Start by marking “The Dark That Dwells” as Want to Read:
The Dark That Dwells

The Dark That Dwells

An immersive new space opera featuring an unforgettable ensemble cast, set in a sci-fi world with a fantasy twist.

In this evocative science fiction series, four strangers are swept up in a gripping adventure of thrilling battles, ravenous creatures, and the return of forbidden magic.

Ranger.

Warrior.

Tyrant.

Arcanist.

As their paths interweave in love and hate, redemption and r
Published July 10th 2020 by Matt Digman and Ryan Roddy

To ask other readers questions about The Dark That Dwells, please sign up.
Ryan Roddy Hi! There is some graphic violence, a smattering of curse words (no f-bombs if that helps), one sexually suggestive scene without anything above PG-13…moreHi! There is some graphic violence, a smattering of curse words (no f-bombs if that helps), one sexually suggestive scene without anything above PG-13, some alcohol drinking but nothing to excess, no substance use/abuse, and no references to or depictions of sexual assault/rape, etc. Hope this helps! =)(less)

Start your review of The Dark That Dwells
Lezlie with The Nerdy Narrative
The Dark That Dwells is the first of 5 books in this epic sci fi series.

After reading the first book, I know enough to know it belongs on my shelf with other sci fi greats such as The Expanse, Red Rising and Star Wars. From the reviews and marketing information I read before picking this one up, I had a gut feeling I was going to love it and would want the second book in my hands and that feeling turned out to be true.

We have 4 main characters, each with their own plotlines. These plotlines cros
MissBecka Gee
This starts off with lots of action, but not a lot of information.
Since I was left to fill in the blanks with my imagination for a while, I started comparing it to things I had previously encountered.
The plot did start to fill itself in and completely come together eventually, but I still ended up finding comparisons to previous work...in a good way.
If you threw the original Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones, Ready Player One, Firefly, and the Matrix into a bowl and then sprinkled it with some o
DarkBetweenPages
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark That Dwells: An exciting, action packed Space Opera that is coming July 10, 2020! Mark your calendars.

Genre: Adult | Science Fiction | Space Opera | Fantasy

4 out of 5 stars!

The Dark That Dwells is such a fascinating world. An action packed story filled with so many wonderful characters that were executed perfectly. I’m finding it hard to decide which are my favourites I may just need to come to terms and realize I enjoyed them all in their own way. Although I feel the most interesting c
Connor Bachmann
Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
I don't usually write out my reviews for books, but being that this was a relatively new book by two promising authors I figured it would be worth it. I also won't have any rigid format for this review. I'll just point out things that I found notable and worth mentioning.

For starters, I'll briefly say that in my personal scoring 3 stars is a decent-good score. I know 5 stars are given out like candy on this platform, but that's just not me (further breakdowns in my bio).

Moving on, I want to say
Kayla (krakentoagoodbook)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Somewhat of a buddy read with Nichi (I_ReadPastMyBedtime) and Scott (Book Invasion).

This turned out to be not quite what I expected, but I had a good time with it! On a side note, when the title is mentioned in the narrative, IT WAS SO COOL.

The good: This had a bunch of really cool ideas. It's mostly sci-fi, but there's some elements of fantasy (a great blend really). The way in which the fantasy elements are present are really neat. There's a ton of action! For the most
Daniele Kasper
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was a lot. I am definitely going to reread it because there was so much that happened and in trying to read the book in time for today’s feature I felt like I didn’t take the time it needed or deserved to really contemplate the storyline.

The first chapter introduces two characters, Sidna and Ronin. I actually really liked Ronin in just those few short pages and hoped he was the MC. Then, bam, they kill Ronin off at the end of the chapter (thanks for that immediate shock to the sy
Ryan Creasey
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was truly an epic read. I didn't quite realize what all was entailed in this story when I began, but it was a delight throughout the entire book. There are quite a few stories intertwined here, and the authors have done a marvelous job of showing the story rather than explaining it for hours. Right off the bat I was thrown into the action and everything fit into place right as questions came about or as it was necessary.

I can't get over how quick it was for me to start caring about the char
Scott - Book Invasion
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Full Review here -https://youtu.be/kwCKigdYNPs

This was a really fun and action-packed Sci-fi that held such a well developed world. There were so many great elements: action sequences, the space travel, the villain, and the weapons, and the shape-shifting berserker alien!
Matthew
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark That Dwells” is the first book in a sci-fi/fantasy space opera series, and serves as a debut for husband and wife author duo, Matt Digman and Ryan Roddy.

Skillfully navigating through four different points-of-view, Matt and Ryan have created a unique, original, fully-realized world and right from the prologue, you’re completely immersed in it. Each of our four main characters are compelling, with fully fleshed out backstories, and you become fully invested in each of them quite quickly.
Mark Blum
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The 4 main characters come with so much depth. You're hooked on them right away, but then the layers slowly build. They have flaws so you can connect with them, but then they do epic things that make you want to be them. I couldn't decide which side I was on the whole way. The good and the evil are equally tantalizing. The names can be tough to track at times, but hang in there...it's worth it. There are 4 or 5 moments throughout the book that give you chills and make you want to run out and do ...more
Mikaela Mae
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome story! This is actually my first time reading an adult science fiction/fantasy novel (I normally read YA) but this story sounded too good to pass up, and it was!

This story was action packed with a fast-paced plot that was full of surprises (in a good way!), but I think I loved the characters the most. I saw some other reviewers mention Tieger as their possible favorite (totally get it).... but I'm so torn. I loved them all. Maybe Fall is my favorite? I love his fighting style and
Paul
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. The story is deep and told from multiple viewpoints. The main characters each have their own full story, and each of the stories all fit together in really interesting ways. In the beginning, they’re all apart but then they come together. But it isn’t that simple, really, as everyone doesn’t just agree; they have their own motivations. Lots of action. Deep where it needs to be. Looking forward to more books in this series.
Ashley
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read! The characters and their storylines are engaging.
RocketCity Reads
Incredible world building. Compelling characters. Thrilling plot. Very well done.
Wendy
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark that Dwells is the perfect mix of sci fi and fantasy.

Fall Arden is a ranger. He has taken a job as guide for the Morning Rain, a space ship. Hermes, a shape-shifting AI, has been his friend and companion since Fall was a child.
Ban Morgan, who made a serious mistake and is now trying to make up for it as a bonded Marine. Becks, the woman who loves Ban, is also a marine.
Sarin Orin is an arcanist, and not a particularly nice person. She is after a treasure and will do anything it takes t
Dani
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is a great, interesting space opera mixed with some magic! It had an ensemble of characters but it was easy to keep track due to the different voices each had, and the use of symbols for switching POV. Instead of *** they used a fox (yay!) and some other symbols so you had a mental note of who to think about. I thought it was really cleaver! I just wished Ban was the fox symbol (even though Fall had a reason he was a fox) for obvious anime "Seven Deadly Sins" reasons. :P

But all in all, the
Kasumi Overall
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The authors intertwined scifi and fantasy exceptionally well. The elaborate details of not just of the differing worlds, but the different space vessels really helped the reader imagine what space and space travel is like in the book.
The different POVs were excuted well since the reader could easily distinguish which view they were reading with the character symbols.
The character design and stories for all four characters were so engaging that after a shift in POV I would read chapter after ch
Vigasia
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn not finish this book, but netgalley requires rating, so I give it 2,5 stars.

I'm not going to rate this book, becuase I didn't finish it. I am about 150 pages through but I am going to get a break. I think that the main problem for me was too long chapters, that with a few PoV's was confusing, because I could forget what happened with the other characters. Also none of the protagonist really caught my attention. I think that it was just not a time for me to start such a novel, I may got ba
Brandon
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting intersection of science fiction and fantasy. I do not recall ever having read something quite like it. A universe where means of faster than light travel and battling with melee weapons coexist...

I found this to be pretty enjoyable, there wasn't a whole lot of character growth and their interpersonal relationships were more hinted at than revealed but if you can sift your way through multiple POV's it was a fun ride along the way.

Overall, I don't think I would put it at the t
Lori Gell
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dark That Dwells was captivating! It was beautifully written, and the detailed descriptions of the characters and the exotic worlds they traveled to, made me feel like I was actually there with them. I particularly loved the back stories of the 4 main characters that allowed me a glimpse into their lives and how the darkness that dwelled within each of them shaped their beliefs, actions, and destinies. I can’t wait for the next book!!!
Kaci DeJarnette
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really engaging read, with an interesting story. The worlds are fantastically described. The characters are well-rounded and complicated. I had no idea how the story was going to end. The action descriptions were fun and very anatomic, which I enjoyed, as a medical student. I am looking forward to the next book!
Sharon
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading anything from either of these two authors. The world and character building are done very well. It’s told from different points of view and has a lot going on. From the beginning of the book the action starts, and it never stops.

Nicole Bannister
I Enjoyed everything about this book there was nothing I didn't like about the book. I Like the setting,the writing style,the plot,the plot twists and the characters in the book were amazing.I would reread this again. ...more
MarlaCrites
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While this is not my normal go to genre, I loved every page. It was packed full of action with just the right amount of...romance is too strong a word..but you could feel the chemistry between the characters. Rooting for Fall and Olivia !
Pat Eroh
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story that grabbed me from the beginning and kept me glued to the pages. Awesome characters and an intense storyline. I highly recommend this book.

Alexander Tas
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Read this and other Science Fiction/Fantasy reviews at The Quill to Live

When I look for new releases to read, I generally try to leave my comfort zone. I tend to stay away from authors I already know, or have heard about, and look for debuts. Even if just a single part of the description engages me, I usually put it up for consideration. On top of that, I usually try to find something that, to me, might explore something within the real world. Rarely do I read for an escapist story. I chose this
Bonny Niswonger
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review. I could not get into it.
Linde
I did not really like this book. I could not connect with the characters for some reason. I also did not get the different POV's. I never knew from who is talking, and I could not tell by the writing style. I also was not invested in the storyline as much. I skimmed over much of the plot, as I could not care about anything. It can just be me and me not liking sci-fi a lot; However, I think I need to read it again in a different point in time. Probably when it's published I will try and pick it u ...more
Reid Edwards
I struggled to even complete 10% of this book - I wasn't sure the relationship between the characters, it seemed to jump between viewpoints too rapidly, not leaving the reader time to get hooked, and I couldn't tell if the book meant to be SF or Fantasy. The blending of the two can work, but has to be really pulled off well, and this story failed to hit that mark for me. The word choice and grammar was good, but this isn't one that I'll be picking up again. ...more
Tina
I read this on my Kindle (hence the percentages).

I DNF one out of maybe one hundred books and unfortunately, this was one of them. I want to say right off the bat that I think it’s more me than the book, but I’m going to explain why I stopped at 45% because I think that’s fair to do rather than just a DNF and a star rating.

The novel is rife with description and it’s clear the world-building was a major focus of the novel. There is a really cool aesthetic mix between classic fantasy and futuris

• Breach of Peace (The Lawful Times, #0.1)
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • Crispin's Day: The Glory of Agincourt
  • The Silence
  • Beauty and the Beast: A Discover Graphics Fairy Tale
  • The First Emma
  • Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • The Best of Friends
  • Frank Vaughn Killed by his Mom
  • Gone to Darkness (Sydney Rose Parnell, #4)
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • The Brotherhood
  • Chasing Melody
  • 55 slightly sinister stories
  • The Rule of All (The Rule of One, #3)
See top shelves…
Matt is exactly one half the creative force behind the epic fantasy space opera novel, The Dark That Dwells.

Born and raised in Arkansas, he spent his free time studying Star Wars technical manuals, searching for his next favorite RPG, and watching his Star Trek: TNG VHS tapes until they fell apart. Basically, he was nerdy when nerdy wasn’t cool.

He currently works as a pediatric emergency medicine

News & Interviews