Start by marking “The Girl From the Workhouse” as Want to Read:
The Girl From the Workhouse

The Girl From the Workhouse

Even in the darkest of times, she never gave up hope

Published February 18th 2020 by Hera

To ask other readers questions about The Girl From the Workhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl From the Workhouse

Start your review of The Girl From the Workhouse
Dash fan
4☆ A Captivating War Time Saga that will tug on your heartstrings and keep you turning the pages!

Ginnie and her older sister Mabel are doing everything that they can to help out at home and bring in money, ever since their Father lost his vision and no longer able to do his job.

But after much deliberation Ginnie and her parents have no choice but to give in to their debts and ask if they can live and work in Haddon Workhouse.

Ginnie’s sister, Mabel, has gone to stay with Aunty Nellie.
Aunty Nellie
Vonda
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I have read many books about workhouses and this was a quick enjoyable read. The historical facts about workhouses and the period in time (1911) were few so it read more like a YA than an adult novel.
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love being transported back in time and the author does this wonderfully in this story. Whilst life in the early 1900’s is very different to how it is in today’s world, the one thing I love about books set in this era, is peoples spirits.

Ginnie finds herself split up from her family, living in a workhouse. I couldn’t think of anything worse but Ginnie seems to make the most of the bad hand that life deals her. Her life is certainly far from easy but certain characters within the home, make lif
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lynn Johnson transports her readers back to the 1900s in The Girl from the Workhouse. One of the reasons I’ve really been enjoying this genre is the historical realism that comes with them. This book is no different. The time period is realistic and I absolutely felt like I was there.

This story is heartwarming and emotional. I absolutely love the story line. The characters are well rounded. Ginnie is especially a character that I felt close to.

Overall, The Girl from the Workhouse is a great stor
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was an excellent story!

I found that it was very well written and has some really developed characters.

It was set at a great pace for the story itself and the author has a brilliant writing style that worked really well with this story, her attention to detail was great and she really brought the past back to life for me.

It was a really enjoyable historical saga and it fit right into the non-fiction books I have been reading at the mome
Rose
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Girl From the Workhouse is author Lynn Johnson’s debut novel set in Burslem from 1911 to 1919. I enjoy reading books in this time period and was extremely impressed with Ms. Johnson’s writing style. I’m so happy to have found a new author and look forward to reading more from her in the future!

This story focuses on a young girl, Ginnie Jones who at age eleven has to leave her home and all she’s known to enter into Haddon Workhouse in the year 1911 with her parents. The story is written into
Amber Rush
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, heartbreaking and thought-provoking. Following the life of Ginnie Jones beginning from when she is sent to the workhouse and ending with her engagement to Sam, her best friend from the workhouse and lover since they left. Throughout the first half, there are flashbacks to her time before the workhouse, emphasising how hard life was in the early 20th century, and later the harrowing conditions within the workhouses, separated from family and riddled with illness. The second half descri ...more
Stina
Lynn Johnson transports readers back to the early 1900s in THE GIRL FROM THE WORKHOUSE, a debut novel that was an enjoyable and easy read. I've read a few novels featuring workhouses and it makes one thankful for the times that we live in today. They must have been such harsh places and folk must have been desperate to even consider going there. Despite the harsh realities of another time and era, it was indeed an engrossing escape back in time.

Set in the busy pottery town of Burslem in Stafford
Jacquie Rogers
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Girl from the Workhouse by Lynn Johnson, published by Amazon

Imagine you’re a young girl aged eleven, Ginnie Jones by name. It’s 1911 in the Staffordshire Potteries. Your father works hard in Chamberlain’s pottery, but life is okay. You live in a tiny terraced house with your parents and your big sister Mabel. And today is your birthday. Even better, though you can’t read, you’re going to be awarded a book prize at Sunday School.

Now imagine all that taken away, suddenly and brutally. Father g
Jéssica
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is the first novel I'm reading of this author and when I saw the title I was a tiny bit curious about what it would be about, and when I read the synopsis, I was even more curious. It sounded like an emotional story, and I know it would make my heart jump out of my chest because it was a WWI novel, and in the past, those novels whose story happen during WWI and WWII, tend to mess up my emotions. But I was ready... Or so I thought.

We follow Ginnie and as I started reading the book I was remi
Gmr
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I was on a deadline when I was reading this and I just couldn't make myself read any faster. I was totally immersed in the time period, lost in the lives of the characters the author brought to life before my eyes, and there for every up, down, and in between with my heart in my hand. When Ginnie and her mum and da first go to the workhouse, I was shattered. How could they let Mabel go stay with the Aunty, but NOT Ginnie? Was there truly not enough room for such a little girl? Then whe ...more
Shreedevi Gurumurty
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Even in the darkest of times, she never gave up hope.Staffordshire, 1911. Ginnie Jones’s childhood is spent in the shadow of the famous Potteries, living with her mother, father and older sister Mabel. But with Father’s eyesight failing, money is in short supply, and too often the family find their bellies aching with hunger. With no hope in sight, Ginnie is sent to Haddon Workhouse.Separated from everything she has known, Ginnie has to grow up fast, earning her keep by looking after the other c ...more
Jane Hunt
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it

Good historical family sagas require believable and complex characters who are easy to empathise. Detailed historical knowledge of the place and time, which filters into the story, making it authentic, and allowing the reader to share the sights, smells and sounds of the era. Finally, angst and hardship that allows the protagonist's character to develop positively, giving hope that they will find a way out of their plight. 'The Girl From the Workhouse', encompasses all of the above and is a hear
Katherine Hutton Mezzacappa
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Potteries, Staffordshire, in 1911: Ginnie Jones’s father’s sight is failing and he cannot work, so she is sent to Haddon Workhouse. Conditions have changed since Oliver Twist days, and though their existence is spartan, the workhouse children are in a rudimentary way schooled, albeit mocked by their classmates who live on the outside. Fellow inmates Clara and Sam keep her going, as later, so does an unexpected and life-changing friendship with the well-heeled and ideals-driven Connie.

Three y
Grace J Reviewerlady
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm quite astonished this is a debut novel; it has all the signs of coming from a far more  experienced author.

Ginnie Jones is born into poverty; when her father loses his job things get much worse and she, along with her parents, enter the workhouse. Despite Ginnie's fears, she does make friends there, but when fate steps in to rob her of their precious friendships, Ginnie has to depend on herself to survive. When she leaves the workhouse, life is still a struggle . . .

This is an excellent read
Louise
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
My heart went out to Ginnie when she is sent to Haddon Workhouse at just eleven and separated from her family. The book portrays just how hard the conditions in the workhouse were and Ginny has to grow up fast. She adapts to the harsh lifestyle quickly and makes lifelong bonds with people, trusted friendships that stay with her far into her adult life.

After three years Ginny is collected from the workhouse by her sister Mabel who is now married and expecting her first child. Ginny soon finds out
Anna || BooksandBookends
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It's been ages since I've read some historical fiction and the author managed to send the story back to the early 1900's with ease. It was a fantastic escape back in time seeing how different life was compared to life today.

Ginnie has spent most of her childhood living with her parents and sister fairly reasonably. When her father's eyesight deteriorates he loses his job and the family struggles so much without the income that the entire family (other than Ginnie's sister) are moved into the wo
Kim
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the story about a young 11-year-old girl Ginnie Jones, the story is set around Burslem 1911. Because of poverty, hardship and her dad losing his job through deteriorating eyesight, they are destined to the Haddon workhouse. Her sister Mabel being luckier is sent to live with her aunt Nellie.

Ginny's life in the workhouse is hard and she is lonely until she makes friends with Sam.

When she leaves the workhouse 3 years later she goes to live with her now-married sister who needs extra mone
booklover BEV
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Set in Hatton town 1911. Ginnie Jones and her mother and father have no choice but to go to the workhouse and Ginnie is put in the childrens hostel. Her sister Mabel goes to live with their aunt Nellie as shes older. Her mother dies and three years on ginnie is sent to live with her sister who is now married to frank and expecting her first baby. This book takes us through her life with such a heartbreaking story and details taking us into the great war of 1914 with great changes. Will it be a h ...more
Courtney Watkins
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next installment a brilliant writer thoroughly recommend this book. Well written novel revolving around Ginnie Jones, how she was sent to the workhouse, her family and the unlikely friends she makes on her journey, her loves and losses. Beautifully written by the author. ...more
Cheyenne Moore
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been fascinated by historical fiction for awhile. The storylines are able to put in that situation and you'll understand the hardships everyone faced. Ginnie and Sam quickly became my favorites and I hoped that after everything they were able to start a life and be happy together.

I am looking forward to books by Lynn Johnson in the future and cant wait to read them!

Thank you Hera Books, Netgalley, and Lynn Johnson for picking me to write my review.
Rosemary Kind
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. Well-drawn and believable characters bring this story to life. The reader is transported to share in their triumphs and their adversity. A delightful story.
nicola lewis
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous reading

Nothing I could fault with book I was gripped from beginning to end and was left wanting more.can't wait to read the next in series
Joyce tuffs
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A touching story.

This is the story of Ginny and Sam and their friendship from their days in the workhouse and their struggles through life.
MICHAEL j WYATT
May 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating story

The story of Ginnie and Sam is poignant and gives the reader a detailed insight into life in the workh
ousee
Sheila A Passey
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this story. Pulled me into the life of the main character and then those around her. Nice to have an ending which wasn't rushed ...more
Sharlynn
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book as an E-Arc courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for my honest thoughts!

The Girl From The Workhouse the first part takes you through Ginnie’s childhood living in the workhouse from 1911 to 1914 and then it also progresses with Ginnie leaving the workhouse and living with her sister and brother in law from 1914 to 1919.
This is a very fantastic and moving read that will at times bring tears to your eyes, it captivated my attention the whole way through.
I loved learnin
Tiziana Langone
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even when all seems lost…

Ginnie has initially a happy childhood. At home they don’t have much, but there is love and happiness.
But when her father starts losing his eyesight, Ginnie finds herself in Haddon Workhouse.
A bond is made with Clara and Sam, and soon they are best of friends.
But her newfound happiness is short-lived, as tragedy strikes again.
When her estranged sister asks for her help after 3 years, she moves from Haddon and works at the Potteries. Even with her new life, she often
roy wilson

• The Christmas Convent Child: A Warm PureRead Christmas
  • The Slum Sisters: Dot's Story
  • The Beggar Girl’s Christmas
  • An Orphan's Christmas Dream
  • The Postmistress (Our Street at War, Book 1)
  • When Tomorrow Dawns