Start by marking “Stepbrother With Benefits” as Want to Read:
Stepbrother With Benefits

Stepbrother With Benefits

(The Masons #2)

The first time I laid eyes on James Mason, the world stood still.

Unfortunately, the tether ball I’d just spiked didn’t, and when it ploughed into the back of my distracted head, I bit my tongue so hard I tasted blood.

I don't know why I was so dumbstruck. All he did was ride up on his skateboard and call my best friend’s name.

Perhaps it was his confidence that roused me. Or
Published February 3rd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Stepbrother With Benefits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepbrother With Benefits

Start your review of Stepbrother With Benefits
Book-Bosomed  blog
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Feeling like the third wheel at his own apartment where his sister and best friend have gotten together (see book #1 My Best Friend's Sister), James Mason has bought a house with issues almost as big as his family issues. And James’s family situation is only getting dicier when he temporarily moves into his dad’s house, still occupied by his step-sister.

Brie, 25, is a graduate student working on her MFA and trying to get published. She doesn’t want any distractions, but it’s hard to ignore the
Jenny Hobson
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't think there is a Hazel Kelly book I have not liked and this was no exception.
This is the 2nd in the series centered around a group of siblings Maddy, James and Maeve. This is James story.
James has been mesermised by his sisters best friend Brie since they were at school but has kept his feelings secret as she is also now his step sister. What he doesn't know is that Brie has also harboured feelings for him all this time too. The pair find themselves living together whilst their parents
Jolie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stepbrother with Benefits is book 2 in The Masons Series. I keep going back and forth if you can read this book as a standalone. In some sense, yes, you can. But if you want to understand the dynamics of James and Brie’s combined family, then I would highly recommend reading book one first. It explains the backstory to the series better than this book does.

I am going to throw up a trigger warning. A professor sexually assaults Brie in the middle of the book. It wasn’t rape but a combination of
Emma
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
stepbrother with benefits is the 2nd book in the series and follows James and Brie. now anyone who has read the 1st book will know that James is the brother of Maddy and best friend to Quinn. after Quinn and Maddy got together and Maddy officially moved in James thought it best to moved out and having done so and bought a fixer upper he needed somewhere to stay while the work was being done on his new home. That when he moved into his dad and stepmoms house and into his childhood bedroom while ...more
Silvia
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in The Masons series. The first was about Maddy & Quinn. This book is about James, Maddy’s older brother and Quinn’s best friend, and Brie.
Confession time! I am a sucker for a steamy step-sibling romance. I love the angst involved with falling for someone that’s forbidden. This book was a whole lot more than that!
Brie has had a crush since she was a young kid. She was his sister Maddy’s best friend. She was at their house often. James was a young teen trying to
Atlanta Whitlock
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Forbidden romances are the stories that I can’t help but love the most, so when Hazel Kelly writes one, she always manages to hit the right spots for what I look for in a book. This time was no different and being honest it was interesting seeing how this book played out. Back in the first book, I thought James was an interesting character, he seemed cocky, knew what he wanted and would always put his family first. Yet in this book you start to see how difficult he finds it that his best friend
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
James has just purchased a new home, but before he can move into his bachelor pad he has to have some mold treated and a little work done. So, with his home inhabitable his father offers up his home while he is on vacation. A few weeks back in the home he grew up in shouldn't be too bad... a nice peaceful little stay since he'll have the house to himself. Or will he?

His father never mentioned any additional house guests, but when he hears a commotion in the middle of the night, witnesses his
Roxy
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-erotica
Hazel never disappoints. Every one of her books is spiked with heat and a side of sweetness.
James has been crushing on bookworm Brie since they were in school together, and Brie has always had the feels for the oh-so-handsome James. But then their parents had to ruin it all by going and getting married! Now they are kind of, but not really, related.
The second book in The Masons series. Book one introduced us to the Masons, along with Quinn - best friend and roommate to James, and new lover of
Behind Closed Doors Book Review
Amount of sex 2 / 5
How explicit is the sex scenes 2 / 5
Story 4 / 5
Overall: 4 / 5

Stepbrother with Benefits is the second book in The Mason’s series written by author Hazel Kelly. Each book in the series focuses on a different couple and can be read as a standalone romance. If you’re like me and enjoy knowing all the backstories, I do recommend reading My Best Friend’s Sister, which is Maddy and Quinn’s story. Just know that it’s only a suggestion.

Stepbrother with Benefits tells the story of
JudyAnnLovesBooks
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a romance reading enthusiast the biggest compliment I can think to give an author is to tell them how much I loved their work. “Hazel, I.loved.this.book.so.so.very.much.” I knew from past experience that I would enjoy it, because to date, not one of your books has failed to impress me. But this book right here is so much more than a forbidden romance contemporary read. It’s a beautiful love story between two people who for so many reasons should not work. It’s those very differences that will ...more
Romance Novel Giveaways Lauren Seiberling
WOW! What a ride!

Okay, first of all, if you are a sensitive person, do not read this book. It deals with a pretty heavy issue that some people may be offended by.

Now that the PSA is done, this book is FANTASTIC! Sucked me in right from the beginning and didn't let me go.

I think what I like the best about Hazel's books, this one included, is the "voice" of the heroine; smart and yet funny in a sarcastic kind of way (totally speaks my language!)

I really felt for Brie; she had a rough ride through
Elle Draper
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More than just a romance!

Once again, I've been delighted by one of Hazel's books. This one was a particular gem. Tackling a subject (step-love) that seems taboo... but really shouldn't be.

All of the characters were well-rounded and actually had some personality. James was suitably gorgeous, loving, manly and supportive... while Brie was feisty yet delicate. I loved their banter and sarcasm... right up my alley!

I loved the romance between the Brie and James of course - but I also really enjoyed
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The second of the Mason family series. Here we meet only brother James. He and his stepsister Brie have secretly admired each other from afar.... when I say secretly of course everyone else in the family had noticed!!
Brie is a struggling writer who can’t seem to catch a break. Her self esteem is low and she feels like a bit of a misfit within her unconventional family. James is the lift she needs and when her world is turned upside down by a terrible and yet all too common event he is the
kk
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5
This was my first time reading a book by this author.
It started out great and I really liked tension and banter between Brie and James.
Unfortunately, half way through I started to get bored. The storyline just took a turn for the worse, shifting focus to too much drama. I probably wouldn’t mind it as much if all that drama was eventually solved, but everything just got swept under a rag.
I was frustrated with high school drama between Maddy and Brie, and immature and childish ways of Brie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this for an honest review!

It took me until about 40% of the way through before I could really get I to it! For any of you following the #metoo movement, this is one book you want to grab up. I won’t say more anymore of that matter for fear of giving it away! It also deals with broker relationships in for of family and friends. It also a love story that began ages ago!
I loved Brie and James, let’s not forget this author knows her Harry Potter and I enjoyed the fandom references all
Danielle Shaw
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I was given an Arc copy of this book and this is the review

I found the storyline interesting enough
Brie makes friends at a young age has a best friend who later becomes her step sister as
Brie mum marries her dad making her siblings Brie’s step siblings however we don’t get this part of the story we kinda just jump to the middle so we see Brie caught out trying to get into her mum and step dads house by her step brother James whom she has secretly crushes on for years
We learn from this about
Linda
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I love everything this author writes. Stepbrother with Benefits is no exception. Loved the characters. Brie is a sweetheart and I adored sexy, romantic James. When he decides to reveal his feelings to Brie he's met with some hesitation on her part. However, he doesn't let that deter him because he knows she has feelings for him too and he pursues her in the sexiest, most persistent, heart-full-of-love way. Great writing by Hazel Kelly in this warm-hearted sexy romance. Can't wait ...more
Bel
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this slow burn step-brother romance and was happy to see a different side to James after reading his sister Maddie's story. In getting to speak in his own POV you got to see a softer and more caring side to his personality. He always liked his step sister Brie, however when their parents got married, they burried their feelings until years later, when living under the same roof ignites all their old chemistry, they finally admit their mutual feelings for one another. However, keeping ...more
Netta Overhulser
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hazel did not disappoint with this book, I love her books and how she can engage you into their story from the first page and keep it until the end. This is the second book in this series, but you do not need to read book one in order to keep up in this one. I do love how Hazel was able to touch on the subject of sexual harassment without drawing it out or dwelling on it, and still showing the strength Brie gains. James and Brie have a past that has a lot of emotional turmoil in the family, and ...more
Poppy1102
Shelves: hazel-kelly
I've been a long time fan of Hazel's and always look forward to her books...they're always nice easy-to-read enjoyable books and this didn't disappoint!

James and Brie's story:
Step-siblings which could make this quite taboo however there is no ickiness in this book, there's just two people who belong together!

Both very likable characters, loved James humour, he's a happy-go-lucky lad and seriously dotes on her. Brie could do with a change in luck!

I voluntarily received an arc from the author
Sarah Gupta
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow loved this book! Loved James, how can you not. It odd one of my other favourite books of Hazel is roommate which is similar to this in regards to stepsister when they older.

I loved the Quinn and Maddy moments, you can’t miss these guys out of the book. I loved tension between Brie and James and the build up is amazing as always.

I am now looking forward to Maeve book, it should be a good story based on this one and the first one.

Hazel Kelly books are one of my auto click authors. If you not
Rebecca Ruth
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book. There are a few points of slow movement but I was invested in the story already and easily made it through those points. I enjoyed the first person switching between the 2 main characters. Brie and James seamed to be perfect for each other, they just had to figure that out for themselves. It may seam taboo but it’s a sweet relationship that they finally work through.

!!!Spoiler alert!!!
I will say there is a trigger in there and many may not read this because of that
Jill  Kirtley
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved James and Brie! I loved the storyline! And I love this standalone series! The Mason siblings are great and it’s James’ turn to find love, with his stepsister Brie. But how will their fractured family react?
There’s so much more to this book than a simple step sibling love story. It’s a very enjoyable, funny, sexy, angsty, and realistic read. It’s my new favourite HK book!I loved it and highly recommend it.
Lindsay
I'm a complete sucker for stepbrother books. So when I saw that Hazel Kelly had a new book out, and it was a stepbrother book, I was all over it.

I really loved the history between Brie and James. I loved all the little tidbits that were dropped about the crushes that were had, the history between them and when they first knew the liked each other.

I loved watching them fall in love, and I loved how all in James was. He was definitely the highlight of this book, how much he cared.
Colleen
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It's told with alternating first person between the two main characters. It's obvious how much they genuinely care about each other, but keeps tension about whether they will end up together. There were a few times near the beginning when it slowed while the main characters talked about each other rather than to each other, but after that the pace steadily rises. It was fun.
I reviewed this book in return for receiving a free copy.
Margery Baker
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great Kelly read!
You can enjoy this book even if you haven’t read the first book in the series. I did. James has been captivated by Brie for years, although she has recently become his stepsister. With the feeling being mutual, it is only a matter of time before the secret is out. Ms. Kelly cleverly works it out very cleverly, and you’ll definitely enjoy the entire story.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a good read. James is leaving his apartment because he is tired of being the third wheel. He ends up going back to his old family home. The problem is that his stepsister is Brie is staying there too. She has always liked him and as the book progresses he begins to realize he has felt the same. They then begin a romance. Of course some people end up having a problem but thankfully their closest friends accept them. Which allows them to have their happy ending.
Rosemary Lekman
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A definite page turner. James is so charming, funny, caring and loving. He is the perfect match for Brie. I couldn't stop reading, i wanted to know how their love story story turned out. I wasn't disappointed at all. I love how vivid Author Hazel describes. It makes me feel like i am seeing the characters in my mind's eye.
Lisa H
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They ended before they could begin.

Because their parents got married and they became steps. Brie has crushed on James for years.
James has firmly put her in a the steps box and is determined never to see her as anything else.

It’s funny, sweet, awkward and steamy all rolled into one great read.

Highly recommend.
Ann Gibbs
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed James and Brie's story. The chemistry between them is obvious to some but not to each other. James is a great guy, sweet, funny, and sexy. Brie is sweet, quiet, beautiful and sassy. The family drama plays an important part of their relationship but they work through it and get their HEA.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover help 5 28 Feb 09, 2020 10:33AM

• The Cruelest Stranger
  • Arranged: A Dark Mafia Romance
  • The Dare
  • Crimson: A Dark Mafia Romance (Colors of Crime, #4)
  • At Arm's Length (Love in the Suburbs, #2)
  • Married To My Enemy
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Rebel Soul
  • Heartbreaker
  • Unexpected Love
  • Babies & Promises (Breaking the Rules #2)
  • Illusion on Ice (Boys of Winter #7)
  • Rough Ride (Screaming Demons MC #2)
  • Rough Start (Screaming Demons MC #1)
  • Her Dominant Boss
  • Over Easy
  • Mr. Big Ego (Dirty South, #3)
Hazel Kelly is an Amazon bestselling author who writes sweet and steamy romance that will make you smile all over.

When she's not traveling the globe in search of cozy hammocks to write in, she enjoys tackling her tbr list with a nice big glass of anything will do. She lives in Dublin with a charming Irishman and their three-legged furbaby.

For updates (and warm fuzzies!) follow Hazel on:
Facebook

The Masons (2 books)
  • My Best Friend's Sister (The Masons #1)