Start by marking “Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High Book 2)

Roman and the Hopeless Romantic

(Gulf City High #2)

Rule #1 of falling in love with your best friend’s sister: Be prepared to fight for her.

Even though Cassandra Carrigan doesn’t want to be fought for. No matter what he does, she won’t speak to Roman Sullivan. Not a single word.

When Roman’s parents move, forcing him to live with the Carrigans, he’s not sure how he’s supposed to live in a room next to the girl he’s loved

Kindle Edition
Published February 7th 2020 by Twin Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about Roman and the Hopeless Romantic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roman and the Hopeless Romantic

Start your review of Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High Book 2)
Rach
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series.

We met Cassie and Roman in the first book. Cassie suffers from anxiety and shyness which stems from watching her mum get shot. Roman is a popular person but his parents aren’t really in his life. Cassie and Roman use to best friends but after what happened to Cassie with her mum she stop talking to Roman.

A situation happens to Romans which ensures he will be in Cassie life even more and from their relationship starts to mend and become more.

Both main
Lissa Hawley
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet romance with heart. Michelle MacQueen's YA romances somehow combine the tragedy of a John Green novel (without being horrible and depressing) with the sweetest romance a la Kasie West. It's a talent and it is wonderful.
Highly recommended.
Jessica Landberg
This book was a lovely read, just like the first one! It was fun to see Jesse and Charlie again, but now the focus is on Roman and Cassie, and I've been looking forward to getting to know them as well.

Besides the love story (which is adorable!) we get an idea about what it's like to suffer from PTDS and anxiety. Since Cassies mother was killed two years ago she speaks to no one but her family, and the only time she leaves the house is when she goes to her therapy sessions. Before that Roman was
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received an early ecopy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

Um...can I just say this might be my favorite of the contemporary stories I've read by Michelle MacQueen so far? Because it's right up there, and I loved it! It had a nice mix of 'real life', friendship, romance, and healing relationships/character growth that it felt more like a story about their life and not just focused on the 'romance' while still having plenty of romance to keep it firmly in the YA Contemporary
Cait Marie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the first book, we were introduced to Jesse’s sister, Cassie, and his best friend, Roman. After witnessing their mother’s murder, Cassie suffers from PTSD and anxiety. She has barely left the house or spoken to anyone outside her family in two years. Not even to Roman, who used to be her best friend too.

On the outside, Roman is this cocky, light-hearted hockey player, but he’s struggling to find where he belongs. Jesse’s family has been there for him more than his own, and when Roman’s
Vibliophile
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) - from PTSD to more, inc a parental caveat

I suffer from anxiety, though thankfully, not to a debilitating level. But I do have an idea of what it's like to walk into a room full of strangers while your brain is screaming at you to run away.

Thankfully, I figured out fairly early on that the best thing to do for it was to not give in to it. Giving in to it makes it more powerful & therefore worse; so instead I learned things I can do to help reduce it, as well as how nutrition can
Lillian
I received an eARC of this book via the author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

Best friends….secret love….y’all Michelle MacQueen put my two favorite tropes into one incredibly sweet story. Roman and the Hopeless Romantic is the second book in Macqueen’s Gulf City High series, and as the title suggests, follows the story of Roman Sullivan. If you’ve read book one, he should be familiar as Jesse’s flirtatious, good-natured best friend. I was really
Bethany
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Cassie witnesses the murder of her mother, she develops anxiety over just about everything. She doesn't talk to anyone and always has her nose in a book. Romances are a way for Cassie to escape from everything around her, especially one of her favorite male leads Cade. Cassie misses the way things used to be, but she can't ever go back. To her, there's a Before and an After.

When Roman learns that his parents are moving, Jesse offers for him to live at their house. Roman jumps at the chance
Angela's Book Addiction
Roman and the Hopeless Romantic by Michelle MacQueen is a contemporary young adult, friends to lovers romance told in third person, dual POV. It's the second book in the Gulf City High series and can be read as a standalone.

Cassie has suffered from panic attacks and debilitating PTSD related anxiety after tragically losing her mother two years ago. She can barely leave her house or even speak to anyone outside of her family members. When her former friend and her brother's current best friend,
Lindsy
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second story in a new series. I highly recommend this series and author!
I love that these stories deal with so much more than romance and are super relatable. You meet Cassie in the first book about her brother Jesse. She has crippling anxiety so she barely leaves the house or talks to anyone. Her brother has tried to help her as much as he can and has pretty much taken on the role of both parents.
Roman is his best friend and soon to be housemate because his parents drop a bomb
MeaQC
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I have fallen in love with this series. I got so caught up in this book that I lost track of time, lol.
It is beautifully written! The way Ms. Macqueen wrote about PTSD and anxiety was so special. It was a brutally hones look at someone who was living with these 2 conditions. I finished this book with a new understanding, connection and admiration for those who live with these conditions and those around them that try to help.
As in
Nate Hensley
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to start out by saying that Michelle MacQueen is one of my favorite authors. I am always so excited to read her next book and once again she doesn’t disappoint with this book. I instantly fell in love with the character Cassie in this book because she is dealing with an issue that many people deal with but isn’t talked about enough which is debilitating anxiety. This story is about overcoming an issue and fighting for what you want but Michelle reminds us that asking for help is not a ...more
Elysian Fields
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very quickly falling in love with this series (and this author). I love sibling's best friend tropes and this story was an example of why.

It has heart and tension, wonderful dynamics, sassy and spunk, but also is realistic and sweet. The characters are real and heartfelt, while the story line brings in real life issues. This YA/NA story is one that the entire family can read and all find wonderful for their own reasons.

The characters are dealing with their own personal chances, ideas,
Nina Derr
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, but I would have bought it in a heartbeat. This is the second book in the Gulf City High series and my favorite so far. The tears couldn't help but flow with this one. Talk about romance! This book doesn't just talk about love but you also get honesty, and comedy but also anxiety and uncertainty. Cassie dives into her romance novels to escape the real world and her anxiety. I can definitely relate since I do the same thing. I love how the ...more
Sareena
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle has done it again. She knows exactly how to deliver a cute love story while making you wish you could befriend all of the characters. There were no mean girls for unnecessary drama, there was just Roman and Cassie trying to find their way back to each other after a tragedy. I loved Cassie and Roman! They both have issues but they don't let them turn them into unlikable people. So many YA books about mental health will rip your heart out (and stomp on it for good measure) but that's not ...more
Sara
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second installment in The Gulf City High series was everything I wanted it to be and more. I've been anxiously waiting to read Roman and Cassie's story since finishing Jesse and the Ice Princess. The love story along with themes of anxiety are handled wonderfully. Cassie has real struggles and you can't help but cheer for her when you're reading about her learning to challenge herself. Roman is there every step of the way and it's an added element to their story that makes it even more ...more
Regina
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALL THE FEELS!

I fell in love with Cassie and Roman in "Jesse and the Ice Princess", and their story was just so heartbreaking, yet also hopeful, sweet, and sometimes outright funny. It's not only a romance, but also a story about family (which istn't limited to the one you were born into) and about dealing with trauma - and healing.

Like the first book, it is beautifully written, and I can't wait to read more in the series!
Ioana
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone some who struggles with anxiety, I absolutely loved this book. I know the strength it took Cassie to overcome her disorder and it made me feel proud and happy that she found her happy ending.

Roman is the absolut book boyfriend. He managed to heal himself alongside Cassie and finally find the family he deserved.
Georgia
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy for an honest review. I love Cass. She’s probably my new favorite character written by this duo. I relate to her soo much. I’ll be honest, I liked this one better than the others. I was hooked from the very first page and the drama between Cassie and Roman was enough to keep me bewitched. I want more of them and Hadley too.
NanaShauna Joesten
This is a fantastic series. Cassandra lost her mother in an accident and when that happened everything in her life changed. Now that she realizes the young man that is her Brothers best friend will she open up again. This is a very touching story that really pulls at your heart strings. I definitely recommend this read.
Shauna Joesten
Belinda
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read that gives you a bit of romance and a sense of a 'can-do attitude and overcoming barriers. I only wish that the book didnt end so quickly.
Brittany Smith
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there any limit to the greatness that is Michelle Maqueen?!

We carry on in the series from Jesse to Roman. Not only so we get to know more about the wonderful Roman we really get a feel and story about Cassie (Jesse’s sister). We know from book one that she suffered major trauma after witnessing her mom’s death, but in book two we delve deeper into it and see her journey to a hopeful recovery.

The characters are so loveable and full bodied that you wish they were your friends! The emotions are
Saundra Wright
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! It deals with so much more than romance. Shyness, anxiety and self-doubt are universal, no one is immune. But the world outside ourselves often judges us for them. So how do we grow beyond our problems? Sometimes help from our friends makes all the difference.

Roman is the rich boy hockey player that uses his smiles and wit to hide the insecurity he feels. In reality his parents have been absent from most of his life. Their efforts go almost exclusively to their business.
Felichia Douglas
drac.ula
Feb 09, 2020
Olga

• Dragon Rising
  • Charming the Cheerleader (The Bet Duet #1)
  • Playing the Enemy (The Trouble with Tomboys Book 1)
  • Dare You to Kiss the Quarterback (Rock Valley High Book 1)
  • Girl at Heart
  • Dating Texas (Discovering Me, #3)
  • Playing The Field (The Trouble with Tomboys Book 3)
  • The Man, The Myth, The Nerd: A Sweet YA Romance (Crazy Crush Book 3)
  • Playing to Win (The Trouble with Tomboys Book 2)
  • Too Nerdy to Handle: A Sweet YA Romance (Crazy Crush Book 2)
  • City Girl vs Country Boy (Forever Love #1)
  • Just a Boyfriend (End of the Line #2)
  • Outcast Girl vs Pretty Boy (Forever Love #4)
  • Safety in the Friendzone
  • Dating Washington (Discovering Me, #2)
  • Bang on Loosely (The Bangover #3)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Shy Girl vs Popular Boy (Forever Love #3)
Writing under the names M. Lynn and Michelle MacQueen, I don't like to put myself in one box. Both fantasy and YA romance suit different sides of the same person and I wouldn't be a complete writer without them both.
Whether it be epic fairytale inspired fantasies or simple stories of first love, I love to write about romance, a feeling of home that can be found in a person rather than a place.
My

Gulf City High (2 books)
  • Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High Book 1)