Start by marking “La cara norte del corazón” as Want to Read:
La cara norte del corazón

La cara norte del corazón

(Trilogía del Baztán #0)

"Cuando Amaia Salazar tenía doce años estuvo perdida en el bosque durante dieciséis horas. Era de madrugada cuando la encontraron a treinta kilómetros al norte del lugar donde se había despistado de la senda. Desvanecida bajo la intensa lluvia, la ropa ennegrecida y chamuscada como la de una bruja medieval rescatada de una hoguera, y, en contraste, la piel blanca, limpia y ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Destino

To ask other readers questions about La cara norte del corazón, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La cara norte del corazón

Start your review of La cara norte del corazón
Nursebookie
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The North Face of the Heart is a gripping and thrilling read about a talented detective from northern Spain, Amaia Salazar who is helping FBI agent Aloisius Dupree find a vicious serial killer dubbed “the Composer”.

This psychological thriller is like no other I have read. It’s disturbing, dark and devious, a delight to read for thriller lovers.

The pacing and reveal is so dramatic and adds to the reading experience.

Don’t miss this!
Nina
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mean, I was sold at "crime thriller centered on the Hurricane Katrina diaspora in Texas, with a Latina and a Black FBI agent as leads."

Add the extra intellectual spice that the [famous, best-selling] author is Spanish, has never lived in the United States, and wrote this with a European audience in mind.

Then there’s the added dimension that her English language translator is a Texan deeply familiar with both the cities and the linguistic code switching involved.

Even if the translator weren't
Thrill Seek reviews
“It all comes down to what you believe is real. “

The North Face Of The Heart is a fast-paced crime thriller. I enjoyed reading the story and learning more about Salazar's history.
Reading about the Katrina survivors was heartbreaking.

The Story had a bit of everything, murder, voodoo, a serial killer who is also a sadist, witchcraft, healers, and complex characters.

I liked that the author took me to New Orleans and included paranormal twists such as voodoo and witchcraft.

I have to stay honest h
Becki
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2021
Usually a thriller is entertaining, and fine to pass the time. This thriller is so wonderfully written—the descriptions of the settings and characters are as compelling as the plot.

While Amaia is visiting the Quantico FBI Academy with other international inspectors and detectives, she’s especially looking forward to a seminar led by FBI agent Dupree. Imagine her shock and that of her mentor when Dupree seems to be singling her out during his presentation. He’s already recognized her as a "needle
Margaret
The North Face of the Heart is the prequel to the Redondo’s popular Baztán trilogy, which I haven’t read, and is translated into English by Michael Meigs (who oddly turns up as a character: “our team leader there is Michael Meigs, a great guy”).

This novel tries to include it all: Hurricane Katrina and FEMA’s response, multiple dysfunctional families, multiple serial killers, unlikely romance, racism, misogyny, magic realism, good cop/bad cop….. The novel would have benefitted from paring down to
Jane
Jun 12, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, reviewed, mystery
Spanish woman assistant inspector attending an FBI seminar in Quantico, becomes involved in the hunt for a serial killer with a specific MO: killing a family of a certain size after a natural disaster and making it look like the disaster killed them. The case leads them to New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina.
Engrossing how the killer was traced and finally caught. Much local color in the form of LA voodoo beliefs. The book was a bit too long at 600+ pp. It could have been tightened. A
Veronica
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-espanol, fiction
Two stars because I finished it ... it took me months, and from about halfway I persisted solely for Spanish practice.

Why? What possessed Dolores Redondo to construct the plot of this doorstop of a book the way she did? I was quite looking forward to a book featuring Amaia and Dupree -- although I was expecting a sequel not a prequel to the Baztan trilogy (note: if you haven't read the trilogy you'll most likely be baffled by the Basque flashbacks in this one; if you have, you'll find them borin
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The North Face of the Heart by Dolores Redondo is a fast-paced, exceptionally put-together mix of mystery, disaster, greed, and growth.
Will Salazar and Dupree find the serial killer before he strikes again?
Amaia Salazar
Amaia Salazar is an Assistant Inspector from Spain at the FBI for a special training seminar for foreign law enforcement. Although she isn'
Joan Comella
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good and interesting. To be after the three previous book from Baztan series. This one happens in New Orleans during the Karlterine hurricane emergency.
Kayleigh 2babesandabookshelf
Type: #physicalbook⁣⁣⁣ #finishedcopy
Genre: #mystery #thriller #crimefiction #serialkiller
On tour: @mbc_books⁣
Must Read rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⁣

In a propulsive thriller by the #1 internationally bestselling author of The Baztán Trilogy, a female detective follows a sadistic killer into the eye of a storm.

My thoughts:

-Looking for a book with an extremely unique and chillin
Ann
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent police procedural. It has a bit of everything, murder, voodoo, hurricanes, witchcraft, and much much more. I really liked this book a lot. n a propulsive thriller by the #1 internationally bestselling author of The Baztán Trilogy, a female detective follows a sadistic killer into the eye of a storm.

Amaia Salazar, a young detective from the north of Spain, has joined a group of trainees at the FBI Academy in Virginia. Haunted by her past and having already tracked down a pre
Mary Coder
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am soo EFFING Excited to read this book!!! I just recieved my gorgeous pre-release copy from Meagan Beatles MB Communications And Amazon Crossing Publicity Thank you soo much! I have heard and read tales of Redondos works and have learned how accomplished and amazing her writing is! It's no small wonder why she is a two-time Dagger Award nominee and Planeta Prize winning author! I want to read them ALL!
I'm fortunate to have my first Redondo read be The North Face of the Heart due to be release
Lacey
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2021
A serial killer is on the loose in the United States. They disguise their victims as accidents by using the natural disasters that are taking place at that time. Amaia Salazar is a star detective from Spain who is training at the FBI when the second case of murders comes in. Due to her unique point of view and intelligence she is selected to help catch the killer. But not only is she on the hunt for the killer, she must survive a hurricane like no other.

The North Face of the Heart is 480 pages l
Genevieve  Paquette
This is a hard one for me to review. I liked almost everything about it, except... it could have been half its length and nothing would have been lost.
I loved the Baztan trilogy. The world building is fantastic, the protagonist's backstory is wonderfully, ridiculously, dramatically terrible, and the stories are well plotted. This one was, too, and I appreciated the way the author incorporated Cajun folk traditions into the narrative. The secondary characters were likable, the writing was smooth
Maggie Deaton
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply complex murder mystery spanning 18 years with a dark disturbing portrait of Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath!

A brilliantly insightful novel of an evil killer of families over an 18 year career eluding all pursuit despite a set pattern.... brought down finally by an international group of law enforcement training with an FBI task force. This novel written by a Spanish author and later translated to English also offers a compelling and frightening portrait of the devastation of Hurricane
Amy
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love thrillers and are looking for a new author to follow, look no further! Dolores Redondo's pace and style pull you into the story from the first page and her protagonist Amaia Salazar is utterly superb – a beautiful, smart, bad-ass who has a sixth sense for the truth! There's a reason why Redondo is renowned worldwide for her literary thrillers!

THE NORTH FACE OF THE HEART is set in 2005 New Orleans around the time Hurricane Katrina is about to strike. A serial killer known as the Compo
Linda
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a little confusing but with enough interest to keep me reading. It may be because there is a trilogy by this author that I haven’t read that would give me more background about the character. But this book has it all....a malevolent and sadistic serial killer, voodoo, witchcraft and magic, two damaged detectives with demons of their own, unbelievable stories and to top it off the most vicious hurricane to hit New Orleans....Hurricane Katrina.

The Hurricane is a story unto itsel
Sara Strand
Although I loved the premise of this book, and the story itself was pretty good, it was easily 200 pages too long. So much fluff could have been taken out and it would have really been a solid 4, maybe even 5 star for me. When you push past the excessive character development, and the extra stuff that made the police work slower and less interesting, the rest is really solid. I really enjoyed it but I just can't get beyond 3 star for this- the length really did me in.

Books Mademoiselle
Wow! That was SPECTACULAR. The best book I have read this year so far.

I discover Redondo earlier this year and I was surprised. She is such an excellent storyteller that I have already bought all her books in polish and English. It is a must-have for every bookworm/thriller/Spanish literature lover.

Amaia is a woman who intrigues me from the very first page. She has a great intuition like a sixth sense when it comes to crimes, murderers, and the motive of the killer. Coming from places where the
Gina
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Unlimited Adiobook. To be honest, the only thing making this 2.5 instead of 2 was the Katrina setting. I kept forgetting about the serial killer they were hunting. The book seemed to go on and on forever. It also bordered on horror rather than thriller to me. I finally DNF’d with about 2 hours to go, found I had no interest in finding out who the serial killer was or in what happened to these people. Just not for me and I won’t go on with the series. This was translated to English from Sp ...more
Cat
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dolores Redondo books featuring Amaia Salazar are a must read for lovers of police / dark thrillers. Can take your sleep way though...
They are also much more than that. A great insight into anthropology of religion, ethnography of Basque country and in this particular case, rich mythology of Louisiana.
Pauline Liu-Devereux
An excellent read

I'd read the books that preceded this one and though enjoyable, they focused a little too much on myths and legends for my liking. By broadening the scope of this book and setting it in the period before her previous Salazar novels Redondo has produced a gripping and convincing tale that surpasses the promise of her earlier work.
Patricia Schneider
Couldn't put it down!

I enjoyed this book tremendously... I won't be able to start another book while this one is still with me...The authors account of New Orleans before and after Katrina took the reader right in the middle of it with everyone else. The characters were amazing.I will definitely look for more books by Dolores Redondo. 5 stars is not enough!!!
Michelle
May 08, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The case overall was interesting, though I guessed the killer's profession within the first few pages as I felt like it was pretty obvious. I wasn't particularly invested in Amaia's childhood and skimmed those chapters.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Richard Sellers
Leftist goop

When I started this book I wondered at the complexity of characters and plot. As I got to 30% the Bad Guy was revolved as " evangelical killer " which turned me off, so I rated and went on. Don't attack your base.
DAB-E
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book that provides insights into a variety of areas, including: serial killers, vodoo and its Spanish equivalent, and killer storms. The descriptions of Katrina is so intense that it makes you "see" what it must have been like much more than the TV coverage ever did. ...more
Mayra Gonzalez
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.
david r
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
amaia salazar is THAT BITCH
Kerri & Colin Fawcett
Very good read

Plenty of twists to keep up the interest. Good the way the story is woven together.
Would highly recommend reading.
Alejandra
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Trashy but hugely entertaining
Goodreads Librari...: Please join these two editions 2 11 Oct 31, 2019 07:49AM

• Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • Rey blanco (Antonia Scott #3)
  • Terra Alta
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • La danza de los tulipanes (Ane Cestero, #1)
  • Aquitania
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca #2)
  • Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La puerta
  • El latido de la tierra
  • Las hijas de la tierra
  • El bosque de los cuatro vientos
  • La chica de nieve
  • La madre de Frankenstein (Episodios de una guerra interminable, #5)
See top shelves…
Dolores Redondo Meira nació el 1 de febrero de 1969 en Donostia-San Sebastián. Estudió Derecho y restauración y durante algunos años se dedicó a los negocios.

Comenzó escribiendo relatos cortos y cuentos infantiles. En 2009 publicó su primera novela, Los Privilegios del Ángel - (Eunate Editorial) y en marzo de 2013 se publicará El guardián invisible , primera novela de la trilogía del Baztán .

Actua

Trilogía del Baztán (4 books)
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
  • Legado en los huesos (Trilogía del Baztán, #2)
  • Ofrenda a la tormenta (Trilogía del Baztán, #3)