Start by marking “The Skillful Teacher: On Technique, Trust and Responsiveness in the Classroom: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom (The Jossey-Bass Higher Education Series)” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"Now in Paperback ""Insights and practical suggestions to college educators for whom teaching students is a major part of their professional responsibility.... Brookfield] will become to the field of education what Peter Drucker has become to management: a scholar who educates and influences practitioners in the field through incisive and challenging writing."
--"Canadian J
Published October 5th 1990 by Jossey Bass (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Skillful Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skillful Teacher

Leslie Jensen-Inman
I enjoyed the tone and voice of this book. It was easy to read. It's also easy to relate to the author and his classroom experiences.

This book would be a good read for someone just getting into teaching higher education or for someone who wants to learn about what is and isn't working in her classroom and why.

Big takeaway: "Skillful teaching is whatever helps students learn. Skillful teachers adopt a critically reflective stance towards their practice. The most important knowledge skillful teac
Jocelyn
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
Brookfield covers all the bases, with helpful chapters on what students value, the emotions of learning, discussion, diversity, and politics (classroom, institutional, and societal). This is the book where he says, "It seems to me that classrooms can be thought of as arenas of confusion where teachers are struggling gladiators of ambiguity" (p. 9).

Now that I'm sufficiently skillful, I'm going to read Brookfield's other books so I can become critical, powerful, and reflective as well.
Shaun Lee
Apr 01, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Brookfield starts of the book by sharing a story (p4-5) of how freeing his students from the performance-anxiety of not saying something brilliant or profound to earn the teacher's approval removed the barrier of talking in class. I appreciate the "most important truths ... established for [him]self about teaching" (p9-10)):

- I will always feel like an impostor never lose the sense of amazement I feel when people treat me as if I have something valuable to offer
- I will never be able to initiate
Jessica Cochran
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After teaching my first college course (a seminar) my mom, a seasoned college professor, gave me this book. I come from a family of professors; I cannot imagine why she or anyone else in my family did not give me this book BEFORE I stepped into the class room, but that's a story for another day.

While my first semester was generally successful, I finished the seminar feeling just "okay"; Kind of underwhelmed; So were some of my students: I had several reviews that suggested the seminar was too di
Sheri
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, found it easy to read with lots of useful and practical information.
Gordon
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, education
I scanned this book months ago, but didn't pick it up to seriously read until the weekend before last. My loss, but now corrected. A must read for any educator, but equally useful for any parent of children in high school or college, and any leader who develops his subordinates through presentations and discussions. Stephen, a master in his trade of many decades, shares his insights into the elements and obstacles of learning and skillful teaching. Extremely well written, documented, and support ...more
C.H.E. Sadaphal
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bottom line: A comprehensive guide that reveals how to navigate the complex modern classroom and provides strategies for effective teaching.

The Skillful Teacher is a wide-ranging book written by a seasoned educator that details valuable advice to both new and experienced teachers. Brookfield draws upon years of experience and trial-and-error to give both very personal and practical advice on how to excel in not only teaching, but also in maximizing the environment for learning and identifyin
Angela Hathikhanavala
Well, this was surprisingly pragmatic and had a few immediate practical applications -- pretty rare in the books-for-folks-who-teach-college genre, which tends toward either pure theory or "quick tips." Even now that I'm relatively seasoned teacher (what a weird thing to think - gettin' old), there were some useful reminders of good practice and all that. He's definitely a university guy, though, and clearly accustomed to upper-level students...I'm more on the other end. Still, helpful stuff, an ...more
Kyle
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, non-fiction
Hard to overstate the utility of this book. Brookfield is generous, articulate, and crystal clear in his descriptions and explanations of the importance of skillful teaching. Some of what he writes may strike the reader as obvious; some as arcane or impractical; but there is no one who cannot learn something of value from The Skillful Teacher. Highly recommended for anyone in the higher ed classroom.
Mike
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
A good guide for inexperienced teachers. Less helpful for those with some experience. A little preachy and touchy-feely, but Brookfield gives some helpful suggestions about the role of discussion in college classes among other things. There are probably better guides out there, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading this one.
Jess C.
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very useful book for creating, conducting, and evaluating a class. The author is relatable. The most helpful chapters deal with discussions and evaluation. Brookfield provides many examples of activities, as well as problems and solutions. I particularly enjoyed the sections on the student learning process, and how to deal with student frustration and resistance.
Meg
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book but difficult to read. I had to make up a schedule because it took a week to get through the first chapter. I learned a lot and I go back to reference this book while planning lessons. It is worth a read, even if it is hard to focus on because it is so dense.
Anne
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, thoughtful guide to teaching adult learners. Question and assess everything.
Suzanne
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and practical for anyone who teaches adults.
Jeremy
Read selections for Baylor seminar (EDA 6302) with Dr. Laine Scales.
Amy Baker
Jul 13, 2015
Paula
Jan 08, 2015
Thomas
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • What the Best College Teachers Do
  • How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
  • Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses
  • The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills
  • Tools for Teaching
  • Learner-Centered Teaching
  • The Joy of Teaching: A Practical Guide for New College Instructors
  • Teaching Naked: How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning
  • McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers
  • Teaching What You Don't Know
  • Possible Lives: The Promise of Public Education in America
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Teach With Your Strengths: How Great Teachers Inspire Their Students
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction & Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers
  • Our Underachieving Colleges: A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More
  • How College Works