Start by marking “It's the End of the World: But What Are We Really Afraid Of?” as Want to Read:
It's the End of the World: But What Are We Really Afraid Of?

It's the End of the World: But What Are We Really Afraid Of?

A trailblazing and highly topical look at how - and why - we imagine the world is going to end.

Are we doomed? Is an almighty power or an earth-shattering meteor waiting for us just around the corner?

In this thought-provoking book, Professor Adam Roberts explores our many different cultural visions of the end of the world - likely and unlikely, mundane and bizarre - and wha
Hardcover, 1st, 202 pages
Published August 27th 2020 by Elliott & Thompson

To ask other readers questions about It's the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's the End of the World

Start your review of It's the End of the World: But What Are We Really Afraid Of?
Amalia Gkavea
‘’We are all mortal, and we will all die. One way of understanding our fascination with the end of the world is that such stories project our personal meeting onto the world. Just as we will each die, so the whole world will die at some point.’’

Doomsday, Ragnarok, Judgement Day. We may name it differently but the result is the same. We are terrified and fascinated by the end of the world. A concept (or a reality?) that has inspired glorious myths and legends, paintings, songs, novels and fil
Paul
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
2020 has been pretty crap, to be honest. The pandemic spread around the world with startling rapidity and as I write this we are just entering lockdown for the second time in the UK. For some who have caught this virus, it is the end of the world, their individual world. But there are other things out there that scare people more than a virus, like the next asteroid, or the impending doom of climate change, amongst other things.

One of the most common types of apocalypse is the end of the world p
Jo Barton
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this year of uncertainty, to read a book about the end of the world seems very timely, as I have indeed wondered just where we are headed when all around us seems to be changing, and not for the better.

In It's the End of the World, the author very cleverly leads us through a series of cultural visions about the different end of the word scenarios from, Escaping the Wrath of the Gods: Religious Doomsday, through to The World on Fire : Climate Armageddon.

Throughout the book there is a comprehe
K.J. Charles
Love a bit of eschatology. An interesting shortish read on visions of the end times, starting with the mythic ones (Ragnarok and Revelations) and moving on to break down the most-imagined types of apocalypse (plague, zombies, climate etc) in recent popular culture. Well written, amusing and interesting on picking apart how we think about this and why it's so compelling. It's the kind of analysis where you get annoyed that he didn't mention this or that book/film just because it would have been r ...more
siren head

• Christmas at the Farmhouse
  • When the Music Stops
  • The Archers: Ambridge At War
  • When I Come Home Again
  • The Art Fiasco (Poppy Denby Investigates, #5)
  • The Last Blast of the Trumpet (John Knox Trilogy Book 3)
  • The Exiles
  • A Cornish Betrothal
  • Birds Don't Cry
  • The Secret Diaries of Juan Luis Vives: A Novel
  • A Mother Like You
  • The Dark Horizon (Linford #1)
  • The Running Wolf

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the