Start by marking “The Devil Wears Black” as Want to Read:
The Devil Wears Black

The Devil Wears Black

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  22,517 ratings  ·  2,322 reviews
From USA Today bestselling author L. J. Shen comes a second-chance romance about love, loss, finding yourself, and getting lost in the right person.

Maddie Goldbloom stitched up a plan to ensure everything in her life was perfect—from a career in fashion to a chic NYC apartment to a pediatrician boyfriend.

When her ex, Chase Black, storms back into her life with an outrageou
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 363 pages
Published March 9th 2021 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Wears Black, please sign up.
Jenn I’m just a mom who likes to read books. After I had finished this book, I then received my regular email from Goodreads that says, you finished so and…moreI’m just a mom who likes to read books. After I had finished this book, I then received my regular email from Goodreads that says, you finished so and so book. Today I clicked that link and I saw this comment/question/statement below.
“Did you fall asleep on your key board”

Regardless of whether you love a book or hate a book. Why be so catty, so sarcastic, which is really another form of being cruel, in regards to your “supposed” question. I am sure that this author spent many sleepless nights writing this book for her readers. No matter what, you never truly know what someone’s life is really like or what they may be going through inside. So choose your words, choosing to be kind can make or break someone’s day. I guess my comment to this is, what is your intended purpose in asking her this question? Are you a good person? Do you feel good when you write something like that, calling someone out, making a dig on them? Which is basically putting the spot light on them to make fun of !! Come on!!! Life is too short to be this way, to knock people down like this. Who cares about the way she chose to write it. Such a Petty comment and totally was not necessary. You don’t have to love it but it’s your choice everyday to be a good person or NOT!(less)
Madelynn Smith I can see the need for a book here too. Hopefully Leigh gets time to write it in the future.

·  22,517 ratings  ·  2,322 reviews

Start your review of The Devil Wears Black
mel ☽ (semi-hiatus)
dnf 20%

I TRIED ok? i tried.

so the main characters are all like:
Maddie Goldblum (h) ⇢ ooo i'm so ✨🤪quirky🧚🏼‍♀️✨ and relatable
Chase Black (H) ⇢ i wear black clothes therefore i am emo and i use popculture references in my daily vernacular to make myself look cultured and likeable to disguise my spiceless and tasteless personality.

and i'm like:
*pretends to be shocked*
description

because basically:
description

so in conclusion... i physically and mentally and spiritually cannot do this today.

but anyways, read Filthy Gods
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wait is over my dears! This delicious, stimulating, tempting, emotional beauty is finally out! 🥰📚

Enemies to lovers, fake fiancé arrangement, sizzling-steamy- pants dropping, eyes popping chemistry, extremely entertaining, smart banters, favorite cultural references. Yes, I’m sold! We’re talking about L.J.Shen, one of the brilliant romance authors of the century! Of course I was dying to have an ARC. I was not patient enough to wait for release date!

Oh, I know, her last standalone romance novel
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
The minute I started The Devil Wears Black (TDWB) I knew it would be something special. But I truly did not expect that I would be so deeply obsessed and enthralled with Chase Black!!! Jesus Christ! If you loved Vicious and Dirty Headlines then YOU WILL DIE for TDWB!!!  Chase is EVERYTHING!!! His cutting and sarcastic personality coupled with his intense connection with Maddie made this story completely UNPUTDOWNABLE. This is one of my favorite L.J. Shen stories hands down!!!!

Everyone who knows
Phuong ✯ [semi-hiatus]
I tried again, but DNF @ 44%. Now for real. 😂

First attempt: DNF @41%

I can count on LJ Shen to deliver my first DNF in almost a year. I rolled my eyes so many times reading this book that the last time it happened, I might have pulled my eye muscle, because now my eyes hurt. For the sake of my health, I'm going to call it quits, because there is only so much "Martyr Maddie" (37 times btw), cringy metaphors and pop culture references I can handle before something else is pulled.

What do LJ's heroes
Selma
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
**ARC received through Netgalley/Montlake**

The Devil Wears Black is without a doubt the best book LJ Shen has ever written. I'm truly, madly, deeply and all-consumingly in love with this story! I just want to shout it from the rooftops until my throat is sore and my lungs are burning. This epic masterpiece needs to be on everybody's TBR list. TDWB is a complete standalone, second chance at love Rom Com which doesn't have the same level of heavy angst like the usual LJ Shen novel. It's much light
Tears Of Venus
Mar 10, 2021 rated it did not like it

not in this economy, sweetie.
Vanessa (When Vane Reads)
English/spanish version

The Devil Wears Black is epic beyond words! It is so hilarious, sexy, so emotional and angst, LJ Shen is the creator of a new trope: ROM-ANG-COM!. It is so addictive, I spent two days sitting on the couch reading without stopping, obsessed with the characters and what was going to happen, I HAVE NO WORDS FOR HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. It is kindle crack!!!

Chase Black wants Maddie, his ex-girlfriend, to help him by pretending to be his fiancée for a while, and Maddie can't say no,
Sejla
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
**arc received through Netgalley/Montlake**

Here I am, with tears in my eyes, thanking mastermind LJ Shen for writing one of the most funniest, epic and heartbreakingly beautiful stories I ever had the pleasure to read: The Devil Wears Black. I've been a fan of this incredibly talented author for a while now and know firsthand that she's a very versatile wordsmith. She can make you laugh like crazy in one second, only to make you cry your eyes out in the next one. And don't get me started on the
farwa⋆
~1.5 stars~

look honey, you’re totally blind if you see a 1 star rate in my review bc this was a complete 5/5 star for sureeee. L.J Shen NEVER disappoints. Her stories are always sO UNIQUE. I always take a GOOD MESSAGE away from her books. Every book she writes feels UNLIKE ANYTHING IVE EVER READ. How does she make every book of hers different than the last one, god knows. Like the PLOT and CHARACTERS are sO different from each one i’m in AWE. The characters are sO beautiful and special bc t
jessica
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is classic l.j. shen. if you have read any of her other books, you know exactly what that means and what you are getting with this story.

her books are usually hit or miss with me and, luckily, this one is leaning more towards a hit. i still have a difficult time reading about MC love interests who are rude and use bullying as a form of affection. while chase does have jerk tendencies, i wasnt massively put off by them. i think it helps that maddie could stick up for herself.

overall, a cut
Yeasmin Alo
Me to all the "DRAMA" Going on and on and on⬇️
“Cross my heart and hope to die.” He put a hand on his chest mockingly.
“At least our hopes are aligned.”

Two things-

1. I am here to judge the books not THE AUTHOR

2.Secondly life is too short for DRAMA

I would rather enjoy the plenty of dramas I get from books.

Having said that after all the proves receipts we got after the release of The Villian I Don't think I can address  L.J Shen as my favourite author anymore, unless she comes clean

But her
Ness
Mar 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
I read one chapter. Then, I made the decision (probably the best of my life) that I wouldn’t put myself through this torture, especially since this author is nothing but a bully.
Gina
Nov 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
You want to know what I think is funny.

Is that I don’t understand what this book was trying to sell here

So supposedly there together for six months he makes it look like he’s cheating on her but witch he wasn’t?

Okayyyy and for some reason it’s because of that ya know bad boy vibe he’s got and damn he just has to push her away ya know for her own good before he does something that really hurts her.

Ummm? Tf?

Dose that make may sense to anyone

Yeah but I guess he’s feeling her again and this tim
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
2e0pm6g 0b64eff66127bf101d7151561da333f7
MY REVIEW AND OTHERS: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

'THE DEVIL WEARS BLACK' Is a full length, stand-alone romance book by L.J. Shen. Spoken in 'Dual Perspectives.'

Well that's kind of embarrassing with how quickly I inhaled this...One minute there I was in my happy place reading and then the next I'm closing out of the last page.

Throw in a fake relationship and its one that I will come back to again and again, and the fact that L.J. Shen was dippi
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Great characters that you root for!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Romance: 💚💙💜🖤❤️
Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📘📗📕📙📘
World building: 🌏🌏🌍🌏🌍
Character development: ☺️🤓🥸😎🥳

The Hero(s): Chase Black - Billionaire owner of Black & Co. and playboy extraordinaire. He and Madison were an item and broke up six months ago due to his cheating. Now he is back to ask a favor of her and he knows because of her giving nature she will comply with his wishes.

The heroine(s): Madison Goldbloom (a.k.a Martyr Maddie) -
Jeeves Reads Romance
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-arcs
I couldn’t get the taste of bully out of my mouth while reading this. Oh, and the book wasn’t great either.

I was legitimately excited to read this when I received an early copy via NetGalley back in September. I haven’t loved most of the author’s newer books, but she is undeniably talented and has the potential to write something great. Since this is her first with a traditional publisher, I was hoping that this might feel more polished and perhaps reined in a bit.

That was all well before the al
 Nayeli ღ [hiatus]
I'm not even going to try to read this, ✨sorry not sorry✨

There are better authors you can support! Thank you, next :)
Just Another Perfectionist
Mar 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
"Chase had been acting weird the past few days. And by weird I meant nice. He was oh so very nice. Attentive, sweet, caring... not himself. I worried he was going through a mental breakdown or something."
(from the last chapter, speaks volumes of how the hero behaved until then)

*rant mode activated*

"The Devil Wears Black" by L.J. Shen is promoted as "a second-chance romance about love, loss, finding yourself, and getting lost in the right person". Sound like it's going to be so inspiration
♡tanaz♡
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
2 ish stars...

LJ Shen used to be a top author for me in her Sinner of Saints days, but lately, her books have been underwhelming, with this one being a knockoff version of Vicious straight up. I mean an extremely wealthy asshole who has no heart/feelings? Does that sound like Chase Black or Baron Vicious? A female heroine who is this quirky lil wallflower, with crazy fashion sense and is poor, but is extremely naive in a cute way? Maddie Goldbloom or Emilia Leblanc?

I really wanted to like this,
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill by: Nilufer Ozmekik
Yessss!! I absolutely loved this book! Just what I needed🖤 I don't always read romance...but when I do...you can bet it will be L.J. Shen! I loved the Kiss Thief, however I loved this one even more. Enemies to lovers anyone?! Yes please!

The devil wears black and this handsome devil is named Chase Black. He had the girl and then he lost the girl...by cheating on her.. Oh Chase...He just couldn't help himself, or so Maddie thought. She hates him, loathes the very ground he walks on, thinks he is t
Mignonette
Mar 02, 2021 added it
Shelves: bully-squad
"The one who neglects and turns a blind eye to the abuse is worse than the abuser." by Mun Young
Authors, vloggers, and book bloggers who will support this Regina George will be on my blacklist. S. M. Sotto was canceled but, you Regina is worse than her Social butterfly turn a blind eye to your horrendous attitude. Sadly, you can't accept an honest review so you ask your minions to do the dirty work.I wager fake 5-star reviews will be pouring down soon. Too pity!
Mia
Mar 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
My God what a boring book, you get immediately thrown in with their fake dating like I only know your names but I digress.

LJ took some stuff from Villain and Vicious and made this way too long and boring book.

I couldn't care less about both tham, they have no chemistry, overall I thought I would at least I would get some entertaining trash but no this is waste of time for me.
•PerSefone•
* Disclaimer. I haven't read this 🗑️ and I don't plan to. Mrs Regina LJ George won't get 1 more cent from me. I usually don't rate/rant about books I haven't read but Mrs Shen will always get this special treatment *

I genuinely wanted to stay in my #dramafree bubble and out of this UN lovely person business. Unfortunately my feeds are envaded by this "book" reviews/rating *condolences to all my dear GR friends who went through this torture* and I've just seen Mrs Shen gloating on IG because once
Daria
Mar 10, 2021 rated it did not like it
This was like Vicious and Emilia all over again.
Quirky clothes? Check.
Broody alpha male? Check.
Doormat heroine? Check, check, check.

At this point, I'm convinced this author has run out of ideas and is just recycling her old plots. You know that meme that says, "Here, have my homework, but change it up a bit so it's not exactly the same?" that's exactly how every L.J. Shen book is. Guess it doesn't surprise me that she plagiarizes most of her quotes as well, originality left the chat a long tim
Hiba ✰
Mar 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
Sooo let take a moment of for those who actually believed that bully shen will ever speak on the matter of plagiarism, bullying and requiring her arc readers to give her books 5+ stars. All she knows is to manipulate readers ( I was one of those people in the past ) and write about men who do not know how to respect women.

DNF at 20%. The main girl is so freaking annoying, that I had stop myself from rolling my eyes every 10 minutes. And let’s not talk about chase bc he is piece of sh*t. He is t
naz
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
i'm very surprised my eyes haven't permanently rolled into the back of my head by now.

madison goldbloom is a direct descendant of emilia leblanc, persephone penrose AND louisa clark. it is ridiculous. most of the times, "quirky" girls in books make me cringe. having no fashion sense but she is a designer??? you just have to laugh at this point lmao

the first half was bad, i didn't feel the connection between the main characters at all. i was so ready to dnf but i pulled through. i won't deny that
TJ *Book Twins Reviews*
This author! This book! PERFECTION!

This book is what I’ve come to expect from the author — emotionally riveting, witty and intriguing, with a healthy dose of sensual and sexy.

Here’s what I loved:
The trope is one of my favorites. Fake relationships are definitely my jam!
These two characters have a complicated history that made the interactions between them that much more entertaining. I literally laughed out loud several times!
Great execution - the storyline and character development are expert
Ren
Shelves: dnf, 1-star, rom-com
To be honest I didn’t get into the book, at least not more than one chapter in.

I do refuse to read something that probably is also plagiarized.
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Addictive and charming tale of second chances had me up late into the night. I was obsessed, involved and invested from the word GO and couldn't turn the pages fast enough to reach the end, but sad that it ended too.
It's hilariously entertaining love story of Dramatic proportions. There's drama in the relationship that goes from hot to cold to molten lava-esque proportions within a span of year. Sworn enemies to fake friends to fake love and the boundaries blurring as the time goes. Leigh has cr
Wendy'sThoughts
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: L.J. Shen Fans, Romance
3.5 Conflicted Stars-Quick Before The Devil Changes His Mind, Only $1.99 Ending Soon!!!
* * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
So I had been looking forward to this book-full stop. I loved the cover, the teases and it sounded really fun. I clicked as soon as it was released and dug in.

There were some things I truly loved, the letters from our gal's mom that started each chapter. PERFECTION. Hit me in the heart and understood the importance of them because of my own personal history.

I got the overall jest of the

• Tales of Darkness and Sin
  • Layla
  • Inappropriate
  • The Other People
  • The Best Friend Bargain (Inked Love, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Royal Playboy (Playboy Royal, #1)
  • Flames of Chaos (Legacy of the Nine Realms, #1)
  • Jingle Wars
  • Hidden Creek Then (Hidden Creek: Jett & Julia #1)
  • A Lost Paige (Hidden Kingdom Trilogy #2)
  • Fixation
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Bad Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #1)
  • Beloved Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #3)
  • Beautiful Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men #1)
See top shelves…
L.J. Shen is USA Today and Washington Post bestselling author of contemporary romance books. She lives in California with her husband, son and lazy cat.
When she's not writing, she enjoys reading a good book with a glass of wine and catching up on her favorite HBO and Netflix shows.

Yeah, she's a badass like that.

Keep up with L.J. on all platforms:
Newsletter Sign up ➜ http://goo.gl/FwfMzr
Facebook➜

Articles featuring this book

“I was just wondering if . . .” His eyes ran down my cleavage in the dress, and a smirk twisted his lips. Like he’d found his footing. I needed him to do that. Find his footing. Talk. “If?” I tried to keep my voice neutral. “If I could be the lucky bastard to destroy this masterpiece with my teeth while half-drunk and fully in love with you on your wedding night.” 3 likes
“Hiraeth: a homesickness for a home you can’t return to or that never was.” 3 likes