
Barbara Honigsberg
Mar 13, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Boy from the Woods
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Dog Symphony
  • Processed Cheese
  • The Remaking
  • The Glass Hotel
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Suicide Woods: Stories
  • Kill Creek
  • Les lois du ciel
  • Välkommen till Amerika
  • Fabulous Monsters: Dracula, Alice, Superman, and Other Literary Friends
John McMahon is the author of THE GOOD DETECTIVE and THE EVIL MEN DO, both featuring Georgia detective P.T. Marsh.

The New York Times Book Review called McMahon one of those rare writers who seems to have sprung out of nowhere and whose debut novel is pretty much perfect.

In his role as an ad agency creative director, he has won a Gold Clio for his work on Fiat, and hes written a Super Bowl spot for

Detective P. T. Marsh (2 books)
  • The Good Detective (Detective P. T. Marsh, #1)