Start by marking “Testing the Waters” as Want to Read:
Testing the Waters

Testing the Waters

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  15 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What if the right person could change everything?

Random hookups, saying “yes” to whatever, Zane thinks adulting should be easy. His childhood was a hard enough mess. After a health scare, however, Zane reevaluates his life and starts anew. When Zane meets Jordan, everything he secretly desires is finally in front of him. But Jordan Shelby’s family practically owns the
Published by Skylar M. Cates

To ask other readers questions about Testing the Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testing the Waters

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Testing the Waters
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Testing the Waters reminds me of Skylar Cates' Sunshine and Happiness series, not because the stories are particularly alike, but because the tone of the book is mildly melancholic and the main characters exude real human emotions, like insecurity and fear.

Following a near drowning incident when he was a child, Jordan develops aquaphobia. His beloved grandfather loves to swim, so Jordan decides to overcome his fear and hires hunky trainer Zane to help him.

Zane is chiseled and confident, but he
Cadiva
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous romance from Skylar set in her Shelby Beach world and it just made me happy.

There's two imperfect people, each with their own hang-ups and fears, seeking to move into a healthier and better place and finding their support in the other .

I loved both Jordan, a wonderful depiction of a non-binary MC who suffers with a perfectly understandable fear of the open water, and Zane, who on the outside looks like he's fit and healthy but who is still in remission from cancer and hasn't
.Lili.
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Testing the Waters by Skylar M Cates is a story about trust. Both main characters have been hurt in the past, and find it difficult to open their hurts, but what starts as swimming lessons grows into more.

Testing the Waters had a lot of heart and felt real to me; I found myself emotionally invested in these characters and their stories. While it's true that I cry often during angst-filled moments in book, I don't often get choked up during happy moments, and I did, without realizing I had
Belinda Zamora
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's never easy to open yourself up, being vulnerable, especially after you feel as though your whole world has imploded.
Jordan has enough issues dealing with life because he's non-binary, dating is definitely not on his radar.
So lusting after his new hot swim instructor is as far as it's ever going to go.
Zane has had a rough upbringing and is getting his life back on track.
Jordan is beautiful and everything he's ever wanted, but there's no way someone that confident and put together would ever
Dixiecowgirl
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifullystory of learning to believe and trust in yourself. Just all the feels!

This is a character story, one that drew me in from the beginning and held me all the way through. i loved the character developmentand the feelof reality in their situations. The writing was good and the pace was great.

Jordan and Zane are terrific together, their chemistry, connection, willingness to be vulnerable all combine to create a wonderful story.
One of my favorite lines from the book is:"Hoped, not
Shannon
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemp, mm
this book was adorable. The characters were enriching.
I loved how Zane rolled with gender fluid Jordan. He accepted everything that Jordan threw at him with mostly grace.
Jordan was a sweet person who wanted to prove that he was perfect as he was and the water wasn’t going to stop him from taking care of his grandpa.
There was a lot going on this book. It felt almost preachy at times, but I went with it and the story smoothed out as they progressed in their relationship.
despite my comment
Diane
Trusting someone with your heart is hard. Especially when it's been broken in the past.

Loving someone, only to be abandoned, doesn't form a good basis for your future love life.

Luckily friends and family can help. As can the deep inner strength and self love you can develop and grow over time.

Sometimes love comes just at the right time.

You will find yourself caring so much about these characters. Jordan and Zane have very different backgrounds but inside, where it really counts, they just need
Amy Dufera
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok

Testing the Waters is an okay read by Skylar M Cates.

I like the overall storyline, but found a lot to my dislike. I wanted more depth, feeling it was too ambitious to cover so much in so few pages. I feel like that storyline needed to be developed in further depth over a lot more pages.

I enjoyed all the topics explored, and trust me, there are plenty. But they were all rushed, not allowing me to fully connect. I wasn't pulled into the main characters' emotions much either.

I wanted to love this,
Patricia Nelson
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a beautiful, grab-you-by-the-feels, poignant, amazing, fantastic, sweet, delightful, sexy, lovely, wonderful, and totally awesome story. I absolutely adored Jordan's determination to live life on his terms, and Zane was such a sweetheart. I was hooked from the very first page, and I can't wait to see what happens next in this marvelous series.
Zane Kage
Shelves: 5
So much love for this story, for Jordan and Zane. A fresh look at gender fluidity, nonconformity, finding strength in oneself, and love in unexpected places and people, this second book in the Shelby Beach series won me over quickly. Can't wait for the next one!
Stephanie
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a great read. I really love Zane and Jordan's story! Right in the beginning I am feeling for both of these characters. I just become so invested in their story I couldn't stop reading. This book just felt so real and I really like that. Definitely recommend.
M
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read by a new to me author. Skylar M. Cates delivered a story that was filled with heat and heart. Unique characters bring this story to life.
Anna
Feb 15, 2020
Bubbles Boop
Feb 17, 2020
Skylar Cates
Jan 31, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Chris Kottner-Kirschner