Start by marking “Paladin's Grace” as Want to Read:
Paladin's Grace

Paladin's Grace

Stephen’s god died on the longest day of the year…

Three years later, Stephen is a broken paladin, living only for the chance to be useful before he dies. But all that changes when he encounters a fugitive named Grace in an alley and witnesses an assassination attempt gone wrong. Now the pair must navigate a web of treachery, beset on all sides by spies and poisoners, while
Published February 11th 2020 by Red Wombat Studio

Start your review of Paladin's Grace
FV Angela
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come at smexybooks.com
Susan
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
4.5 stars. I've only been reading T. Kingfisher for a few years but she's quickly become one of my favorite authors (her Twitter feed is pretty entertaining too, especially if you care about wombats and chickens). She strikes just the right balance between snarky and genuine, and her characters are usually down-but-not-out regular Joes and Janes whom you immediately want to see find their HEA.

Several recent books, including Clockwork Boys and Swordheart were fantasy adventures that featured
Aspen Junge
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fans of the world of the Temple of the White Rat rejoice! You don’t have to wait for the sequel to Swordheart, because Paladin’s grace is here!

Well, you do have to wait for the sequel to Swordheart, but this will get you a dose of T. Kingfisher to help tide you over.

The Saint of Steel was known for his Paladins—men and women at arms who were famed for their targeted battle rages—precision berserkery, as it were. The Saint gave them the black tide that made them practically unbeatable in battle—
Pete W
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
T. Kingfisher best written book for me so far.

The first three chapters were so somber it make my heart hurt. We see the aftermath of the first chapter. How the remainders of the order cope with the fact that they still living. Then things took a turn for... farcical? slapstick? When Grace enter the scene.

Ms. Vernon can write comedy. Her funny dialogues can make you gasping for air from excessive laughter. Here she used it to the great effect, by juxtapose it with the punch in the gut of some
Jacey
Shelves: fantasy
Set in the same world as Swordheart, The Clockwork Boys and The Wonder Engine, but unconnected, this is a fabulous read.

Stephen is a paladin, utterly broken by the death of the Saint of Steel, the god he served. Now, three years later, along with half a dozen other broken paladins (the only survivors of the god's death) he serves the Temple of the White Rat. His only ambition is to be useful without experiencing his dead god's uncontrollable berserker madness and killing innocent people. His
Madison Schaeffer
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It occurred to me while reading this book that I've been quite literally reading Ursula Vernon for 18 years. She brings something to the table that no other author can quite manage: an anthropological approach to world-building and a gleeful fascination with the universe. I always love her characters, and I will be honest that I especially love the paladins. (And Zale. I really love Zale.) This is a romance, sort of, but it's a romance/serial killer murder mystery with the usual fantasy spin. I ...more
Patti L
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
T. Kingfisher excels at creating characters who have flaws that the readers can relate to, who circle back to their same perceived imperfections, and are often overly influenced by those who have hurt them in the past.
The relatability makes the stories all the more engrossing for the readers who pick at their own emotional scabs.
The perils were arresting, and the environment richly detailed, down to the near slicing of the skin on the paladin during the main characters' first meeting. The one
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

A an engaging new book by T. Kingfisher, set in the same world as Clocktaur Wars and Swordheart.

Paladin's Grace is very much in the same mould as the above books, and hits some of the same beats - a broken paladin, pairing up with a mature woman with an emotionally painful and sexually unsatisfying relationship history. Lot of lusting after each other and sticking their foot in their mouths, followed by a passionate consummation. The plot involves a perfumer, her best friend (a spy), the broken
Alicia
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

YAYYYY a new Ursula Vernon book!!! A breath of fresh air in these troubled times. This one is set in her Clocktaur/Swordheart world, but is a standalone story--a ROMANCE! I love the way she writes romances so am very here for this. Our hero is a paladin whose god has died, and now he serves in the Temple of the White Rat (the lawyers/healers in this world). He is also a KNITTER! Our heroine is a perfumer (whose best friend and landlady is a spy!), dealing
Ellen
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another of Kingfisher's Paladin Romances! This is how I think of them, all 4 (and more coming!) books in the Temple of the White Rat universe, although one was technically a talking sword and not a Paladin at all.

But Paladin's Grace does in fact have a proper Paladin, one whose god is dead, and he's been muddling persistently along in service to the Temple of the White Rat (godly lawyers). He's one side of the moony romance.

The other is Grace (aaah see what she did there), a Master Perfumer with
MB (What she read)
I absolutely loved this new T. Kingfisher novel and hope to see many more set in this world! As always, TK is a master of characterization, with intricate and suspenseful plots, full of great (Pratchettish) quips and dialogue with a lot of life wisdom mixed in. Highly recommended by me.

I was totally rooting for Stephen and Grace all the way-- both super likeable, honorable, life-damaged but strong protagonists. I loved Beartongue and the Rats. Wish we had some of them IRL. Obviously I need to
Meg
K.J. Charles
Feb 16, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy, m-f
A delightful fluffy romance with a high severed head count. A paladin whose god died meets a perfumer who's escaped an abusive marriage and the romance develops over a pile of dead assassins, political intrigue, spies, religious fanatics, and decapitation. On brand T Kingfisher. I read it in a delightful evening sitting and enjoyed every moment. Linked to Swordheart but it's not necessary to have read that, you just should because it's also wonderful.
Faith
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really love this world, and it is always a delight to revisit it. Particularly interesting this time to get the perfumery, and the mystery beheadings subplot had a satisfyingly chilling horror vibe to it (though, sadly, it remains unresolved for a sequel which I am already anticipating). Also the bishop is fantastic. Sadly, not enough gnoles.

This couple does have much of the same vibe as Swordheart (paladins, man. And flustered-but-capable older women with previously unfulfilling
Matt
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I would recommend this book to anyone in the mood for a romance, especially if they like fantasy and they're over about 30. Where some books can feel like a romance with a fantasy plot and setting tacked on as an afterthought Paladin's Grace weaves them together so that it all flows entirely naturally. There's even an element of Horror that really ratchets up the tension and helps bring things to a truly satisfying conclusion.

Also, final note, go read Swordheart first. It's just
Finn Mclellan
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
T. Kingfisher knocks it out of the park again with a story which is equal parts absurd, heartwrenching, uplifting, and just plain terrifying. Also contains one of the absolute best non-romantic relationships I've ever encountered in the form of the broken paladins and the absolute care and love they have for one another, plus a romantic relationship which is utterly perfect and as full of awkward and ridiculous as the best real-life ones are.

Do yourself a favour and read this book (and then go
Bentgaidin
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'Paladin's Grace' is excellent fun, and if you enjoy the things that I do, you should check it out now. If you need more, it's a fantasy romance about a talented, practical lady going and getting herself the himbo she deserves; also paladins, palace intrigue, and poisons, as well as two hurting people finding the companion they need to sooth the damaged places in their hearts. It's a stand-alone book, but part of a larger world of things happening and I'm really looking forward to seeing what ...more
Lorelei
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
New T. Kingfisher! New T. Kingfisher! I like that this world is apparently now her go-to romance setting, because paladins are inherently absurd which really sets everyone up for a lot of silly fun. I tend not to like "pure" romance novels, but I do love people falling in love by accident while dealing with other problems in their lives.

Highly recommended if you need a book to remind you that silliness and joy and love are still possible in the world, especially if you're ok with a side of
Vik-thor Rose
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Yes. Yes!! YES!!

Miss Kingfisher has delivered another totally wonderful and unexpected story set in her Clockwork Boys setting. We get returning and new characters . While I have never thought of myself as a fan of romance stories, I may have to rethink that if Misses Kingfisher and Hogarth keep writing in the genre (or at least Romance-Adjacent books). I am even tempted to try _The Twisted Ones _ even though I definitely don’t like horror stories. I am very glad that Ursula is sharing her
Angela
Shelves: favorites
Think i just love the author's work way too much. Went right back to the beginning of the book to reread favorite scenes again just because I loved them or a particular line so much. also cried a whole bunch because of the characters. I felt the first incipient tears very early on as I read about how the paladins are coping with the loss of their god. and the humour is wonderful and helps immensely.

I am hoping to see books appear eventually for the other paladins. Or even for Marguerite, the
Simon Roberts
Absolutely brilliant

There are few books that have engaged me this well. The plot was excellent, the characters were likeable, the weasels were adorable, and the humour perfectly timed.
Bonus: there’s three other books in this setting, none of which need to be read previously. An antidote to all the wannabe epic series that require a ten book investment, and a spreadsheet of characters.
Is good. You read now.
Emily
Official review:

ElmoOnFire.gif

Look, it's got:
an angsty paladin who smells like gingerbread (for plausible reasons) and knits socks
a sensible thirtysomething perfumer with anxiety and a small animal filling the role of a cat
pining
political intrigue
banter
and yes, the occasional severed head

and it's FLUFFY, dammit

(there is a small percentage of author-typical horror, ask me if you need details; I'm pretty sure it's skippable if you really need to)
Cynthia Cyan
Not your usual romance

Just what it says on the tin. Romances tend to be lighter on the severed heads, walking corpses, dead gods and berserkers. On the other hand, its got a hero that smells like gingerbread, an heroine who can take care of things and happily ever after, at least for now.
This will make you laugh out, and stay up WAY too late to finish. You really can't ask more from a book than that.
Sam Worby
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I usually enjoy T Kingfisher, but I just didn’t care about these characters. Too humble, too hesitant, too broken and too elaborately conscious of their own unworthiness. But snark and bitter humour fully functional. They felt implausible and I kept getting bounced out of the story. And the plot was all over the place, as it tried to be a romance, detective story, thriller/dark fantasy. Sigh. I really wanted to like this.
Okcrow
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What reading a truly good author feels like.

Thank you Ms Kingfisher for this surprise. I enjoyed it immensely but am still waiting for the next swordheart :-). If you are not familiar with T. Kingfisher, well you should do something about it if you like somewhat dark romantic fantasy that use adult language on occasion. I can say no more except that I will continue to spend actual money on these fantasies as soon as they are written.
Jonathan Szot
Terribly Good

This is going to be one of those stories I come back to for comfort reading. It is so good, it is almost upsetting. Do you want peoples engaged in mutual pining with neither certain of the other’s affections? Do you want a non-binary character treated with respect, their pronouns always respected? How about themes of found family and people overcoming trauma? It is so good. Read it. You won’t regret it.
compiledwrong
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joyous and funny & corpse golems

Laughing helplessly half the time, crying with jealousy over their wholesome relationship half of the remaining time. If this were a physical book I would feel bad about highlighting basically the whole thing but it's an ebook so no one can stop me bwa ha ha.
Ash
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how Vernon makes this world full absurdly human flawed delightful characters. I loved Grace and her paladin so very much, and getting a bit more Zale and a whole lot more Temple of the White Rat was amazing.
Doctor Science
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, really. It's mostly a romance, only partly a Pratchettian fantasy--and I generally prefer the latter. Amusing, fairly predictable (I saw a number of the plot twists coming), with engaging characters who are nice to be around.
Mikhail
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let's see... book comes out today, I then promptly read the whole thing until finally finishing it at half past two.

It is really really really good. Ostensibly it's a romance, but honestly it's got lots of comedy elements, strong fantasy parts, even a spot of police procedural and horror.
T. Kingfisher is the vaguely absurd pen-name of Ursula Vernon. In another life, she writes children's books and weird comics, and has won the Hugo, Sequoyah, and Ursa Major awards, as well as a half-dozen Junior Library Guild selections.

This is the name she uses when writing things for grown-ups.

When she is not writing, she is probably out in the garden, trying to make eye contact with
“All women are beautiful,” said Istvhan, dismissing this. “It is the job of their lovers to make them feel that way if they do not already.” 1 likes
“I fear that I am not the best possible person for this, but I am the best possible person available at this time, which is much the same thing.” 0 likes