Start by marking “Devil's Creek” as Want to Read:
Devil's Creek

Devil's Creek

GIVE US THAT OLD-TIME RELIGION

And like most legends, there’s truth buried among the roots and bones.

In 1983, the church burned to th
Published June 16th 2020 by Silver Shamrock Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Creek

Start your review of Devil's Creek
Richard
Nov 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-horror
I’m scoring this a positive 3 stars and I’m sure many will score it higher.
Devils Creek by Todd Keisling was my Halloween read.
Always on the look out for decent horror novels this one caught my eye as it seems to be picking up a lot of word and mouth momentum.
It’s a big, ambitious and pretty good yarn, with the feel of one of Stephen King’s classic small town horror novels. Throw in zombies, a crazy religious cult and a monumental battle between good and evil and it becomes a bit of an epic.
Farrah
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐ 5 𝘾𝙐𝙇𝙏𝙪𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙘𝙠 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨! ⭐

I love this fantastic book! The author didn't just bring the story and characters to life, he brought an ENTIRE town alive and I felt like I was living among the unfortunate residents of Stauford, Kentucky.

𝙎𝙞𝙭 𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙡𝙙𝙧𝙚𝙣 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙘𝙪𝙚𝙙 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙖 𝙘𝙪𝙡𝙩 𝙧𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙗𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙨𝙨 𝙨𝙪𝙞𝙘𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙪𝙧𝙣𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙. 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙮𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙨 𝙡𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙬𝙣 𝙠𝙞𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙩𝙚𝙙, 𝙗𝙚𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮'𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙨 𝙬𝙝𝙤 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙥 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙧𝙚𝙥𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙩𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛.

'𝘑𝘪𝘮𝘮𝘺 𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘭𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘴
Char
4.5/5 stars!

If there were travel guides for places NOT to visit, the town of Stauford, Kentucky would top that list! Devil's Creek is about 15 miles away from Stauford, but that's not far enough to keep the town safe.

Devil's Creek was the site of a religious cult back in the early 80's, a site which burned to the ground in 1983. Those that survived suffer nightmares all the time, even though they've blocked a lot of their actual memories. The head of the cult, Jacob Masters, was a charismatic m
Sadie Hartmann
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I am fascinated by cults and cultish behavior. I watch a lot of documentaries about them, read true crime novels about infamous cult leaders and enjoy learning about the secret practices of cults. Naturally, Cult Horror is a favorite, fictional sub-genre but it can be hit or miss with me. I feel like a lot of authors want to spend time on the sensational aspects without doing the leg work developing the practical mechanics of a believable cult.
In order for me to buy in, I need a charismatic lead
Edward Lorn
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OUT NOW!!!

DEVIL'S CREEK is the horror event of the decade. While reminiscent of the heyday of small-town terror, Keisling rises above his inspirations, creating lore that is far deeper than the evil coursing beneath this town. I could point to the masters of yesteryear, and compare this book to stuff you might've read, but to do so, I feel, would be to do DEVIL'S CREEK a vast disservice. The book stands on its own, and stands out in the pantheon of greats that came before it. Keisling should be
Peter
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Wow, what a novel. Jacob Masters found a new nameless god. He and his followers worship them in a way quite different to normal religion. When six children of his should be sacrificed Imogen Tremly opposes the cult leader and kills him. Now thirty years later he seems to have come back! Can Jack and his friends overcome this uncanny evil threat? A nameless evil worshiped (had to think about Lovecraft's god), an extremely eerie priest (Masters), a small town, incest, hypocrisy, bigotry, depraved ...more
Michelle
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
"Old lies above, new love below"

Welcome to the Lord's Church of Holy Voices where Jacob Masters preaches the word of a nameless god.

1983 - Stauford, Kentucky - The Lord's Church of Holy Voices burns to the ground after a mass suicide. Jacob's six children manage to survive referred to by the townsfolk as the Stauford Six. Being the bible belt and all they aren't embraced by their community but reviled. Each longing to get very far away from their hometown.

Now an adult, Jack, one of the Sta
Kimberly
DEVIL'S CREEK, by Todd Keisling, is a horror novel that has all of the main components I look for in a great read. We have fantastic, fully fleshed-out characters, an atmosphere that switches between "worn-down" and "menacing", supernatural, occult, and even a bit of coming-of-age.

Thirty years prior, a "religious" zealot--Jacob Masters--who worshipped "Old gods" and depravity, held sway over a group of people from Stauford, Kentucky. A few stood up to him and managed to rescue six half-siblings:
Marie
Unfortunately I am not finishing this book as it is literally doing nothing for me. Some parts are spooky but then some of the book is long and drawn out. There are tons of characters to keep up with as well. It took a long time for anything to even happen in the story and though this book has been getting rave reviews, it just isn't for me.

My thanks to Netgalley and Silver Shamrock Publishing for letting me review this ARC.
Krystal
Okay I went into this really excited but unfortunately it kind of ... fizzled.

Mostly, the story just seemed a good excuse to:
1. Trash talk religion
2. Make people do weird kinky things

The story follows Jack, who is returning to his hometown after his Grandmother's death. Back when he was a kid, he was part of a cult led by Jacob Masters, who fathered six children specifically so he could later sacrifice them. Jack was one of those kids, so now he has to face his past, particularly since it seems,
Janie C.
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing ode to horror, rife with well-developed characters and a cosmic force of encroaching terror. This is a beast of a novel. Savor it with the lights on.
Shaina
Michael Hicks
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review of DEVIL'S CREEK can be found at High Fever Books.

Devil's Creek is the book that should make Todd Keisling a household name for horror fans. I fully expect it to see mentioned in the same breath as Stephen King's Salem's Lot, with Keisling's Stauford, KY standing alongside those east coast terror towns of Derry and Castle Rock, ME. Stauford's a special place to visit, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there!

Thirty years ago, a group of children were born and raised to serve as s
Regina
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Horror fans, take note! Devil's Creek is the real deal.

In October I read horror. All year long I save up my creepy books to binge during the lead-up to Halloween. Inevitably a few mislabeled titles sneak in, making me wonder how in the world they ever got classified in the horror category. You know the ones - haunted houses that aren't really haunted, vampires more concerned with love than blood, a monster that just needs a hug. But Devil's Creek? True horror alllll the way.

The novel quickly d
OutlawPoet
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Oh, I loved this!

You’ve got the small town you really don’t want to live in, a dangerous cult, a creepy cult leader and simply epic horror.

This is my first book by Keisling, but it definitely won’t be my last.

The horror here is fast, furious and intelligent. And, yes, it’s graphic – in all the right ways.

I felt like I took an epic, terrifying adventure in this read. In the end, I just wanted more.

Seriously looking forward to his next offering!

*ARC Provided via Net Galley
Tracy Robinson
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review up on www.scifiandscary.com

As the weather heats up, one of the things I love to do is pick up a chunky book and get lost. Devil’s Creek is indeed a heavy tome, but it also is firmly entrenched in two of my favorite sub-genres: small town horror and cult horror. Add that to the fact that I LOVED Keisling’s novella, Scanlines, and I jumped into these pages with glee.

The synopsis above does a decent job of highlighting the need-to-knows without giving too much discovery away, and I had a dec
Chris Berko
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very good, very effective horror novel that somehow felt both new and old at the same time. I appreciated the character development and even though there were a shit-ton of characters, Todd Keisling was able to keep the pace swift and everything else tight and focused. I'd seen a lot of stellar reviews for this lately, a lot of very high praise, and this, to me at least, was worth it. John Carpenter would have made this into a helluva movie, what with the old time religion, ...more
Sjgomzi
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2020
Just finished and was completely floored by this novel.
This cult horror juggernaut is a must read, and deserves all the praise and awards it’s sure to win. One of the best horror novels I have ever read! All the stars! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Well Read Beard
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Backwoods Cult Horror With Deep, Ancient Cosmic Themes.

The locale pulled me in. It bumped this book to the top of the TBR. The book takes place in Daniel Boone National Forest region of Southeastern Kentucky. Very close to the scenic Cumberland Falls and Eagle falls ( which is where I proposed to my wife ). So needless to say the locale was personal for me and that definitely increased my overall enjoyment of the book.

We start with a backwoods cult. Kentucky is known for its backwards religious
Shannara
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2020
This gave me some serious heebee jeebees and I loved it!!!! I don’t get too scared of ghosts, zombies, or scary monster type stories because they’re so easy to say, that’s totally not real. This book seemed so very eerily real that I’m not uncertain that this very thing hasn’t happened!!!!

Cults pop up all the time and while most people think, oh boy, another group of crazies getting ready to drink the juice, this gives a back story to one of those cults. We follow these kids into their adulthoo
Latasha
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
Devil's Creek is a great example of the crazy shit people will do in the name of religion. This book takes that crazy and pushes it to the extreme. This book was brutal and intense. Sometimes the hypocrisy hit a little too close to home and I had to set it down for a while. The writing is so, so good and beautiful. The story is good but sometimes was a little more graphic than I like to read. Song to play with this book: Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the name of." ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Todd Keisling delivers one of the best stories of the year!
DEVIL'S CREEK wails, even at almost four hundred pages, like a screaming devil worshiper ready to bleed for their dark lord! There are moments of near poetry, scenes of horrific gore, and the all important quiet moments that let you catch your breath. Put that together with a cosmic/Old Time Religion plot filled with fantastic characters and you're in for one hell of a ride.
I loved the nod to The Fog (Stevie and the Witching Hour) and
Bandit
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was all over my GR’s feed and everyone seemed to be reading it. From the amount of praise it received from very respectable sources and authors, maybe everyone was . Maybe this was the next best thing in genre fiction. At any rate, this book was sufficiently hyped up for me to be very excited to grab it off of Netgalley and read it. Then again, I might have read it anyway, I like a good scary story and I’ve actually read the author ages ago, I read and not finished (due to not having b ...more
Irene
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
Jacob Masters was a child molesting cult leader who demanded human sacrifice in worship of his nameless god. Fire may be cleansing, but when the Church Of Holy Voices burned after the dramatic rescue of 6 children, the evil did not die. The 6 children grew up, and as children do, some flourished and some flailed. These days, some people think the old stories of Jacob Masters and his church are just empty tales of the boogie man to scare each other with over s'mores around the campfire. Now that ...more
Andrew
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding cosmic horror that absolutely terrified me!

Looking forward to reading more by Todd Keisling.
Rich
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was the first book by this author I have read. I read many things about this book that it was a big sleeper and a few people were calling it the best horror book of the last 10 years. I was a little leary of the hype. This author has writing talent no doubt in my mind. I also say I do not read a lot of horror books that is a tough genre to be in-usually the book goes of the tracks. My favorite horror book of all time is the Exorcist. I have read one good horror book this year and that was t ...more
Jamie
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**Review originally posted on Kendall Reviews** http://kendallreviews.com/book-review...

I’m just back from a literary escape to the town of Stauford, Kentucky, and let me tell you something: this was one unforgettable trip. If I close my eyes and listen closely, I can still hear the children singing. Their lyrics may sound holy, but beneath the surface, there’s something sinister in their sound. They’re begging me to join in on the chorus, but I know better. The only hymn I’ll be singing today i
Joy Perry
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Not quite as evil as I expected but all in all it was a pretty good read. I would recommend.
D.K. Hundt
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

‘About fifteen miles west of Stauford, Kentucky lies Devil’s Creek. According to local legend, there used to be a church out there, home to the Lord’s Church of Holy Voices—a death cult where Jacob Masters preached the gospel of a nameless god.’

DEVIL’S CREEK - In a word, WOW! I Love This Book! Keisling has created a horror novel that I can’t stop thinking about, one of the best I have read this year.

From page one the reader is immediately dropped into the action—Love. It. The imagery throughou
Lyndie
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Old lies above, new love below"

Stauford, Kentucky is definfely a town worth avoiding, but whats the fun in that. About fifteen miles west of Stauford, Kentucky lies Devil’s Creek. Tons of small towns harbor secrets but few are as horrifying and grotesque as those buried beneath the burned out corpse of an old church in Devils Creek. Lord’s Church of Holy Voices was the home to a death cult where Jacob Masters preached the gospel of a nameless god. We quickly learn that just because something is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Horror Aficionados : July 2020 Group Read with Guest Author, Todd Keisling 75 150 Aug 03, 2020 01:59PM

• Crossroads
  • Dead Daughters
  • Until Summer Comes Around
  • Autumn Bleeds Into Winter
  • The Pale White
TODD KEISLING is the Bram Stoker Award-nominated author of Devil’s Creek. His other works include The Final Reconciliation, Ugly Little Things: Collected Horrors, and The Monochrome Trilogy, among several shorter works. He lives somewhere in the wilds of Pennsylvania with his family where he is at work on his next novel.