Start by marking “Sea of Kings” as Want to Read:
Sea of Kings

Sea of Kings

Thirteen-year-old Prince Noa has hated the ocean since the day it caused his mother's death. But staying away from the sea isn't easy on his tropical island home where he's stuck trying to keep up with his dim-witted and overconfident younger brother Dagan--the brawn to Noa's brains. When a vengeful pirate lays siege to their home, Noa and Dagan narrowly escape with their ...more
Expected publication: April 27th 2021 by Jolly Fish Press (first published December 1st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Sea of Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea of Kings

Start your review of Sea of Kings
Melissa Hope
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sea of Kings has changed my life, and I may be a little biased, but it's one of my favorite books of all time. I hope you'll love it too!
Emma Pak
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish, Sea of Kings was incredible! As a middle school teacher for the last five years, I can say with confidence that this is a story that boys and girls will love.

Here are some of my favourite parts of this book:

- The story: I absolutely loved the gripping story. The concept and execution was incredibly engaging. This is the type of epic adventure I always looked for as a child and I cannot wait to share it with my own children.
- The characters: the banter between the character
Andrea Wang
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
There's never a dull moment in SEA OF KINGS, starting from when heir-to-the-throne Noa finds a skull in the first chapter to the thrilling teaser in the epilogue. I seriously could hear the "dun-dun-DUNNN!" sound effect in my head! This fast-paced, action-packed, humor-filled MG quest story has everything a kid could want--a magical map, a dim-witted brother (LOL), fantastical creatures, and plenty of secrets and intrigue. Although there are few girls among the cast, they are fierce and that's a ...more
Jessie Weaver
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Prince Noa’s home is attacked by pirates, he must rely on a magical map, his sharp wits, and a ragtag crew of boys to save his kingdom. Packed to the brim with adventure, diverse settings, and Hope’s signature quirky humor, Sea of Kings is a swashbuckling middle grade adventure perfect for fans of Pirates of the Caribbean and The False Prince.

Sea of Kings maintains a fast pace throughout. One thing I loved was that, even in the quieter moments, something is always brewing beneath the surfa
Jolie Taylor
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want an epic adventure, you have found the right book! I loved reading Sea of Kings. I had the chance to beta read it in the earlier stages, and it was so much fun.
Noa and Dagan’s brotherly interactions are relatable, funny, and endearing.
The brothers team up with a group of kids and take on the high seas to follow a magical map, after a pirate takes over their kingdom. On their journey they discover magical creatures, danger, and the adventure of a lifetime.
I loved reading this book, an
Caity
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really gripping adventure story. I appreciated that it was fast paced but also gave a good amount of exposition and history as the mystery unfolded. You got a good overall sense of the history of the islands and enough more specific details to satisfy your curiosity without disrupting the narrative flow. I also really enjoyed the characters. The princes’ relationship was well done and I enjoyed that their group of friends kind of had a lost boys dynamic and brought a great balance of c ...more
Fantasy Book Utopia
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First off, this book surprised me a great deal. I don’t read middle grade as much as I’d like anymore and that dampened my excitement for this book. I began reading it though and I was swept off of my feet. I found myself falling in love witch characters I thought I wouldn’t. Noa was an amazing lead and you can see amazing character growth with him throughout the book.
This book really stood out to me with its island and pirate atmosphere. It gave me some vibes that reminded me of The Unwanteds
Chad Lucas
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sea of Kings is a swashbuckling adventure with an ocean of depth and heart. Readers will be drawn in by the swift-moving plot and well-crafted world, but what really hits home is the relatable family drama at the heart of the story. Noa and Dagan’s sibling rivalry feels authentic and sweet, and Noa’s complicated feelings toward his father, his grief, and his role in the family dynasty add an emotional punch to the action. Sea of Kings will appeal to readers of Peter and the Starcatchers and othe ...more
Alysa
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Prince Noa might be next in line to rule his Island kingdom, but he'd rather spend his days in the library reading. When the Island comes under attack, Noa has no choice but to set out on the sea with his brother and a band of other kids (some friends, and some foes) to get help from neighboring Island kingdoms. With a magical map to guide them, it should be a straightforward task.
If only the map made any sense, and if their nemesis wasn't a diabolic one-eyed pirate!
Now Noa must confront his fe
Jessica Froberg
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the adventure I went on in this book!

We start off with the two main characters, Noa and Dagan, brothers and princes of their island. After danger comes to their island, they gather together a group of kids to sail a boat to save their island, and possibly their entire world. Pirates, hidden ocean dangers, maps, and secret islands dot their travels to save their home and each other.

One of the biggest things that shine in the Sea of Kings is the brother relationship. I loved the
Kate
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Hope’s SEA OF KINGS is a high-seas adventure with heart and humor. When his island home is attacked, Noa must leave the comfort of his beloved books and head seaward to save his family’s kingdom. There’s a map to be deciphered, a brother to rescue, and ultimately a Death King to battle. The magic of the sea is on every page – a conch shell that allows you to listen in on faraway conversations, and glowing jellyfish as undersea lanterns, to name a few. Throughout, there is a message of fo ...more
Kathie
Apr 08, 2020

• An Occasionally Happy Family
  • You and Me at the End of the World
  • The Last Windwitch
  • The Tower of Nero (The Trials of Apollo, #5)
  • The Secrets of Star Whales
  • Where It All Lands
  • The Hollow Inside
  • Glitter Gets Everywhere
  • City of Shattered Light
  • The Nightmare Thief (The Nightmare Thief, #1)
  • Before We Were Blue