Start by marking “Watch Over Me” as Want to Read:
Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  5,298 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews
Nina LaCour delivers another emotional knockout with Watch Over Me, the eagerly anticipated follow-up to the Printz Award-winning We Are Okay.

Mila is used to being alone. Maybe that’s why she said yes to the opportunity: living in this remote place, among the flowers and the fog and the crash of waves far below.

But she hadn’t known about the ghosts.

Newly graduated from hig
Published September 15th 2020 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Watch Over Me, please sign up.
Damian Matheson Yup! Mila shows attraction to at least one of the girls and I think she also shows attraction to one of the guys too. There's also Jackson, who goes b…moreYup! Mila shows attraction to at least one of the girls and I think she also shows attraction to one of the guys too. There's also Jackson, who goes by they/them pronouns.(less)
Calliope
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,298 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews

Start your review of Watch Over Me
Kat
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***ARC provided by the publisher***

a quiet, rural contemporary fantasy about ghosts & loneliness. it was definitely solid...i mean, nina lacour is the queen of writing sad girls and emo times, how could it be anything but? the way this book handles trauma and finding family was well done. i just wish there had been a bit of a bigger punch & had i been more emotionally invested by the end i think this would have hit four stars. out on sept. 15th!
Kai
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
Nobody writes loneliness better than Nina LaCour. I can’t wait to wallow in fiction-induced self-pity. My heart yearns for this book.
daph pink ♡
Nina LaCour writing elevates this book to something more than mundane and packs the real emotional punch that will have you doing what I call the " ugly cry" particularly if you are reading this book in public! ...more
chan ☆
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary, 2021
this was just... fine. but sort of a let down after hearing glowing reviews from people i trust.

at its core, this book is about trauma and healing from it. we know from the beginning that our main character Mila has something in her past that she doesn't like talking about, something that she is scared of. and you get the sense that her past is part of what is haunting her, physically, post grad on this remote ranch.

i think my mistake was expecting this story to hit hard. there was no big cresce
emma
A book by Nina LaCour featuring ghosts, loneliness, found family, trauma recovery, forgiveness, and friendship?

It's more likely to destroy my life than you think.

I picked this up at the very end of a reading-filled day, when I had already finished a couple of books and was ready to wind down.

Then I accidentally read 85% of it in a sitting.

Nina LaCour has this pretty, clean way of writing that sucks you in, and these characters who suffer so intensely that you can't help but suffer too.

This kind
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
"...but it was difficult, when ghosts were everywhere, to figure out what was real and what was imagined." Think twice before opening up this book. Because...you will know the moment you open it up. I haven't been creeped out like that in years!

I took my own sweet time to read this short book. Because it gets disturbing at times. But most part of the book is all about healing and acceptance.

The story is based on a couple adopting kids mostly disturbed, traumatized ones; who has had a tough past.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes sensitive, delicate, poignant hearted people can see things through with their third eye, connecting with restless souls to resonate with their own loneliness, grief, sadness, abandonment.

Have you ever felt like there is a big rock sit on your chest preventing you to breathe properly and have you ever felt like you are the loneliest person in the world as you stand in the moving crowd, barely restraining yourself not to scream, feeling the hurt of your throat because of sobs that neve
Gabby
This writing is so atmospheric, I loved it. I love the Northern California beach sad girl ghost vibes.

Reading vlog where I read it: https://youtu.be/VOeMnQfn7lA
Larry H
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Watch Over Me , Nina LaCour's new novel, is gorgeously lyrical and powerfully moving.

Mila has aged out of the foster care system, so she’s excited when she’s chosen for a teaching job on a farm on the Northern California coast. The couple who own the farm have been fostering children for years and are renowned for their efforts, so this is a real opportunity for Mila.

She is immediately blown away by the beauty and the solitude, and quickly connects with her student and t
sarah
Sep 10, 2020 rated it liked it
"it was difficult, when ghosts were everywhere, to figure out what was real and what was imagined"

Watch Over Me is the perfect autumnal, slightly spooky read for October. If you are looking for an atmospheric and haunting read, but not a fan of thrillers or horror- I would recommend giving this book a try. The best way I can describe it is quiet, slow and weird. If you enjoy your contemporaries like that, with a hint of magical realism, I think you will enjoy this much more than I did.

This was
lily ☁️
— 3 1/2 stars

no one captures grief, loneliness, and heart as beautifully as nina lacour.

Blog | TwitterInstagram | Tumblr | Bloglovin’
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q:
“The ghosts only come out when it’s dark.” (c)
Q:
They were wondrous and I was unafraid. Under the steady moon, the fog moving across the sky like a living thing, I watched for a long time, astonished by how lucky I was to have been chosen. How incredible it was to be there in that strange, incomprehensible place. (c)

A story of ghosts, twisted destinies, pain and growing out of your skin, fears and perceptions. Whoever had the privilege of watching ghosts frolic? Mila. Who has the born teacher
may ➹
Sep 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
ah yes, cannot wait to cry over another Nina LaCour book,
ellie
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-release
this cover is SO beautiful. it's truly fitting for how beautiful nina lacour's writing is.

i will read anything and everything nina lacour writes
Emma
so so beautiful.

I should probably write this review soon /// RTC
Christian
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released-2020
"I was surprised, at first, by her sadness. I had thought she felt only delight - but sadness, of course, was a feeling all of us have always known. Was a feeling I had known, even before everything else."

Screw Nina LaCour and her stupid word magic.

Much like We Are Okay, this novel is leaving me behind speechless. And I think that's fine, because I strongly believe that you should go into it as blind as possible, just like I did, since the synopsis doesn't really give anything away. All I will
solanne
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Nina LaCour never fails to make me cry. I cannot think of anyone more deserving of such a gorgeous cover than her.
h o l l i s
Right off the bat, I have to say : if you're longing to fill a hole left by The Haunting of Bly Manor, I think you should absolutely pick this book up.

This story is less about jump scares and actual ghosts, though, and is more about being haunted by your own past, your own memories, and the grief we all carry around that follows us throughout our lives. It might actually be the perfect kind of fall/spooky read for those who really can't handle big spooks, scares, or horror. This is more melancho
Angela Staudt
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Penguin Teen for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Watch Over Me is a haunting book full of grief and overcoming that trauma and learning to love others and be loved back. Nina LaCour knows how to write a very atmospheric book, that had you so immersed with the characters it was like you were experiencing everything too. I really loved how this book was written with the sad and eerie flashbacks and how real the main character seemed. Mila had raw emotion and was filled with such
Renee Godding
Rating: 5/5 stars

Had we been telling the truth, he would have said, “the place where I’m sending you – it looks beautiful, but it’s haunted”.
“Okay” I would have said.
“It will bring everything back. All that you tried to bury”.

I’m not even sure what to say about why I loved Watch Over Me the way I did. All I know is that Nina LaCour does something to me… Reading her work brings up this storm of feelings in me, all of which belong in the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, making the struggle to c
Antonia
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I'm learning that it's good to think about what scares you. To bring it into the light. Even to hold it in your hands, if you can, and feel how it can't hurt you anymore. To think of it and say, 'I am not afraid.'”

wow, this book REALLY hit me in the feels. i wasn't expecting Watch Over Me to be such an impactful book for me but here i am in December reading highlights of the year!

i feel like this book will either be a hit or miss for most people and the ratings show that i'm not on the popula
Nat
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
“I didn’t know how to talk about my life with someone who understood.”

What a beauty of a book! After We Are Okay captured my heart, I was fully invested in what was next in store for the author. Oh, how worthy the wait was for this.

My long-awaited move back abroad finally happened, and as I wrote the last time I moved, I can make out the promise a new city holds by the books in the library. And based on my reading experience with this book, I’m in for a treat. This is the kind of book to fin
Schizanthus Nerd
“I hope you aren’t afraid of ghosts”
Mila has just aged out of foster care and been offered an internship teaching children. She will live and work with her employers, Terry and Julia, on a farm in the middle of nowhere.
Everything was beautiful and nothing was perfect, and I didn’t know how I could have been chosen to be there.
Mila is searching for a place to call home and desperately wants to keep the past in the past. No one told her about the ghosts, though.

I flew through this book. Gra
niri
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-ghost-story, arc
oh, i loved this, this quiet, haunting little book. nina lacour is very good at creating atmosphere, and at depicting loneliness; i love how she writes her characters, really allowing for the reader to get into her character's mind. a kind, moving book about grief and trauma and healing, and, yes, ghosts.

thank you to edelweiss plus & the publishers for this arc!
Anniek
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-sff
While I've loved Nina Lacour's other books, I still didn't have very high expectations for this. And I want to shake myself now, because what was I thinking?? Nina Lacour's writing has never disappointed me before, and it certainly hasn't this time around.

I don't want to give too much away about this book, but it's such an introspective, quiet, beautiful read. The writing is stunning and the plot is just... wow. Just so you know though, this book is about ghosts, but not in a way that's meant to
-ˏˋJamieˊˎ-
“People need to know where they fit in in the world.”

What a strange and beautifully-written story! Very eerie & very fitting for this spooky time of the year.

Writing Style - This is the first book I've read by Nina LaCour, but I can tell that she's got the haunting and lonely tone down. The imagery in Watch Over Me was so vivid, and the storytelling—especially the slow reveal of Mila's past—was superbly well-done.

Characters - I can't fully put a finger on why, but I felt really
Nev
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, lgbtqiap
I love Nina LaCour’s writing. She crafts hauntingly beautiful stories about grief and trauma. It’s impressive how much depth and growth she’s able to pack into such a short page count. I know this is the type of book that won’t work for everyone, but it really hit the mark for me.
sol
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
my first read of 2021!!!!
here's to hoping this year doesn't suck as hard as last year.
we can only go up from here. :)

3.5 🌟------------------------------------------------
Nina LaCour is the Queen of writing Sad Girls
Overall I had a great time reading this book
it was a lovely story about a girl dealing with her grief and pain and it was painful to read
surprisingly I actually did not cry while reading this which is honestly shocking
(2021 off to a great start where I am emotionally stable?? 👍🏾)

SO
JenacideByBibliophile
Jul 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Dear Madam LaCour - Emotionally ruin me like one of your French girls.

description

If there is anything I love more that ghosts, spirits and a haunting...it's being gut-punched and ravaged by emotional trauma disguised in paranormal YA. Knowing Nina LaCour, this is going to be a delicately brutal spotlight on mental health, self-love and acceptance.

I. Need. This. Book.

It's like the cover artist has sucked out my soul and blown it onto this mysterious book that won't stop calling to me. A girl used to isolat
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

*shrieks*

I live there
Bookish First Rea...: Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour 10 34 Aug 29, 2020 04:33PM

• Credence
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Goodbye Days
  • Teen Titans: Beast Boy
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • Eclipse the Skies (Ignite the Stars, #2)
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Vicious Spirits (Gumiho, #2)
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Summer Spirit
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turners #3.5)
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
Nina LaCour grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her first job was at fourteen in an independent bookstore, and she has since worked in two others. She has tutored and taught in various places, from a juvenile hall to a private college. She now teaches English at an independent high school.

Of Hold Still, Nina says:

“This book is about loss, and it’s also about art. The loss part comes from a clas