Start by marking “The Treasure” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  814 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Three times a voice comes to Isaac in his dreams and tells him to go to the capital city and look for a treasure under the bridge by the royal palace. Feeling a little foolish perhaps, but determined to see for himself if the dream is true, Isaac sets out on his long journey. What he finds makes a surprising and heart-warming ending to this retelling of a well-known folk t ...more
Published September 1st 1986 by Square Fish (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure

Ronyell
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I have recently been reading many books by Uri Shulevitz and I have just stumbled upon this book called “The Treasure.” “The Treasure” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Uri Shulevitz and it is about a man named Isaac who tries to find a buried treasure after his dreams tell him about the treasure. “The Treasure” may have beautiful illustrations, but many children might be bored with the simple storyline.

There once lived a man named Isaac who was very poor, however one night Isaac had a dream where a
Mj
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Treasure is a simple story with a wonderful message. Words are used sparsely and have a cadence and innocent quality to them. I know children will love joining in, to read the story out loud. What is particularly fun is that the same words are used on the trip home from the Royal Palace that were used on the trip to the Royal Palace, except in reverse order. I thought this reverse repetition was quite clever and a good way to engage children.

While the story is good, the stars of the book ar
Jenny
I am unsure what I think of this story. I liked the illustrations quite a bit but felt like the story was missing something. I absolutely think our greatest treasures are to be found at home...and it felt like on one level this was a story about gratitude except that finding a literal treasure negates that a bit in my opinion. Anyway, I am a bit unsettled as to my feelings. I asked my husband (who is of Jewish heritage) to read it and see if he had ever heard this folk tale and he had heard the ...more
Dolly
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice story that is interesting for children and yet tells the moral "Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near." I'm not sure if our girls got much more than the literal plot of the story, but it provided an opportunity for us to discuss being grateful for the things we have and the people who are near and dear to us. The illustrations are colorful and complement the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
The illustrations for this book really caught my eye, I couldn't help but like the way they were set up on the page, not fully covering it, but more like artwork in a gallery. The story was pretty simple, but its unique plot twist at the end was unexpected and pleasantly surprising. I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Karen
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
This is a great book! Picked it up at a Carole Joy Seid conference a while ago. Now that the kids are older, especially Jacob, he really gets it...8/17/15

Jacob read for November Pizza Hut Reading Challenge..krb 11/6/16 He rated it 3 stars
Crissy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by CJS and loved it
Maria Rowe
• 1980 Caldecott Honor Book •

I really liked this - short but powerful. This is really well done, and I like the art a lot. The moral is "Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near." Love it!

Materials used: unlisted
Typeface used: unlisted
Dan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you have to go far to find something near. I like that message.
Nicole Lamb
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Picture Book Critique #17

By: Uri Shulevitz

1. Picture Book Genre: Other – Traditional Literature and Caldecott Honor Book

2. Brief Summary: As one of the books I choose to read outside of the required categories I found The Treasure to be a compelling and intriguing tale about an elderly poor man names Isaac who traveled far from his home to the capital city to fulfill a vision from the same repeated dream. Isaac’s tale first begins as a very poor man who often goes to see hungry and a
Clark Mullen
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near."
Becca Ramsey
This book was quite interesting. The genre of the book is children's literature. It is about a poor man that has a dream one night about "the treasure." He believes that it is is this one town. He packs up his belongings and travels across mountains and rivers to get to this city. When he gets there, he goes to this castle where there are guards all around it. One day he approaches the guard to ask him about "the treasure." With a sarcastic response, the guard told him that the treasure is back ...more
Ivy Leach
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Type: Picture book

Genre: Fiction

Awards: Caldecott Honor

Summary:This story is aboout a man named Isaac who goes to bed hungry each night because he is so poor. One night he has a dream which instructs him to travel a long way from home to look for treasure. After the dream comes a third time, Isaac sets off on his way. When he gets there, it is revealed to him that his treasure lies in his own home.

Critique: My favorite part of this book is when it says "Sometimes one must travel fat to discover
Stefanie Burns
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
Sparsely worded story about a poor man who keeps having the same dream about finding treasure far away in the capital city. After the third time having the same dream, he journeys to the city only to realize the treasure is at home. Nicely illustrated story with a nice message. The illustrations of the capital city are exceptionally pretty.
KevinL
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mc-literature
I listened to the audio of the book. This is a great book that shows the great determination of the main character Isaac. Isaac grew up in poverty and knew what it was like to go to sleep hungry. One day he woke up from a dream that told him to go to the city and find a treasure under the bridge. Isaac thought nothing of this because it was only a dream. It wasn't until this dream occurred a second and a third time did Isaac really think something of it. Isaac srated out on his journey through t ...more
Jonathan Andrew
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A man named Isaac is very poor. He has a dream that tells him to search for a treasure in the city near the Royal Palace. When Isaac finally goes, a guard laughs at him for looking and tells him that if he had listened to a dream he had once, he would go look for a treasure underneath the stove in the house of a man named Isaac. So Isaac travels all the way back home, digs underneath his stove and finds treasure. He sends the guard a valuable ruby and never is poor again. The moral is "Sometimes ...more
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL STORY! Lovely pictures, simple storyline, and a very true moral. I very highly recommend this book for people of all ages, and especially for anyone who likes travel.
Monica
Isaac, a poor man who often went to bed hungry began having a recurring dream. In his dream he was told to go to the capitol and look for a treasure under the guarded bridge at the Royal Palace. The captain of the guards laughed at Isaac 19s journey and told him a story in jest about how he would go looking for a treasure under Isaac 19s stove. Isaac returned home and began digging under his stove.

Uri Shulevitz magnificently complements his simple yet beautifully written tale with soft and lumi
Linda Lipko
This 1980 Caldecott Honor book tells the tale of Isaac, who, living in poverty and need, heeds a voice spoken to in dreams Traveling far from his country side in the quest of finding a treasure under the bridge by the royal palace, Isaac learns a valuable lesson.

After a long, weary journey, Isaac does not find a treasure there and is told by a guard that perhaps he should return to where he came from and look for the treasure in his own home!

Returning, Isaac does just that, and lo and behold fin
Jacki
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Treasure is a folktale intended for Nursery readers. The Treasure was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1979.

The Treasure is a simple story about a man who had a dream and traveled a long way to look for the treasure promised him in his dream. He arrives at his destination and is greeted by a man who sends him home to discover his treasure.

The story is very simple, but the lesson learned is quite bold. The artwork is amazing, yet somewhat simple and minimal; the art is very poignant to the story. N
Samantha
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Isaac quite literally follows his dreams when they tell him to look for a treasure under the bridge by the Royal Palace. He makes the journey on foot and when he reaches the bridge he has a discussion with a palace guard who tells him that he had a dream that told him to go to Isaac's town and look for treasure buried beneath a stove. Isaac heads home, finds the treasure, builds a church, sends the palace guard a ruby, and lives in contentment the rest of his days. A simple story with a deeper m ...more
SamZ
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1980 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: I love Isaac crossing the bridge on his way home. The surrounding landscape and the river flowing past are lovely.
This was a cute story, but nothing special. The illustrations, however, are perfect! In the dedication, Shulevitz mentions his teachers who taught him of the Grand Masters (I assume, meaning the great painters of the Renaissance) - and that influence shows throughout the book. I felt like this collection of illustrations was a slightly an
Becky B
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Isaac dreams repeatedly that he will find treasure under the bridge in the city. At first he ignores the dream, but eventually he decides that if the dream keeps coming he should go check things out. He makes a long journey and finds he cannot get near the bridge because of guards. A conversation with one of the guards about dreams leads him back home where he finally finds treasure.

An allegorical tale about the things that can be found at home with beautiful illustrations. This one would be a g
Katie Fitzgerald
I like this story for its message, its surprise twist ending, and the warmth of the facial expressions on both Isaac and the captain. I appreciate the fact that Isaac sends a reward to the captain for his role in his discovery of the treasure, and that he is thankful for the wealth he receives. This story is a great lesson in following one’s dreams, being charitable with one’s wealth, and in the way a journey away from home can help us see something new about a place we’ve always known.
Julie Gerrish
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Treasure" is beautifully illustrated and teaches the lesson, "Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near." I think it is appropriate for any age to read. The main character, Isaac, follows what his dream tells him to do and seeks treasure in the bridge of the capital city, only to discover from a soldier that what Isaac was seeking is at home. I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations.
Connie
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the illustrations in this book. They are neither too simple nor too complex.

And I like the style of this book, a direct, straight-forward storytelling.

I'm not sure I like the story itself, though I can't put my finger on *why*, exactly. It isn't all that compelling to me or my nieces (5 and 2.5), anyway.
Tonia Sandersfeld
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A man living in poverty is told in a dream to travel to the capital city and look for a treasure under the palace bridge. In the end, he realizes that sometimes you have to travel far to find the greatest treasures are right back at home. I loved the moral to the story and the illustrations with soft lines and colors were very pretty.
Alicia Lawrence
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After having a dream about finding treasure in the capital 3 nights in a row, a poor man named Issac sets off on his journey to find the treasure. When at the castle, a guard asks the man why he is there. After laughing and telling him he has had a dream of finding treasure at a poor man named Issac's house, Issac goes home to find his treasure.
Krista
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
This book is short and sweet, but gets the message across quite simply. It portrays how you should be happy with the treasures you have, and I think that that is a very important message for children so that they do not get greedy or selfish in the future. The illustrations were not my favorite, but I still enjoyed the book.
Mitchell
A simple Caldecott Honor Winning story that made me smile. The art is pretty but not overwhelming, the text is very readable and has good pacing. And there's just something about the story that I like. And yet I don't think it would hold up to repeated reading. And I don't think I particularly like the message.
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
  • Rain Drop Splash
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Wee Gillis
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...