Start by marking “Before I Won” as Want to Read:
Before I Won

Before I Won

(Before I #1)

Tom is one of those teenagers that fight with the world during the daytime and fight with their own inner world during the night. He lives an ordinary life in humble circumstances where the only exciting activity is watching films on the television.

But young growing men full of energy cannot spend their free time at home on the couch. Growing men have the need to express
Published January 2020 by Tomas Veres

To ask other readers questions about Before I Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Won

Start your review of Before I Won
Josefa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite good. It helps you to see that from the worst you can get the best if you put your mind into it as well as s lot of work. The way is presented could be different but in overall was a good read, it was hard to out it down!
Fred Fanning
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real page-turner. The author has taken his life experiences and put them into a story that gives many of the life lessons that most of us take an entire lifetime to learn. The story is thought-provoking and gives the reader hope for their own future. The characters and lessons learned are well done and the reader is familiarized with each life lesson and may not even know it. I really liked the book as well as its message. The author did a great job.
Nopadol Rompho
I couldn't remember the last time when I read a book straight from the first cover to the back cover straight. This is the book that I did just that. It's a fiction but filled with inspiring quotes. I love the plot and it is what I am looking for now.

If you are so bored with your current job but don't know what to do about. Read this book. I strongly recommended it. Superb!
Matt Hutson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I Won by Tomas Veres is a heartfelt book based on a true story about a troubled young adult who finds his way in life through trial and error. I loved reading Tomas Veres book especially after finding out how much trouble he has gone through in his life. I connect with his story in some ways and especially connect with the strong message in Before I Won: Do work that you have talent in and which makes you happy. Ask yourself What type of work would I be happy doing for the rest of my life ...more
Riley Carlson
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
51% DNF - I tried taking a break and coming back to it but Im going to call it quits.

I got a complementary copy and I will say that I really did want to give this the best effort, but I cant finish it.

1. The characters are very short term and so inconsistent. The parents are loving and supportive one chapter and abusive the next and it is all over the place. Sure emotions can move around and everything, but you cant go back and forth between polar opposites. Likewise, if you do not spend a ton
Nagisa Furukawa
A while ago, Tomas Veres contacted me on Instagram, asking me to read his book and write an honest review. Heres my review:
Tom Seed is born into a world of poverty and a loveless family. He grows up in that terrifying world until he finds his way out of it. Its a long journey full of ups-and-downs, but he never gives up.
While I appreciate the effort and the message, I should say it wasnt a well-writ book. First of all, the book is under the categories of self-help and non-fiction.
RAM
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gusta la literatura de ficción. Simplemente la amo. Pero, a veces, es bueno que la realidad te golpee justo en el rostro y te haga ver lo que hay a tu alrededor.

La historia es simple y corta pero no por eso mala. Es lo primero que leo de este autor y me agradó completamente. Un joven que nace en una zona baja de su ciudad es empujado desde muy joven a las calles, a experimentar lo que es recibir un golpe de tus padres, perder a los amigos y que la sociedad te separe como un pedazo de basura.

Jose
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overall story

The overall story of the book is really good, though it feels a bit forced some times.
The writer's style is still new and I am sure will improve in future books.

Recommend to read this book, will give you a perspective about the struggles of other people and appreciate what you have. Also, will give insights on how to look at your own life and find ways to improve it.
Rahul Ammanath
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In simple words like how the book was written, the book is truly inspirational. Written right from the heart. The writing style is short and crisp, precise to the point. Should have given more breathing space for the story plot to develop. The struggle by the protagonist can be easily related to our own little journey towards passion. Right from the heart way of writing makes the story touch us personally. A definite recommended book to bring out the warrior inside you.
Jennifer Whitehead
Great story about a guy who despite a hard life achieved the life he wanted.
I wanted to know how it ended; it held my attention.
Easy read, done in two settings.
There are typos that make it a little hard to fully enjoy, for me. But they are not super terrible.
A little language that I'm not fond of either.
However while reading it I thought of people in my life that may benefit from reading this book because the main character overcomes so much.
Apichaya Theampetch
This book has a lot of dimensions. We cant judge the main character by his mistakes like we cant judge the book by its cover. We are humans, we made mistakes... What I really like about this book is that, the main character asked the same question like I asked about life...This book is a goy mixture between fiction and non-fiction book. I got so many home messages. ...more
Federico Chamorro
I really enjoyed the book I am a slow read and still managed to finish it in 3 sit-downs. It's a page-turner. A great story of how a person with heart and determination can overcome just about anything. I love how it illustrates the importance of having a good mentor.
Janine Hernandez
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing book! I enjoyed every single thing I read. It is a story about triumph and pulling yourself out of hard times to accomplishing true inner success. This is an amazing story and such an inspiration to keep pushing forward.
Kenny Cannon
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read if youre looking to excel in life!

This is an extremely powerful rags to riches story that will inspire you to be all you can be. Read it, follow the advice, and take action! You will see results!!
Karin
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watch the video for my review.

Rachel Rein
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for millenials!
beingCristina
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A meaningful story from rags to riches. The way it was written reminds of the "Rich Dad Poor Dad". Nevertheless, it's sweet, short and inspiring.
Siobhan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, ebooks, read-review
I'm not the autobiography type so I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but I figured why not! In all honesty, it is a short, easy and enjoyable read.

Reading about Tomas' story is quite motivating because it's about someone who is ordinary, who didn't have a head start with a powerful or wealthy family and overcame obstacles to achieve anyway. It's a strong reminder about how powerful our mindset is irrespective of our background or upbringing, and that you could read all the books in the
Booksandcoffeepleasemx
I was so blinded looking around myself that I forgot to look in the inner me.
Filled with inspiring quotes this book is about the life of Tomas, a troubled young adult, and how he overcome his life obstacles.
A very inspiring story about how can the mistakes we make in life can affect us and the ones we are close too.
It was a short easy read full of life lessons and reminders of how powerful our mindset is to achieve our dreams.
You cannot run away from fear all the time, you have to stand up for
One Man Book Club
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tangible, insightful and illuminating. A must read, because the story will stand the test of time.

If you are being haunted by your failures in life, this book is for you.
If you want to elevate yourself and your life from the norm, this book is a must read.
If you want to get insights on getting out of mediocrity, this book should be part of your reading list.
Feeling demotivated of life and work? Or are you on the stage of questioning your waking up moments? This book might help!

This is an
Frederik Lierde
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will start with saying I started reading "Before I Won" on an evening, with the intention to read a chapter a day, as I do with most of my books. Not this one, the moment I started reading, I could not stop. So I finished the book the same night.

From the first pages, you think, what is this? Is this real? The book can't be just about a loser. I kept reading.... and reading. Every page shows you the story is real, and every page you think, no he can't sink further down.

This is not a typical
Mark Ginley
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and inspirational story. Especially at this time...
Florence Fales
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

This book was very good!!! Tom Seed started out very poor. Through trial and error he found out how to be happy. He tried helping his mother by stealing medicine for her. Then he keyed expensive cars because he was jealous of the owners wealth. He was homeless for awhile. During that time he met 3 men. They were all dying of cancer. They decided to live their lives the way they wanted to live.
Tom moved to Los Angeles. He did menial jobs to survive. He ended up working at a music studio
Chris
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive read books by many great authors. Books that inform, entertain and inspire. And on rare occasions books that become part of you being. This book for me is the latter.

I felt deeply connected to Tom right from the start, and while the circumstances are not identical, the spirit is the same.

I could go on writing line after line about Before I Won, but the best I feel I can say about it is this.

Within the pages of this book you are brought into the authors soul his very being is shared with
Rachel Horon
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant and from the heart

Readers can feel sorry for Tom Seed - born in poverty raised without love or a sense of guidance; lacking in direction other than the innate drive for survival. At the same time, readers can relate to being stifled by fear and depressed by images of societal definitions of success. Tom had to hit rock bottom again and again, had to win then lose again and again. In the end, he finds the answer to what success truly means from mentors he meets on his journey.
The
Carol
Feb 09, 2020
William Carlstedt
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2019
Abby Fender
Aug 25, 2018

• The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
  • Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World
  • Spider's Web
  • Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
  • Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
  • Divine Guidance: How to Have a Dialogue with God and Your Guardian Angels
  • Double Play
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Economics 101: From Consumer Behavior to Competitive Markets--Everything You Need to Know About Economics (Adams 101)
  • Better: How I Let Go of Control, Held On to Hope, and Found Joy in My Darkest Hour
  • The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer: How to Feel Empowered and Take Control
  • What Can I Do to Help?
  • Haru wo Daiteita - Embracing Love - Vol.14
  • 春を抱いていた 9
  • London Rain (Josephine Tey #6)
Even from the time my childhood, I felt in my heart that I want to be a creative individual.

It began with physical objects-art-pieces.

But very soon I found that this direction is not the right one for me.

I chose to follow my desire coming from the depths of my heart.

To create visible ghosts, with the strength to live in the heart of the people forever.

Before I (2 books)
  • Before I Failed

News & Interviews

“When I drew, I drew for entire days because when I held the pencil in my hand, there was no darkness in my head any more.” 1 likes