Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Batman” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Batman

The Further Adventures of Batman

(The Further Adventures of Batman #1)

“Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I must wear a disguise that will strike terror into their hearts! I must be a creature of the night, like a . . . a . . . a bat!”
—Bruce Wayne

It began with those words fifty years ago, a crusade that would grow into a legend. Orphaned as a child, his parents murdered before his eyes, millionaire Bruce Wayne dedicated his life
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published June 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1989)

Dovile
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: keepers
This collection of 14 stories will have something for every kind of Batman fan, from those who prefer them dark and gothic to those who enjoyed the cheesy comics and TV series of the 60s and 70s:

1) 'Death of the Dreammaster' by Robert Sheckley (Bruce Wayne starts seeing his dead enemies alive and must uncover if they're real or not) - apart form a very shocking and gruesome first scene, this story is mostly OK, well written, but nothing exceptional.

2) 'Bats' by Henry Slesar (after Robin's death,
Brian Martinez
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this when I was younger and I remember a few of the stories making an impression on me. I recently bought a used copy to check it out again and it's been fun revisiting the material. The one that always stood out to me the most was the one written in screenplay form, which was an interesting choice and the first time I was exposed to that format of writing.
Fraser Burnett
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I first read this little chappy in 89. I would have been just turning seventeen, and an avid Batfan, especially post-Dark Knight/Miller/Moore period.

I remember being vastly unimpressed with the book back then, but for two of the tales. I also remember a little brouhaha over the graphic content of the first tale, raising a mention in English tabloids.

Cut to now, twenty eight years later, and a re-reading, and I find that my feelings haven't changed. The majority of the book is shite, and the two
Jesse
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I picked this up for Isaac Asimov's story "Northwestward" and it unfortunately was completely stupid. It references Batman but not really in a meaningful way. And as a mystery story goes, it had the least interesting twist, after a really boring bunch of exposition and dialogue. Other stories in here are probably better, but I doubt I'll get around to reading them. If I do, I may change my review.
Greg Kerestan
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I've always loved themed anthologies, particularly ones where recognize authors and novelists all tackle a topic or setting they wouldn't normally do. Though not all the stories in this anthology land (partially because Batman has been reimagined so many times that he can be almost anything to anyone), many of them are quite effective, particularly a surrealist supernatural horror installment in which Batman is pitted against an eldritch abomination that inspired Jack the Ripper.
Ronald Wilcox
Collection of fourteen short stories by different authors set in Gotham City. Like most anthologies, some are very good and others not so much. Weird ordering though because there are stories written after Robin has died followed by other ones where he is involved in the storyline. Worth the time though for Batman fans.
Jacqueline O.
This is an anthology by the king of genre anthologies, Martin H. Greenberg, as such - some of the stories are quite good, others are so-so, and one was really pointless. This collection of fourteen stories has a disappointing line-up of authors.

I also found this book in a box of old paperbacks of mine - and it dates from 1989, and man does it show. Computers built with vacuum tubes and operated with punch cards? It's unfamthomable! And Batman's tech should be slightly futuristic not hopelessly o
Andrew
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This book caught my eye – 14 authors from “traditional” publishing backgrounds tackle the subject of The Batman, including ones I was already familiar with: Max Allan Collins, Stuart Kaminsky, and Isaac Asimov.

Unfortunately, as I read through the book, I found it to be like most anthologies – some stories are excellent and really appeal to me, while others make me feel like my time would have been more productively spent watching butterflies flutter in a meadow.

Let's look at Bats, by Henry Sles
Water
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-ins, batman
Some of the stories in this collection are actually a pretty good read, but most of them are fairly sub-par.

Still, the collection provides an amusing enough read, if the awkward prose for some stories can be overlooked. A couple of the stories feel out of place, such as "Idol" or "Northwestward" which don't help the book any.

For the most part, characterization is pretty good from most of the authors; Dick Grayson reads particularly reminiscent of his Animated Series self, despite these stories h
Chad Van deren
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but overall mostly forgettable. I'm a big Batman fan so I enjoyed all of the stories in this collection (certainly some more than others). There seem to be a concentrated effort on the writers to shy away from the major villains. The Joker makes a few appearances (one as a side character, another as the main villain). Some readers may find this as a positive. I found that the stories I enjoyed the most were the small, quirky ones. Neutral Ground, The Batman Memos, Northwestward, and I ...more
Andrew Bates
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
It was oh kay. Some of the stories were really good, especially the ones with Robin. A lot of the writers seem unfamiliar with the mythos, and to a certain extent if you are more familiar with the mythos than they are, you might find some of the more blunt commentary annoying--he's not a superhero! He's super prepared, except when he's surprised! His parents are dead! Etcetera. But generally, it's probably worth it. I didn't like Isaac Asimov's story when I first read it. Now that I've thought a ...more
Jon
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I dug this old collection out with nostalgia coursing through my soul. Some things are better left in childhood.

This is a miserable collection of stories. Most are just prose versions of an average Batman comic circa 1972, cheesy and shallow and owing as much to the campy tv show as anything else. The few stories that try to do something different don't really work either, like Isaac Asimov's "Northwestward," an interesting take on a "real life" Bruce Wayne that ends on a confusing and indiffe
Brian
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love Batman. I love science fiction. I really thought this would be a great read. I mean, How can you go wrong with some of the best science fiction writers writing short stories about this awesome character? Obviously some of these writers should stick with what they know best and leave comic characters to the experts. Not that it was a bad book. Just had some dull stories that did nothing for the character. Surprisingly, the best shorts stories actually centered around Robin. I can't say tha ...more
Rob
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I've been looking for this book forever. I have only a vague memory of the stories contained within. I must have purchased this sometime around when it came out, making me ten or eleven. I think I purchased it at a pharmacy. I remember an extremely dark and gruesome story with the Joker. The reading was a little difficult for me at that time. Actually, I remember something about his body, the Joker's, being crushed in gears and cogs? Now that I've found the book's proper title, I will read it ag ...more
Dan Thomas
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
An instantly forgettable bunch of stories which simply fail to honour the character. Some start off promisingly but descend into dreck, others are non-starters.

The best story here, "The Batman Memos" is a novel approach to telling a Batman story, and while it's compelling throughout even this entry fails to stick the landing.

As an Asimov fan, I was disappointed that his contribution is cribbed from an old pulp crime anthology and really only a Batman story by a technicality. I suspect his "Nort
Shaun
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fourteen fun stories portraying the adventures of the Dark Knight from the forties to the late eighties. Each author takes a different spin on Batman from the campy Adam West Batman to a brooding Batman of the eighties after the second Robin's death. I liked each story and I highly suggest this collection to any Batman fan.
Larry Kenney
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero-novels
I read this as a kid, and absolutely loved it. I was at a flee market right after college and came across the book again and snapped it right up. I enjoyed the stories just as much the second time. I love the dark and brutal Batman world that is portrayed in a lot of the stories. The story with Spring Heeled Jack is still one of my favorite short stories as well...
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of short stories about Batman, each by a different author, with a different spin. It's an excellent volume, filled with a great variety of stories that you can read in one sitting each. Highly recommended if you're at all interested in Batman, or want to be interested in Batman.
Erik
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I remember this book being really good, and very dark in some spots. The list of authors included is pretty eclectic, including a Batman story penned by the most prolific non-fiction science author of all time, Isaac Asimov. Talk about two of my favorite things rolled into one.
Travis
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book-books
Wildly uneven, The good stories are very good, the rest pretty blah.
The one set in 30's Hollywood was very clever.

Most of the writers seemed to have trouble with translating Batman from comics to prose.
Sarah Sammis
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's a nice mixture of story telling styles and "eras" of Batman. One of my favorites in the group is the first story in the book as it thinks through all the work Bruce Wayne must go through to keep his separate identities apart.
Kay
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
With such a mix of stories there's definitely going to be ones that appeal to some but not others. More than half I liked though and it was worth getting it second hand
Beau Johnston
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fantasy
This is a fantastic collection of short stories. Your Batman library isn't complete if you don't have a copy. Neutral Ground was my favorite.
Exanimis
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult
Fun short stories about Batman that remind me of the campy 60's television show. An enjoyable read for Batman fans of all ages.
Chris
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Issac Asimov's short is the best.
Rubin Carpenter
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS YEARS AGO LOVE TO FIND A COPY
Bernard
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pretty poor; even as a Batman fan I had real difficulty finishing it.

Butterflykatana
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this shortly after it hit the shelfs and loved the story's the Origin of the batmobile was the story that got me.
Matt
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lounge
A random assortment of short stories about Batman. As with most short story compilations with various authors involved, it is hit and miss. Some were well told while others had me bored.
Chris
  • Superman, Last Son of Krypton
  • Dark Nights: Metal #3
  • Spider-Man: The Venom Factor
  • Wizards: Isaac Asimov's Magical Worlds of Fantasy 1
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.

The Further Adventures of Batman (6 books)
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker