Start by marking “A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2)

A Dance Through Time

(MacLeod #1)

Scotland, 1311. James MacLeod was the most respected---and feared---laird in all of Scotland. He loved his men like brothers and his land with a passion. And he allowed no women to cross the threshold of his keep...

New York City, 1996. With an indifferent fiancé and a stalled writing career, Elizabeth Smith found passion and adventure only in the unpublished romance novels
Mass Market Paperback, Jove Time Passages, #13, 356 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by Berkley Publishing (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Dance Through Time, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Tracy
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is beyond awful. I'm literally offended that it has such a high rating. The female "protagonist" is the most whiny, dependent lead character I've ever encountered -- more of a Mary Sue than Bella Swan. I truly believe that the author used a comprehensive list of every single female stereotype as an outline for the main character. She's "motherly," loves to cook, loves to clean, desperately needs a big, strong man to take care of her, is described as "fiery" and yet never displays any f ...more
Miss Melanie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books. Lynn Kurland writes a great story and doesn't have to rely on graphic sex to develop a good love story. Kurland is my favorite romance author by far. I keep all her books (even the short stories which, unfortunately, are generally not her best.) She is best at novels.
BJ Rose
This was not really a 4* read for me, but it was above average for the most part, so 3* wasn't enough. I liked the story, I loved the Highlander clan members (especially Angus & Ian & Malcolm), and Jaime's son Jesse was almost too good to be true. And I really liked the gradual change in Jaime from his first 'she's-a-witch, I'll-throw-her-in-the-pit' response when he first saw her in his castle.

So what didn't I like? Elizabeth was a 20th century author who often ate take-out and seldom
Marian
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another time travel that I read back in 1996. Jamie MacLeod is Laird over his clan in 1311 and Elizabeth Smith is a writer of romances in 1996.

Kurland has a light touch with her time travels and I love how many members of the same family end up in the future together.
Leona
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This sets the stage for the MacLeod series which is I think her best series. The characters are great...I just love that cousin Ian. I think the book is somewhat tiresome in the beginning with all of Jamie's grumbles and antics, but it gets better once the author gets past all that.
I would recommend reading the series, especially if you like time travel romances. This author has a light unique touch when it comes to the bedroom scenes, without missing a beat on the passion between characters. I
Lori McD
2.5-3 stars

I really, really wanted to love this book... the description is enchanting, and being an "Outlander" fan, I was caught by a "Jamie" being the Highland lord, and the "lady" being from 1996. But this book just... didn't... do it... for me... at all. *sigh*

My apologies to major fans of this book, because I can see the appeal. But perhaps I'm a decade or two too late, because the story seemed disjointed. And the anachronisms between 1996 and 14th century Scotland, instead of being charmin
Deborah Gafford
I am a big fan of historical romance, especially when set in Scotland in the medieval time period. A Dance Through Time by Lynn Kurland more than met my expectations for a great read! Lynn Kurland is a master at creating characters you come to love with a plot that will pull at your heart strings and give you a chuckle now and then. Many of her books involve time travel and ghosts. This book is the beginning of many romances involving the McLeod family. It is a standalone book, but if you read a ...more
puppitypup
Time Travel Romance Enjoyable!

This is one of those slightly silly romance novels that just puts a big smile on your face. I burst out laughing several times while reading it.

Elizabeth is an extremely likeable heroine, upbeat, kind and caring, always willing to talk things out.

My only complaint about this book is the hero, Jamie, who flips back and forth between treating Elizabeth terribly vs. treating her with respect. All this both before and after he realizes he really likes her. I had a hard
Hollywood
Jun 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
I'm usually a very positive reviewer, whether it's books, movies, TV shows, etc. This book, however, has me hesitant to give it a good rating. The characters were not as likable as others. The writer would have the people out of character several times just for the sake of a funny bit or Elizabeth (the heroine) especially would be out of character quite a bit for about the first half of the book for the sake of drama. Things didn't always flow and it made me feel as if I was reading a first draf ...more
Christie«SHBBblogger»
Wow, I'm pretty stunned that this book has so many high ratings. I was in the mood for a time travel romance and picked this one at random. BAD decision on my part. There was so much wrong with this one I don't even know where to begin. My disgust for the "hero" Jamie will never go away after how barbaric he behaved towards Elizabeth. I get that this is the 1300s, but this is not a man that I would ever care to read about.

When Elizabeth is found in the woods, she's brought to him by one of his
Tanya
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this book. It is one of my favorites. It isn't squeaky clean but compared to other authors it isn't too terribly descriptive. Her books get cleaner as they go.

When I read a romance I expect it to be unbelievable and fluff and that is what you get. I never expect any romance to be that way so for other reviewers to be expecting more than that seems a bit silly to me.

I love how she eventually brings Jamie into other stories and develops his character. This is what make Lynn Kurland fun fo
Penelope West
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Time travel romance lovers
This is another of Lynn's fantastic time travels. James MacLeod heads a family that enjoys wild adventures through the centuries. He is fiercely protective of his own, no matter the connection ... or the time. He is a lovable character that keeps popping up throughout the saga of this family. Beautifully crafted story that you won't want to put down. A definite keeper. In fact, my daughter and I both liked it so much we each have a copy of it.
Sha Mslvoe
The best time-travel romance ever writen. My husband always thought I'm a loon when reading time-travel romance. LOL

They are such wonderful lovers. I cried reading James 1st sight of his long lost brother Patrick. This is really a great book and well worth the reading.

Lynn Kurland is in a class of her own.

Anna
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
OK. So I know I make fun of romances all the time, but I really enjoyed Kurland’s fantasy series and I thought I’d read some of her other work. Let me begin by saying that, Yes, I did indeed think that this was very cheeezy! But as it is my rule, I always make it to the 100th page before throwing in the towel. By the time I made it to the 100th page, I felt somewhat invested in the characters and found myself wanting to know the conclusion. It wasn’t terrible by any means, and Lynn Kurland is a ...more
Carolina
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Lo que una estrella significa según goodreads (y según yo): did not like it = No me ha gustado. Pues eso, tal cual.
Yossra kerkeb
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Laughably bad. Literally, I laughed at how horrible it was.

Didn't finish. Do not recommend to anyone.
Melinda
This book should have been titled “The Taming of the Caveman” because the protagonist didn't act much better than a neanderthal for most of the book.

Elizabeth Smith dreamed of a Scottish man. Then she was transported back in time to medieval Scotland where she was taken to the MacLeod keep. The laird, Jamie MacLeod thought she was a witch so he immediately threw her into a pit where all kinds of slithering things crawled all over her. He left her there screaming for hours.

When Jamie decided aga
A.M.G.
**NOTE: No spoilers!**

Actual Rating : 1.3/5

Before I commence my official review of the novel, I feel that there are two things that the readers should know, and that I should indicate:

1. The only reason that I decided to read this novel is because it has been on my "To-Read" list for a long time. That is because
2. The concept of the story is good, really. Just based on the summary provided by Goodreads alone, you'd think it would be a decent novel, charming even.

Both reasons, I am apt to mention
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This was a very appealing book. The hero and heroine are really lovely. The H is manly, with mush inside once he falls for the heroine - most unrealistic, but makes for a great lead in a light-hearted romance - and the h is lovely and feisty, but not stupid. They are very appealing together.

I must admit the way the hero treated the heroine in the beginning gave me the creeps, I'll have a few crawly nightmares over that.

I'm a real fan of time travel - in my heart I so wish it were possible - an
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Readable but don't recommend it. This is a formulaic romance novel.

It has the required characters and plot movement but it was lacking somehow. I compare this story to a soft drink that lost its fizz. There was nothing sparkling, surprising or delighting. A few times I wished it would be over. The hero is gruff and loses his temper a lot. He meets her and then over a short time, his heart starts melting for her. I would prefer more interesting interaction between them to justify his heart meltin
July
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-library
I have already been reading the De Piaget stories when I picked up this book. I loved this MacLeod Laird love story. There was lots of humor in this book. James was fearse warrior in the fourteenth century where Elizabeth finds herself from 1996. James has not had a women in his keep since his beloved mother passed on when he was a small boy. His castle is filthy and stinks and Elizabeth will whip it clean in no time. The story will take a huge turn towards the last few chapters. A very good sto ...more
Heidi
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed at the amount of suggestive material and language in this book. Too bad, because it was a cute idea....(the Heroine(who is an author)..finds herself traveling back in time and meeting the very hero she was going to write her new book about.) I have heard that many of Kurland's books are clean, and cute....so I will try again with one that has been recommended on clean reads. This book was definate PG-13 material...and the love story was lacking a bit to me. I did love some of ...more
Cara
Dec 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: time-travel
Pretty pathetic and unbelievable characters and dialogue, even before you throw in the time travel. THe main character has a 16 year old son, and women throwing themselves at him all the time, but somehow doesn't know how to kiss?!? And the heroine oscillateds between inability to handle the smallest thing, and superpowers as if someone was throwing a switch. Also, there is a major unbelieveable plot twist at the end that makes you feel like the author hit a publisher's deadline and finished the ...more
Ana M. Román
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Es la segunda vez que lo leo y me ha encantado como la primera vez. Es romántico, tierno, divertido... todo lo que pido de un libro. James MacLeod encarna el hombre de los sueños de cualquier mujer. Y el amor que le demuestra es tan tierno que roba el corazón, así como su manera de pensar tan divertida. Me ha sacado un par de carcajadas con su comportamiento y reflexiones.

He disfrutado inmensamente releyendo el libro, y sin duda ninguna no será la última vez que lo lea. Es uno de mis libros favo
Heather
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I love this author and love her books, but this is her first published book and it was not squeaky clean like her later novels. I don't like reading anything more than kisses in a novel, and this one definitely had more. I skipped lots of paragraphs, and wish I would have just put it down. Great story, but not clean enough for me.
Melissa
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Kurland. The story of James McLeod and Elizabeth Smith. If a man threw me in a pit, I would not be so forgiving! Not as clean as the others either and the love story just lacked something for me.
Kay
This was a light time-travel/highlander romance with some humor. It was fun to read about modern day Elizabeth adjust to life in 1311 Scotland. Also, fun to read about Jamie from 1311 in 1996. I didn't feel any depth in the characters but it is a sweet romance with tame love scenes.

2.5 Stars
Samantha
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
So god awful that negative stars would be a kindness.
  • The Christmas Cat (Includes: de Piaget, #4.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2.5)
  • Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2)
  • Highland Knight
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Everything in Its Time (Time After Time #1)
  • Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Touch of Enchantment (Lennox Family Magic, #2)
Lynn began her writing career at the tender age of five with a series of illustrated novellas entitled Clinton’s Troubles in which the compelling hero found himself in all sorts of . . . well, trouble. She was living in Hawaii at the time and the scope for her imagination (poisoned fish, tropical cliffs, large spiders) was great and poor Clinton bore the brunt of it. After returning to the mainlan ...more

MacLeod (10 books)
  • The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2; de Piaget/MacLeod, #4)
  • My Heart Stood Still (MacLeod, #3; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8)
  • A Garden in the Rain (MacLeod, #4; de Piaget/MacLeod, #10)
  • Much Ado in the Moonlight (MacLeod, #5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #12)
  • When I Fall in Love (de Piaget, #4; MacLeod, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #13)
  • With Every Breath (MacLeod, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #14)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #8; De Piaget #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #15)
  • Roses in Moonlight (MacLeod, #9; de Piaget/MacLeod, #19)
  • Ever My Love (MacLeod #10; de Piaget/MacLeod #22)
“You may weep more if you wish it," he announced, feeling exceedingly generous.” 7 likes
“Elizabeth," Jamie began gruffly, "there is aught I would speak of with you."

She lifted an eyebrow at his lordly tone. "Go ahead."

"It may take me a few hours to accustom myself to these possible future ways, but that does not mean I am weak or stupid."

Hours? She smiled. "I know that Jamie."

"Nor does that mean I have ceased being your lord. You will obey me in all things, as always."

"Of course, Jamie," she said meekly.

"And should you demand knowledge about this or that, I would give it to you because you required it, not because I thought you didn't know the answer already."

"Of course,"Jamie said arrogantly. "There would be no other reason to question you." Elizabeth suppressed her smile and was thankful that she was riding behind him so he didn't see the twinkle in her eyes. Heavens what an ego her husband had.”
3 likes