Start by marking “The Devil Wears Black” as Want to Read:
The Devil Wears Black

The Devil Wears Black

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  12,124 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews
From USA Today bestselling author L. J. Shen comes a second-chance romance about love, loss, finding yourself, and getting lost in the right person.

Maddie Goldbloom stitched up a plan to ensure everything in her life was perfect—from a career in fashion to a chic NYC apartment to a pediatrician boyfriend.

When her ex, Chase Black, storms back into her life with an outrageou
Kindle Edition, 1st edition
Published March 9th 2021 by Montlake

·  12,124 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews

Start your review of The Devil Wears Black
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wait is over my dears! This delicious, stimulating, tempting, emotional beauty is finally out! 🥰📚

Enemies to lovers, fake fiancé arrangement, sizzling-steamy- pants dropping, eyes popping chemistry, extremely entertaining, smart banters, favorite cultural references. Yes, I’m sold! We’re talking about L.J.Shen, one of the brilliant romance authors of the century! Of course I was dying to have an ARC. I was not patient enough to wait for release date!

Oh, I know, her last standalone romance novel
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
The minute I started The Devil Wears Black (TDWB) I knew it would be something special. But I truly did not expect that I would be so deeply obsessed and enthralled with Chase Black!!! Jesus Christ! If you loved Vicious and Dirty Headlines then YOU WILL DIE for TDWB!!!  Chase is EVERYTHING!!! His cutting and sarcastic personality coupled with his intense connection with Maddie made this story completely UNPUTDOWNABLE. This is one of my favorite L.J. Shen stories hands down!!!!

Everyone who knows
Selma
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
**ARC received through Netgalley/Montlake**

The Devil Wears Black is without a doubt the best book LJ Shen has ever written. I'm truly, madly, deeply and all-consumingly in love with this story! I just want to shout it from the rooftops until my throat is sore and my lungs are burning. This epic masterpiece needs to be on everybody's TBR list. TDWB is a complete standalone, second chance at love Rom Com which doesn't have the same level of heavy angst like the usual LJ Shen novel. It's much light
Vanessa (When Vane Reads)
English/spanish version

The Devil Wears Black is epic beyond words! It is so hilarious, sexy, so emotional and angst, LJ Shen is the creator of a new trope: ROM-ANG-COM!. It is so addictive, I spent two days sitting on the couch reading without stopping, obsessed with the characters and what was going to happen, I HAVE NO WORDS FOR HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. It is kindle crack!!!

Chase Black wants Maddie, his ex-girlfriend, to help him by pretending to be his fiancée for a while, and Maddie can't say no,
Sejla
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
**arc received through Netgalley/Montlake**

Here I am, with tears in my eyes, thanking mastermind LJ Shen for writing one of the most funniest, epic and heartbreakingly beautiful stories I ever had the pleasure to read: The Devil Wears Black. I've been a fan of this incredibly talented author for a while now and know firsthand that she's a very versatile wordsmith. She can make you laugh like crazy in one second, only to make you cry your eyes out in the next one. And don't get me started on the
Phuong ✯
I tried again, but DNF @ 44%. Now for real. 😂

First attempt: DNF @41%

I can count on LJ Shen to deliver my first DNF in almost a year. I rolled my eyes so many times reading this book that the last time it happened, I might have pulled my eye muscle, because now my eyes hurt. For the sake of my health, I'm going to call it quits, because there is only so much "Martyr Maddie" (37 times btw), cringy metaphors and pop culture references I can handle before something else is pulled.

What do LJ's heroes
jessica
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is classic l.j. shen. if you have read any of her other books, you know exactly what that means and what you are getting with this story.

her books are usually hit or miss with me and, luckily, this one is leaning more towards a hit. i still have a difficult time reading about MC love interests who are rude and use bullying as a form of affection. while chase does have jerk tendencies, i wasnt massively put off by them. i think it helps that maddie could stick up for herself.

overall, a cut
Yeasmin Alo
Me to all the "DRAMA" Going on and on and on⬇️
“Cross my heart and hope to die.” He put a hand on his chest mockingly.
“At least our hopes are aligned.”

Two things-

1. I am here to judge the books not THE AUTHOR

2.Secondly life is too short for DRAMA

I would rather enjoy the plenty of dramas I get from books.

Having said that after all the proves receipts we got after the release of The Villian I Don't think I can address  L.J Shen as my favourite author anymore, unless she comes clean

But her
mel ☽
dnf 20%

I TRIED ok? i tried.

so the main characters are all like:
Maddie Goldblum (h) ⇢ ooo i'm so ✨🤪quirky🧚🏼‍♀️✨ and relatable
Chase Black (H) ⇢ i wear black clothes therefore i am emo and i use popculture references in my daily vernacular to make myself look cultured and likeable to disguise my spiceless and tasteless personality.

and i'm like:
*pretends to be shocked*
description

because basically:
description

so in conclusion... i physically and mentally and spiritually cannot do this today.

but anyways, read Filthy Gods
Flor ❁
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
1.5 ✨

I finished this hours ago and I don't know how to write the review of this book.
I'm still thinking about my rating, but nothing will be worse than “In The Unlikely Event”

• The premise of this book was good, but very poorly executed.

• Maddie was like a reference to Jane's character from 27 dresses.

• I didn't understand Ethan's role. He was boring af.

• The only thing I really liked were the letters.

If you are interested in know if there is cheating here: no, there isn't. At least for me, it
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Great characters that you root for!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Romance: 💚💙💜🖤❤️
Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📘📗📕📙📘
World building: 🌏🌏🌍🌏🌍
Character development: ☺️🤓🥸😎🥳

The Hero(s): Chase Black - Billionaire owner of Black & Co. and playboy extraordinaire. He and Madison were an item and broke up six months ago due to his cheating. Now he is back to ask a favor of her and he knows because of her giving nature she will comply with his wishes.

The heroine(s): Madison Goldbloom (a.k.a Martyr Maddie) -
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill by: Nilufer Ozmekik
Yessss!! I absolutely loved this book! Just what I needed🖤 I don't always read romance...but when I do...you can bet it will be L.J. Shen! I loved the Kiss Thief, however I loved this one even more. Enemies to lovers anyone?! Yes please!

The devil wears black and this handsome devil is named Chase Black. He had the girl and then he lost the girl...by cheating on her.. Oh Chase...He just couldn't help himself, or so Maddie thought. She hates him, loathes the very ground he walks on, thinks he is t
Tears Of Venus
Mar 10, 2021 rated it did not like it

not in this economy, sweetie.
farwa⋆
~1.5 stars~

look honey, you’re totally blind if you see a 1 star rate in my review bc this was a complete 5/5 star for sureeee. L.J Shen NEVER disappoints. Her stories are always sO UNIQUE. I always take a GOOD MESSAGE away from her books. Every book she writes feels UNLIKE ANYTHING IVE EVER READ. How does she make every book of hers different than the last one, god knows. Like the PLOT and CHARACTERS are sO different from each one i’m in AWE. The characters are sO beautiful and special bc t
♡tanaz♡
2 ish stars...

LJ Shen used to be a top author for me in her Sinner of Saints days, but lately, her books have been underwhelming, with this one being a knockoff version of Vicious straight up. I mean an extremely wealthy asshole who has no heart/feelings? Does that sound like Chase Black or Baron Vicious? A female heroine who is this quirky lil wallflower, with crazy fashion sense and is poor, but is extremely naive in a cute way? Maddie Goldbloom or Emilia Leblanc?

I really wanted to like this,
Emma (Emlovesreading)
Mar 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
I actually preordered this book awhile ago. However I cancelled my order back in December after it came to light that LJ and her team are bullies. There was a lot of drama and comments made through SM accusing LJ of bullying and stealing quotes and then using them as her own.

There have been several claims made about Shen bullying several authors who were brave enough to come forward and speak out. And after the authors came forward so did many bloggers, who spoke out about bullying. Many blogger
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
2e0pm6g 0b64eff66127bf101d7151561da333f7
MY REVIEW AND OTHERS: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

'THE DEVIL WEARS BLACK' Is a full length, stand-alone romance book by L.J. Shen. Spoken in 'Dual Perspectives.'

Well that's kind of embarrassing with how quickly I inhaled this...One minute there I was in my happy place reading and then the next I'm closing out of the last page.

Throw in a fake relationship and its one that I will come back to again and again, and the fact that L.J. Shen was dippi
Just Another Perfectionist
Mar 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
"Chase had been acting weird the past few days. And by weird I meant nice. He was oh so very nice. Attentive, sweet, caring... not himself. I worried he was going through a mental breakdown or something."
(from the last chapter, speaks volumes of how the hero behaved until then)

*rant mode activated*

"The Devil Wears Black" by L.J. Shen is promoted as "a second-chance romance about love, loss, finding yourself, and getting lost in the right person". Sound like it's going to be so inspiration
Fallen Star Book Reviews
Jan 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
Normally I don’t one star anything ever but I can’t support people who bully other authors for fun. I have cancelled my preorder and won’t purchase anything further from the author.
Mignonette
Mar 02, 2021 added it
Shelves: bully-squad
"The one who neglects and turns a blind eye to the abuse is worse than the abuser." by Mun Young
Authors, vloggers, and book bloggers who will support this Regina George will be on my blacklist. S. M. Sotto was canceled but, you Regina is worse than her Social butterfly turn a blind eye to your horrendous attitude. Sadly, you can't accept an honest review so you ask your minions to do the dirty work.I wager fake 5-star reviews will be pouring down soon. Too pity!
Krazyʕ•ᴥ•ʔKoala
Mar 06, 2021 marked it as do-not-read-it
The reasons why I am not reading this book (I will need this so that I don't get tempted to read it):

a) This book is a rom-com and I hate rom-coms.
b) This book has a second opportunity trope and I hate that too.
c) L.J Shen's plots have become predictable and honestly pretty average. I can already tell that the hero (view spoiler)
Elena
Jan 30, 2021 rated it did not like it
Let’s see how many 5star fake reviews and likes she’s gonna buy this time 🤣
Check out @sassysparrowx3 and @romancelandia on Instagram to see what a freaking disgusting person she is. UNBELIEVABLE.
Teisha
Feb 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
Why is this Trash ass author still publishing books like lmao does she really have time to act like a 15 year old by bullying the whole book community and also write books?? I mean at the end of the day they’re garbage so no wonder they turn out like they do. Checkout Romancelandia on insta to see what a disgusting person this author is. Last person you’d ever want to spend your money on. Also don’t listen to the five star reviews theyre all paid to give her five stars don’t waste your time read ...more
Wendy'sThoughts
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: L.J. Shen Fans, Romance
3 Conflicted Stars
* * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
So I had been looking forward to this book-full stop. I loved the cover, the teases and it sounded really fun. I clicked as soon as it was released and dug in.

There were some things I truly loved, the letters from our gal's mom that started each chapter. PERFECTION. Hit me in the heart and understood the importance of them because of my own personal history.

I got the overall jest of the story...set out to suspend my mind for the fake engagement, etc.
The
TJ *Book Twins Reviews*
This author! This book! PERFECTION!

This book is what I’ve come to expect from the author — emotionally riveting, witty and intriguing, with a healthy dose of sensual and sexy.

Here’s what I loved:
The trope is one of my favorites. Fake relationships are definitely my jam!
These two characters have a complicated history that made the interactions between them that much more entertaining. I literally laughed out loud several times!
Great execution - the storyline and character development are expert
Anna Hill
Dec 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
After struggling to try to get through The Villian (DNF, BTW) and reading all of the hate that LJ and especially TJ and the "street team" seem to think is ok, I cancelled the order for this book. Super -sorry I purchased previous books. I do NOT support bullying and lying. ...more
cait
Shelves: dnf
dnf @ 12%

this book is a mess and also so boring. their banter feels like banter of 8-yr old children on a playground when their nannies aren't looking.

chase, the hero, is trying so hard to be a dick that seems nonchalant but instead he is boring. i absolutely hate maddie's nickname, i rarely turn down favors to but i know for a fact that if any of my friends put "martyr" before my name, i'd skin them alive and throw them into the ocean. her quirkiness is so forced it hurts to read. i liked her
Ere Reviews
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read one of L.J. Shen's book I am like 'this is my favorite', but each book she gets better and better. L.J. Shen is a mastermind. Every word she writes is so beautifully written you cannot help but fall in love with her writing. The characters are so well written you feel so connected to them. You can feel the love. This book was no different. She has created such an epic story that is a perfect mix of love, banter & sass. This story will stay with you long after you read it. You w ...more
Jade Violet
Jul 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021
105003409-10163890577655215-203005340079386417-o

"First thing I’d noticed about Madison Goldbloom when I’d hit on her in Croquis’s elevator? Her beautiful hazel eyes.
Okay.
Fine.
It was her tits.
Sue me."
___________________________________

"I have a boyfriend."
"Yeah." He checked his watch. "Give it a couple hours, and you won't."

CHASE BLACK IS A $$#%#%$!!#

Coming - March 17th, 2021
Malene
It’s been quite awhile since I’ve read a L.J. Shen book. So when I read the premise for The Devil Wears Black I knew I had to read it. To top it off it had some of my favorite tropes. Second chance, enemies to lovers and fake fiancé so I was beyond giddy as I started reading and as the story unfolded.
Madison was such a wonderful character. I just adored her and she grew so much throughout the story. Finally taking a stand for herself and her beliefs.
Chase was the man who didn’t do relationship

• To Have and to Hate
  • Tales of Darkness and Sin
  • Layla
  • Inappropriate
  • The Other People
  • The Best Friend Bargain (Inked Love, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Royal Playboy (Playboy Royal, #1)
  • Flames of Chaos (Legacy of the Nine Realms, #1)
  • Jingle Wars
  • Hidden Creek Then (Hidden Creek: Jett & Julia #1)
  • A Lost Paige (Hidden Kingdom Trilogy #2)
  • Fixation
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Bad Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #1)
  • Beloved Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #3)
  • Beautiful Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Invitation
L.J. Shen is USA Today and Washington Post bestselling author of contemporary romance books. She lives in California with her husband, son and lazy cat.
When she's not writing, she enjoys reading a good book with a glass of wine and catching up on her favorite HBO and Netflix shows.

Yeah, she's a badass like that.

Keep up with L.J. on all platforms:
Newsletter Sign up ➜ http://goo.gl/FwfMzr
Facebook➜

Articles featuring this book

“Hiraeth: a homesickness for a home you can’t return to or that never was.” 2 likes
“I looked at Madison like she was a piñata full of surprises and orgasms I wanted to burst. With my dick-shaped bat.” 1 likes