Start by marking “Watch Over Me” as Want to Read:
Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me

Nina LaCour delivers another emotional knockout with Watch Over Me, the eagerly anticipated follow-up to the Printz Award-winning We Are Okay.

Mila is used to being alone. Maybe thats why she said yes to the opportunity: living in this remote place, among the flowers and the fog and the crash of waves far below.

But she hadnt known about the ghosts.

Newly graduated from high
Published September 15th 2020 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Watch Over Me, please sign up.
Abigail Larion One of the background characters (Jackson) uses they/them pronouns.
Callie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Watch Over Me
Kat
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***ARC provided by the publisher***

a quiet, rural contemporary fantasy about ghosts & loneliness. it was definitely solid...i mean, nina lacour is the queen of writing sad girls and emo times, how could it be anything but? the way this book handles trauma and finding family was well done. i just wish there had been a bit of a bigger punch & had i been more emotionally invested by the end i think this would have hit four stars. out on sept. 15th!
Kai
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
Nobody writes loneliness better than Nina LaCour. I cant wait to wallow in fiction-induced self-pity. My heart yearns for this book. ...more
daph pink  || 君は
Nina LaCour writing elevates this book to something more than mundane and packs the real emotional punch that will have you doing what I call the " ugly cry" particularly if you are reading this book in public!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes sensitive, delicate, poignant hearted people can see things through with their third eye, connecting with restless souls to resonate with their own loneliness, grief, sadness, abandonment.

Have you ever felt like there is a big rock sit on your chest preventing you to breathe properly and have you ever felt like you are the loneliest person in the world as you stand in the moving crowd, barely restraining yourself not to scream, feeling the hurt of your throat because of sobs that
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
"...but it was difficult, when ghosts were everywhere, to figure out what was real and what was imagined." Think twice before opening up this book. Because...you will know the moment you open it up. I haven't been creeped out like that in years!

I took my own sweet time to read this short book. Because it gets disturbing at times. But most part of the book is all about healing and acceptance.

The story is based on a couple adopting kids mostly disturbed, traumatized ones; who has had a tough past.
Larry H
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Watch Over Me , Nina LaCour's new novel, is gorgeously lyrical and powerfully moving.

Mila has aged out of the foster care system, so shes excited when shes chosen for a teaching job on a farm on the Northern California coast. The couple who own the farm have been fostering children for years and are renowned for their efforts, so this is a real opportunity for Mila.

She is immediately blown away by the beauty and the solitude, and quickly connects with her student and the
sarah xoxo
"it was difficult, when ghosts were everywhere, to figure out what was real and what was imagined"

Watch Over Me is the perfect autumnal, slightly spooky read for October. If you are looking for an atmospheric and haunting read, but not a fan of thrillers or horror- I would recommend giving this book a try. The best way I can describe it is quiet, slow and weird. If you enjoy your contemporaries like that, with a hint of magical realism, I think you will enjoy this much more than I did.

This was
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
The ghosts only come out when its dark. (c)
Q:
They were wondrous and I was unafraid. Under the steady moon, the fog moving across the sky like a living thing, I watched for a long time, astonished by how lucky I was to have been chosen. How incredible it was to be there in that strange, incomprehensible place. (c)

A story of ghosts, twisted destinies, pain and growing out of your skin, fears and perceptions. Whoever had the privilege of watching ghosts frolic? Mila. Who has the born teacher's
may ➹
Sep 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
ah yes, cannot wait to cry over another Nina LaCour book,
ellie
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-release
this cover is SO beautiful. it's truly fitting for how beautiful nina lacour's writing is.

i will read anything and everything nina lacour writes
Christian
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released-2020
"I was surprised, at first, by her sadness. I had thought she felt only delight - but sadness, of course, was a feeling all of us have always known. Was a feeling I had known, even before everything else."

Screw Nina LaCour and her stupid word magic.

Much like We Are Okay, this novel is leaving me behind speechless. And I think that's fine, because I strongly believe that you should go into it as blind as possible, just like I did, since the synopsis doesn't really give anything away. All I will
solanne
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nina LaCour never fails to make me cry. I cannot think of anyone more deserving of such a gorgeous cover than her.
Angela Staudt
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Penguin Teen for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Watch Over Me is a haunting book full of grief and overcoming that trauma and learning to love others and be loved back. Nina LaCour knows how to write a very atmospheric book, that had you so immersed with the characters it was like you were experiencing everything too. I really loved how this book was written with the sad and eerie flashbacks and how real the main character seemed. Mila had raw emotion and was filled with such
Schizanthus Nerd
I hope you arent afraid of ghosts
Mila has just aged out of foster care and been offered an internship teaching children. She will live and work with her employers, Terry and Julia, on a farm in the middle of nowhere.
Everything was beautiful and nothing was perfect, and I didnt know how I could have been chosen to be there.
Mila is searching for a place to call home and desperately wants to keep the past in the past. No one told her about the ghosts, though.

I flew through this book.
Hollis
Right off the bat, I have to say : if you're longing to fill a hole left by The Haunting of Bly Manor, I think you should absolutely pick this book up.

This story is less about jump scares and actual ghosts, though, and is more about being haunted by your own past, your own memories, and the grief we all carry around that follows us throughout our lives. It might actually be the perfect kind of fall/spooky read for those who really can't handle big spooks, scares, or horror. This is more
niri
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, a-ghost-story
oh, i loved this, this quiet, haunting little book. nina lacour is very good at creating atmosphere, and at depicting loneliness; i love how she writes her characters, really allowing for the reader to get into her character's mind. a kind, moving book about grief and trauma and healing, and, yes, ghosts.

thank you to edelweiss plus & the publishers for this arc!
-ˏˋJamieˊˎ-
People need to know where they fit in in the world.

What a strange and beautifully-written story! Very eerie & very fitting for this spooky time of the year.

Writing Style - This is the first book I've read by Nina LaCour, but I can tell that she's got the haunting and lonely tone down. The imagery in Watch Over Me was so vivid, and the storytellingespecially the slow reveal of Mila's pastwas superbly well-done.

Characters - I can't fully put a finger on why, but I felt really distant
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

*shrieks*

I live there
Eva B.
Feb 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I needed this book in my life about yesterday.
J Bellomy
May 11, 2020 marked it as tbr-own
my mom has RETURNED and this time there are GHOSTS

I would like to swim in a sea of copies of this book like a sapphic scrooge mcduck
Lauren
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Mila having aged out of the foster care system accepts a job living at a remote farm in which she is faced with ghosts and her past she has been trying to escape from.

The cover of this book is incredible, it is stunningly beautiful and so is the book itself.

Im not going to lie I was confused for the majority of this book, I went into it pretty blind so it took me a while to figure out what was
Bill Kupersmith
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
No one can evoke the pathos of loneliness and grief like Nina LaCour. Mila at 19 has aged out of foster care and takes a job as an intern on a farm run by a couple who specialize in the foster car of damaged children, which given Mila's own fragile status makes her a classic example of the wounded healer. The farm, on the northern California coast, is isolated and haunted as well, though the ghosts may be less objective remnants of dead people than aspects of Mila's guilty conscience. Mila's ...more
Celia McMahon
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in one night. I made some meatless sausage pizza rolls (yes, those exist), poured me some Italian wine, and went at it. Seeing this amazing cover and knowing the author's past works, I knew going in that I was in for a heart-ripping treat. Which I love. When I read a book, I want to feel like the words are tearing me apart. That I can feel the emotion the writer puts into the story like it's a tangible thing.

Nina LaCour writes like she's living in a messy world filled with
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audio-book-2020
Nobody destroys my feels quite like Ms. LaCour. Another book that shatter me and hit me right in my emotions.
JenacideByBibliophile
Jul 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Dear Madam LaCour - Emotionally ruin me like one of your French girls.

description

If there is anything I love more that ghosts, spirits and a haunting...it's being gut-punched and ravaged by emotional trauma disguised in paranormal YA. Knowing Nina LaCour, this is going to be a delicately brutal spotlight on mental health, self-love and acceptance.

I. Need. This. Book.

It's like the cover artist has sucked out my soul and blown it onto this mysterious book that won't stop calling to me. A girl used to
Kristen
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oh, thanks to the publisher for sending me an early finished copy of this book thanks to BookishFirst. Onto the review...

This book was heavy.

Not in like a if I throw it at your forehead it's gonna leave a dent kinda way, but more of in an emotional way. Shorty was slim thicc. Ew.

Anypoof, I was hoping to love it more. It had more of a... weird... tone to it. You know the like Artsy-Fartsy movies that you're supposed to like if you wanna be smart and cultured and then you walk away thinking "heh,
Meisha
It's weird because not much really happens in this book but I actually loved it. It's a little slow moving so I can see some people getting bored and DNFing this one. But for me, the symbolism in the magical realism aspect kept me wanting to turn the pages and pick the words apart.
The discussions in this book were top tier and I felt was handled very well. I really appreciated the discussion on abuse and the scars it leaves and the effects it can have on a person. I also wanted to note that I
Kelly
No one writes loneliness and grief quite like Nina LaCour. This book is about the ghosts we live with in our minds, the ghosts of our bodies and past selves, and what it takes to piece together each part of us so we may find the true whole of who we are.

Mina's grief is palpable, as is her desire to find peace with the decisions she's made in her life that lead her to where she is. It's a book about loss, but it's equally a book about finding and being found, both by others and yourself.

Moving
Star
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not crying, I just have a branch in my eyes.

Thank you to Text Publishing via NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an e-Advanced copy. This has no way impacted my views.

I'll be back with a full review as soon as possible.
But holy heck, this was beautiful.

(view spoiler)
Bookish First Rea...: Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour 10 26 Aug 29, 2020 04:33PM

• Credence
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Companion
  • Goodbye Days
  • Teen Titans: Beast Boy
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • Eclipse the Skies (Ignite the Stars, #2)
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Vicious Spirits (Gumiho, #2)
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Summer Spirit
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
Nina LaCour grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her first job was at fourteen in an independent bookstore, and she has since worked in two others. She has tutored and taught in various places, from a juvenile hall to a private college. She now teaches English at an independent high school.

Of Hold Still, Nina says:

This book is about loss, and its also about art. The loss part comes from a