Start by marking “The Unblessed Child (The Blessed Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unblessed Child (The Blessed Chronicles #1)

The Unblessed Child

(The Blessed Chronicles #1)

There are two types of people in The New Realm, those who are blessed by the gods of the four elements, and those who are not. Born into this world driven by magical elements and the power of the ones who wield it, Aardriyah has always been of no importance to anyone of importance.

It doesn't help that on the broken island nations of Veros, Aardriyah has been tormented for
Published February 29th 2020 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Unblessed Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unblessed Child

Start your review of The Unblessed Child (The Blessed Chronicles #1)
Brenda
Aardriyah had always been teased and bullied for her fire red hair in an area of Veros that was filled with the water blessed. She believed herself to be unblessed, while her older brother Chastion had been taken into the royal family and was now Prince Chastion far removed from the brother she remembered. Her little sister Sonas was water blessed, passing all her tests and trials with ease. With Chastion and Sonas so well respected it was no wonder Aardriyah thought little of herself. With the ...more
Yogaa Lakshmi
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just download the book and read it with the help of an e-reader, and I have to say, THIS BOOK WAS REALLY AMAZING!!! I love the story, the world building and above all I love Aardriyah! Aardriyah is exactly the kind of person who deserves to be the protagonist of story. Thank goodness it's a series and not a stand-alone, 'cause I just want more and more stories of Aardriyah. In short, this book is a beautifully written adventurous, emotional, intriguing, nostalgic, thrilling YA (though people ...more
Hulda
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Unblessed Child was a fast-paced, easy to read fantasy. If you enjoy YA fantasy and elemental magic, then this book could be a fun read for you. Oh and it has some LGBTQ representation in some minor characters too.

The story is mainly told through the viewpoint of Aardriyah, a 14 year old girl. She is brought up being one of only few people in town who has no magical gifts. For that she is shunned and humiliated, for her society is built upon the gifts of elemental magic. Those who are water
Lilly
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I DNF this book, but I read most of it.

The plot is okay (though very cliché within YA literature), but in my case there are two major problems with this novel: the main character and the writing.

I really sympathised with the main character at the beginning, because she is a very solitaire and tormented girl. She's had to endure a lot of things due to the fact that she lives in the Water kingdom and she is not only unblessed, but also everything that Water people despise. She has red hair,
Kylie
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
e Unblessed child is an interesting and fascinating new fantasy series by R.J Kaldanis

Aardriyah is nothing special she is the middle child in a now broken family. Her mum seeks wealth and richers, however, her father wants to keep them grounded. This stems from the fact that her older brother was selected by the Queens to be an heir to the throne and as such he left to live with them. Thus leaving her with her dad and younger sister is their little house.

She has always been looked down on by the
Roni
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Review given on behalf of the publisher from Netgalley*

Underwhelming 1.5 Stars

This story follows Aardriyah an unblessed teen who struggles to fit into a world that despises her. The plot was pretty cliché and followed a predictable path. Aardriyah has faced a lot of diversity throughout her life but is still very kind and sweet despite being ignorant. I liked that she was very family-oriented and just wants the best for those around her. On the whole- I didnt appreciate her attitude, she comes

Poppy Cain
The Unblessed Child is a unique and new take on fantasy as we know it. Perfect for fans of Avatar the Last Airbender or Three Dark Crowns, this story looks into the questions often questioned in fiction. What is family? And how do the 'unblessed' cope in a world filled with those who can harness the magic in the world and themselves.

Although R J Kaldanis' writing leans towards what might be more enjoyed by a younger audience, such as the middle-grade range, as a YA reader and young adult myself,
Fernanda Granzotto
🦊

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book for an honest review, all opinions are my own*

I did not hate this book because it's not a bad book, it was just not a book for me. There is nothing extremely bad in this book, the story is interesting enough that intrigues you to continue reading, the magic system is basically an avatar because of the divisions of people by elements, there is no romance which makes the story much rawer and real almost as
Tria Christine
Aardriyah has grown up bullied and treated like a second class citizen in a works divided in 2: The Blessed and the unblessed. The Blessed have power over the four elements : earth, fire, air, water; while Aardriyah does not. This, however, does not stop her from wanting more out of life and does she ever get it. During her adventure she learns more about herself and the world around her than she believed possible.

This story was well written with a great plot and beautiful world, but I found it
Jessica  (Ihaveseenthedragons)
I received a digital copy of this book via Netgalley. This does not influence my opinion of this book in any way.

The concept for this story is really interesting. In a world full of people with (elemental) magic, main character Aardriyah is unblessed and goes through life without it. She tries to make the best out of her daily life but struggles because of prejudgements and the general idea that unblessed are not chosen by the Goddess and therefore beneath those with magic. In order to keep her
Peter Kaldanis
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this, was captivated from start to finish. Interesting take on conventional magic in fantasy novels with a very lived in feeling world with great locations.

The fight scene about 2/3rds of the way through the book was one of my favourite parts of the book, along with the Revelations towards the end of the book.

Not the kind of book I normally read but for was well worth it, looking forward to the next ones.
Jessica Milverton
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Unblessed Child has the potential to be a good book, the story is captivating and different to a lot of fantasy I have read recently and I liked a lot of the characters.

Although the writing has a tendency to be mess, and sometimes doesnt make sense, with guidance and advice for the author on how to change this it would be a great book.

I look forward to future work from this Kaldanis and hope she continues to progress and grows into a good author I know she can be!
Merricat Alexander
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

The concept behind this was fascinating from beginning to end. I also loved how the Pronunciation of the characters names was included in the very beginning. I am a sucker for a red headed outcast heroine and Aardriyah was no exception. I loved so many things about this book and will shout from the rooftops to get everyone I know to read it.
Tara Johnson - Hall
Amazing story, the characters draw you into their lives. Couldnt put it down. ...more
Christie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story.
Charissa Out
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start of an exciting journey for our lonely Unblessed Aardriyah. In a world full of 'Blessed', who have power over the elements, poor Riyah has been told she isn't good enough her whole life, but now will be her time to shine.
Looking forward to more in this series!
R.J. Kaldanis
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I really hope you enjoyed my debut novel and are ready for the next book within the series, The Fire Blessed Fugitive.
Kaity
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly satisfying read! Once I started it, it was a matter of just 36 hours before I completed it.

My favorite parts about this book:
1) Phenomenal characterization: All of the characters came off as super vibrant, especially Rachida and Sonas. I love how robust Aardriyah's inner monologue is.
2) Fun details: I loved how much detail went into describing the characters' clothing and the settings. I was easily able to get enthralled with the story due to these details.
3) Captivating magic system:
Mar 03, 2020
Mar 05, 2020

• Mageborn
  • Before the Second Show
  • In Other Words (Boothbay Harbor Series, #1)
  • The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Tanuja Ramachandran: Hunter-Seeker
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers, #1)
  • The Album
  • El día que dejó de nevar en Alaska
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • The Ghosts of Sherwood
  • Plant Lady Embroidery: 300 Botanical Embroidery Motifs & Designs to Stitch
  • For Whom the Book Tolls (An Antique Bookshop Mystery #1)
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
R J Kaldanis is an old soul at heart and enjoys nothing more than finding hidden places around Victoria, with her two border collies and husband keenly behind.

Growing up in North Queensland, Australia, R J struggled a lot with identity and forever felt out of place. It wasn't until she started travelling that she began to feel the magic the world had to offer and her place within it all. Most