Start by marking “Keyflame” as Want to Read:
Keyflame

Keyflame

Something magical lurks in Lilah’s blood, and there are those in Grahamstown willing to kill her for it.

Lilah’s father taught her to be afraid of the world, but now he’s sending her to Grahamstown, a full day’s drive from home, to study.

Then he gets into legal trouble and she’s left stranded without a cent.

Her classmate, Kalin, steps in to help. He’s argumentative,
ebook, First, 403 pages
Expected publication: March 6th 2020 by Astral Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Keyflame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keyflame

Start your review of Keyflame
Melissa Delport
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tsbc-authors
LOVED. First up, it was refreshing to read a stand alone fantasy (I have fallen into the abyss of never ending series lately and it’s had me all sorts of frustrated!) Second, this was a gem!

Tallulah Lucy has written an easy-reading, cracker of a debut. Set in Grahamstown, I especially liked the fact that the SAfricanisms were colorful and bold, but didn’t overpower the story, or detract from the international appeal.

Lilah is a likeable, relatable character, and her relationship with Kalin had
Yolandie Horak
Since I did a round of editing for Keyflame, I don't feel like I can review it in good conscious, but boy, do I want to hit that 5-star button!

Suffice it to say that this is a thrilling read, with wonderfully rounded characters, and a uniquely South African setting that warmed my little heart. If you're into lush urban fantasy, this one is for you.
Lora
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am honored to have been chosen for an ARC of this novel.

It started slow for me. I felt like I wasn't sure the action was going to happen, but then suddenly I realized it didnt matter, I was completely here for the characters. I started to speculate, then tension built and then I just didn't know what to do with myself. I love the two main characters, a wonderfully crafted romance and an incredible concept. I still have so many questions and I am left wanting more. But in a good way. There was
Triston
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Huge Thanks to Tallulah Lucy the author, for sending me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

Keyflame was an atmospheric slow burn fantasy novel, with relatable and fleshed out characters, set in a small student town previously known as Grahamstown (now Makhanda) that creates the perfect vibe and setting for this mysterious and intriguing story.
And you should definitely read it!

Now when I started Keyflame, I was so excited, but admittedly found the beginning a bit slow paced, but
Elizabeth Blythe
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book started a bit slow, but picked up swiftly after Chapter Six. By then, I couldn't put it down. There's a slow build of mystery with pieces falling into place over time and some well-handled plot twists that made my day. Generally, there were several times when I thought the story was headed in one direction, but it turned out different to my expectations in a good way. One of the things I loved best was a startlingly casual introduction to parts of South African culture, which fascinated ...more
Nerine Dorman
Can't review, as much as I'd love to leave five stars, because I edited this. This is a wonderfully nuanced new adult contemporary fantasy novel. Even better, it's set in South Africa.
Cassey
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favourite parts were these random one liners, that I'm so paraphrasing right now - poor books with movie poster covers and a sword, a freaking sword! Loved it.

A great read, that I'm happy to recommend. I'm here for SA authors using local towns in their work, but that's not the only reason to read this. There's some great lines, and so much about the protagonist that most folks could find a link of "Oh, I get her" feelings. There were similar feelings about the other characters as well, not so
MrPinkInk Jacques de Villiers
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, review-copy, ebook
Many thanks to the author for sending me an eARC.

I've always wanted to go to Grahamstown...

In Keyflame, Tallulah takes the reader on a journey in and around Grahamstown, creating haunting images both atmospheric and whimsical, leaving the reader, by the end of the book, as if they've just come back from a little country visit.

Lilah is a nerdy city girl, who, as a child, gets lost in a fantasy world of her own making - now, fresh out of Cape Town, starting University in a small country town, her
Kate McCabe
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Masterful storytelling from a fantastic new talent.

Reminiscent of Sarah J. Maas and Erika Johanssen, Lucy weaves a story which effortlessly blends the known with the magical in this beautifully crafted novel.

Drawing on local cultures, languages and experiences, we are offered a fascinating glimpse into modern South Africa, which offers a refreshing setting for this urban fantasy.

With breath-taking scenery, rich, dynamic characters and relationships, along with intriguing magic, Keyflame offers
Samantha Paterson
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Michaela
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Keyflame like all fantasy, brings you into an ordinary place with hidden secrets of magic and those born not human. The plot was quite exceptional, the reader is kept in suspence right through till the end with multiple plot twists and enough romance to fill your heart. Keyflame is a perfect read for someone looking for extraordinary and not overly heavy fantasy. With characters that you'll fall in love with and others you'd like to strangle, Keyflame is definitely a must-read book.
Christine Bernard
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-list
This isn't usually the genre I go for, but I'm a big Tallulah fan and couldn't wait to tuck in. And what a wonderful tale. This book is rich in location and has strong characters whom you immediately feel a connection with. I can't wait for her to write more books.
Sammy Jackson
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down... I only got the ARC two days ago and I could not put it down. The next book I read has a lot to live up to!!
Monique
Elize Heerden

• The Astonishing Color of After
  • Sulwe
  • RePlay
  • 凸凹シュガーデイズ (Deboko Sugar Days)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Stardust
  • Dragon Age #5
  • Dragon Age #6
  • Dragon Age #3
  • Dragon Age #4
  • I Was Born for This
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • Fae Hunter
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
  • The Weird Friends Fan Club
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)