Start by marking “Little Pea” as Want to Read:
Little Pea

Little Pea

(Little Books)

"Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Jen Corace strike beautiful balance between story and art in Little Pea." The New York Times

A sweet and amusing story to which little picky eaters can relate: If Little Pea doesn't eat all of his sweets, there will be no vegetables for dessert! What's a young pea to do? A delightful twist on a classic parent predicament, children will enjoy the
Published February 17th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Pea, please sign up.

Start your review of Little Pea
Cindy Pham
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick and simple 5 minute read; I read this with Nikkee who enjoyed it way more than I did because of how funny/cute the peas' faces were. I read this after "How to Make Friends with a Ghost" which I enjoyed much more because it was more unique and creatively put together; in contrast this was forgettable but harmless.
Relyn
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of young children
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
I loved this book. Really, really loved it. What a perfect ending. And, such an accessible story. I plan to use it when I do my mini-lesson on ending your story. (I teach second grade.) Endings are so hard to get right and this will be an excellent example.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last school year Sloane stayed home sick with her Daddy. It was about January of 2010. Anyway, she got bored, but had to be still. So, she reread Little Pea and decided to write a book for me. She called it Tiny Corn
La Coccinelle
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a cute little story that might appeal to picky eaters. Little Pea is... well, a pea. He lives with Papa Pea and Mama Pea and does fun stuff like getting flung off the end of cutlery by his father. But the one thing he doesn't like doing? Eating his dinner. All he wants is dessert, but he has to eat all of his dinner first. And for a pea, dinner is... candy.

The illustrations are simple but charming, and the illustrator managed to give personalities to a family of vegetables. My main
Jessica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This makes me wish I had a little one to share in these lovely little short stories Rosenthal writes.
Did I mention their cute because they are stinking cute.
Kelly Holmes
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Clever idea for a story...and well-executed! The text is concise, and the illustrations are adorable. However, we're not a huge fan of the eat-your-supper-and-get-dessert thing in our family, so it's not our favorite. But that's just our own personal hang-up with it. It really is a great little story!
Kathy
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Little pea is forced to eat candy for dinner!
J
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute book. Not necessarily the best for a read-aloud with a group, though.
Vijetha
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little Pea, Little Hoot and Little Oink -I read these three adorkable children's books yesterday which adopt the reverse psychology on kids, if it can be called that.

There is a common setup for all the stories. These little ones live with their Mama and Papa, they hate doing something that is expected of them (also, forced on them by their parents) AND love something that kids, more often than not, are stereotyped to hate.

Little Hoot hates to wait for bedtime.
“All my other friends get to go
K
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A really fun book to read with my toddler. She definitely appreciates all the noises that accompany the pea eating all the disgusting candy. However, I'm not sure if it's a book that we'll check out again. I know it's playing on the "finish your veggies if you want dessert" style of parenting that a lot of families have, but we don't have that in our home - and the later my daughter realizes that society values food differently (as in some foods are rewards and some are chores), the better.
Stefanie Burns
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little pea has to eat candy for dinner and doesn't like it. He's told if he eats 5 pieces he can have dessert. So eats 5 pieces and gets to eat spinach. Yum. The end. Short story that kids aren't going to understand why eating candy is so terrible. You can discuss how being forced to eat may make you not like it or too much of a good thing can be bad.
Sadia Mansoor
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
In the world of peas, everything is topsy turvy ;)
They have candies for dinner & spinach as a dessert.. Read this to your lil one & show them how the baby pea struggles to eat his 5 candies every night but gobbles down the spinach super fast! For him, the spinach is yum, yum, EXTRA YUM! :D

Here is the story of this adorable pea :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQM9r...
Norah Butchy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my mom when I was little and I loved it! Cheers to Little Pea!
Sally
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Perfectly cute twist on "eat your vegetables," for the pea is required to eat his candy before he can have spinach for dessert.
Bethe
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuteness overload alert - even down to the fun dinnertime twist. Peas are just such adorable main characters!
Elaine
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story doesn't have much depth, but it's adorable!
Kristi
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
adorable! we have this fight with our toddler every night it seems! haha
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I read this one because it came up on my GR recommendations, even though I actively dislike peas.

However the reasons that I did not like this book had little to do with my distaste for peas. In fact, I would rather see them playing in a schoolyard than showing up on my plate.

No, I did not like this book in part because it played to the gender stereotypes of dad a breadwinner and 'fun guy' and mother as stay at home caregiver.

But more so, I disliked the book because of the whole 'you must eat
Sarah Sammis
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc
My son has excellent taste in books. Earlier this summer he picked out Little Pea by Amy Krause Rosenthal. This cute little book about a family of peas has already become a family favorite.

Little Pea, the title character, reminds me a lot of my son. Little Pea every night is forced to eat food he doesn't like (because it's good for him). His exasperated parents ask him to eat five pieces. Little Pea reluctantly does what they ask but pulls the most wonderful faces as he takes his bites. These
Lisa Vegan
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all young children and their adults
This is an adorable book and it’s great fun. I am not convinced that it will actually convert children who don’t like vegetables into vegetable lovers if that’s a goal. It is a cute story though and the illustrations are terrific. The candy sure looks pretty but not that extremely appealing (to me) as none of it is chocolate.

I loved vegetables even as a young child (except for eggplant, green onions, and radishes - I acquired a taste for those three in adulthood) but I would have enjoyed this
Kaitlin
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't love this story. It didn't grab my attention. I felt like the storyline was boring. I do think children would get a kick out of the pea having to eat five pieces of candy before he could have his dessert which was spinach. I don't know how I would use this story in my classroom, the only thought I have is use it with a creative writing piece, "What would it be like if we hated candy and we loved vegetables?" But there isn't much teaching and good discussion that would come out of that. ...more
midnightfaerie
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Huge favorite in our house. My 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds loved it. Besides being a wonderfully fun story about eating right, the reversal food idea, of a pea having to eat candy for dinner and hating it, really appeals to my children. They were tickled pink with the idea. And I absolutely, positively fell in love with Jen Corace's illustrations. I never knew a pea could have so many facial expressions and be just so darn cute. It made me break into my terribly awful French Peas Veggie Tales ...more
Callistareine
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Working at a bookstore then going home to a three month old sister, I read a lot of board books. This one is easily my favorite. It has everything a kids' book needs, a simple story, adorable illustrations, and a wonderful example of reverse psychology. It's fantastic, and Little Hoot is equally worth taking a moment to read.
مازن
little pea :)

description

Check video here :
Alana
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I brought this book home with one of my girls in mind who was once caught eating sugar in her closet. Little pea cannot have his dessert until he eats all the candy on his plate. A really cute book!
Karen
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom
Ellie read to the dogs and then read again to me. Very funny book that our friends introduced us too. Great for kids and picky eaters or simply those who love candy!. Ellie said she would eat little pea's dinner for him so he could get his dessert :).krb 2/1/16
Alison
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I haven't made a habit of putting children's lit on my list, but dd got this book from the library, and it's a great read! Especially if you have picky eaters...so funny!
Pooja
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I want some little pea pals for myself now! This is the sweetest book I have read this year. From beginning to the end, it is filled with perfectness.
Mrs. Krajewski
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this one so much because Little Pea is the exact opposite of my daughter. If only she could eat candy 24/7 like Little Pea!
Stacy
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read and that is saying a lot! Plus it emphasizes eating your veggies!
Rachel Boruff
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Little Pea is a cute book that is written about a fictional family of peas. For younger students, this book has simple yet sweet illustrations. This book sheds light on the topic of healthy eating. The peas must eat their candy, but the youngest only wants dessert. This happens to be a green bowl of spinach. This book has a plot that I believe the children would enjoy. It is interesting how the tables turn when the candy is seen as the healthy food. My future students might see the pea eating ...more

• Chloe, Instead
  • Spork
  • 50 Below Zero
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Chicken Big
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
  • Walk on the Wild Side
  • Rocket Writes a Story
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School...
  • Baby Polar
  • The Tea Party in the Woods
  • The Day My Mom Came to Kindergarten
  • Hank's Big Day: The Story of a Bug
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • Scaredy Squirrel

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something

Little Books (3 books)
  • Little Hoot
  • Little Oink
“If you want to grow up to be a big, strong pea, you have to eat your candy," Papa Pea would say.” 12 likes