Start by marking “Who's That Girl?” as Want to Read:
Who's That Girl?

Who's That Girl?

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  4,740 Ratings  ·  342 Reviews
At age thirty-one, American Charlotte Merryweather has spent ten years in London pursuing personal and professional perfection. Yet her present-day success- heading her own PR company, owning a gorgeous apartment, planning a future with her devoted boyfriend- only heightens the shock of a visit from the past.

"Lottie," Charlotte's twenty-one-year-old self, drives onto the
Published 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (Hachette Livre UK) (first published December 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Who's That Girl?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's That Girl?

Sara
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Who's That Girl? By Alexandra Potter
As I felt before with Alexandra Potter’s books, I think she picks great ideas and then doesn’t develop them enough.
The great idea here was: what if you could travel back in time and advise yourself not to make the same mistakes you did?
The poor development was:
1. The first 30% of the book was utter B.O.R.E.D.O.M.E.! You have to force yourself through it. I mean, if I buy a book about travelling back in time I can’t wait for it to happen! She makes you wait 11
mrsj
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Simply amazing. A magical story that makes you reflect and ponder what you are doing in life and if you are really happy in what you are doing now?

Charlotte Merryweather is 31, successful, owns a PR agency, has her own apartment, dresses in designer wears, has a boyfriend and a very very busy and hectic lifestyle.
But, is she happy?

Out of the sudden, while out driving, she saw a girl who looks like her, 10 yrs ago.
And chance upon a guy whom she did not notice 10yrs ago.
What happened next is simpl
kari
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Intriguing premise, not well executed......and tedious.
This could have been a great story if the author had actually committed to what she was setting out to create, but she didn't seem to know how to actually do that.
If the story is about going back in time to help yourself make other decisions, then the characters should do that and as an author you should do that and not have it that she can't actually change anything. Other wise you've wasted not only the character's time, but also mine and
honeybee
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads, reviewed

Reading the back of the book, I admit I was already excited at the idea of this story. I was thinking a little too much along the lines of "being Erica" (goggle it if you don’t know it as if you enjoyed this book you will enjoy the TV series) and perhaps even a little sci-fi-ish....? (I said ish). I know it’s a chick-lit but come-on, it’s time travel all mixed into the pot!
I thought Charlotte was a little dumb at times, I doubted she was made of the hard stuff a women needs to have to survive in
Isabella
Jul 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit, romagic, magic
This book is utterly boring!! The going back in time is barely explored... I expected some general end-line moral about how you shouldn't change your past because it would change who you are, BUT some things she should have changed!! By not changing it, and by mentioning what she didn't change, the author added sadness to an already dreadful book.
Plus i felt like the biggest part of the book was about her job, B.O.R.I.N.G.
Disappointing.
Stefani
Jun 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit and Alexandra Poter fans
Shelves: chick-lit
The character tries to stop herself doing the mistakes she did when she was younger (Now that she knows it was wrong!) but she can't stop it. It is how it was supposed to happen.

I didn't understand the end. Did she dream of herself when she was 21 because of the medicines or what?
It has a happy ending, but it seems to me that something is missing.

Overall impressions: something is missing.
Amy
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I got about a 1/3 of the way through the book, but it is just boring. The premise is reasonably intersting, but the writing is just dull. I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe someone else would enjoy it.
Carol
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a wonderful book.
Hold on to your dreams!
Norah Una Sumner
''OK, so I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm relaxed as such, but who is these days? I run a company. I have a mortgage, and responsibilities, and lines round my eyes to take care of. I mean, it's not like I'm twenty-one any more.And thank goodness.''

Okay,this was such a fun book.Like all Alexandra's characters,Charlotte(one of my favourite names,btw)is sooo relatable and lovable.She might be a PR manager,but she's not as serious as her title say she is.She changed a lot since her twenties-she t
Miaoxiaoyan
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Elle Temu
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why I decided to read this book?
I was looking through the library for a new book I would read, I saw the title and it reminded me of a well-known song so I thought I would grab it and read the synopsis. The synopsis made me want to read the book even more.

What category on the bingo board this book completes?
The category this book completes is a book with a female main character. I find it really interesting reading books about other females. It gives me an insight on how other females live and
Nina Draganova
Какво да направя , като тези книги се четат с лекота, доставят ми удоволствие и ме карат да се замисля за много неща. Независимо, че има много фасмантагории в тях, това са нещата от живота, с които повечето от нас са се сблъскали.
И тази книга не прави изключение.
Върна ме в щурата ми младост, която много прилича на живота на младата Шарлот.
Дали бих се вслушала в днешното си мъдро Аз , ако имах шанса да го срещна на 21?
Разбира се , че не. Такава скука.
Винаги казвам , че човек трябва да вземе от ж
Ciara
this was just okay. i was intrigued by the concept ("what if you could go back in time & stop your 21-year-old self from making the mistakes you regret?"), but the writing dragged a little & the story execution failed to live up to its promise.

charlotte merryweather is soon to be 32 years old & seems to have it all: cute apartment, great job running her own PR firm, super-helpful assistant named beatrice, fun & sassy best friend with two adorable little kids, & trustworthy bo
Cath
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kniha ma zaujala už len anotáciou na prebale. Keď som začala čítať, naozaj ma zaujala ešte viac a od príbehu som sa len ťažko odtŕhala. Jediné, čo mi trochu vadilo bolo, že autorka mohla trochu viac objasniť, čo sa stalo a ako sa vlastne dostala do obdobia pred desiatimi rokmi. Päť hviezdičiek má u mňa zaslúžene :)
Leah
Aug 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
My first Alexandra Potter book was Going La La and after that I read Be Careful What You Wish For. I’ve also read Me & Mr Darcy but can’t really remember it. Who’s That Girl? is more in the Me & Mr Darcy vein that the other two as both main characters see – apparently – someone from long ago – Mr Darcy in Me & Mr Darcy and Charlotte see’s her twenty-one-year-old self Lottie.

I enjoyed the book in as much as it was an easy, told-in-first-person read and didn’t seem the 363 pages it act
Imogen
Sep 22, 2016 added it
Lovely stuff! Just what I needed to keep me happy and giggling!
iamnotabookworm
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This is some kind of time travel story. I really really like it. It's bizarre, witty and funny. If I were in Charlotte's shoes, I would also follow my younger self out of curiosity. And if meeting a younger version of me means I will be able to correct some mistakes, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have no regrets in life but like most of us, if we were given another chance to makes things better, I would gladly take it. I too have what if's but I don't wallow in them. It's when I get nostalgic ...more
Cynthia
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that I read written by Alexandra Potter(The first is Me and Mr.Darcy, pretty boring to be honest!!) and I am SURPRISED how much I'm fond of it despite they are from the same author -.-

Most fantasy book make their characters able to change what they've done wrong during time travel, however Charlotte/Lottie(I prefer Lottie actually) didn't succed instead she understands the fact that maybe after 10 years, the moment to start with Mr.Barman right is finally right. Being abl
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
Imagine if one day, you had the opportunity to meet your younger self? What would you tell this person? Would you have any specific advice for them?

This is exactly what happened to Charlotte Merryweather, a successful public relations executive in London. At age 31, she has her own PR firm, a stylish wardrobe, a personal trainer and what would seem like the perfect boyfriend for the perfect life. Underneath it all, is a stressed out executive who at the bottom of her heart, wonders if she's mad
Amy Herbert
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Genuinely the worst book I have ever read. You can accurately predict the entire plot after a few chapters, it's hideously cliched in every way, dialogue, plot, structure, characters. Don't even get me started on Oliver, the guy Charlotte (who talks to herself every other sentence using her own name encase you forgot what it was) inexplicably hates on sight and in an amazing plot twist, ends up falling in love with him after two minutes. Charlotte even tells her boyfriend when they break up 'its ...more
Hannah
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Up against other chick lit, this book isn't great. The potential is there, but the execution was off. And all because of the time travelling. It was just too unbelievable. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

The plot is good, the characters well done (in terms of chick lit remember) and the ending was too fraught. It followed the same lines of those that have come before. I see why they added the time travel element - it's the point of difference. But it just hasn't worked. The premise is good -
Ali
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book.
It raised some interesting questions, ok it's daft how she gets to time travel to meet her younger self but come on how many of us would love to do that? Or loathe to do that, but either way you probably have feelings about that.
The interesting point is there is a young girl - she doesn't have much - but she has the freedom that comes with not having much.
Then you have the older, more regal self who has all the things you think an adult should have, or nearly - she's not quite
Fiona Bauer
I wished the time-travel changing-the-past theme was more developed. In the end the book should have been mostly about that, instead I felt it was not explored enough. Also some bits are a bit boring.

Other then that, it was a cute romantic comedy and I love a bit of magic mixed in.
Emma
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
The main theme is not explored, she talks more about her job (it felt like 70% of the book was about her PR agency), she doesn't fix the only thing she should have fixed from her past. And the pace is slow as hell!
Belinda Whiting
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome, fun, light easy read
ashley c
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Man, dug these out of my cupboard. I used to love them.
Violet Prior
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this book, and the idea is very original I loved it <3
Jessica Frost
It took me a while to finish this one but that's not a reflection on the book but more on my life.
The book is a bit of hard work early in with how annoying, to borderline dislikeable Charlotte is. However when she meets Lottie this changes and the story develops some depth. By the end of the book I have grown quite attached to the characters, maybe that's because I identify with midlife crisis situation, which is pretty much what this story is. It was overall quite a nice read and I've given it
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book. The premise is great, the execution okay. I thought it would have been much better had the difference been 20 years (I mean, 10 years isn't very long at all). I also found some parts a bit slow and tedious, and it was a bit predictable. The only bit that wasn't predictable (at the end, sort of a twist but more a revelation) was skimmed over. But overall it was good fun. I was 21 myself in 1997 so I loved the 90's references. The characters were all likeable (although Charlotte ...more
Kate Wilkins
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
My daughter threw this in my bag at the local library. I decided to give it a chance after reading the brief description. The book took a while to captivate me--but I did get hooked about halfway through. I wont say it was the writing that took me awhile to get into-its written in UK English and any time I came across a "favourite" or "realise," I was thrown for a loop. Loved the ending and the expected twist at the end that confirms the story.
  • Bridesmaids
  • The Dating Detox
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Welcome to My World
  • Getting Away with It
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: alexpotterbooks
More about Alexandra Potter
“And so taking the long way home through the market I slow my pace down. It doesn't come naturally. My legs are programmed to trot briskly and my arms to pump up and down like pistons, but I force myself to stroll past the stalls and pavement cafes. To enjoy just being somewhere, rather than rushing from somewhere, to somewhere. Inhaling deep lungfuls of air, instead of my usual shallow breaths. I take a moment to just stop and look around me. And smile to myself.
For the first time in a long time, I can, quite literally, smell the coffee.”
46 likes
“Life isn't complicated. It's very simple, really. It's us who make it complicated.” 28 likes