Start by marking “Midwinter Murder: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery” as Want to Read:

Midwinter Murder: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery

INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!

"Reading a perfectly plotted Agatha Christie is like crunching into a perfect apple: that pure, crisp, absolute satisfaction.” —Tana French, New York Times bestselling author of the Dublin Murder Squad novels

An all-new collection of winter-themed stories from the Queen of Mystery, just in time for the holidays—including the original ve
Published October 20th 2020 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Midwinter Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwinter Murder

Start your review of Midwinter Murder: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery
Bill Lynas
Midwinter Murder is a new collection of old stories from the Queen of Crime, loosely based around a winter theme.
Some of the stories are almost 100 years old, but still manage to entertain. It's light, fluffy & easy on the brain. A pleasant antidote to these troubled times.
Javier
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
"Midwinter Murder" is a collection of winter themed short stories by Agatha Christie. In case you don't know it, Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors ever and the one responsible for my love of reading nowadays. I think I've read practically all of her novels, but not her short stories cause I tend to be disappointed with short stories on a general basis. And that was the case here too.

Here we have stories for everyone, starring all her main characters (Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tu
Tanya
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still consider myself an Agatha Christie novice, but since I read the autumn-themed collection released last year, I couldn't pass up this new, winter-themed one—although it was rather weird to be reading this during the scorching summer we've been having!

The two big favorites, Poirot and Marple, make repeat appearances, but so do some of the lesser-known Christie detectives, such as Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Quin, and Parker Pyne, all of whom I wasn't familiar with before reading these stories.
Les Wilson
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although I’d read the stories before it did not inhibit my enjoyment in reading them again. Still the queen of crime writers.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I love Agatha Christie and have read her works extensively so it was a treat to have these winter and holiday stories.  I had read some of these stories previously but it was far enough in the past I didn't remember them well.

All of my favorite characters, as well as lesser known ones, have representation here.  Miss Marple, Herc
Annie
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Midwinter Murder is a collection of 12 short stories plus an autobiographical Christmas vignette introduction by Dame Agatha Christie herself. Due out 20th Oct 2020 from HarperCollins on their William Morrow imprint, it's 320 pages and will be available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats.

These stories span publication dates from the 1920s through 1954 (with the exception of the autobiography excerpt from 1977). Christie's perennial sleuths
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
A hot cup of tea and reading Agatha Christie's ingenious mysteries make for the perfect settings for a mystery lover.

Midwinter Murder is a splendid collection of some of her most engrossing short mysteries featuring Hercule Poirot, Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Quinn and Parker Pyne.

Short yet mind boggling, this book features twelve short stories by the Queen of Crime that are a perfect treat for all mystery lovers.

If you are new to Agatha Christie's books then start with this one to get a taste of
Sandy
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I don't know exactly why, but I thought (hoped?) that there might be some stories here that I hadn't read. One story was previously unpublished, all the rest were stories I had read before. Perhaps I have just read too much Agatha Christie!

That said, this is a nice collection of Christie's short stories - we have most of the favorites included. Poirot, Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, Harley Qu
Anna Fox
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some good mysteries from Dame Christie. Most of course I have read before so had a vague idea of who done it. I hadn't read some of them, so it was nice to be exposed to those. The ones I hadn't read, the mystery kept me guessing.

Thank you to the publisher, and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Irene
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Midwinter Murder by Agatha Christie. Is there really anyone better than Lady Agatha.....what a delightful treat. Perfect for fireside or beach reading.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Elisa
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Agatha Christie has been one of my favorite authors since I was 12. Her stories are always intriguing and amusing. Even when I can guess whodunit, the ambience, characters and plot twists are worth reading. Since Dame Agatha passed away in 1976, there can’t be any new books by her own hand (Poirot may live on, but it’s not the same). This new collection is fantastic. All set in the winter, on or around Christmas, and many featuring snow, it brings together stories about all her recurring charact ...more
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
What’s more cozy than curling up in a big armchair with a collection of mysteries from the master? Midwinter Murder includes twelve chilling Agatha Christie tales perfect for dark and snowy nights. Fan favorites Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple appear, as well as lesser-known characters like Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Parker Pyne, and Mr. Harley Quin. Murder, disguise, mystery, and romance: this book has it all.

The collection opens with Christie’s memories of “Christmas at Abney Hall.” I’ve always fo
Julie Graves
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
This is a compilation of short stories by Agatha Christie. I had never read them before so I enjoyed them very much. A couple of them featured Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's never-to-be-forgotten famous Belgium detective with the mega "gray cells" and the perfectly groomed mustache. A couple featured Miss Marple as well. I've not read any Tommy and Tuppance stories before so reading a short story with them in it has me curious to read of their adventures. Each short story is about 30 minutes ...more
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Minna
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow for the opportunity to review this title. An honest review was requested but not required.

I am a big fan of Agatha Christie so I was very much looking forward to reading this. I didn’t really realize this was a collection of short stories beforehand but it was a nice change of pace.

When I think of “midwinter” I picture, if not
Christmas, then at least cold, dark and snowy. Of all the stories, Three Blind Mice and Christmas Adventure (the first and last
Missy.BigSkyBooks
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
By: Agatha Christie
HarperCollins Publishers
William Morrow Paperpacks
@harpercollins
@williammorrowbooks

October marks 100 years of Agatha Christie. Her cozy-mysterious-who-done-it stories and characters stand the test of time. Today a collection of her short stories titled Midwinter Murder: Fireside Tales from the Queen of Mystery is being published.

The short stories included are:

▪️Three Blind Mice
▪️The Chocolate Box
▪️The Christmas Tragedy
▪️
Meghan
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from HarperCollins Publishers - William Morrow Paperbacks in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Poirot and Miss Marple are very popular in our mystery collection and Agatha Christie never seems to disappoint. This was another nail biting thrilling tale that I could not stop reading. The plot twists and turns make this series so exciting that just when you thought you had everything figured out, anot
Debbie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
"Midwinter Murder" is a collection of short stories by Agatha Christie, plus one excerpt from her autobiography. I presume that all of the stories were set in wintertime; most were obviously so. I've read most of the stories before, but there were a few that I haven't come across before. They included stories featuring Miss Marple, Hercules Poirot, Tommy and Tuppence, Harley Quin, and Parker Pyne. The stories mostly showed the detectives uncovering the truth rather than being puzzle mysteries. S ...more
Valerie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Midwinter Murder is an entertaining collection of Agatha Christie short stories, all focused around the winter season and the holidays. Fans of Christie will recognize recurring characters and motifs that are present in many of her works. I was unfamiliar with a most of the stories in this collection, so it was a lot of fun to read the new-to-me pieces. In typical Christie fash
Booksandcoffeepleasemx
Midwinter Murder is a collection of winter-themed short stories, including the original version of “Christmas Adventure”, never before released in the United States.
I must confess that this is the first time that I read a book from this author, I’ve heard such amazing things from her work that I guess I had really high expectations, the stories were good, but they fell a little short for me. Sorry Christies’s fans, maybe I should have started with another book.

Kathleen Gray
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's easy to forget how clever Agatha Christie was but this winter themed collection had me smiling and nodding as I read along. These stories were originally published between the 1920s and 1950s and they feature some of her most famous characters as well as those a casual reader might find obscure. Not all of them are hits - some drag a bit (even in short story format!)- but others, well others will keep you guessing. Know that Three Blind Mice comprises a large section of the volume; I for on ...more
Evelyn Jane Thorne
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Midwinter Murder features winter themed short stories by Agatha Christie. Some of Christie’s most popular characters such as Pirot and Miss Marple make appearances throughout the stories.

This is the first book by Christie which have read although I have seen several of the television shows based on her characters. I thought that the stories were interesting and I enjoyed the whodunit mystery. I also liked the introduction from Christie which recalled a memory of a time that she spent Christmas
Monika
3.5/5⭐️

I requested this as soon as I saw the title!! I love Christie’s works. Midwinter Murders is a collection if winter themed short stories featuring Christie’s classic characters - Poirot, Marple, Tuppence and other lesser known characters. Comprises of 12 stories, each unique, quirky and well framed but they did not intrigue me like her other works + they aren’t that compelling like I expected. My most favourite was Three Blind mice and least favourite was Sanctuary! A decent winter themed
Madi T
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect Agatha Christie book for the winter season. I loved this compilation of short mysteries that felt like a classic, cozy winter read perfectly paired with a fireplace and warm drink. Not too scary, but intriguing puzzles that keep you guessing. I appreciated that the collection included some Poirot/classic Christie characters, but each stood alone and could be enjoyed without any prior knowledge. I love a classic whodunnit and these stories represent one of the best authors of ...more
Deborah
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advanced-read
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Not mentioned in the publisher's blurb is that this collection also contains "Three Blind Mice", the story that her play "The Mousetrap" is based on.

As a huge fan of Agatha Christie, I have read all of these before and own most of them. However, this did not take away from my enjoyment of this collection.
Recommended for classic mystery fans.
joyce w. laudon
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This collection of winter themed stories from the esteemed Agatha Christie will be welcomed by her fans, readers new to her works, and those who enjoy mystery tales.

With twelve intriguing stories, readers will be able to wile away a few evenings as the days get shorter. I enjoyed and recommend this title. It was a delight to discover some new Christies.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Libby
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This collection is a good reminder of why Christie is called the Queen of Crime. Her plots and characters manage to seem both familiar and original at the same time. Even her short fiction which can be read in a single sitting is satisfyingly well-developed. The winter connection is important in some of the stories, incidental in others. But as the subtitle says, they all seem perfect to be read in front of a roaring fire on a snowy evening.

Review based on an ARC from NetGalley.
Melisende
A wonderful collection of short stories curated around the theme of winter and christmas. These stories, featuring well known characters such as Poirot, Marple, Pyne, and Quin, have all appeared in previously published tomes. This will make a nice addition to anyone's Agatha Christie library - and will be adding it to my own.
Jessica
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of Agatha Christie I’ve read but it won’t be the last. I throughly enjoyed this book of a collection of her short stories set in winter. My favorite was Three Blind Mice. I like the writing and the condensed mysteries and how smartly things come together. . Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc for an honest review.
Krista
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
A nicely curated selection of short stories, perfect for Christie diehards and new fans who want a little taste of her long running detectives as well as a selection of one-off characters to warm the winter season.

Netgalley provided me with an arc in exchange for an honest review.

• Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Meaty
  • The Getaway
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Island
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • The Text
  • The Heirs of Locksley (The Robin Hood Stories, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Sherwood (The Robin Hood Stories, #1)
  • Anxious People

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t