Start by marking “Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 2: The Prophet (20th Century Boys, #2)” as Want to Read:

Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 2: The Prophet

(20th Century Boys #2)

The Friend, an enigmatic cult leader who plans to destroy the world, declares, "The cosmos has begun choosing those who are true friends." Meanwhile, horrifying incidents are taking place: the emergence of a mysterious virus, the revelations of a man on the run... Kenji tries to find out who this Friend is, but the answer is still far ahead. The footsteps of doom slowly cr ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by VIZ Media (first published May 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 2

Start your review of Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 2: The Prophet (20th Century Boys, #2)
⋆  yel  ⋆
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020-reads
4 of 5 stars
Anthony Chavez
My gosh Urasawa never ceases to amaze me with his layered complex form of storytelling. I had to put Pluto down for a while as this first volume grabbed me. I love tales of childhood that come back to haunt the children later in life. If the first volume didn't bind you to this series then the 2nd one will, by the last page of volume 2 this series completely owned the highest admiration I can give a manga series, which in my opinion Urasawa also holds the title for with Monster.

This volume evok
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
It's a little early in the series, I know, but I am fairly certain that 20th Century Boys will be what I point to from now on when people ask me what Manga they should read.

Only two volumes in and...IT'S JUST THAT GOOD!
توفيق عبد الرحيم
apparently friend is otcho but i am not sure yet since it would be weird to give the answer to the whole conspiracy this fast, and i think they recruited his sister (somehow) and she is responsible for the germ warfare the virus or larvae or whatever that is sucking all the blood from human bodies.
Naoki Urasawa just became my second favorite manga writer that i will read all his works, i think he is the best to do it among the manga writers i read for, the second would be Hiroya Oku (Gantz), sin
James DeSantis
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great volume. You really get into the meet of the characters here which I really enjoyed. Kenji is one of the best main characters. Scared when it feels right, brave when it feels needed, it just don't feel "forced" and still gives you emotional moments and you've only just started knowing these characters.

I love the whole flash forward, flash back, current storyline going on. It gives real stakes and you wonder what in the world is happening. Kenji is at the center of it all and watchi
Bradley
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, manga
Cool plot. How would you like to wake up one day to realize that someone had taken your crazy ideas as a kid and turned them into a blueprint for world domination? Would you say no way? Would you freak out?

The characters are fascinating and well drawn in both senses. The Plot is even better. It goes deeper and deeper and this is only the second volume. I can't even imagine how far down the rabbit hole goes, but I'm definitely going to jump in. Thank you, Shonen Jump.
Derek Royal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fascinating volume. If there was any doubt after the first book that I was hooked by Urasawa's storytelling, that has been completely dispelled with this second installment. More characters, more storylines, and more mysteries are added to the mix here...which expect will be the case in subsequent volumes.
RG
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing. The characters are developing nicely, the plot deepens with tonnes of intrigue and the art is still very good. So far a very good series. I hope it maintains its storytelling and doesnt drop off.
Nelson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful! What a thriller! I need to keep reading!
Mikael Kuoppala
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A saga that took off with a bang continues with head-hurting momentum and ever increasing complexity. Urasawa keeps on getting the reader hooked into this tale of a cult connected to the upcoming fall of the human race, stemming from the buried memories of a group of friends. Friends who reconnect to solve the mystery of their shared childhood with its deadly ripples.

Volume 1 "Friends" was all about the dynamic of the posse, but this volume really zooms in on Kenji, the main protagonist. We get
Nadia Costa
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And Kenji's mission continues...
Villain E
For my money, nobody builds a story like Naoki Urasawa. In any medium.

First we get more setup. We meet Yukiji, the toughest girl in school. She's as disappointed as anyone that they've all become boring adults. Then we meet Cho-San, a cop investigating the Friends. Then we meet Kamisama, a homeless psychic. We learn more about Kenji's relationship with his sister as Kenji works to provide for his niece.

And finally, some pieces start to come together in a dramatic way.

The pacing is great. The ch
John Wiswell
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, this ate my afternoon.

Book 1 hit full stride when it began Donkey’s story, about one of Kenji’s childhood friends who was poor, unwanted and eventually became integral to their band of friends. Book 2 similarly hits its stride with the story of Kiriko, Kenji’s sister who leveraged her whole life to give him opportunities, but has recently vanished. We learn that as a little girl, Kiriko argued her parents out of aborting Kenji, promising to treat him like her own baby, and it radically re
Michael
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
This series is very near and dear to my heart. It's the first complete manga I ever read (maybe, .hack might have been the first), and it has one of the most in depth plots in any graphic novel ever. The basic premise of the series is kind of similar to Stephen King's 'It', though minus the killer clown. It has a giant robot without being about a giant robot, dash of romance that simmers in the background, and most of all it invokes that feeling you had as a child dreaming about how amazing the ...more
Keith
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語で
Volume 1 of 20th Century Boys had been sitting on my shelf for years -- it was one of the first Japanese-language books I ever bought, long before I could even scratch its surface.

I finally noticed it sitting there recently, picked it up, realized "Oh shit, I can actually read this now," and proceeded to tear-ass through it with much joy. Then I went to Kinokuniya, ready after all these years to plunk down my dough for Volume 2, and... they had just stopped carrying the series entirely. Gnashed
Michael Sorbello
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a review of the entire series.

Synopsis: Humanity, having faced extinction at the end of the 20th century, would not have entered the new millennium if it weren't for them. In 1969, during their youth, they created a symbol. In 1997, as the coming disaster slowly starts to unfold, that symbol returns. This is the story of a gang of boys who try to save the world. Failed rock musician Kenji's memories of his past come rushing back when one of his childhood friends mysteriously commits sui
Farhana Lüba
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philip
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a bigger fan of Asano's artstyle, like in Goodnight Punpun, over Urasawa's artwork. I'm not an expert on manga but I felt Asano's illustrations had a richer level of detail (maybe done as a contrast to Punpuns barebones character design). Urasawa instead focuses our mind's eye to up close character shots, instead of hyper detailed set pieces and designs I've grown used to. I still really enjoyed the story Urasawa has put together so far. 20th century boys combines elements of slice of life, ...more
twentypoundherald
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

standouts: detective cho-san getting double-crossed, otcho's tibetan appearance, psychic homeless old man 'Kamisama' (God)

quotes:
1. yukiji - [of a class reunion] basically, you see each other again after all these years, and you're like, what a letdown, i should never have come!

2. kiriko - i can't believe you're still hungry
kenji - well... I am still alive ...

3. train station killer - and anyway she's really vulnerable right now. she just lost the man she loved, right? women like that are the
Andrea
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
February 8, 2018: The second volume expands on the spreading influence of "Friend" among his devotees. Police can't be trusted. Germ warfare has been launched according to the rules of a childish game. God has prophetic dreams and shoplifts lunch box from the convenience store. Meanwhile, it is revealed that Kenji's sister might have had a dark secret when she disappeared. This series is so damn good..........
Adam Spanos
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: viz, manga
If the first volume didn't bind you to this series then the 2nd one will, by the last page of volume 2 this series completely owned the highest admiration I can give a manga series. It evoked a lot of emotions from me without being cheap about it. No I didn't cry, I'm just invested in the future of all the characters and can't wait to see what lays in wait for them all.
Noninuna
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume 2 seems shorter than the previous one. We're still guessing who is Friend and how he came about to be who he is now. Our MC, Kenji is facing problems with his franchise mart manager and the appearance of an old friend, Yujiki is not helping him at all with the situation. For one, she seems to remember a lot of things from the past compared to him.
Reija
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A re-read.
Still extremely good. Story flows like a movie and there's a natural progression for all the characters. Sometimes the mystery feels a bit too on the nose, like I want them to figure out who the 'Friend' is.
Marguerite Giguère
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are so many unexpected turns of events in this author's books! It's always exciting and even though you can usually guess some of what's happening, there's always an element of surprise. I can't wait to read the rest!!
Peter Barr
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second in the series really caught my interest. The characters are wonderfully flawed and the story has some surprises that don't seem too outlandish for manga. This one opens up some questions as well and does a great job of setting the stage. So far, so good...
Tatsuhiro Satou
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The greatest thing about Naoki Urasawa Sir writing stories is how brilliantly he builds a new story layer after layer and he beautiful he runs past and present simultaneously. He is truly a Gem of manga world.
Ben Nealis
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Wonderful book. More mystery and plot development.
Thikrayat Al-aradi
story is going slow, and it is still confusing..
M.i.
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mystery is really building up now, and the characters are a treat to learn about. This volume ups the ante.
Pam
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume introduces just enough information to get you completely sucked into the mystery and to begin developing attachments to the characters.
« previous 1 3 next »

• おやすみプンプン 2
  • おやすみプンプン 3
  • おやすみプンプン 4
  • Buonanotte, Punpun Vol. 5
  • おやすみプンプン 1
  • おやすみプンプン 13 (Oyasumi Punpun, #13)
  • おやすみプンプン 11
  • おやすみプンプン 12
  • おやすみプンプン 9
  • おやすみプンプン 10
  • 血の轍 1 [Chi no Wadachi 1] (A Trail of Blood, #1)
  • おやすみプンプン 8
  • おやすみプンプン 7
  • おやすみプンプン 6
  • チェンソーマン 1 (Chainsaw Man, #1)
  • ハピネス 2 (Happiness, #2)
  • Happiness, Vol. 5
  • ハピネス 7 (Happiness, #7)
Urasawa Naoki (浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival exc

20th Century Boys (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 01 (20th Century Boys, #1)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 3 (20th Century Boys, #3)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 4 (20th Century Boys, #4)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 5 (20th Century Boys, #5)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 6 (20th Century Boys, #6)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 7 (20th Century Boys, #7)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 8 (20th Century Boys, #8)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 9 (20th Century Boys, #9)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 10 (20th Century Boys, #10)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 11 (20th Century Boys, #11)