Start by marking “Edge of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)” as Want to Read:
Edge of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)

Edge of Hunger

(Primal Instinct #1)

The hunger is coming

Ian Buchanan never truly believed his mother's stories about the ancient Merrick race, nor her chilling predictions of a darkness that lives within him. That is, until the day a tenacious psychic named Molly Stratton tracks him down, claiming to bear messages from the deadand a warning that Ian's awakening is about to begin.

(Re-released in a 2nd
ebook
Published February 18th 2020 (first published March 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Hunger

Start your review of Edge of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Apr09

Yippee! Something new in the paranormal genre to read about--by yet another author whos making the jump from small-press to mainstream publishing. Rhyannon Byrds first HQN Paranormal release is Edge of Hunger and after reading it, Im just hungry for more.

Molly is a woman who is used to protecting herself from the scorn and disbelief of the rest of the world. When her latest case wont let her be, she accepts her ghostly taskfind the ghosts oldest
Adrienne
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right then I picked this up during my weekly trudge around Asda (Walmart)but only because I vaguely remembered the authors name from GRs, and seemed to recall she got good reviews. However this is a Nocturne and altho I'd never read one before I had the impression this was going to be a PNR version of a Blaze, not much story , intimate scenes thrown in to spice to things and that's your lot. So how surprised was I to find this story was not like that at all, and infact you get a whole lot more, ...more
Amyiw
2 1/2 stars
I got a few of these from my library book sale years ago. I finally decided to start reading them. This is another PNR that just didn't get there. The main characters actually have anti-chemistry due to the jerkness of the guy. I don't see why the woman likes him, at all. Is it the dream sex? Cause that is the only time that they seem to have chemistry. Because of how much he pushes him away, to past the 80% part of the book, she seems like a sick, lonely, and desperate woman.

So at
MelissaB
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MelissaB by: Julie (jjmachshev)
The hero in this book almost ruined the entire story for me. He was annoying and kept pushing the heroine away almost the ENTIRE story. She was only trying to help but he selfishly refused to consider how his attempt to ignore the obvious change in himself would cause for more people to die, plus he hurt the heroine again and again with his actions. He didn't want to be close to anyone ever but we were never given a good reason why. He just came off like a selfish rude jerk, so I wasn't sure how ...more
Gardavson
May 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sheer and utter crap. This author is obviously an erotica writer trying to cross over. In te first third of the book, I was thinking, there is no way this belongs on a Walmart shelf. My problem, however, isn't necessarily with erotica. The first third was composed of basically two strangers either having sex, thinking about sex, or well, thinking about sex. Ok. But, there was no real plot. There was the promise of a plot, hint of a plot, but it never got into a plot. Molly was there to give a ...more
Mrs. Badass
A generous 3 stars, more like 2.5- 2.75, but the concept was different, and I liked that. But my GOD, Ian? UGH. Seriously what a prick. If I were Molly, I would have slapped his face and said "dude, fine you don't wanna hear what I have to say, screw you, do what you want" and turned tail and left in a storm of dust, but alas, then we would have had no story to read. So, let's talk about Molly. Molly at first seemed to have spine, then she was a jelly fish, then turned back to spine, then ...more
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Edge of Hunger is one of those books that I'm glad I read once for something new, but I probably won't read again or remember much about after I put it away.

The concept is different, introducing two new kinds of supernatural creatures in the epic struggle for good and evil, but it's not enough to make this book stand out. I never connected with the characters and often wondered why I should care about what's at stake for them. The only interesting character for me was Quinn, and he's not even in
Barbara ★
Ian Buchanan, is a loner who has shut everyone out of his life. There is something unknown inside him that is trying to get out so he keeps to himself, until Molly Stratton arrives. The dead talk to Molly. Specifically Ian's mother, who sent Molly to Ian with a warning. Ian fights the attraction with Molly in an effort to protect her from himself. He is fighting his inner beast who needs to be awakened in order to defeat the demon that is hunting him and anyone he cares about.

I liked the
Ctanner
I could not stand the hero, Ian, in this book. He had the worst attitude and it took nearly the entire book for him to FINALLY realize that his life has changed forever and he needed to deal with it. The heroine, Molly, was not much better. Ian kept being cruel to her, pushing her away and she just kept on saying "Ian I trust you" and "I believe in you". She was like a wet blanket throughout the book. I do not think I will continue reading this series.
Celeste
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. I'm excited to read the next two books in the series, which are slated to come out in the following months (April then May). Very enticing totally absorbing book, at least for me! I couldn't put it down until I had finished. Would recommend to all paranormal romance fans.
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

This guy is so stubborn! Over and over, hes told what he has to do and he refuses! It got so tiresome, I wanted to smack him in the head. And for an immortal being, the villain died very easy.
Calisto
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR fans with ALOT of patience
Good universe, hot sex and I'm definitely reading book 2. I'm giving this 3 stars but with reservations.

Now it totally helped that I read Edge of Craving (prequel) before starting this one. If you can do it I'd definitely recommend it. Just treat the prequel as a very long prologue.

Why only 3 stars? Mostly because of the hero and the heroine. I didn't like them as individuals and I definitely did not like them as a couple. In fact, if I was friends with either, I would say run, far away or we
Sammie
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really awesome ,I enjoyed it immensely, I could not put it down,loved every second of it .

From the start of this book I found Ian to be so intriguing ,the moment he steps on the page he's kind of a jackass but it's not actually who he is ,he doesn't know how to trust people so he acts like an ass and pushes them way . I really liked how he met Molly,i thought there first meeting was so funny.

Molly is just such a sweet character but she has backbone and she never really took Ian's crap
Michelle
I am not sure what to think of this one to be honest, I wanted to love it in so many ways because quite a few of my friends rave about the series but I just didn't love it with the enthusiasm that they do. It is the first book in a series and it has a serious amount of world building going on, I think if the hero was more likeable or I could identify a bit better with the heroine then I may have tolerated this a bit better. Saying that, I did enjoy the premise and it did pick up a bit towards ...more
J.
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good grief, how much can one guy rasp? Every time he opened his friggin irritating mouth he rasped. Which sorta killed the book for me right along with whats-her-name, oh, Molly, constantly being described as soft and all her whispering. Between the rasping and the whispering I wanted to scream. How did I make it through to the end I'll never know, but I can speculate. I'm thinking it may have been the plot which was actually fairly decent. I have the next two but I may only read them if I have ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
OK, so this was not the greatest book, however the story was a bit different and kept me interested. It certainly wasn't the characters. First off Ian was almost unbearable. His attitude towards Molly was bad almost until the end of the book. And Molly threw herself at him more than once, at which point I would've already left him to deal with his issues. But, the other characters are intriguing enough, and the storyline has potential, so I'll probably give book 2 a try!
The Listmaker
If you like graphic, sometimes violent, sex scenes strung together with what is seemingly a secondary storyline then you'll like this book.

Don't get me wrong, this is a decent book but the numerous sex scenes overwhelm what could have been an promising and interesting story.

There are two other books in this series in which hopefully the story receives equal attention to the sex.

I'm all for a good sex scene but sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Kim
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Rhyannon Byrd book I've read, but I don't believe it will be the last. I gave four stars because I really liked the storyline and the characters. That being said, however, the hero was a little too tortured for me to like him whole-heartedly. I'm just a fan of a little less angst & denial, and a bit more acceptance and accomplishment.

Overall, however, I liked this and am looking forward to Book 2!
SheLove2Read
May 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible horrible book. He was a real sh*t to her the entire book, just plain mean when he had no REAL reason to be. She let him and kept coming back for more. Storyline wasn't all that great either.
KarenF
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
This book was just OK. I agree with those who thought Ian was a jerk for most of the book. But I found the world the author created was interesting enough to keep me reading. I'll check out the next of the series because if the characters are more likable I think I'd enjoy this series.
Paranormal Romance
The moment he laid eyes on the heroine, he knew she was trouble. Behind those big brown eyes and innocence, she was a woman on a mission and he knew she had turned her sights on him. The hero has always been a surly bastard and never own to let anyone in. When he's told by this female that his dead mother is speaking to her beyond the grave and that she comes with a message of warning, he scoffs at the notion. Growing up he and his siblings were surrounded by their mothers superstitions and ...more
Ashley
Ian Buchanan is haunted by the darkness threatening to break through his formidable control. Nightmares plague him where fangs spring from his gums and blood cascades down his throat from the willing neck of a brunette gypsy. Terrified and soaked with sweat, Ian fears the dreams where he ceases to be human. But one little brown-eyed woman is about to make him face the darkness, whether he wants to or not.

Molly Stratton has finally given in to the demands of Ian's deceased mother, Elaina. Molly
Maggie Shanley
This one could have used a prologue. It starts out with a family in turmoil and a woman who talks to the dead in her sleep, but the reader might be better served with a prologue explaining the Merrick and the Casus and the battle. I will keep reading the series because I want to meet Ian's sister, but it is not the strongest paranormal romance series I have read.
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate to rate something I didn't finish but at 37% I was bored and decided not to force myself to read it...just never really cared about the people or the story.
Aphrodite
I wanted to like it but plot was missing for 40%of the book. It was pretty annoying but had sexy scenes but it was not enough to make up for lack of plot
Shana (ReadingVixen)
No. Just...no.

How obnoxious, pig-headed, and stubborn does a man have to be before he actually realizes that people are trying to tell him something? Get a clue, dude!

This book could've been better, if the H/h weren't so...um...UNbelievable. I've already described the numbnuts who's the hero, but the heroine...geez, could she have been any sappier? She barely speaks above a whisper most of the time, and she's constantly blushing and flushing...she probably doesn't have any blood anywhere else
Natasja
Molly Stratton is psychic and she doesnt want anyone to know, because when people found out they are reacting strange around her and treat her differently. But Elaine Buchanan is deceased and persisted that Molly listens to her. Elaine wants Molly to contact her son Ian and tell him about his destiny. Molly cannot ignore Elaine and pack her things and is going to pay a visit to this Ian Buchanan.

Ian Buchanan left home at an early age and tries to live a normal life. His mother Elaine always told
Lauren
Edge of Hunger
5 Stars

Synopsis: Constantly on edge with the darkness that lives within him, Ian Buchanan only wants to lead a normal life, but then Molly Stratton arrives on his doorstep with a message from Ian's deceased mother and nothing will ever be normal again. Now, Ian and Molly find themselves sharing the same intense and sensual nightmares, and soon discover that they are the prey to an unspeakably evil creature bent on their destruction.

Review:
Intense and exciting from the first pages.
Tina Andersen
love it...

the poeple in this book were awesome pissed me off at time but the stoy line was great, i wasnt bored once through this book..

molly is a shy little mouse that by the end of the book she really comes into her own, i have to say i usauly dont like the shy poeple as a main chartor in the book but byrd did really will with molly, with her all the shyness but still give her enough of a personality that you like her ways..

ian just hates him self to no end take the whole book for him to come
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: well written shifter romance, erotic romance
3.5 of 5 stars really

From the opening scene of Ian and Molly's verbal sparring I knew their subsequent encounters would give and get with just as much fire, and more!

Ian's personality is shaped by years of being told by his Mother that his familial history 'the darkness' will become him. He needs to be prepared, to know. Ian's family is fractured one day and as he is leaving he asks his siblings, Saige and Riley, are they coming with him.

Molly doesn't care if Ian thinks she's a bit whacked.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2)
  • Kade's Dark Embrace (Immortals of New Orleans, #1)
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
  • Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3)
  • Before The Moon Rises (Ritter Werewolves, #1)
  • The Wallflower (Halle Pumas, #1)
  • Wolf at the Door (The Others, #9)
  • Prince Charming Doesn't Live Here (The Others #3)
  • Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)
  • Big Bad Wolf (The Others, #2)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Forever Ours (Shattered Hearts, #1)
  • Forsaken by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampires, #2.5)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Bound by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampire, #1)
  • Chained by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampire, #2)
Rhyannon Byrd is the national bestselling author of more than forty contemporary and paranormal romance titles, including the Bloodrunners series, and her books have been translated into ten languages. After years of enjoying the California sunshine, Rhyannon now lives in the beautiful (but often chilly) county of Warwickshire in England with her family and their ever-growing collection of concert ...more

Primal Instinct (9 books)
  • Edge of Danger (Primal Instinct, #2)
  • Edge of Desire (Primal Instinct, #3)
  • Touch of Seduction (Primal Instinct, #4)
  • Touch of Surrender (Primal Instinct, #5)
  • Touch of Temptation (Primal Instinct, #6)
  • Rush of Darkness (Primal Instinct, #7)
  • Rush of Pleasure (Primal Instinct, #8)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct, #9)