Start by marking “Edge of Danger (Primal Instinct, #2)” as Want to Read:
Edge of Danger (Primal Instinct, #2)

Edge of Danger

(Primal Instinct #2)

Embrace the danger

Betrayed by the woman he once loved, shapeshifter Michael Quinn knows it would be madness to let another get closeespecially Saige Buchanan, the fiery, tempestuous Merrick hes been sent to South America to protect. Yet his need for her is unlike anything hes ever experienced, awakening a primal hunger thats about to change Quinns life forever.

ebook
Published March 10th 2020 (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Danger

Start your review of Edge of Danger (Primal Instinct, #2)
Yvonne Boag
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
Ok this was very, very lame. The storyline was identical to book 1. The lead female who is supposed to turn into this mighty creature called a Merrick still needs a big strong man to rescue her time after time again. She makes dumb decisions all the time. Most of the book she's begging to have sex which the male denies her (like that happens) because he has a past that has scarred him for life. Aren't we all over those men? Aren't we sick of them yet? And to top it all off the sex scene wasn't ...more
Ashley
Rhyannon Byrd is fast becoming very accomplished at writing the stubborn alpha hero and her efforts shine admirably in 'Edge of Danger'. Michael Quinn is a raptor shapeshifter and Watchman for the Consortium - a organization charged with the task of monitoring supernatural activity. But with the reemergence of a being so fierce and destructive, Quinn and his fellow Watchmen have decided to take action. Quinn's task: Go to Brazil, find Saige Buchanan and bring her back to the base in Colorado. ...more
Matthew
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its sensual smooth, but cliched and bland. hmm its really polished its not exciting and it wont leave you hating or loving its five stars for those who want a safe good read with no power to dwar you in, but its excellent if you like soft romance thats, heres the word i wanted very ...more
Zeek
Michael Quinn is a rapter shifter and he's sent to recover Saige Buchannon from The Amazon, whom is out searching for an ancient artifact said to annihilate malevolent creatures out to destroy her family. She is part of an old magical bloodline, imbued with powers to destroy evil and her inner power- called The Merrick- is awakening.

Find her he does, and just in time too, for the ancient evil is all but on her. But the enemy has captured a good friend of hers she trusted with the artifact and
Cindy
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Another excellent read. Book 2 of the author's Primal Instincts stars Saige, the Buchanan sister who, unlike her brothers, has always been a believer in the legends of the Merrick and the Casus. She is also the one who found the first of the Dark Markers used in book 1. Now she has found the second, and the Casus [two of them this time, and one is the brother of the Casus killed by Ian and is out for revenge:] have found her.

The hero is Quinn, a Watchman shifter introduced in the first book.
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This series has potential, I like the storyline, I just cannot seem to connect with the characters!

I was very frustrated in this book because the main characters seemed to be fighting their attraction and kept going around in circles about why they couldn't be together for about 80% of the book!

I actually enjoyed the book more once we were able to read about something else other than them. The other characters seem to be building up to books I might actually enjoy since I do like them better.

I'm
Darcy
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, pnr, shifters, vampires
I really liked Saige and her tough trying to protect everyone around her ways. She manged to pull that off while still being lovable. While Quinn on the other hand was too much the stereo typical male, fight my feelings, alpha male, jealous of everyone, and came off as an ass much of the time.

I did like learning a little more about the Casus and then also the Collective and what they are about. I was hoping for more info on the Watchmen, but there wasn't much of anything new with them.
Book
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting book from start to finish. Although, I really liked the first book in this series I think this one kicked it up a notch. The main characters where both tough and vulnerable at the same time. I love it how the interacted throughout the story and I found I couldn't put it down. This is definately worth reading!
Abby Fick
Not worth continuing the series -
Christine Kirchoff
Another book found while organizing my book shelf. Loved it!
Lauren
Edge of Hunger
2 Stars

Synopsis
Saige Buchanan has always accepted that she is different and that once awakened her family bloodline will endow her with the ability to shift into a mythological creature. Now that the time is upon her, Saige will have to place her trust in an enigmatic stranger if she is to survive the evil forces who seek her destruction.

Review

A pale imitation of the first book.

There is very little character development and it is difficult to care about the main couple. Saige is
Shawna
So 3.5 stars. I loved Michael Quinn. He is strong, stubborn, beautiful, and is a tortured soul. I mean seriously the stuff he went through in the past is awful, for me that was emotional to read. He alone is what makes this book worth the read and is why I give it 3.5 stars rather than a lessor rating. I definitely enjoyed him over Ian from the first book.

The problem....I didn't like the heroine, Saige. Yes she is strong and stubborn in the sense that she will risk her lives to save those that
Sammie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much ,Quinn is totally awesome and dreamy , he does have trust issues but in the end Saige is able to break down his walls & its totally awesome when she does.

Saige was cool , I liked her but then there were times where I was questioning some of the things she did but after a while she finally started to let Quinn in and it was so
great to she her and Quinn finally get together, there was so much sexual tension between her and Quinn from the moment they saw each other
Barbara ★
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular! Michael Quinn is something else. He's a shifter who becomes a raptor - a very dangerous and vicious killer. He is tasked with protecting Saige Buchanan who is on an archeological dig in Brazil searching for one of the dark markers. Like her brothers, Saige is also a Merrick and her beast is finally awakening. Of course, the Casus is after her and Quinn must protect her and transport her back to Colorado and safety. Now you know love is gonna happen and Quinn fights it mightily due ...more
July
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I enjoyed the second book in this series. Saige is the little sister to Ian Buchanan from the first book. Saige unlike Ian has a great need to find out as much about her Merrick creature that lives within her. She knows that her awakening is coming and there will be nothing she can do to stop it. She is doing her best to protect her family by finding the markers that are meant to protect the Merricks. As an anthropologist she has access to finding things in the earth. And she has been given a ...more
Lisa M
At times the heroine, by her own admission, was TSTL, and at other times the hero was acting almost unforgivably. Hmm...still gave it 4 stars though, because it evoked enough emotion to make me cry. And I'm going to ignore all the GREAT books that just came out (Retribution, Storm's Heart, Blood Hunt, others) that just came out and continue with Primal Instinct. Now THAT'S saying something!
Franjessca
Full Review posted at Book Lovin' Mamas

Like I said before...this story was just like Edge of Hunger. You know eventually Saige will have her Merrick awoken...but when. Michael is so stubborn in this book that I want to go through and slap the crap out of him for Saige. Wake up, damnit!!! Claim the woman who already has feelings for you. Get over your friggin' past already you JERK!!!
Can you tell I'm frustrated with this book? Haha.
I'm hoping the next book can get my attention more then this one
Joanna
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saige and Quin both with secrets and strength. She is a Merrick that has yet to awakened, he is a Raptor who is charged with her protection. But who is protecting who? This was an enthralling story that was emotional and thrilling. I loved the pace that the back story moves, you just have to keep reading to see the whole story. Saige is a determined woman who will have the man she craves, and he is a hard-headed ass who is afraid to take what he wants. Thank God for strong woman.

Byrd has a
Tasneem
I liked the idea of a shape shiftor raptor, and Quinn is super sexy, but I really disliked the heroine. She's just so annoyingly goody-two-shoes, trying so hard to save everyone when it is obvious she's just too stupid to live. She is the one who gets everyone killed, and the poor man Quinn just has to keep trying to make her feel good. I found the characters in that sense wooden although the passion was hot. A fairly mediocre read all round.
Add to that, it just seemed foolish that if the
Juliana Chen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is better than the first one.
The story is more likeable and more intriguing..

The one female Merrick, Saige finnaly face her awakening to deal with her other half that she already knew well.
At the same time, she met with the hot Watchman that make her inner self so unsettling.

At the other side, Quinn met his new temptation in Saige form, when he think and feel about forever. But the past still give him nightmares everynight, while he crave her badly.

Fighting the Casus is
A.S. Johnson
The second book in the Primal Instinct Series; the sister has her turn at romance while trying to survive her awakening along with those set out to kill her. While the focus is on Quinn, a watchman shape sifter and his desire for Saige Buchanan, the author takes the reader deeper into the relm of the Merrick & Casus.
I found this novel more interesting than the first. The story line flows in a quick pace with enough action and romance to keep the reader wanting to coninue on until their done
Shana (ReadingVixen)
Much better read than the first book in the series, "Edge of Hunger." At least the H/h had more chemistry and more camaraderie; plus, the heroine could actually speak above a whisper! :-)

And although Quinn (hero) tried to come off as a hard-ass, he was actually an ol' softie at heart, which I like. I do believe he was trying too hard to "do the right thing," as he often stated in the book, when it came to Saige (heroine), but eventually, she wore him down. All-in-all, a better book than the
Holly
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I read this one first and definitely feel like I missed a lot of stuff that I shoulve known. So I suggest reading them in order, duh. Im not sure how I felt about this one. Our leading man wasnt as likeable as I would like, or just too moody for me I guess. Quinn has a tortured past, but is part of a group that protects other supernaturals, so he goes to rescue Saige from the evil guys and from her own transition deal. I got to say that the bad guys were pretty damn scary to me. Not sure yet ...more
Caro
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I liked the characters, the suspense, the creativity and imagination. I would read this book again. There were a few good steamy scenes too. This was the first book I've read of this trilogy and I definitely want to read the other two books now. I also hope there a series to read more on the other Watchman and the Collection McCallon. I'd also like to see what happens with Haley too. There are so many good characters and the suspense enough to show who they are. Took ...more
Gypsy Howse
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have many books, many authors, and many series. Some books I haven't read some books I have, Rhyannon Byrd is one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed this whole series.
I so cant not wait for Ash's book to come out so I hope he is the first spin off she writes about the vampires. I know who i would like Ash to mate with and hopfully it will go in that direction.
I give Rhyannon Byrd Instinct Series two thumbs way up.
J.
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primal-instinct, 2012
The writing and storytelling in this one was much improved. That said, I'll admit their big coming together was a little disappointing to me and some scenes would have been more effective if they'd been related through a different character. But oh well. Overall a good read :) Some parts of this series are really starting to remind me of the Demonica series though (which was fantastic and hardly compares), with the Collective Army and all.

I'll be reading the next one though!
Stacie
Michael Quinn is a raptor shapeshifter who is sent to keep an eye on Saige. She has the blood of the Merrick in her. The caccus is after her and they want to take her blood and torture her family. Michael feels the attraction for Saige but fights his feelings. Then he realizes that his feelings for Saige are binding and he wants her for his own.
Dawn
This one feels off to me. In part the writing style was a bit to emotional. With all of the growling and savage need you would think I brought the romance between Sage and Quinn. Instead it was more like she was irritating and TSTL at times and meanwhile Quinn was just scared with lame excuse for why he could not be with.
 Pleasures Chest
Loved this book. Both Saige Buchanon and Michael Quinn are two good characters. Rhyannon Byrd writes about tortured heroes really well. Give me a Michael Quinn and I'd make him forget any issues he may have. Loved his character.
Judy V
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it has been too long since I read the first in this series. I just couldn't get into this one. I never felt the connection to the characters that, for me, make me want to invest myself into their story. Don't think I'll continue with this series.

• Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Echoes of Fire (Mercury Pack, #4)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Black City (Black Wings, #5)
  • Vendetta Road (Torpedo Ink #3)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • Lure of Oblivion (Mercury Pack, #3)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Wildfire (Men of Inked: Heatwave, #3)
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
  • Hero's Haven (Dark Protectors #11)
  • Shards of Frost (The Mercury Pack, #5)
  • Untamed Delights (The Phoenix Pack, #8)
  • Force of Temptation (The Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
Rhyannon Byrd is the national bestselling author of more than forty contemporary and paranormal romance titles, including the Bloodrunners series, and her books have been translated into ten languages. After years of enjoying the California sunshine, Rhyannon now lives in the beautiful (but often chilly) county of Warwickshire in England with her family and their ever-growing collection of concert ...more

Primal Instinct (9 books)
  • Edge of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
  • Edge of Desire (Primal Instinct, #3)
  • Touch of Seduction (Primal Instinct, #4)
  • Touch of Surrender (Primal Instinct, #5)
  • Touch of Temptation (Primal Instinct, #6)
  • Rush of Darkness (Primal Instinct, #7)
  • Rush of Pleasure (Primal Instinct, #8)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct, #9)

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....