Start by marking “Seven Ways to Kill a King” as Want to Read:
Seven Ways to Kill a King

Seven Ways to Kill a King

She was born a princess. They made her an assassin.

One was an accident. Two a coincidence. By three, they would know. It would be harder. But I would avenge my mother’s death. These kings would pay that price.

Published September 1st 2020 by Melissa Wright

To ask other readers questions about Seven Ways to Kill a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Ways to Kill a King

Start your review of Seven Ways to Kill a King
Helena of Eretz ✰
DNF.

I may be in the wrong mood for this, but I was hoping for more. Maybe I've read too much fantasy, but it didn't really stand out to me. If you ask me about this a month from now, I guarantee you that I'll remember absolutely nothing about it.

I wanted more killing (lol) and less thinking about killing and reflecting on the past. This was too short a book for so much introspection. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't original or what I had hoped for either.
AJ
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
”I vow to you, Myrina of Stormskeep, by my heart and my blood. I am yours.”

This was a quick and pretty good read but I was a bit disappointed by the lack of action I assumed would happen in this book.

I thought we’d be able to read and be sucked into adventure and intense action as Myrina took the lives of 7 kings. Instead it was more of her explaining her plan, explaining why and preparing. A lot of the plot was explained instead of “shown” to the readers. I wanted to see Myrina become anoth
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I think this book has a great premise. Not totally unique but one worthy of repeating if done well. Hidden princess coming out of hiding to seek revenge on the people who killed her mother and put her kingdom back to right as evil kings have lead in tyranny. Enter bloodsworn, handsome man to help princess through the process.

This was definitely a plot driven book. It was slow going for me at first but I could feel the build up as the story moved forward. Each assassin attempt brought greater ris
Kelsea
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come but this book was INCREDIBLE!! Thank you to the author for providing me an e-ARC in exchange for my honest review!! (spoiler alert its a RAVE!) I read it in one sitting because I could not put it down I HAD to know what was going to happen next!! It was so engaging and the characters were beautifully created with rich back stories and flaws that made them feel like they were my new best friends. I mean Miri is now my best friend and so I can't steal Cass from her but I sooooo ...more
Priscilla
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one, BUT I wish the book was a bit longer.
Deekay
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I didn’t expect anything from this book and just wanted to enjoy it as it is but surprisingly it turned out to be so good. It was quite an enjoyable book to read, and one that I believe would help me get out of my reading slump.

This is a story about a long-lost princess trying to restore her mother’s kingdom by taking revenge on the lords-turn-kings for their betrayal. With the help of her guard and those who are loyal to her mother, she might’ve just succeeded in her mission to bring
cassberrie
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A enjoyable romp that has a slow start but picks up about 30% through. Once I got into the groove it was hard to put this one down.

Watching her plot and kill was fun. Some of the story elements felt too convenient, like the twist with the bloodsworn, and some were fairly predictable. The romance was bland and could’ve had more flavor beyond forbidden yearning and cheap tactics to get some tension.

Overall it’s a pretty simple fantasy story. I kind of just wish there were legitimate stakes, sinc
Melissa Gravitis
Oct 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars. I hate to give such a low rating, but there was practically nothing I enjoyed about this book, which is deeply sad, as I was looking forward to this a lot. The characters were bland, the worldbuilding never set up, the plot dragged and yet was also fragmented, and foreshadowing nonexistent.
Isa (Bookishlifetime)
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

SYNOPSIS

She was born a princess. They made her an assassin.

Seven cities make up the Storm Queen’s Realm, each of their self-crowned, murderous kings one of Princess Myrina’s marks. The treasonous curs may have banded together to share a stolen throne, but soon they will fall.

They thought her dead, killed in the massacre. They thought th

Jessika
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing story, well written, but lacking emotional connection.
Upon reading the summary of the book, I was intrigued. As the story began following Myrina or Bean, the persona she had taken, I was hopeful that a closeness would develop between her and Cass. In a way, it just was not enough to warrant the ending. Their relationship is strained because of the duties each one had to uphold, and yet there wasn't much bonding or conversation. I felt like I was starving for some spark or emotion betw
Shawna
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked it. It was a nice audiobook to listen to while cleaning the house.
Ashton Reed
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for a surface-level fantasy read
2.75/5 stars

Though the story and the characters have potential, Seven Ways to Kill A King lacks the depth of world-building and character development needed for such a vast world targeted for “fans of The Witcher and Game of Thrones.”

Seven Ways to Kill A King follows Princess Myrina as she leaves hiding with the goal to assassinate all seven kings who took and divided her mother’s kingdom years before. Those kings had started out as lords over the seven divisions of the realm but had used the qu
Virginia
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a decent fantasy story. It fell flat for me personally as it made use of a few tropes that I enjoy less, and dropped some that I would enjoy more. All in all it's fairly well written and engaging. I listened to the audiobook and found the narrator had a pleasant voice and offered a decent performance. I was just a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing. I think this is a book that will be very entertaining to folks who enjoy:

- slow burn because we like each other but DUTY FIRST
- female lead
Sowmya (bookishelflife)
Fun fantasy stand-alone with Royal in the hiding trope and a fast paced plot, great for in between reads if you need to pick up a fantasy book with least commitment
Kristy
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS AMAZING 🙌🏻

Okay now that I’ve got that out of my system, let’s go to the review 👉🏻

Summary: 5/5

If you read my reviews, then by now you’ll know if the summary is good because I’ve read the book and it’s led me to here lol. If the summary to a book doesn’t grasp my undivided attention and leaving me wanting to discover more, than I won’t buy it and it won’t land on here with a review. So yes, the summary was GRIPPING!

Characterization: 3/5

I...I mean the characters are unique in their own way
Jackie
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating fantasy. Myrina takes revenge on 7 Kings. I was drawn into the story from the beginning. Loved it.
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Hayden (Following Good Books Blog)
This one was interesting, but I thought there would be more to it. The twists were somewhat predictable for me, and the world development was just so-so. The ending was pretty satisfying, which salvaged it from two stars. I did enjoy the audiobook version, if you are interested in reading it.
For my full review: https://followinggoodbooks.wordpress....
R
Dec 02, 2020 added it
"The Lion Queen sends her regards."

Is anyone going to mention how much seems to have been taken from A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones? I get that it says it's perfect for GoT fans but jeez. Some of these are minor and could just be vying for a general fantasy feel but since there are some pretty egregious ones I'll just list what popped out at me.

They live in the Seven Kingdoms. The story revolves around a member of the Queensguard for the exiled daughter of the Lion Queen of Stormskeep. S
Sarah McAfee
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Seven Ways to Kill a King. I really liked the story, I just wished that it had more substance. More world building and character building. I wanted more detail about how the sorcerers controlled people with blood and where they came from. I wanted more details of the night everything changed for Mira. I want to hear more about Lettie from Lettie’s perspective. More perspective from Cas would be great as well, and what he went through when he was younger. I would love more inner monologues. I enj ...more
Jane
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There is much to like in Melissa Wright’s latest book Seven Ways to Kill a King. You have mythical lands, evil kings, and a princess who wants to make it all right again. There is also fighting, mystery, and romance. Melissa Wright has crafted a well-written fantasy that will draw in many readers. It is action-packed and will keep readers reading.
Miri has been in hiding since her mother was murdered. The kings who now rule are becoming more and more wicked and greedy. Miri and those hiding her
Monica
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts

I saw this book all over Instagram at the end of August and saw the Kindle price was pretty low. I decided to check it out since the premise seemed right up my alley.

Some Things I Liked

Princess turned assassin. I liked Miri’s character and I thought she had a lot of potential. She was strong, fearless, and determined and made for a great lead.
Romance. I liked the romance plot with Miri and Cass. For a shorter novel, I was surprised at how much development it had.

Some Thing I Wasn
Alice
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-middlegrade
My entire problem with this is the break neck pace. It throws you in at the deep end, with very little context, and then attempts to fill in the gaps as it goes along. Normally, I love this, but for me it felt lazily done. Instead of building naturally, this story just spread the info-dumps out after already referencing things without the context for ages. I was just confused instead of intrigued throughout the entire first half of the story.

The beginning of the story is the perfect example of t
MommaT
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audiobook, and this is my first book of Melissa Wright's. I was highly anticipating the story, based on the premise of "a princess turned assassin"... first thought was "Oohhh, maybe she'll be an Ariya!(GOT)"
The world building was done well, through the characters eyes & not looking at a map, though a few times it felt a little narrow-visioned.
The characters were nicely fleshed-out, and there's even a slow-burn romance that's believable.
The plot I think could've made a t
Mefab✨
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
🍁📑 R A T I N G S
Cover
The cover is beautiful! I give it " 4.5 stars "

Title
Aaahhh....Maybe we've murders to kill a king? I don't know, what I do is 'its not that' " 2 stars "

Dedication
For my Turtles
Brilliant! 😂💕😂

Actual Rating
" 3 stars " and no more.
🔸

The story has more loop holes than I can count, and com'on ! Everyone can count to hundred, right?

The story starts exactly the day the princess finally decides to standup for her people, which is okay BUT IS IT REALLY?

Well do not know anything abo
Jennifer Hernandez
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wish I liked this more than I did. It has an awesome premise, but after picking this up and putting it down after reading a few pages at a time over a period of weeks, I am throwing in the towel. It reads too much like we are dropped into the middle of the story, which can be refreshing, but in this case it just left me confused. The details as to why Miri is hiding are few and far between and when they do come they feel like they are delivered by an over-dramatic drama school hopeful. Maybe i ...more
Lauren
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm really into these short, standalone fantasy books at the moment. The trick is to go in expecting there won't be a tonne of world building and the amount of time spent fleshing out the characters will be limited. Being as short as it is, this book is obviously lacking in these areas simply because there isn't enough pages to dig really deep. The premise of the story is interesting though and given the restriction of it being an under 300 page standalone it certainly holds up.

The last half of
Colleen
Pro: This was a standalone book.
Con: This was a standalone book.

On one hand, I appreciate that this was all concluded in one volume. On the other hand, I felt this actually needed to be drawn out. Maybe not a quartet or a trilogy, but I think it could have been a duology like Tamora Pierce's Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen. I felt the land's origins could have been drawn out more. I think that is my biggest complaint with this entire book. I wanted more information and details about e
Célia Cross
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
So I'm going to be truthful: This book was NOT as good as it sounded. It was rather short for YA, and the plot was both predictable and rather fast. The ending came up quickly.

I think the world could've been fleshed out more (more details please!) and the plot could've been twisted. The characters were . . . meh. They could've been better. I feel like their character traits were basically shown - they didn't feel like real people to me. Like friends. I doubt I would've cared if Miri had died in
Aubrey
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Just an ok standalone fantasy. It’s too short to really build the world, and the magic system doesn’t make any sense. It just *exists* and you’re supposed to accept that. All of the situations are very conveniently wrapped up so there’s no real tension or drama. Even the “twist” at the end was pretty predictable. It has potential, but that’s ultimately unrealized.
Also, I was initially interested because of the princess-assassin angle, but that’s not really an accurate description. She’s a forme
« previous 1 3 next »

• Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • How To Write Non-Fiction: Turn Your Knowledge Into Words (Books for Writers Book 9)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)
  • Crown of Nightmares (The Venatrix Chronicles, #7)
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • The Best Man Plan (Boots and Bouquets, #1)
  • Goal Setting for Writers: A Step-By-Step Roadmap to Success
  • A Duke Will Never Do (The Spitfire Society #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • The Affiliate (Ascension, #1)
  • The Prince in Waiting
  • The Prince’s Bride Part 1 (The Prince's Bride, #1)
Melissa is the author of a dozen fantasy and YA novels including the Frey Saga and SEVEN WAYS TO KILL A KING. She is currently working on the next book, but when not writing can be found collecting the things she loves at Goodreads and Pinterest. Contact her through the web at www.melissa-wright.com ...more

News & Interviews