Start by marking “Rose” as Want to Read:
Rose

Rose

Rose Taggert awakens in a greenhouse with no clear memory of the past two years and, to her horror, finds her body transformed into an unrecognizable form.

Paris Kuyper has convinced Rose that they are lovers and as Paris could not bear for her to die, he has used an ancient and dark magic to save her from certain death.

But the dark magic Paris has used comes at a price. A

Published June 19th 2019 by Castrum Press

To ask other readers questions about Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose

Start your review of Rose
✨Sumi's Books✨
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I decline to give a full review on this book due to it's low rating from me.

UPDATE: This book had a very interesting premise and had a lot of potential. However, this book has major editing issues. There are tons of typos, misspellings and grammatical errors throughout the book. Also towards the end of the book there is a chapter that describes two characters by name and then as you carry on into the next chapter their names have completely changed. I really would have liked this book a lot more
Helen Power
Synopsis
When Rose awakens in a greenhouse with no memory of how she got there, she’s horrified to discover that her body has transformed. Her memories are a jumble, and she encounters a strange man named Paris who claims to be the love of her life. She doesn’t remember him at all. He says that he saved her life using magic he found in an ancient tome, and that her bodily transformation is an unfortunate side effect. But there's a sinister side to Paris that scares her and makes her questio
Kim Napolitano
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a gift by the author for an honest review. My opinions are my own.

I looked into my email one day and an author was asking if I’d be interested in reading a new book? Intrigued I said yes and I’m glad I did! Rose is a wholly original story that has about everything horror and fantasy involved that it will satisfy every reader.

Rose wakes up in an unfamiliar home with her memory erased all of the past two years.. she’s in a panic because something is happening to her...

No spoilers,
Angela Misri
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rose is one of those characters (like Carrie in Stephen King's book) who pulls you into the story, wrapping herself around you, making it impossible to stop reading.
Nisar Masoom
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of the book from the publisher, free and without obligation

It has been a very long time since I've read a great horror novel. Rami Ungar's Rose (2019) is actually the first horror novel I've read this year while being content with reading other forms of content related to the genre (such as short stories, novellas, etc.). And I wasn't disappointed with my choice.

To start with, they used to say that a book cannot be judged by its cover, but nowadays owing to the wide p
Angela Smith
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Rose by Rami Ungar the same week I was putting in a fall garden, so it was an immersive experience. The story of Rose begins with protagonist, Rose Taggert, waking up in a greenhouse. She opens her eyes to find herself a changed woman in every sense of the word.

A fast paced, quick read, the story grabbed me from the curious beginning and held on to the last page. I find a lot of plots are either too predictable or the logic collapses.

Ungar has managed to balance the fantastical with the b
Isobel Blackthorn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AT first Rose seems like the sort of light horror novel that will also appeal to fans of YA. Very fast, punchy writing, the narrative action packed and filled with the angsts and worries and conflicts typical of those in their late teens. The story opens with sociology graduate Rose Taggart, who awakes to find herself lying on a table in a greenhouse and realises she has partial amnesia. In a few short paragraphs the horror of her new circumstances unravels as she finds she has been the subject ...more
V.J. Allison
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it in less than 3 hours. This story is one of those books where you can't put it down! The twists and turns of this intricate tale are mind blowing, each one more so than the last.

If you like horror and thrillers, this is sure-fire winner for you. Highly recommended!
Michele S
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down as I was constantly wondering what Rose would face next. The imagery and descriptions added so much to this story. This is a scary/fun summer read!
Matthew Williams
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this work, Rami Ungar paints a captivating picture of Japanese folklore and magic, which serves as a backdrop for a story about captivity, manipulation, and possession! His narrative style also captures the dread and claustrophobia of being a captive, not to mention the twisted pathology of the captor! Scary stuff, and all the while you're rooting for the bad guys to get their just desserts!
Spoon Gaia-Lotus
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book being a batman fan and thinking that the main character reminded me of poison ivy, I ignored the reviews and gave it a chance, the pace in this book is really good, I couldn’t stop reading, there were a couple things f point in the book where I thought wow did that just happen but then the story really helps the imbed the changes, the things I liked most about the book were the references to modern life which then gives you the impression that this is happening now and m ...more
Steph Warren
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and to Isobel Blackthorn of Blackthorn Book Tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Don’t let the beautiful, delicate cover fool you – this is out-and-out horror!

It’s hardly worth bothering with trigger warnings, as you can pretty much assume “all of them” covers it. For a short sample, we have – rape and molestation, violence against animals, violence against women (sexual, physical, coercion, financial, emotional…
Joyffree
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
From the opening scene, the reader is dropped straight into a nightmare that has somehow sprouted roots and constructed a life of its own.
As the story progresses we are given the necessary clues to find the answers as well as our way out of the darkness... maybe?

I'm trying not to give any spoilers. The number of twists and "NO WAY" that it drags the reader through is abundant.

Rose awakens but her memories of how she got where she is are a bit jumbled, to say the least. Paris assures her he wil
Tattooed Bibliophile
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I’m not that kind of god.”

Don’t let that fantastically beautiful cover fool you. This is a horror novel. Of the terrifying variety.

You see, Rose wakes up in a greenhouse. As a flower. A giant human flower. And the man who turned her into one to save her life is, of course, not who he claims to be.

Most horror novels are very tropey and predictable. Not. This. One. Holy plot twist. Now, I’ll admit, Paris doesn’t seem right from the start. That part is predictable. But don’t expect what happens ne
Elle
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Waking in a greenhouse with no memories from the last few years isn’t the strangest thing to happen to Rose. She also discovers her skin has turned green, buds have sprouted, and roots now reach from her body. A mysterious young man introduces himself as her boyfriend, Paris, and Rose has no choice but to trust him.

It takes a skilled author to make a single setting interesting and terrifying, and Ungar does it successfully here, with most of the novel set in Paris’ apartment, as Rose comes to te
Barbara ★
This is a story about Rose, a young woman who awakens to amnesia and struggles to understand what has happened to her and what continues to happen to her. Rose is subjected to horrific experiments and torture which made this reader cringe.

This is not in any way a romance novel but flat-out horror. You better have a strong stomach to read this one as the focus is squarely on violence against women in all it's variations. To give the author his due. It is well-written and certainly does draw you
Lel Budge
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose wakes up in a greenhouse, laying on a table surrounded by roses that die as she watches. She notices her skin is green, she has tentacles growing from her neck and rosebuds from her scalp……is this real?

Paris comforts her, tells her he saved her from dying….he’s her boyfriend after all…..isn’t he?

Will Rose save her sister? Will she ever be normal again?

This is a tale of dark, forest magic…..with some really dark moments. It also highlights abusive controlling and obsessive behaviour as well
Iseult Murphy
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Rose is the story of a kidnapped young woman who tries to escape the torture and abuse of her deranged stalker.
I enjoyed Rose. The antagonist was suitably vile, but had enough humanity that I felt sorry for him at times. Rose was a pleasant protagonist, although I didn’t get a strong feeling for her character. I loved the magic and I wish there had been more of it.
I was expecting a body horror novel with lots of details on a human transforming into a rose bush. I didn’t get that in this book,
Cristina Z.
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It started off as predictable, but the tension in the book grew so much I could have never imagined just how badly things would turn. The book isn't for the faint of heart.

Loved the Japanese and mythology references, I think they perfectly matched the magical side of the story.

The only thing I would have preferred to be different is the ending. The plot twist and its consequences could have been more detailed, but overall it was a good read.

Read full review: https://bookreviewhub.com/book-tour
David Powell
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rami Ungar's Rose immediately strands you in a strange and horrifying world. Rose Taggert wakes up to find she has literally inhabited her name--she is part plant. Her memory is fuzzy and her supposed savior has a temper problem. Things only get more weird and threatening as Rose tries to figure out what her transformation means. Rose is a botanical romance gone terribly wrong, and will keep you "rooting" for its beleaguered protagonist.
Niamh Morrison
Jan 16, 2020

• Girl, Woman, Other
  • Until Summer Comes Around
  • Ghostland
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • Zero Lives Remaining
  • Mail Order Massacres
  • A House of Ghosts
  • The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • The Wide Game (Harmony, Indiana, #1)
  • Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)
  • Amiculus: A Secret History: Volume II: Flagellum Dei
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
  • The Hellbound Heart