Start by marking “Before I Won” as Want to Read:
Before I Won

Before I Won

(Before I #1)

Tom is one of those teenagers that fight with the world during the daytime and fight with their own inner world during the night. He lives an ordinary life in humble circumstances where the only exciting activity is watching films on the television.

But young growing men full of energy cannot spend their free time at home on the couch. Growing men have the need to express t
Published January 2020 by Tomas Veres

To ask other readers questions about Before I Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Won

Start your review of Before I Won
Josefa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite good. It helps you to see that from the worst you can get the best if you put your mind into it as well as s lot of work. The way is presented could be different but in overall was a good read, it was hard to out it down!
Fred Fanning
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real page-turner. The author has taken his life experiences and put them into a story that gives many of the life lessons that most of us take an entire lifetime to learn. The story is thought-provoking and gives the reader hope for their own future. The characters and lessons learned are well done and the reader is familiarized with each life lesson and may not even know it. I really liked the book as well as its message. The author did a great job.
Nopadol Rompho
I couldn't remember the last time when I read a book straight from the first cover to the back cover straight. This is the book that I did just that. It's a fiction but filled with inspiring quotes. I love the plot and it is what I am looking for now.

If you are so bored with your current job but don't know what to do about. Read this book. I strongly recommended it. Superb!
Frederik Lierde
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will start with saying I started reading "Before I Won" on an evening, with the intention to read a chapter a day, as I do with most of my books. Not this one, the moment I started reading, I could not stop. So I finished the book the same night.

From the first pages, you think, what is this? Is this real? The book can't be just about a loser. I kept reading.... and reading. Every page shows you the story is real, and every page you think, no he can't sink further down.

This is not a typical bus
Matt Hutson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I Won by Tomas Veres is a heartfelt book based on a true story about a troubled young adult who finds his way in life through trial and error. I loved reading Tomas Veres’ book especially after finding out how much trouble he has gone through in his life. I connect with his story in some ways and especially connect with the strong message in Before I Won: Do work that you have talent in and which makes you happy. Ask yourself ‘What type of work would I be happy doing for the rest of my li ...more
Nagisa Furukawa
A while ago, Tomas Veres contacted me on Instagram, asking me to read his book and write an honest review. Here’s my review:
Tom Seed is born into a world of poverty and a loveless family. He grows up in that terrifying world until he finds his way out of it. It’s a long journey full of ups-and-downs, but he never gives up.
While I appreciate the effort and the message, I should say it wasn’t a well-writ book. First of all, the book is under the categories of self-help and non-fiction. However, V
Readwithethel
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring story about finding yourself

Key words: self-help, inspiring, success, fiction

Wow, what a book. Big thank you to the author for agreeing to sending me an eCopy of his book. Right from the beginning, I liked how this book was written and where the story was going. It was really easy to read, fluid and interesting. In this story, we follow Tom from the moment he was born, until his mid-20s. We follow him, growing up in Bronx in a poor family. This book tells Tom’s journey to becoming s
Rahul Ammanath
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In simple words like how the book was written, the book is truly inspirational. Written right from the heart. The writing style is short and crisp, precise to the point. Should have given more breathing space for the story plot to develop. The struggle by the protagonist can be easily related to our own little journey towards passion. Right from the heart way of writing makes the story touch us personally. A definite recommended book to bring out the warrior inside you.
Jennifer Whitehead
Great story about a guy who despite a hard life achieved the life he wanted.
I wanted to know how it ended; it held my attention.
Easy read, done in two settings.
There are typos that make it a little hard to fully enjoy, for me. But they are not super terrible.
A little language that I'm not fond of either.
However while reading it I thought of people in my life that may benefit from reading this book because the main character overcomes so much.
Jose
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overall story

The overall story of the book is really good, though it feels a bit forced some times.
The writer's style is still new and I am sure will improve in future books.

Recommend to read this book, will give you a perspective about the struggles of other people and appreciate what you have. Also, will give insights on how to look at your own life and find ways to improve it.
Apichaya Theampetch
This book has a lot of dimensions. We can’t judge the main character by his mistakes like we can’t judge the book by its cover. We are humans, we made mistakes... What I really like about this book is that, the main character asked the same question like I asked about life...This book is a goy mixture between fiction and non-fiction book. I got so many home messages.
Federico Chamorro
I really enjoyed the book I am a slow read and still managed to finish it in 3 sit-downs. It's a page-turner. A great story of how a person with heart and determination can overcome just about anything. I love how it illustrates the importance of having a good mentor. ...more
Janine Hernandez
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing book! I enjoyed every single thing I read. It is a story about triumph and pulling yourself out of hard times to accomplishing true inner success. This is an amazing story and such an inspiration to keep pushing forward.
Karin
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watch the video for my review.

Tejas Koladiya
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally relate with this book.
beingCristina
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A meaningful story from rags to riches. The way it was written reminds of the "Rich Dad Poor Dad". Nevertheless, it's sweet, short and inspiring. ...more
Siobhan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, read-review, 2019
I'm not the autobiography type so I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but I figured why not! In all honesty, it is a short, easy and enjoyable read.

Reading about Tomas' story is quite motivating because it's about someone who is ordinary, who didn't have a head start with a powerful or wealthy family and overcame obstacles to achieve anyway. It's a strong reminder about how powerful our mindset is irrespective of our background or upbringing, and that you could read all the books in the
Booksandcoffeepleasemx
“I was so blinded looking around myself that I forgot to look in the inner me.”
Filled with inspiring quotes this book is about the life of Tomas, a troubled young adult, and how he overcome his life obstacles.
A very inspiring story about how can the mistakes we make in life can affect us and the ones we are close too.
It was a short easy read full of life lessons and reminders of how powerful our mindset is to achieve our dreams.
“You cannot run away from fear all the time, you have to stand up
One Man Book Club
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tangible, insightful and illuminating. A must read, because the story will stand the test of time.

If you are being haunted by your failures in life, this book is for you.
If you want to elevate yourself and your life from the norm, this book is a must read.
If you want to get insights on getting out of mediocrity, this book should be part of your reading list.
Feeling demotivated of life and work? Or are you on the stage of questioning your waking up moments? This book might help!

This is an insp
Chris
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read books by many great authors. Books that inform, entertain and inspire. And on rare occasions books that become part of you being. This book for me is the latter.

I felt deeply connected to Tom right from the start, and while the circumstances are not identical, the spirit is the same.

I could go on writing line after line about Before I Won, but the best I feel I can say about it is this.

Within the pages of this book you are brought into the author’s “soul” his very being is shared wi
Kenny Cannon
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read if you’re looking to excel in life!

This is an extremely powerful “rags to riches” story that will inspire you to be all you can be. Read it, follow the advice, and take action! You will see results!!
Mark Ginley
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and inspirational story. Especially at this time...
Amit Bharti
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The biggest struggle do not happen on the battlefield, but in our minds."
📖In our life, from childhood to adulthood and later as we getting older we watch so many things happen around us sometimes we watch knowingly and sometimes unknowingly but we witness to the practicality of life. In spite of these thing which occur every now and then we mostly tend to love in our own comfort zone.
⏳ Domestic violence awlays leave a great negative impact on the upbringing of the child and nobody can imagine
Suzuii Roona
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most realistic books I have ever read. If I were him, I would be a nothing in this world. A life lived without questioning one’s own desires and problems is never to be considered a life at all (because I have got a lot of queries for myself). We, at some points in our life, must have questioned our own conditions and compared it with others, might as well blame others for our own troubles.

The book is authored to tell the story of Tom Seeds, born to a financially challenged family, wh
Komal
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you seen anyone living a life without any problem, difficulties? Atleast I haven't yet. But yes, I have seen people who are struggling hard in life but never give up. Tom seed is definitely one of them.

Now you would ask who's Tom Seed? It doesn't matter who he is, what matters is what he has gone through, how he not just survived it but won over it and what we learn from his story!

Before I won, is a story of Tom Seed who had difficult life since the day he born. disturbed parent child relat
Genuinereviews360
Book Review No : 7

Book Name : Before I Won

Pages - 146

Language -English (Easy to Understand)

Author - Tomas Veres

🌸About the Author 🌸

An inspirational author who connects to our life through his books.Each and every chapter would connect to any phase of our life for sure.He has written both "Before I Won" and "Before I Failed" books.

💜My Review💜

Hey peeps!! Very inspirational book and I personally was able to connect so much to this book.I started to read the book and thought to stop with 1 or 2 chapt
Luce Wood
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I Won is an unusual and unique first-person account of the Author detailing his uncommon life. Tom did not start out with the proverbial "silver spoon". Actually, Tom started out with much less than many others. He describes his turbulent home and family life, his abusive and bully-targeted childhood, and his delinquency that all fed into a young life of desperation, depression and despair. However, through the grounded mentorship and guidance of a few, seemingly anointed, advisors in his ...more
Florence Fales
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

This book was very good!!! Tom Seed started out very poor. Through trial and error he found out how to be happy. He tried helping his mother by stealing medicine for her. Then he keyed expensive cars because he was jealous of the owners wealth. He was homeless for awhile. During that time he met 3 men. They were all dying of cancer. They decided to live their lives the way they wanted to live.
Tom moved to Los Angeles. He did menial jobs to survive. He ended up working at a music studio
Vicky Peplow
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Book

This was a really good book but was confused at first on whether it was a biography or a fictional book. Anyway, I like the fact that it follows a single person from being a young child, though adolescents, then teenage years, then as a young adult. I also liked who the author explained about the hardships Tom overcame and came out the otherside after realizing his true potential was always within him. I am still a little confused on how he regarded his parents, whether he loved them
Amy Johnson
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

Tom Seed’s start in life was anything but glamorous. Poor, mistreated, unwanted, he grew to be a trouble maker. Yet, Tom always wanted more. How does one improve himself, though? Buckle up, because this book takes you on the rollercoaster of Tom’s life—where the ups are fantastic but the lows are deep and painful.

This book is a wonderfully inspiring tale that reads a lot like a biography. I’m not entirely sure it’s not! It’s well-written and easy to read. I’m only giving it a four-star

• Rogue Flag
  • Lads Reunited: A funny, hilarious laugh out loud page turner
  • Ella (The Land of the Four #1)
  • Challenge of the Gods
  • Reliance (Powerless Earth #1)
  • Her Story: A Womanist Perspective on Mary (in her own words)
  • Aurora and God
  • Behaving Badly: 5 Crime Thiller Short Stories
  • The Sanctuary (The New Beginning's Book 1)
  • You Are A Creative Force: The Fundamental Truth of Being
  • A Jackal and His Lawyer Book 1
  • Covid Blues and Twos
  • Cells
  • Dark Little Women: Girl Power!
  • The Green Signal: Poems of Virtue, Positivity & Emotions
  • Drunkface: 5 Psychological Thriller Short Stories
  • The Sensorians: Awakening
  • Watching Over You
Tomas Veres is an European novelist, poet, who is primarily known for his memoirs, in which deep characters and a wide range of emotions are beautifully and painfully depicted.

www.tomasveres.com

Before I (2 books)
  • Before I Failed

News & Interviews

“When I drew, I drew for entire days because when I held the pencil in my hand, there was no darkness in my head any more.” 2 likes