Start by marking “A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods” as Want to Read:
A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods

A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods

Gods won’t save you. Gods will break you. Nevertheless, you will persist, and become anew.
Online Publication
Published January 23rd 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods

Start your review of A Girlfriend's Guide to Gods
karen
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here’s the reality, girl, girlfriend, goddess, goddamn goner: You’re gonna have to get out of hell all by yourself.

this is lovely and anthemic, and despite all the cussin' and fuckin' (or perhaps because of them), this is a perfect story to give teengirls on the cusp of womanhood—a litany of the perils of being a female in love, with youth's tendency to elevate the object of your affection to godlike status, whether that god be orpheus, icarus, zeus, etc, reducing your status to a rapt
Fiona
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You’ll fall in love again. You’ll fall out. You will not await anyone else’s version of salvation.

This myth will not be recorded, but it will be yours.

The start of this may not have been particularly startling, but it takes a turn into full-on invocation, and I'm now firmly of the opinion that Maria Dahvana Headley could ignite her own revolution if she so chose. (We can hope!)

Free here: https://www.tor.com/2020/01/23/a-girl...
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a week or two ago and really loved it. Kind of a literary experiment, but it worked.

Headley’s writing feels really powerful to me, though I haven’t quite figured out why. I’m looking forward to more of her work in the future.
Alex Sarll
There are plenty of retellings of myths which sprinkle in modern references to help point out the problematic aspects of the male characters, and initially this didn't feel like it was doing anything more than that (though I did have a blasphemous chuckle at the line "Zeus will still have an AOL account"). But before the end it's ascended into a wonderful prose-poem about love, and I do love prose-poems, and the poetry of lists, so I'm now fond of it after all, which I think may be exactly the ...more
Devann
A mythology-inspired short story that also deals heavily with modern day sexism that manages to pack a lot of punch into a very small word count. I think this is something you have to be in the right mood for, but I definitely was and it hit very close to home.
Mir
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an original message, but one that, unfortunately, young women need to keep hearing.
Poetic writing.
Rebecca Crunden
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
You stand at the mouth of your own cave, looking out over your own kingdom. You step off the cliff when you feel like it, and you spread your wings and soar.

This was just awesome.
JM
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dug it. It was an interesting retelling of several well-known Grecian myths in a modern setting, where the central character of the story takes on the role of several well-known figures, starting with Eurydice in high-school, then Icarus' woman in college (don't know who that is, I don't think I've ever seen a version of this myth where he has a girlfriend or wife), then whom I guess is the nymph-naiad Aegina in her twenties, to finally become Aphrodite as an adult woman. The author definitely ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
This is a beautifully written and powerful story that's lyrical and cuts deep. It's also an excellent weaving of real life and the mythical lives of gods. About women looking for salvation, strength and belonging when all of this--and so much more--has always been inside themselves.

Very empowering. And fun!

It's also about love. How it ebbs and flows, how it can be the most wonderful thing in the world. Or turn out to be the most poisonous.

I love stories that work on several levels at once, and
Jens Raab
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Unlike most of the other reviewers I didn't enjoy this story at all. It simply didn't resonate with me.
I'm fairly familiar with Greek mythology but even that ultimately didn't save this text (not really a story if you ask me).
I lost interest about mid-way through the text and was happy when it finally was over.

This is the second story of Headly's I've read. The first was the very short Astronaut which is absolutely amazing!
Whether you like this story, do yourself a favor and check out Astronaut:
Alexandra
Another very solid read from Tor's free short fiction. I'm a quick sell on anything classical reception. This was a fun, well-developed, fast read, often clever. The tone shift toward the end was a really lovely touch which really made the story, in my opinion. I found the overall tone and word choice occasionally jarring, but that's mostly personal preference.
Azu
This is the fifth myth, the one they name after you, and you alone, the one that gets written down in blood and scratched into cave walls, the one that women see when they look up at the sky and consider trying to live through this and make it to their futures.

This was really good.
L. Lawson
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one’s got a great, five-part structure that starts off showing the bullshit women put up with in their relationships with the Gods and ends as a powerful manifesto for survivors. Absolutely incredible!
Audrey
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eldritch-horrors
"You’re still trying to get out of hell, and it’s a long climb. You’ll think flight may be the answer, but you don’t learn to skateboard by watching boys on the half-pipe, and you don’t learn to fly by watching boys jump off cliffs, shirtless, skinny, while you hold the car keys."
DeAnna
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got goosebumps reading this. Amazing. Short stories are not normally my forte, but this right here is how its done.
Michelle Terry
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story resonated deeply with me and my own life journey, and that's all I can say about it really.

Stas
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Unusual narration.
Katrina Fox
Interesting way of storytelling.
Steph Cuthbert
Maria’s words are always exquisite
Hanneleele
Kõigun kolme ja nelja tärni vahel. Mütoloogiatöötlused - ikka jah! Tugevad tunded - ei.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Aga no ma kogun natuke Eurydikese jt uusversioone ja siin on toredaid momente.
Paige
Feb 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Case of the Somewhat Mythic Sword
  • St. Valentine, St. Abigail, St. Brigid
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?
  • The Time Invariance of Snow
  • A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers
  • Zenith Man
  • More Real Than Him
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
Maria Dahvana Headley is the New York Times-bestselling author of, most recently, THE MERE WIFE (out July 17, 2018 from MCD/FSG). Upcoming in 2019 is a new translation of BEOWULF, also from FSG. As well, she is the author of the young adult skyship novels MAGONIA and AERIE from HarperCollins, the dark fantasy/alt-history novel QUEEN OF KINGS, the internationally bestselling memoir THE YEAR OF YES, ...more