Jump to ratings and reviews

Before I #1

Before I Won

Tom is one of those teenagers that fight with the world during the daytime and fight with their own inner world during the night. He lives an ordinary life in humble circumstances where the only exciting activity is watching films on the television.

But young growing men full of energy cannot spend their free time at home on the couch. Growing men have the need to express their desires, share their feelings.

After a rushed decision to express his feelings inside of him, bad things start to happen. He lost the only friends he had. He lost the future he could have had.

He found himself in a new and unknown place. Alone. Depression, feelings of being lost, suicidal thoughts and lack of self-confidence became a part of him.

All he wants is to achieve success, allowing him to live a real life, a life he dreamt of. But what is success? What does it mean to live real life?

Before I Won is a story. A story of battles with your own self. A story about finding yourself.

150 pages, Paperback

Published January 1, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tomas Veres

5 books184 followers
Tomas Veres is an European novelist, poet, who is primarily known for his memoirs, in which deep characters and a wide range of emotions are beautifully and painfully depicted.

www.tomasveres.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (3%)
1 star
3 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Josefa (June.Reads).
248 reviews14 followers
August 10, 2019
This book is quite good. It helps you to see that from the worst you can get the best if you put your mind into it as well as s lot of work. The way is presented could be different but in overall was a good read, it was hard to out it down!
Profile Image for Frederik Lierde.
51 reviews6 followers
October 1, 2018
I will start with saying I started reading "Before I Won" on an evening, with the intention to read a chapter a day, as I do with most of my books. Not this one, the moment I started reading, I could not stop. So I finished the book the same night.

From the first pages, you think, what is this? Is this real? The book can't be just about a loser. I kept reading.... and reading. Every page shows you the story is real, and every page you think, no he can't sink further down.

This is not a typical business book, even all entrepreneurs should read it
This is not a self-development book as you don't want to be in his shoes during your life.

This is a direct, hit in your face, book putting everything you have, everything you encounter, everything you see in perspective and question your life, your problems, your decisions, your whatever you have in your mind!
That's why this book is a must read for every entrepreneur and every person.

It's a book showing problems can overcome, it's a book the American Dream exists, it's a book that shows being Resourceful, being relational and being Resilient and are the key to success

On a personal note, I ended reading this book at 3 am in the morning, shouting Yes! I can much further in my life, I can do it!
My wife woke up, asking if I ask ok.
Profile Image for Nopadol Rompho.
Author 4 books331 followers
January 1, 2019
I couldn't remember the last time when I read a book straight from the first cover to the back cover straight. This is the book that I did just that. It's a fiction but filled with inspiring quotes. I love the plot and it is what I am looking for now.

If you are so bored with your current job but don't know what to do about. Read this book. I strongly recommended it. Superb!
Profile Image for Fred Fanning.
Author 27 books44 followers
February 6, 2019
This is a real page-turner. The author has taken his life experiences and put them into a story that gives many of the life lessons that most of us take an entire lifetime to learn. The story is thought-provoking and gives the reader hope for their own future. The characters and lessons learned are well done and the reader is familiarized with each life lesson and may not even know it. I really liked the book as well as its message. The author did a great job.
Profile Image for Matt Hutson.
223 reviews79 followers
January 6, 2019
Before I Won by Tomas Veres is a heartfelt book based on a true story about a troubled young adult who finds his way in life through trial and error. I loved reading Tomas Veres’ book especially after finding out how much trouble he has gone through in his life. I connect with his story in some ways and especially connect with the strong message in Before I Won: Do work that you have talent in and which makes you happy. Ask yourself ‘What type of work would I be happy doing for the rest of my life even without getting paid?’ Whatever the answer is is the type of work you should shoot for.

What I Like About Before I Won
It’s very easy to follow and it’s short enough that you could read it in one day if you’re a quick reader. The book is filled with many quotable quotes which I will include some down below. It’s also relatable depending on how you grew up.

Here’s a short synopsis:
Before I Won opens up at the birth of Tom Seed. It goes through his childhood explaining how he barely scrapes by because his parents are irresponsible in raising him. His parents are very poor and at one point all of them have to live on the streets. He hates school and just wants to graduate so he can get out of his poor life and build his own successful life. Tom finally decides to move away from his hometown to start a better life after having problem after problem.

But moving away doesn’t solve all his problems. He’s tired and needs to find the secret to getting out of his poor situation and live the dream of a wealthy person. He just doesn’t know how to do it. Failure scares him yet he wants to succeed. How will he do it?

As you can see the story above sounds quite interesting. Don’t get the synopsis wrong. You may have heard stories similar to this before but Tomas’ story is uniquely his. You can learn a lot from it as well especially if you don’t really know what you enjoy in life. Some of the mistakes he makes were avoidable. You can learn a lot from watching and reading about other people’s mistakes so you can avoid them yourself. Maybe by reading Before I Won it’ll spark a burning desire inside of you. That’s what I loved about this book.

Here are some quotable quotes from Before I Won
'You have to transform all your nightmares and worries into motivation, which will bring you to a paradise full of love, joy, wealth and peace. What keeps you down now has to drive you forward. You lived a life as a victim because you believed that you were a victim. You accepted it. Your parents did not make you the Tom you are today. You have decided yourself to be the one you are today. If you are not happy with the life you are living now, you have to start doing things differently than you have done so far.'

'Take full responsibility for your own life, for your actions. Don’t be naive thinking someone in this world, someone in this city will take care of you. That will not happen. Do not complain, do not go away, do not be sorry, do not blame others. When you are not satisfied with your life, close your mouth and work for a better life.'

'Do not wait for the right time. It will never be the right time. If you want to do something, do it. No matter how no matter where no matter who. Do not delay anything. When your inner voice tells you tomorrow, close your eyes and do it now. Right now.'

One last awesome thing about this book is as I look back at it while writing this review I can see a throughline as discussed in the TED Talks book. This throughline holds the whole book together. The throughline is no matter how much life might suck if you have the power to pull yourself through you can make it. You don’t need to follow in anyone else’s footsteps. You just follow your own.

What I Didn’t Like About Before I Won
The things I’m about to mention are just small nitty-gritty things. The book was originally written in Slovak then translated into English. It seems like some of the language and editing during the translation process messed a few things up. However, it didn’t bother me a whole lot. The book can definitely be improved by taking the time to thoroughly fix all those mistakes. I also would have liked to see chapter titles or the book separated into sections as it would make the flow of the book better. Overall, the most important thing is about any book is that the story is solidly compelling and Tomas Veres did make it so.

Final Thoughts
I love reading stories especially when they are true. Although about 30% of this story is fiction and 70% based on Tomas Veres’ real life (check out his website here and buy his book) I can tell which parts of the story might be based on fact. I know that Tomas put his heart into this book. It shows in the way he writes and interacts with people on social media. If you take the time to buy his book and read it it’s well worth it.

Originally posted on BookMattic at:

Recommended Reading:

Start With Why by Simon Sinek

Find Your Why by Simon Sinek

Turn Right – Find a Purposeful Career by Inez Natalia
August 21, 2019
A while ago, Tomas Veres contacted me on Instagram, asking me to read his book and write an honest review. Here’s my review:
Tom Seed is born into a world of poverty and a loveless family. He grows up in that terrifying world until he finds his way out of it. It’s a long journey full of ups-and-downs, but he never gives up.
While I appreciate the effort and the message, I should say it wasn’t a well-writ book. First of all, the book is under the categories of self-help and non-fiction. However, Veres is recounting a story of a life; Tom’s life. As a result, I think it is in a way fictional and I believe it needs a bit of work. It also lacks consistency. For example, parents who don’t give you the love you deserve, who mistreat you, who don’t take care of you, don’t deserve your love. Tom seems to hate them at times but cherish them at others, which is unacceptable. I think the author should work on the details of his book.
One such detail is Tom’s feelings. The reader doesn’t need to be told again and again of his sadness or resentment or failures. Show the��readers everything and allow them to experience it on their own. Also, I didn't like the way depression was depicted. It’s the darkest place anyone can ever find themselves in, and getting out of it is not as easy as Tomas' characters pretended. It’s an incredibly sensitive topic and needs to be dealt with more caution.
The reason why I'm giving this book only two stars, is because it wasn't professionally edited. I liked the first-person narrator, and I also enjoyed the simple and short sentences. However, the book was full of grammatical errors and typos. It needs to be edited for sure.
All in all, I personally think the book has potential, but it still needs a lot of work and improvement.
Profile Image for Areadinghuman.
723 reviews12 followers
October 2, 2020
An inspiring story about finding yourself

Key words: self-help, inspiring, success, fiction

Wow, what a book. Big thank you to the author for agreeing to sending me an eCopy of his book. Right from the beginning, I liked how this book was written and where the story was going. It was really easy to read, fluid and interesting. In this story, we follow Tom from the moment he was born, until his mid-20s. We follow him, growing up in Bronx in a poor family. This book tells Tom’s journey to becoming successful doing what he loved. I know some of you do not like self-help book but I would still recommend it as this one was more like an inspiring story. I like how it made me think about my life. A bit sad to think that at like 25, Tom had already found what he was extraordinary at and followed it while I’m here, at 21, knowing only what I’m ordinary at. It reminded me that I still have no idea of what I would like to do with my life (continue reading for sure). But it also gave me hope and I’m grateful for that. I really liked the character and his perseverance through life. The lesson to take from this book: Find what you’re extraordinary at and follow it, make it work. I absolutely recommend this book that, I’m sure, you’ll read in one-sitting.

4.5/5
Profile Image for RAM.
5 reviews
August 10, 2019
Me gusta la literatura de ficción. Simplemente la amo. Pero, a veces, es bueno que la realidad te golpee justo en el rostro y te haga ver lo que hay a tu alrededor.

La historia es simple y corta pero no por eso mala. Es lo primero que leo de este autor y me agradó completamente. Un joven que nace en una zona baja de su ciudad es empujado desde muy joven a las calles, a experimentar lo que es recibir un golpe de tus padres, perder a los amigos y que la sociedad te separe como un pedazo de basura.

**I received a copy of this book from the author for free in exchange for an honest review. My opinions have not been influenced by the author. **
Profile Image for Rahul Ammanath.
43 reviews
September 11, 2019
In simple words like how the book was written, the book is truly inspirational. Written right from the heart. The writing style is short and crisp, precise to the point. Should have given more breathing space for the story plot to develop. The struggle by the protagonist can be easily related to our own little journey towards passion. Right from the heart way of writing makes the story touch us personally. A definite recommended book to bring out the warrior inside you.
September 14, 2019
Great story about a guy who despite a hard life achieved the life he wanted.
I wanted to know how it ended; it held my attention.
Easy read, done in two settings.
There are typos that make it a little hard to fully enjoy, for me. But they are not super terrible.
A little language that I'm not fond of either.
However while reading it I thought of people in my life that may benefit from reading this book because the main character overcomes so much.
Profile Image for Jose.
10 reviews
March 2, 2020
Good overall story

The overall story of the book is really good, though it feels a bit forced some times.
The writer's style is still new and I am sure will improve in future books.

Recommend to read this book, will give you a perspective about the struggles of other people and appreciate what you have. Also, will give insights on how to look at your own life and find ways to improve it.
Profile Image for Apichaya Theampetch.
9 reviews1 follower
April 9, 2019
This book has a lot of dimensions. We can’t judge the main character by his mistakes like we can’t judge the book by its cover. We are humans, we made mistakes... What I really like about this book is that, the main character asked the same question like I asked about life...This book is a goy mixture between fiction and non-fiction book. I got so many home messages.
August 20, 2019
I really enjoyed the book I am a slow read and still managed to finish it in 3 sit-downs. It's a page-turner. A great story of how a person with heart and determination can overcome just about anything. I love how it illustrates the importance of having a good mentor.
Profile Image for Janine Hernandez.
Author 3 books1 follower
February 5, 2020
Wow what an amazing book! I enjoyed every single thing I read. It is a story about triumph and pulling yourself out of hard times to accomplishing true inner success. This is an amazing story and such an inspiration to keep pushing forward.
Profile Image for econoMisfit.
258 reviews8 followers
August 17, 2019
A meaningful story from rags to riches. The way it was written reminds of the "Rich Dad Poor Dad". Nevertheless, it's sweet, short and inspiring.
Profile Image for Siobhan.
223 reviews12 followers
June 14, 2019
I'm not the autobiography type so I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but I figured why not! In all honesty, it is a short, easy and enjoyable read.

Reading about Tomas' story is quite motivating because it's about someone who is ordinary, who didn't have a head start with a powerful or wealthy family and overcame obstacles to achieve anyway. It's a strong reminder about how powerful our mindset is irrespective of our background or upbringing, and that you could read all the books in the world about how to achieve any dream or goal, but if your mindset isn't there, then it would all be pointless. Going after the dream goes with working for the dream physically and mentally!
Personally, I was particularly inspired by the conversation between John (a former boss) and Tom (the main character/author).

If you enjoy books about real people making it, you would enjoy this book and probably feel a tad more inspired afterward.

I rated this book 5 stars despite the few typos/errors in the book because the content counts more.
Profile Image for Booksandcoffeemx.
1,433 reviews65 followers
June 27, 2019
“I was so blinded looking around myself that I forgot to look in the inner me.”
Filled with inspiring quotes this book is about the life of Tomas, a troubled young adult, and how he overcome his life obstacles.
A very inspiring story about how can the mistakes we make in life can affect us and the ones we are close too.
It was a short easy read full of life lessons and reminders of how powerful our mindset is to achieve our dreams.
“You cannot run away from fear all the time, you have to stand up for it, overcome it.”
“I could not allow my past to destroy my future.”
“The biggest struggles do not happen on the battlefield, but in our minds.”
Thank you so much @iamtomasveres for sending me a copy of your book.
#beforeiwon #tomasveres #booksandcoffeepleasemx
Profile Image for One Man Book Club.
3 reviews1 follower
February 29, 2020
Tangible, insightful and illuminating. A must read, because the story will stand the test of time.

If you are being haunted by your failures in life, this book is for you.
If you want to elevate yourself and your life from the norm, this book is a must read.
If you want to get insights on getting out of mediocrity, this book should be part of your reading list.
Feeling demotivated of life and work? Or are you on the stage of questioning your waking up moments? This book might help!

This is an inspiring story of Tom Seed who continually being haunted by the rippling effects of his past decisions. His mistakes are spoiling his future which lead him to be in constant battle with the hardest opponent - himself. Witness how he rises from the ashes and how people he meet along the way illuminate his path to massive success.

POV: I didn’t expect too much from the book but it turns out to be a page-turner! You’ll know right away if an author put his heart into his work. As I progress reading the book, I start figuring out if it is a memoir, business book or a self-help book. No, because it is a “full course meal”. All the elements of the aforementioned are present. I was deeply immersed in the story and didn’t notice the time until I finish reading it.

There were technical opportunities in the book. However, changing its unappealing cover and fixing the grammatical lapses by prof editors will make this book stand the test of time. If I am to compare this to a best seller book this has the “The Alchemist” vibe but in a tangible and unique way.
Profile Image for Chris.
19 reviews
February 3, 2019
I’ve read books by many great authors. Books that inform, entertain and inspire. And on rare occasions books that become part of you being. This book for me is the latter.

I felt deeply connected to Tom right from the start, and while the circumstances are not identical, the spirit is the same.

I could go on writing line after line about Before I Won, but the best I feel I can say about it is this.

Within the pages of this book you are brought into the author’s “soul” his very being is shared with you. This book didn’t touch me, it grabbed me by the heart and the head.

I am grateful that I won this book from Goodreads, and even more grateful that the author brought it to the world.
Profile Image for Damian Cy.
Author 3 books2 followers
October 15, 2020
I just finished this book and feel quite motivated and inspired. It is a compelling story of hardship and finding oneself. I’m sure many people that have struggled to find themselves feel the same, but the story touched me deeply. I have myself struggled with finding the courage and having the wisdom to chase after my dreams no matter what others say about it. This book was well done. I recommend it. Can’t wait to see how the author grows.
Profile Image for Kenny Cannon.
8 reviews1 follower
January 18, 2020
Must Read if you’re looking to excel in life!

This is an extremely powerful “rags to riches” story that will inspire you to be all you can be. Read it, follow the advice, and take action! You will see results!!
21 reviews
October 18, 2020
One of the most realistic books I have ever read. If I were him, I would be a nothing in this world. A life lived without questioning one’s own desires and problems is never to be considered a life at all (because I have got a lot of queries for myself). We, at some points in our life, must have questioned our own conditions and compared it with others, might as well blame others for our own troubles.

The book is authored to tell the story of Tom Seeds, born to a financially challenged family, who under the influence of living in a poor household, having to bargain with everything, ends up having a grudge against the affluent people. At the very years of his teen, he determines to take revenge against the rich people and succeeds in it at the cost of losing his parents.

As he grows up, he is all set to live an honest life, but as luck would have it, his past doings has its impact on his newly hard earned livelihood. However, he still wants to go on and discover his life, desires and goals which led him to three people who bring about a change in him for the best.
I enjoyed reading the book a lot. It teaches us to take responsibility of our actions and live through and face all the obstacles to attain that undiscovered goal. It is bout self discovery through the tough times. You might have read a lot of self help books, but this one hits different. I would recommend the book to all.

I had asked myself frequently during my read, what I would have been doing if I were in his shoes. I’m really weak at heart. I wouldn’t really be looking forward in my life, if I was to encounter a chain of failures. I would just go underground and let people and myself forget about my existence.
Profile Image for Divyanshu Oberoi.
54 reviews3 followers
August 7, 2021
Finding purpose, meaning and passion in a meaningless world is not easy. One of the hardest parts about being passionate about something is that we have no idea what we're actually passionate about. It's definitely not the material things in life. Passion is a journey, and you'll need to keep going one way or another no matter what. This book will teach you how to find your passion by going back to the basics: what is love? How does it work? Why should you pursue your passions instead of doing what's expected of you?

Before I won tells the story of a young man fighting toxic thoughts inside his head.
Bullying. School. Graduation. Parents. A period causing cold sweat was over. Now, the period he always dreamt of – adulthood.
Freedom. Independence. The power to live your own life.
But instead of calming happiness only hurting darkness. Depression emerging randomly. Uncontrollable anxiety. Lack of self-confidence. Feeling lost. Lack of money.
All of the ordinary things in society keep young Tom outside of society. Relationships, career, life – they bring questions without answers. Who am I? What do I want?

“If you want to do something, you have to do it. No matter how, no matter where, no matter with whom.”

This was a book that kept me turning the pages; it had me emotionally engaged from start to finish.

If you are looking for a book that makes you think and feel some deep things about life, balance, destiny and choices that will ultimately change your life for the better then this is the book for you.
102 reviews1 follower
November 10, 2020
Have you seen anyone living a life without any problem, difficulties? Atleast I haven't yet. But yes, I have seen people who are struggling hard in life but never give up. Tom seed is definitely one of them.

Now you would ask who's Tom Seed? It doesn't matter who he is, what matters is what he has gone through, how he not just survived it but won over it and what we learn from his story!

Before I won, is a story of Tom Seed who had difficult life since the day he born. disturbed parent child relationship, struggling hard to meet days ends, no guidance, no education, bullied by people, all the things get stacked up one after another for years and the day comes when everything burst out which make his life worsen than before.

Depression, negativity, no self esteem, lost confidence, humiliation and what not. Few may give up after some extent, but despite of being miserable and no will for living, what Tom did with his life was inspiring roller coaster for me.

This ride was full of adventures, emotions and inspiration. From the beginning to the end, I was on edge wondering what's going to happen now.

The way author wrote the book is commendable. It's non fiction in disguise of fiction. Simple and lucid language makes you turn the pages one after another. And honest but brutal story of Tom Seed left you inspiring to do more with your life. What else you could ask from a good book? .
October 5, 2020
Book Review No : 7

Book Name : Before I Won

Pages - 146

Language -English (Easy to Understand)

Author - Tomas Veres

🌸About the Author 🌸

An inspirational author who connects to our life through his books.Each and every chapter would connect to any phase of our life for sure.He has written both "Before I Won" and "Before I Failed" books.

💜My Review💜

Hey peeps!! Very inspirational book and I personally was able to connect so much to this book.I started to read the book and thought to stop with 1 or 2 chapters and continue the next day but I was not able to stop or skip any pages.

If you are already in the path to succes and anything is stopping you in moving ahead,please never do give up.Learn from your failures, and experience all kind of phases in life.At the same time,Never forget to enjoy your life while striving hard for success.

The author has mentioned on how he has undergone much struggles, depression and much failures before meeting success in life.The book is written in English language and very easy to understand.I would suggest this book for all the young boys out there.Give it a read!!

Profile Image for Luce Wood.
49 reviews11 followers
September 24, 2020
Before I Won is an unusual and unique first-person account of the Author detailing his uncommon life. Tom did not start out with the proverbial "silver spoon". Actually, Tom started out with much less than many others. He describes his turbulent home and family life, his abusive and bully-targeted childhood, and his delinquency that all fed into a young life of desperation, depression and despair. However, through the grounded mentorship and guidance of a few, seemingly anointed, advisors in his early adulthood, Tom found the sound advice and determination he needed to win in life instead of allowing his earlier experiences to drive him into a life of misery. This is not your average "rags to riches" story but it is a motivational story that should be shared with any person who wants to improve their lives and not allow prior or current circumstances to define their future. Highly recommended.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.