Start by marking “Food Fright” as Want to Read:
Food Fright

Food Fright

High school junior Cassie Adler just wanted the bullying to stop. She thought gaining a spot on the varsity soccer team would whip up instant friends, but it isn't until the popular girls need Cassie's help that they acknowledge her presence. Cassie reluctantly agrees to participate in a prank that turns sour fast. Now with blood on their hands, she and the popular girls r ...more
Kindle Edition, Rewind-or-Die #7, 90 pages
Published March 26th 2020 by Unnerving

To ask other readers questions about Food Fright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Fright

Start your review of Food Fright
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Food Fright takes the hazing gone all kinds of wrong trope and makes it fresh and disgusting and fun. It’s equal parts ick!, absurd and inventive. It would make a truly wild film that I’d watch over and over again 😹

Cassie just wanted to fit in and allows herself to be bullied into doing something she isn’t comfortable doing to appease the mean girls. A terrible, regrettable thing happens because OF COURSE it does silly girl and then the fun begins! This is a novella and to say too much of anythi
Emily
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Either kill me or get the fuck out of the way."

Food Fright is such a fun read! I buddy read this with my friend Becca, and we both really enjoyed it. This story is amusing and creative, and it was exactly what I needed from a horror novella with silly & bizarre deaths.

As with the other Rewind or Die books I've read so far, I have to say that the lack of editing can be distracting, but I still highly recommend picking up these entertaining books.

CW - bullying / hazing
Sadie Hartmann
Review coming soon for Tor Nightfire! But I will say, this was so much fun.
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books, lohf, owned
From what I have read of the Rewind or Die series presented by Unnerving, I thought Food Fright was going to fit in right from the synopsis. And it DID! This novella really knocked it out of the park for me and I am sad that it was such a short read! I do not always say that about novellas - some of them are perfect as they are in the pages they occupy... and some of them just leave me begging for more! In Food Fright we get this brilliant blend of Heathers-esque teen girls thrown into a world a ...more
Steve Stred
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

Unnerving have really hit things out of the park with this Rewind or Die series. For myself, an avid reader it really does scratch two itches. 1) Amazing reads with some gore-rrific stories. 2) Seeing a number of my social media friends be featured! It is just fantastic. And, judging from a recent tweet, it appears as though the series may come around again in the future.

Sometime in the last year or so, I connected with Nico and she’s always
Cassie Daley
Full review on my blog: https://letsgetgalactic.com/2020/11/0...

How many times can I go on and on about how much I love Unnerving’s REWIND OR DIE series before someone yells at me to shut up? ‘Cause I love it, and that love grows stronger with each entry in the series that I start, expecting to just read a few pages of, only to find that I’m unable to stop reading, finishing each book in a single sitting. It happens every time!

Food Fright introduces us to Cassie Adler, a high school girl who jus
Danger
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced novella full of monsters, witches, and...teenage drama? In that regard, it's a bit reminiscent of Mean Girls, or perhaps more appropriately, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, except imagine if Buffy was on HBO and centered around a soccer team battling a murderous spirit that can possess food. I know, silly right? But the author walks the thin line between spookiness and camp, and the turns this takes are always unexpected. If any of this sounds like your jam, then you can't go wrong w ...more
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This is actually the first book I’ve read out of the Rewind or Die series and I really enjoyed it. It’s quick and fast paced. I would say it’s along the lines of funny and scifi horror.

Cassie is a junior in highschool and she’s fed up with the bullying. She figures if she can get in with the cool kids then her highschool experience will be immensely better. She was wrong. The cool kids bring her in on a prank that turns ugly. Something savage and hungry for revenge knows what they did.

Suz Jay
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
When a high school prank goes terribly wrong, the girls involved are cursed to be killed by deranged desserts.

FOOD FRIGHT involves teens, witches, and a ghost with a taste for revenge.
Two women, a teen and a wanna-be witch, long to fit in with their respective cool crowds, but the price higher than dinner at the most exclusive Michelin starred restaurant.

The ghost’s campy kills using assorted sweets were especially fun, as were the experts who were hired to help put the spirit to rest. I really
Heather Horror Hellion
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That was so much fun!

It reminds me of those really fun B horror movies! It's ridiculous but, in a perfectly ridiculous way!

What would you expect when you have a secret coven, initiation gone wrong, and a spell that just won't go away. Its like cloudy with a chance of meatballs and a slasher movie had a baby.

It's a really quick read that I bet would help kick you out of a reading slump if you are ever in one.

The characters are well written and I loved the relationships between the women in th
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
As part of Unnerving's Rewind or Die series, I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into Food Fright by Nico Bell. I honestly didn't even care about the blurb; Look at that cover! You just know all kinds of cheesy goodness is waiting inside!

Food Fright not only leads us through the teenage high school angst of trying to be one of the it crowd, but it also does it in a deliciously disastrous way. Cassie Alder wants so badly to be part of the inner circle—so much in fact, that she'll help the soccer tea
Audra (ouija.reads)
OK, I know it sounds weird, but just imagine a story that combines high school, soccer girls, home-ec, witches, ghosts, and anthropomorphized food that is out to kill. Then you'll have Food Fright. This is my favorite entry in the Rewind or Die series that I've read so far!

I am not sure exactly how Bell crammed all these weird ideas into 150 pages, but however she did it, it really works! The book goes from quirky to straight-up bonkers. It is definitely a humorous story, but it doesn't come off
Becca
Buddy read with Emily! ♥

Unnerving's Rewind or Die series is really where it's at. I've yet to be disappointed by the collection.

Food Fright was such a blast to read. It's everything I could possibly want in horror: witchcraft, teenagers getting into some shenanigans & french-speaking croissants. Also, I can't remember if it's explicitly stated that Cassie & Jamie are ~romantically~ involved, but I'm always here for some LGBTQ+ rep & I'm getting total vibes from the two.

I don't know baseball, bu
Sam
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2020, ebooks
This book is absolutely fucking ridiculous, and I loved every page!

Food Fright is a great fit with the Rewind or Die series, with its 90s high school setting and a bit of a Mean Girls clique. The book is short, but I still really felt for Cassie and Emily as they both tried to fit in without regard for the consequences. Bell does a great job of building compelling characters in a short span, something I often find lacking in novellas.

In less capable hands, Food Fright could have come across as
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
4 stars. This was absurd and so much freakin’ fun. A dead girl takes revenge by killing the people who killed her with food. Attack by croissants, chocolate, cotton candy and other foods and it was pretty awesome in its silliness. It felt like a cheesy (pun intended) horror movie from the 80s. There’s also witches involved and the killings are just so unique. I thought this book was a blast. It’s a quick and very entertaining read.

{Challenges completed:
✔For Love of a Book: I Went to the Zoo Chal
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED it!
Melissa Helwig
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This book has everything I love: witches, mean girls and death by brownie.
Sarah Huntington
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a lot of fun. A great read. I love the dark humor and the plot is clever and twisty. I loved it
Patrick R. McDonough
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in Unnerving’s Rewind or Die series that I’ve read. Like the previous three, this one was reminiscent of the VHS days where horror was full of outlandish and overemphasized deaths and a cadence to the story telling that was fun with scenes that are pretty horrifying.

It starts with one of the worst death scenes you could ever imagine. The catalyst for the events throughout Food Fright. The cover gives away what to expect – killer food. Why? That’s for you to find out. It’
Kelly (BookWtch)
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Desperately wanting to fit in, varsity soccer player Cassie Adler reluctantly agrees to help play a prank on a new up-and-comer to the team; hoping to gain acceptance by her upper "popular" classmates for doing so.

When the prank goes horribly wrong, something dark is awakened. And it's very hungry.

I enjoyed this read so much!

A dash of gore, witchcraft, and revenge. Food Fright is a fun and campy novella that will horrify, have you laughing, and make you hungry all at the same time!
Sydney R.
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
F*cking crazy. I love it.

This novella was my first foray into the Rewind or Die series, and Food Fright certainly set the bar high. At its core, the book is a gonzo revenge tale, featuring killer foods, a coven of all-powerful witches that rule a small town, murder, and a sentient meat man.

It’ll keep you reading till the last page while whispering to yourself, “what the fuck is happening here”; especially when you hit the part where a high schooler gets eaten by a brownie monster and has to co
Chris
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read! It's my first in the Rewind or Die series, but as a fan of comedy horror I gave it a shot. If you like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Killer Klowns from Outer Space, you'll like Food Fright.

Cassie is a rising soccer star who participates in a hazing incident that results in the death of a teammate. She's a cool character who just wants to fit in, but she realizes that she's in over her head when food comes to life and starts killing people. I won't give too much away. There
Iseult Murphy
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The food related scenes in this book are fantastic. I’ll never look at a croissant the same way again. Bell writes well and conveys surprisingly realistic and heart felt characters in an otherwise fun horror romp. Perhaps it is because of this that I wish it had risen above the revenge trope. It could have been so much more. Still, it’s good fun.
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Hailey Piper
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nico Bell strikes a respectable balance of sincere character drama with playful horror. Scenes of relatable teen angst buoy murders that boast Freddy Krueger's imaginative versatility.

I'm not a fan of describing a book as a mix of movies, but it's appropriate here, a delightful casserole of Jawbreaker, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and The Craft.

That's kind of an irresistible combo for me.
Beth
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great fun! Quick read with some very sweet surprises :)
Heather
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Nico Bell’s novella Food Fright (Rewind or Die) is a humor/horror cross-genre work. It didn’t live up to my two favorite blends of humor and horror (The Roo and Playing Possum). In those books, you could still very much get the horror, whereas in this book, the humor was so silly and over-the-top that any horror was rendered null and void. If that floats your boat, obviously you’ll get more mileage out of this book than I did.

The year is 1995 (hey, a “classic” horror story not set in the 80s!).
Erica Robyn Metcalf
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, novella
Food Fright by Nico Bell is a fast-paced tale about food and revenge. Did that catch your interest? It sure got me!

If you've got a croissant sitting around, you may want to eat it before you dive into this novella. Otherwise, you may end up side-eyeing the pastry later on...

After hearing about the brownie monster on the Dead Headspace podcast, I knew I had to dive into this one right away. This book certainly lived up to the level of bizarre food horror I was expecting!

When the story begins, w
Gloria
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Food Fright is a 90’s camp horror that takes the phrase ‘death by chocolate’ quite literally. Nestled among the stress of high school politics, a hierarchy obsessed gang of witches, and one poor girl who just wanted to make friends on the soccer team, this is a story that will have you reaching for the snacks and getting concerned at every gurgle of your stomach thereafter.

Cassie as a main protagonist is a typical down trodde
Cory Mason
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I had a good time with this book. I haven't seen a lot of fiction that sticks the landing in the campy 80s slasher film style, and I think this novella hits that feel pretty well. It's a story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's better off for it. I think people who enjoyed The Evil Dead or A Nightmare on Elm Street or more bonkers 80s flicks like Leprechaun or Killer Klowns from Outer Space would feel at home with this book.

There were quite a few typos and some patches that the lin
J.D.
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Summary

Cassie thought making the soccer team would put an end to the popular girls bullying her.
Joining them turns out to be worse and even life threatening when a prank on the new girl goes horribly wrong.
Cassie's new 'friends' begin to die in very strange and mysterious ways and if she doesn't find a way to put an end to it, she'll be next.

Personal Opinion

A tale of a vengeful ghost with a new and surprisingly interesting way of killing her victims.
This novella puts a new spin on a murder

• Cirque Berserk