Start by marking “Much Ado in the Moonlight (MacLeod, #9; de Piaget/MacLeod, #12)” as Want to Read:
Much Ado in the Moonlight (MacLeod, #9; de Piaget/MacLeod, #12)

Much Ado in the Moonlight

(MacLeod #5)

Lynn Kurland pens a wonderfully romantic tale about an eight-hundred-year-old ghost and the modern woman who turns his plans for a peaceful afterlife upside down…

When Victoria McKinnon’s brother offers to finance her production of Hamlet, she leaps at the chance. She can’t imagine anything better than staging Shakespeare’s masterpiece in an honest-to-goodness English castl
Mass Market Paperback, 449 pages
Published May 1st 2006 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado in the Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado in the Moonlight

The Window Seat
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Now, as sweet as My Heart Stood Still is, we know the next one won't be the same just based on who the characters are. We first met the hero and heroine in Thomas's book and their spiky natures promise there won't be a book of complete devotion from these two.

Victoria McKinnon is a hard edged theater producer. She is suffering from some serious middle child syndrome. The second in the McKinnon family, she has been invited to her older brother and her younger sister's weddings, but darned if she
Mary23nm
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Not one of her better books in the series. It takes waaayy too long to get interesting. There are still issues for me with the ghosts, how they can do so many things and become so solid that people think they are normal. The last fourth of the book was better.
Janet Robel
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Good paranormal. I liked this take on a ghost hero and a castle. Victoria is doing a play in Connor's castle. She's about to discover ghosts are real. This is a really cute romance.
Tracey
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not a soul
I was tricked into trying this by the premise of a haunted production of Hamlet. I didn't have tremendously high expectations: frothy romance with a little Shakespeare thrown in, I figured. I'm a sucker for books set around Shakespeare productions. A nice change. But ... This book read like a Three Stooges film. There were moronic ghosts. There was idiotic behavior, there were prat falls, there was screaming and running and fainting. There were random acts of violence played for laughs. There wa ...more
Nicole
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Chick Lit and Romance novels are deeply, darkly, secretly so much fun to read. Except when they're painfully, and embarrassingly cheesy - which they very often - are. Kurland however has the rare ability to take what could be cringe-worthy subject matter and manage to make it somehow loveable, laughable, and fun to read.

Her novels are decidedly romantic but they are also upbeat, comedic, and full of fun facts about the historical and geographical periods they're set in. You won't be impressing a
Judy
4.5 stars. Lynn Kurland is one of my favorite authors- her books are "comfort" reads for me. Connor was a wonderful hero (even as a ghost) and Victoria was a smart, strong heroine. Various MacLeods and MacKinnons from previous books appear (ghosts and mortals) and it was nice to "catch up" with the rest of the family. A very enjoyable, sweet romance.
Brooke
I liked some parts, yawned at others, and it felt like it went on and on... I loved Connor, Victoria was ok... I feel like I missed a lot by not reading Thomas's story but I couldn't find it... Oh well.
Chelsy
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Started out slow but really turned out great. Who doesn't love a hot grumpy scottsman from the past! :)
Jenny
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this book at a secondhand store, not realizing it was the 5th in a series-I'm new to romances, and the blurb sounded interesting. Though I might have understood a few minor parts better with the other 4 books under my belt, I still found this book pretty good as a stand-alone.
Sure, it had a few almost cheesy bits, but it's a fun romance that isn't smutty. The characters were good, and the storyline was interesting enough to keep me turning pages. That's all I can really ask for.
It's good e
Melissa
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: clean romance
Well as always I love one of her books. I always enjoy reading them and going to England or Scotland. This is the story of Victoria McKinnon and Connor. This one had a ton of characters from other novels if this is the first book of Kurlands you have read put it down and go to her web sight and start with the Macleods and then go on to the De Piaget's. But this book was not one of my favorites. It was clean and sweet and had all the good stuff in a Kurland book but the story was already done and ...more
TJ
It's nice to visit old friends sometimes. It has been awhile since I ventured into the magical worlds of Kurland and I found I still thoroughly enjoy it! She is still way too wordy, somewhat silly but always wonderful fun.

The story line in "Much Ado..." is very much the same as is has been throughout the entire Piaget/MacCloud series with the hero (in this instance Conner MacDougal) and heroine (Victoria MacKinnon) jumping through time on their quest for true love. In previous books, Conner wa
Maulin Amin
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Funny at some places, believable characters. No thrills, no sex (another best point of the book - I mean who wants a character like Miss Steele bathing in the drool of her own making?).

It was the character development that I loved the most. This is the first book from Kurland's time travel series I've read, and it did not confuse me even though I read it out of order. This book just makes me curious; curious enough to read the entire series.

I did figure out the climax after 100 pages, but the '
Anita
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Victoria Mckinnon's brother offers the use of his castle in England as the backdrop for her theatre troups production of Hamlet. However, like in the play, there are also ghosts at this castle as well. One's that don't want anyone with the last name of Mckinnon any where near their castle.

Ahhhh. Time travel, ghostly romance, Shakespeare - it doesn't get much better than this. My family couldn't pull my nose out of it all weekend. They kept saying, "It must be a really good book." It was! Clean t
Erin
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Ghosts and time travel I learned to come to grips with because I liked the characters. But falling in love with a ghost and then going back in time to save his/her life only to have them not remember you - for at least 3 chapters - was a bit much. I admit I did some skipping. And I'll openly admit I'm not a fan of Shakespeare and it seems like it is in every YA (and yes, I know this is not YA) book lately that I'm a bit done. Not my favorite from this author, but I have enjoyed the De Piaget and ...more
Lisarenee
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Once again I went reading a book at the far end of a series. Liked it, but not as much as if I'd started at the beginning of the series. Will I ever learn? Gah! :) About a trio of match making ghosts who periodically match their descendants with their soul mates. Loved the characters, but the match making between a person with a ghost was a bit much. May need to read prior books to appreciate the story. I have the first book of the series waiting for me.
Anna-Lisa
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna-Lisa by: lovelylilain@yahoo.de
This was an absolutly entertaining and refreshing read!

I just wanted something light to read for inbetween but I was surprised with a funny paranormal romance novel with great characters.

I totally enjoyed the funny ghosts, the great Scottish highlanders and yeah the cute love story which didn't go on as fast as usual in such books. :)

I'll definitly will read more of Lynn Kurlands books!!
July
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Victoria McKinnon's brother offers to the use of his castle for her production of Hamlet. She doesn't want to let that chance go by her since he will pay for it to. But she does wonder WHY?
Conner MacDougal has no intention of relinquishing his authority over Thorpewold castle to anyone, let alone a McKinnon. Victoria cannot believe when she starts seeing ghosts not just one but many.
This story is good, but slow in spots.
Connie D
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is much more complex than your typical romance novel; it's not just two irritating people meeting each other, getting over their differences and falling in love. Somehow the author threw in (friendly) ghosts, time travel and Shakespeare too, and in general they all worked (assuming you can suspend disbelief). There was a bit too much recounting of how people felt, but otherwise, it was a fun romp.
S.E. Anderson
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love the combination of Lynn Kurland knights/ghosts and Shakespeare. Connor can haunt my castle any time he wants. The Boars Head trio is a classic example of Kurland's unforgettable, lovable characters. Three matchmaking, medieval knights who just happen to be ghosts. Too freaking cute.
Heather
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This one was Ok. It is my second Lynn Kurland book and it just seams to pale in comparison to Stardust of Yesterday. I had a hard time with the main characters in the beginning of the book because they were so self-involved, whiny, and annoying. The second half got better as the storyline picked up. It was a sweet story and clearly these two characters are well suited, but not a favorite read.
Machelle
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love stories about gorgeous medevial Highlanders. Victoria is a strong headed woman who doesn't take crap from anyone. Especially an eight hundred year old ghost haunting the castle her production of Hamlet will be in. Connor MacDougal is mesmerized by her and as Victoria calls him a Marshmellow. He is tough and can hold his own but when it comes to Victoria he is soft. It was fun to read.
Katie W
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really love Lynn Kurland's books!! I love how the characters all make appearances in books that aren't mainly about them.

Victoria is a director and her brother sends her to perform a Shakespeare play with her troop at his castle in the UK. There she encounters a ghost--a very handsome one named Connor. I loved his reaction to her when he first saw her.
Roberta
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
A great time travel romance. Kurland creates characters who are fun and likeable. Connor MacDougal, although grouchy and misanthropic, gradually thaws to the idea that perhaps there might be good in his ancient enemy the McKinnons. His journey from 800-year-old ghost to modern lover is both touching and hilarious by turns.
Brittany
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Kristen
A book I picked up for a dime to read in between my library books. For a romance it was pretty well done. Don't know how I believed a woman can fall in love with a ghost but I did. A 17th century Highland warrior haunts and old English castle where Julia wants to stage her Shakespeare play. Grumpy meets strong willed woman and their world's are turned upside down. I liked it for an easy read.
Impy
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining, if overly long and overly convulated. I liked the characters well enough, but the book was just very silly without being very funny. I think, had the book been condensed to about 200 pages or so, focusing on one plot line and the romance rather than the meaningless faux drama going on, it would've been much better.
Patricia
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
this was a bit difficult to get into. after learning a bit about the two characters in the previous book, i wasn't a big fan of either. so, for me, it took until they finally started developing feelings for each other for me to get into the book and start enjoying the characters. at that point, i did begin to like the story and enjoyed the rest very much.
Ashley
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Meh...this wasn't the best LK book I've ever read. I was looking toward to a lot of witty banter with these two main characters and was just disappointed. Plus, I'm just not a fan of the whole "fall in love with a ghost" story. And it kinda seemed that there was just too much packed into this book. A few too many extra plots that kept coming up. It's not one I would read again.
April
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I first read this book in May 2006 while visiting England. It has a fun visit to Shakespeare's time and ghosts and theater and love in the air. Victoria and Connor are a good match. The boar's head trio bring fun to the story.
I re-read it this past December 2015 and finished in January on a rainy day when such stories enhance the day.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Christmas Cat (Includes: de Piaget, #4.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2.5)
  • To Weave a Web of Magic (Samaria Chronological Order #3.5)
  • Highland Knight
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • Only With a Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • Frankly, My Dear (Creole Historical, #1)
  • Passions of the Ghost (Immortal Warriors, #3)
  • Aching for Always
  • Circles in Time
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
Lynn began her writing career at the tender age of five with a series of illustrated novellas entitled Clinton’s Troubles in which the compelling hero found himself in all sorts of . . . well, trouble. She was living in Hawaii at the time and the scope for her imagination (poisoned fish, tropical cliffs, large spiders) was great and poor Clinton bore the brunt of it. After returning to the mainlan ...more

MacLeod (10 books)
  • A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2)
  • The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2; de Piaget/MacLeod, #4)
  • My Heart Stood Still (MacLeod, #3; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8)
  • A Garden in the Rain (MacLeod, #4; de Piaget/MacLeod, #10)
  • When I Fall in Love (de Piaget, #4; MacLeod, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #13)
  • With Every Breath (MacLeod, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #14)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #8; De Piaget #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #15)
  • Roses in Moonlight (MacLeod, #9; de Piaget/MacLeod, #19)
  • Ever My Love (MacLeod #10; de Piaget/MacLeod #22)
“He stopped and looked at her. "Your eyes are leaking."
"It's the flowers. They make me sneeze."
"Then let us be away from the garden. Open the door, love, if you will."
She obeyed, then froze halfway over the threshold. "What did you call me?"
"The first of countless endearments if you'll but stir yourself to hold our current course.”
14 likes