Start by marking “The Boy Who Didn't Come Home (The Hazel Wood #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Boy Who Didn't Com...

Melissa Albert

The Boy Who Didn't Come Home

(The Hazel Wood #1.5)

Ellery Finch took a one-way ticket to Fairyland. What happened next?

Find out in this bridge story between The Hazel Wood and The Night Country.
Paperback, Promotional Item, 38 pages
Published 2019 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of The Boy Who Didn't Come Home (The Hazel Wood #1.5)
Miranda
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a quick, interesting read. I thought this novella was supposed to be from Finch’s point of view over events that happened after The Hazel Wood. Instead, it provides his perspective over some events that already happened in that. I did enjoy learning more about his backstory and motivations though. I have been saving this to read right before The Night Country, so I am hoping I can finally get to it in December.
Katrina
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quick little novella from the perspective of Finch. It was nice to get a peak into what happened to him as well as his point of view looking into Alice's story.
Camille
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Physical novella.
I loved this... Finch is one of my favorite characters and I'm so glad I got to see a little of his side of the story before the ending of The Hazel Wood... I'm so excited for more in The Night Country!
Brittany
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
I loved being back in this world and seeing the events through Finch’s eyes. I’ve always been curious on Finch’s motivation and loved learning the reasoning behind it and cannot wait to dive into book 2!
Tina
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its soo sad that I enjoy this even more than I did "hazel wood".
It was really good to know what drove finch to help Alice and what did happened to him in the book cause I was indeed very curious.
Tiffani Reads
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Finch isn’t my favourite character to begin with so having his events of what happened to him in the Hinterlands, didn’t really do anything for me. Whether this adds anything that I will need to know for the second book remains to be seen, I could have done with out this novella and been fine.
Lindsey
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
This didn’t add anything to the story for me. It just told a very small part from a different perspective.
Carrie Griffin
A good bridge story between the first and the second books. It was nice seeing Ellery's perspective.
Heather
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting addition to the Hazel Wood story, but it didn't quite proved what I was expecting. We see what Finch was doing while Alice was living her story, but not really what happens after, as I was expecting. Still nice to see his side of things, but not exactly what I wanted from a Finch story.
Babinka
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I almost didn't realise this was at the tail end of the Hazel Wood audiobook. Bonus! So good.
Kristin Marie
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
It's never good when you think about a book after you've read it and you realize that you gave it too many stars. The Hazel Wood universe loses its stars.

Full review @ https://shethinks23.blogspot.com/2020...
Carla
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After finishing The Night Country and finding out that there was a short from Finch's POV, I kinda had to get it because I like Finch a lot better than Alice.
Thankfully my library had the audiobook version that has the short at the end, so I could immediately borrow it.
Here's the thing though: I don't usually like audiobooks. I find it difficult to focus on the story. And the whole thing wasn't helped by the fact that after reading Night Country, I wasn't learning anything new. Now I know that
Kier Scrivener
I really loved this short story, I just adore the way that Melissa Albert writes it is approached like a fairy tale ans spun with grit of reality. This follows Ellery Finch before and during the first novel and it is lovely, heartbreaking and completely masterful. I think that Albert excels in the short term, in the introduction and backstory, rather than the growing of character which allows us to know if not experience the characters.

I am so excited for the eventual release of the Tales of Th
Jessica
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short story came with the audible version of THE NIGHT COUNTRY, at the very end. It takes place in between the events of the first and second books of the series, giving the reader Finch's story, focusing mainly on his times in the Hinterland when Alice was Alice was stuck back in her story. It shows the reader Finch's first meeting with the Spinner, which would be nice knowing before starting THE NIGHT COUNTRY.
Anne
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this interlude between the first book The Hazel Wood and the second The Night Country. Finch’s pov was very well written for I loved getting his take on the hinterland. Finch is one of my favorite characters from both books so it was interesting to read what he went through in his tale.
Mary Jo
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
This was interesting, but I don't feel like it necessarily added anything to the story, and I thought all the backstory about Finch was unnecessary, since all of that was in the original book and it didn't really feel like hearing the events from Finch changed anything. If you love the Universe, I would recommend this, but otherwise it's not a must-read.
Lauren Mayet
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this world even more. While reading/listening to The Hazel Wood, I wondered what happened to Mr. Finch. I can't wait to find out what happens to him and the rest of those characters I loved and loved to hate. Great little novela.
Debbie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This covers Finch’s story after he betrays Alice, has his throat cut and is rescued. Once he makes friends in the Hinterlands he begins to feel guilty for sending Alice back to her tale and makes plans for a rescue. The Hinterland makes a rich backdrop for Finch’s story.
Tracie Gutknecht
YA - Audiobook

This is really a novella. A recounting of The Hazel Wood, but told from Ellery's point of view. It was ok.
Stack Fully Booked
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this novella addition to the Hazel Wood series. I appreciate knowing more of Ellery's tale and how he found he way back to Alice. I wish there had been a bit more to the story, though I'm not sure what.
Bun
May 23, 2020 added it
The only reason why I read this was because I was curious to understand why Finch decided to stay in The Hinterlands. I guess I could kind of see why but I still don't understand it completely. Waste of my time, honestly.
Maisie Iven
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The real issue with these stories is that Alice has a cooler arc but Ellery Finch is a way better main character. Like this story? His chapters in The Night Country? He really be out here being the perfect YA boy
Kim Padan
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a surprise addition to the audio book I got through the Hoopla app, after the novel "The Hazel Wood." It explained some of the events of the full-length novel. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had taken a break between the two.
Dave
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Interesting that this novella exists just to tell things from Finch's perspective. It's well-written, but Finch just isn't as interesting character to me as Alice.

Works nicely as a companion piece, but I don't think it really stands on its own.
Sara Wray
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This was interesting! It was included at the end of the audiobook for THW, and I’m glad I gave it a listen. So much more about Finch’s character makes sense, and now I’m even more curious about The Night Country.
Jenifer
A fun bridge story that tells things from Ellery's POV as he watches and attempts to break Alice Three Times free from her story.
Alyssa
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bonus story at the end of the audiobook for The Night Country. Happy we finally got the story from a different side, it really adds to the first tale.
Valia (beingshelfaware)
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I received this as part of the preorder of The Night Country. Loved this short side story!
R. L. Carlo
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Official Rating:
4.5/5 stars 🌟
Alyssa Gamble
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice fleshing out of the other stories, but I wish it had been a little longer.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Where the Blame Lies (Where, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Let it Snow
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
  • Gypsy Blood (All The Pretty Monsters, #1)
  • Hollow Kingdom
  • Dating You / Hating You
  • Blood of Wonderland (Queen of Hearts Saga, #2)
  • Open Book
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • The Wish Collector
  • The Bad Boy's Girl  (The Bad Boy's Girl #1)
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Beautiful Stranger (Beautiful Bastard, #2)
  • Water's Wrath (Air Awakens, #4)
I write books slowly, and read books fast.

I try to reply to all messages and questions, so please reach out, or come find me on Twitter (@mimi_albert) or Instagram (@melissaalbertauthor)! (But please note: I don't accept GR friend requests anymore because of Amazon's related review policy.)

The Hazel Wood (2 books)
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)