Start by marking “Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)” as Want to Read:
Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)

Bay of the Dead

(Torchwood #11)

When the city sleeps, the dead start to walk...

Something has sealed off Cardiff, and living corpses are stalking the streets, leaving a trail of half-eaten bodies. Animals are butchered. A young couple in their car never reach their home. A stolen yacht is brought back to shore, carrying only human remains. And a couple of girls heading back from the pub watch the mysterio
Published June 1st 2009 by BBC Books (first published May 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bay of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bay of the Dead

Sarah Theis
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Torchwood and zombies, what's not to love!

It's grim and gross and gritty, everything a good zombie book should be. But of course, there's more going on that meets the eye and it's up to the members of Torchwood, led by the handsome and daring Captain Jack Harkness to make sense of it all.
The ending is interesting, haunting and gruesome.
This is such a great book, from the writing style, to the all the details, to the actual story itself 💖📖
Stonemagpie
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Short and fast-paced. Jack, Ianto, Gwen, Rhys and PC Andy all shine here.
Ryan
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't think it's ever going to be possible to explain how much I love all things Torchwood. There is just something so addictive about the show, especially Captain Jack. I'm not sure what it is, but I can never get enough of it. Last year I discovered the books, and since I don't like to order online I've had to get them as I find them. This is only the second one I've read but I can't wait until I discover the rest of them, at least 12 more to go. All I know is I'm a Torchwood addict.

Now that
Jim C
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a book based on the television series. Zombies are popular today and now they are part of this universe. The Torchwood team battle a horde of zombies that appear suddenly in Cardiff.

This is your typical monster of the week episode that doesn't affect the overall story arc. The author understands the characters and he portrays them perfectly. Their personalities and banter are on full display here. The author even provided minor scenes for PC Andy and for my money they were the highlight
Bloodsong
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
i don't like the whole 'zombie apocalypse' thing, and this is, indeed, the 'torchwood zombie episode(book).' still, it had it's own torchwood twist, and it was very well done.

i didn't enjoy it as much as the prior novels, however. it could have been the zombies... it could have been that there wasn't much big action for the main characters; there was a lot of wo/man on the street storyline. which could make it humanizing and engaging... or boring, depending on how you like that.

so, bottom lin
Susanne
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torchwood
Definitely my favorite Torchwood book so far! All the characters had good roles - including PC Andy, there's mucho tension and terror (Me to Book: "No, don't eat the pregnant woman!"), plus a solid plot.

The book stands alone, without relying on the history of the show, so if you don't know that much about Torchwood, I think you'd still "get" it.

Avoid if you can't handle zombies, otherwise enjoy!
Daphne
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook, quest
Pretty darn good mash up of zombies and Torchwood. Morris managed to make it work, and be believable in fitting with how the Torchwood world works. He also captured the characters well. I enjoyed it enough to read it all in one sitting, and take a look at the other offerings by this author. So, job well done!
Liz
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerdshelf
A nice quick read. And I mean who doesn't enjoy a little Zombie Apocalypse every once in a while
Tara Horak
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Torchwood team have seen a lot of strange things, but when zombies swarm Cardiff, Captain Jack Harkness, Gwen Cooper and Ianto Jones feel as though they are living in a bad horror film. With Cardiff mysteriously cut off from the rest of the world, Torchwood and the residents of the bay city are on their own. Can Torchwood determine the source of their undead problem, and, more importantly, can they stop it?

Of all the Torchwood tie-in novels I have read (I think I have read all but three of t
Rene H.
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Lizabeth Tucker
This is a Torchwood book, set after we have lost Tosh and Owen, but before Children of Earth.

Cardiff is surrounded by a mysterious fog that prevents people from passing through it to either side. Then the attacks begin. There are zombies in Cardiff. Yeah, zombies. Seriously, those dead creatures who have an appetite for eating flesh.

The story isn't as bad as you might expect. The team is separated, with Gwen and Rhys trying to make their way to safety, but instead finding themselves cut off from
Meagan
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Michelle
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was my second exposure to zombies in books. And I just gotta say-I don't like reading zombie stories! For that reason alone, I couldn't truly enjoy this book-even though it was decently structured and the characters were pretty well captured from what we've seen on the show. I just...zombies.
If you like zombie stories, you will probably like this. If you like Torchwood and zombies, you will probably like this. If you don't like zombies, well, you might like this if you can stomach the gore
Eden
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I confess... I probably shouldn't be penalizing Mr. Morris for not including the whole of the Torchwood team in his book since he probably was given set instructions on who could be included and who could not--BUT I really missed Tosh and Owen.

That said, I had trouble becoming invested in Bay of the Dead for other reasons. I hate being introduced to characters that we (as readers) know are "throwaways" most of all, and the whole beginning of the book is dedicated to these people. (Though to his
Chent Higson
Love me some zombies!

While there were the odd scenes where the language didn't flow, overall it was well written. However, it didn't seem to have much of a story-line, as if the author just wanted to highlight certain aspects of characters and have zombies.
I did like Rhys' involvement, particularly as it prevented much happening between Gwen and Jack. On the same strain, there was not enough Janto. Set between Tosh and Owen's deaths and Children of Earth, this would be the time when Jack and Ian
Lavender
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Several of my friends regularly watch/watched Dr Who and Torchwood. I managed to never get into Torchwood when it was on the air. I was familiar with the characters and concepts due to catching bits and pieces of the show or hearing friends discuss some point or other. I'm more of a reader than TV watcher, so I started reading this series as I was interested enough to see what it was all about. At first, I had assumed the novels would just retell the events from the TV show, but these are totall ...more
Wayland Smith
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Torchwood meets zombies... sort of. One of ongoing issues with the Dr. Who universe is that everything always comes down to aliens, no matter what. Personally, I prefer a world that allows for a bit more variety.

That said, it's an enjoyable read which does dip into zombie territory but in a way that makes sense in the Torchwood frame of reference, eventually.

Really, if you're a fan of Torchwood, read it, if not, skip it. It pretty much is that simple.

This is set after the loss of Tosh and Owen,
Rebecca Honeycutt
I don't expect much from these Torchwood novels, so when I say that this was the most boring Torchwood book I've read, that's really saying something. The book consists almost entirely of gory descriptions of zombies, and scenes in which people (half of them NOT main Torchwood characters) fight zombies.

But it was worth reading for this exchange:
"Ianto: She isn't human?
Jack: She never was. In fact, she was never anything. She's a construct. She's made of some kind of alien substance which our e
Bri
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this one a lot more than Risk Assessment, but I still think it could have been better. There was a bit too much focus on original characters and that's not really something I'm looking for in a tie-in novel. Other than that, I felt the characterizations of the usual Torchwood characters were spot on. I enjoyed seeing more of the interaction between Gwen/Rhys and the banter between Jack/Ianto read very true to their characters. I also enjoyed the story itself and felt like it was an inter ...more
Jane Mercer
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd just tried to read a Hammer tale called Vampire Circus by Mark Morris and I found I couldn't get into it. So I put it in to the stack to go back and picked up the Torchwood book. Which I read through non-stop in a couple of hours, I was startled to find it the same author.
Fast paced a little gory with excellent characterizations of the remaining Torchwood team, Jack, Ianto, Gwen and Rhys (I can never remember if he's officially one of the team but he's in enough of them)
Zombies invade Cardif
Maria
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this was my favourite Torchwood book so far. As a rarity, it was well written and had a smooth plot that actually made sense! Since the previous couple of Torchwood book series' have been so disappointing, I was shocked to be sucked into the horror, fear and brilliance of this incredible book.

One niggly, fangirlish bit though. Too many references of Jack and Ianto as only 'friends'. No mention of their actual realtionship whatsoever.
Clodagh
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I'm not the world's biggest fan of zombies. But I loved badarse Gwen and Ianto. That was awesome. And Ianto delivered a baby! *squeals at cuteness* What annoyed me though was that Ianto was referred to as Jack's "friend". Come on, we've all seen the show! Since when are they "friends"?
Sato
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book because I love Torchwood and zombie stories. It was okay overall, and I was glad to see Rhys and Andy playing quite active roles. But I thought the story was a bit dull to me, as too many sections were devoted to typical fighting-and-running-away-from-zombies description. I had expected more rapid evolution.
Stephen Osborne
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
At first I thought, well, this is just your typical zombie movie, just with Torchwood and a little bit of John Carpenter's The Fog thrown in. Not very original. But reading on, it does get the Torchwood twist. What made this an enjoyable read for me though was the added attention to PC Andy and Rhys, often forgotten or relegated to minor roles in the books, and some very great Gwen scenes.
Nicholas Whyte
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: torchwood, doctor, who, 2012, 1205
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1933433.html[return][return][return]A Torchwood novel where Cardiff is assailed by a zombie invasion and Jack, Gwen, Ianto, Rhys and Policeman Andy have to sort it out. Entertaining enough, with some decently tense horror passages, but no big surprises.
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: torchwood
I'm not a big fan of the zombie genre, and the first third of this book revels in cliches and bog-standard undead action -- in other words: yawn. But the novel eventually takes off with its own unique style, especially with Gwen & Rhys, and PC Andy. I only wish it was consistently wonderful from start-to-finish, rather than needing time to warm up.
Steph
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Not only did we see Gwen, Jack and Ianto deal with the zombies we saw it from the point of view of others and how they tried to survive it.
I really enjoyed the descriptions of the zombies and the way the zombies were killing people was grafic and really well written.
If you like the other torchwood books, or just love zombie stories I would reccomend this book.
Xan
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cereal, sigh-fy, zombies
Seriously, Zombies, but Torchwood doesn't believe in Zombies... which doesn't stop them from killing an awful lot of people in typical B-Grade movie style. Sadly I think this was one of the worst Torchwood books to date.
Eri
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: torchwood
Beware: out of all creatures I totally DO NOT like zombies. No no no. I do not like them.

So author tried, and another alien caused all the zombie apocalypse at Cardiff, and there were even some funny lines, but I just can't be happy with this book. Because zombies.
  • Into the Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Risk Assessment (Torchwood, #13)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • The Undertaker's Gift (Torchwood, #14)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Mark Morris became a full-time writer in 1988 on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme, and a year later saw the release of his first novel, Toady. He has since published a further sixteen novels, among which are Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Another Life (Torchwood, #1)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into the Silence (Torchwood, #10)