Start by marking “Once In A Lifetime” as Want to Read:
Once In A Lifetime

Once In A Lifetime

You never have to go very far...

Kenny's Department Store isn't just a place to shop; it's the heart of Ardagh, Ireland. Behind its stately Edwardian facade is an up-to-date store featuring unusual boutique products in an elegant setting. Here lives intersect...and secrets hide. TV reporter Ingrid Fitzgerald has watched her husband, David Kenny, pour his heart and soul int
Published March 5th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Once In A Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once In A Lifetime

Start your review of Once In A Lifetime
Tea Jovanović
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I adore her, but this one is not among her best ones... :(
Janet
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This has to be one of the most unfortunate titles and cover art I've seen, the picture of a carefree young woman on a swing is misleading, a lesson in "don't judge a book by its cover". It appears to be a romance, or chick-lit, but it's actually a very well written, thoughtful, satisfying work of fiction for women. Yes, there are a few young women in the story, but the majority of the book focuses on middle-aged women, women who are in (or entering) the autumn of their lives and find that it's n ...more
Melliott
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a failure that had all the advantages to be a success. I have the feeling Cathy Kelly aspires to be Maeve Binchy, and she certainly had all the Binchy elements here: First and foremost, this book should have been firmly focused on the department store, because that was the connecting element for virtually all of the characters in it. And it did give just enough about it so that you were enamored of it and wished you could shop there; but then neglected to give that Binchy feel of d ...more
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
The town of Ardagh in Ireland loves its local department store, Kenny’s, run by David Kenny. But things to do with the people aren’t all rosy. David’s wife Ingrid, a politics TV Presenter is juggling her family life and work life, but she soon unearths a secret that will shatter her world. Kenny’s employee Natalie is starting to question her father about her long-deceased mother, and finds out some shocking revelations that rock her. Charlie Fallon, a make-up guru at Kenny’s is in despair at her ...more
Louise King
Jan 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
By golly this book was hard work. I very nearly gave up on it on more than one occasion, however, by the time I was three quarters of the way through I figured I might as well continue. The book conceptually shows promise however it doesn't quite deliver. The book very unsatisfactorily jumps around a multitude of characters and concurrent story lines in such as way that it is difficult (almost impossible) to develop any kind of attachment, interest or empathy for all of the different characters. ...more
Dani
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. When I had finished it and moved on to another book I actually missed this one. The characters were all quite nice--I feel like they are nicer people than I am but still believable and I liked and appreciated them (most of them).
A little bit of "universe magic" thrown in here which I sometimes like or don't, depending on the day, but in this case it was fun and not too heavy. Anyway pretty enjoyable holiday read.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Successful woman happily married to successful man must re-examine her life after husband's untimely death. With lots and lots of mundane padding.

PrettyFlamingo
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first Cathy Kelly book, and I have read several negative reviews about it since I finished it, but I have to say that I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as those reviews would have had me think. What I do think, which nobody else seems to have mentioned, is that David Kenny was an absolute cad, bounder and bandit! But before we realise that, something that happens to him becomes the catalyst for many things that happen to others throughout the book.

It was, I think, meant to be an
Shinee Erdenebat
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
In once in a lifetime there is a strong elements of mother and daughter relationships. In this book, she wrote two main mothers life how they are dealing their difficult situation and solve out the problems. I like to read this book but i have just little bit inconvenience that was many different name's and different family friends life she mentioned it. Otherwise admired to reading through.
Mano Weatherall
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wise, easy to read, compassionate. This is the first time I've read one of her books. Wanted to keep reading. Looking forward to more of her books. Highly recommend this one.
Jayne Grew
Rubbish book
What a bore
Miriam
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
an interesting but somewhat disappointing read. good premise; takes too long to get to the point.
Hazel
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chic-lit fans, beach reads
I was expecting to hate this book. My mum gave me a handful of this type of book last time I was home and they've been sitting unloved and unread on my shelf ever since. However, I needed something light after reading 1984!

Cathy Kelly is a pretty well-known Irish author but this is the first of her novels that I've read. This book is an interconnected series of stories about women and the connections and relationships between them.

I found this book to be an enjoyable read. It was exactly the ki
Annie Day
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
This chick lit style tale based around a family business in Ireland is an easy read, great for those times when you want a comforting book with enough characters and storylines to keep you absorbed but you don’t want to be challenged. The untimely death of David Kenny triggers a chain of events among family, friends and colleagues that resurrect old wounds and raise lots of questions.

It was an interesting setting for this type of book and I liked the main characters, but the reason for only 2 st
Bookish Enchantment (Katherine Quirke)
There are times when you read a book and it truly speaks to you.
This book was one of them. So many parallels on a relationship level that I could relate to on a personal level. Many times it stirred the pain I did not wish to have stirred.
Don't get me wrong this is a marvelous story. Full of love and Irish humour. Well worth the read and no it is not depressing in any way.
Annabel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Somewhere along the way I stopped reading, which was previously one of my most favourite hobbies. Recently, my Grandma gave me a bunch of her second-hand light reads, this book was one of them. I enjoyed it, I finished it, I'm thankful for it because I'm slowly back in the world of reading. As I said, it's a light read, good as an easy holiday read.
Julie Tombs
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: disposed
Whilst I enjoyed this book somewhat I do not think it is one of the authors best novels. The story lost its way somewhere along the line and whilst it explored mother/daughter relationships and friendship I did not find the central plot believable or interesting.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacky
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish, too much weird stuff
Caitlin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
hard to get through. definitely not my type of book (collection of different stories of women supported by a woman with super natural power)
aaliyah Rafeeq
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Magical read! Well written! Life sometimes is a fairytale with its ups snd downs!! This was really positive book Really glad i bought it
Jo
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book but it took me a long time to get to know all of the Characters
Juju
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read.
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love all Cathy Kelly books! Love the way she can weave a story together with multiple characters.
Thaissa
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a nice holiday read, but not a very good book in my opinion. Mostly because of the fact that there were waaaay too many characters, it got me pretty confused at times
Marie Rayner
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read
Mandy
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely easy read with a lovely story line
Susan Hagan
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Read the book but can't say I really enjoyed it. Perhaps my frame of mind based on current circumstances but was looking for distraction and did not find it here.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Perfect Cornish Escape
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • Stolen
  • The Lingerie Designer
  • Home Truths
  • The Season of Change: Your summer holiday must-read by the #1 bestselling author!
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
  • Seven Letters
  • Perfect Timing
  • Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • Summer's Lease (The Shakespeare Sisters, #1)
  • Sex Lessons
  • I Heart New York (I Heart, #1)
  • The Christmas Lights
  • A Summer Fling
  • The Mermaid Garden
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more