Start by marking “Among the Beasts & Briars” as Want to Read:
Among the Beasts & Briars

Among the Beasts & Briars

Cerys is safe in the kingdom of Aloriya.

Here there are no droughts, disease, or famine, and peace is everlasting. It has been this way for hundreds of years, since the first king made a bargain with the Lady who ruled the forest that borders the kingdom. But as Aloriya prospered, the woods grew dark, cursed, and forbidden. Cerys knows this all too well: when she was young,
Published October 20th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Among the Beasts & Briars, please sign up.
Jaime
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emma One F a few other words but nothing where as I was reading it I felt like oh my they won’t stop swearing.

Start your review of Among the Beasts & Briars
Ashley Poston
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Far-off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise!
Miranda Reads
description

Just released my Top 10 Books from 2020 BookTube Video - now that you know this one made the list, click the link to find the rest!
Annnd here's my book vlog!
description

OH MY GOSH. IT WAS AMAZING.

Click the link if you want to see the OwlCrate Unboxing Video & Review - and seriously. This book was ah-maz-ing. ALLLLLL the stars.
YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
jessica
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
theres nothing inherently wrong with this book, so i feel super guilty about only giving this 3 stars. but i just wasnt connecting with the story as much as i wanted to.

this has a very classic fairytale vibe. theres a little bit of magic, faraway kingdoms, spooky woods and some adventure. and i think because this story is very reminiscent of childhood tales, it felt just a wee bit too juvenile for me. again, this isnt a fault of the books, i was just in the mood for a fantasy story that is a li
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
November Owlcrate! There are some awesome things and the book exclusives are beautiful. Click the goodies link under pic to see the stuff.

GOODIES LINK:

Damn it to hell!! It’s always the best covers! The Owlcrate edition is amazing with sprayed edges and the art under the dust jacket. I’m just going to keep it for a bit and think!!!!

I mean this may even be a 2 star, I just didn’t connect. I did love Fox and the Bear but for once it felt like this needed to
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

“You trekked among the beasts and briars, and the deep heart led you all the way to Voryn … [The deep heart is] what we call that feeling inside you, the part that leads you, draws you forward – toward some great purpose.”

If Uprooted and The Bone Houses had a love child, it would be Among the Beasts & Briars. And considering that those two books are some of my favourites OF ALL TIME, that’s high praise indeed.
Charlotte May
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would have liked more, but what I did get was lush. 💖🥰👑

“You trekked among the beasts and briars, and the deep heart led you all the way to Voryn.”

If you like your fairyales sweet and Disney-esque then Among the Beasts and Briars is for you!

Usually I’d find something like this a bit too twee but with this third lockdown I honestly needed something happy and that is what I got!

Cerys lives in the Village-in-the-valley with her father, the royal palace gardener. Her best friend is the Queen to
Yun
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
I picked up Among the Beasts & Briars because I've been having a craving for a good YA fantasy, and I haven't read one in ages. Unfortunately, this book's terrific start was slowly squandered into a meandering middle that ultimately ended up disappointing me and not satisfying any cravings whatsoever.

The first king of Aloriya long ago struck a bargain with the Lady of the Woods to wear a magical crown in exchange for his kingdom's protection against the evil lurking in the woods. Three hundred y
sarah xoxo
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
"It was said that the first king of Aloriya was born with fire in his blood"

Among the Beasts and Briars feels like a soft fairytale complete with talking animals, magical forests and lost princes. I would recommend this for someone looking for a light fantasy that almost feels like a bedtime story. For more seasoned fantasy readers, or those who prefer extensive world building and magic systems- perhaps pass on this one.

I definitely had to suspend my disbelief at some times and simply let the s
Candace Robinson
Heart of Iron is one of my favorites by Poston, so I was super stoked when I saw she was writing a straight up fantasy book! Her imagination was so on point with this one that I wanted to scream my joy!

I loved Cerys AKA Daisy. You'll know why she has the nickname when you read it! So adorable! Then there was Fox, my sly and scared yet brave little fox! I loved him so incredibly much, and I also thought the connection between him and Daisy was perfect. My one pitfall, which I have with every Post
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars rounded up?

[ BUDDY READ with my OTP BR bestie, DARCE! ]

Okay friends, TO THE REVIEW WE GOOOO!

OKAY; WTF WAS THAT ENDING?!? HOW COULD POSTON DO THIS TO US?! PLEASE tell me we'll get MOREEEEEEEE! Literally there is SO MUCH WORLD to explore! So many characters to elaborate on! So many opportunities for stories!

Anyway, regardless of all that... I loved this lush, vivid, whimsical, yet dark, fairytale SOVERYMUCH.

My goodness... SO much here to love! I loved the slow burn romanc
Darce
Buddy read with my OTP buddy reading babe, Ashley!

4 CAPTIVATING STARS!

Ahhh this was amazing! I loved literally every aspect of this story, from the characters to the world-building to the romance. Ashley Poston’s writing was superb and I can’t wait to read more by her, if her other books are anything like this one then I’m in for a treat!

Our story begins on coronation day for the new queen of this little town. The queen – who also happens to be the best friend of the protagonist – is set to inhe
Ashley Poston
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi everyone! Happy reading! I love this book so incredibly much, and I hope that you do, too. I wrote this story because I wanted to remember what it felt like to have a happily ever after--a story with danger and romance and magic spells and princes in disguise, and all the while you knew there would be a satisfying ending. I hope I managed, at least a little bit.

Into the woods you go, my friends.

Content Warnings: Frightening Situations, Secondary Character Death, Trypophobia, Bleeding/Self-Har
megs_bookrack
My first look at this spectacular cover:

Granted, I will pick up anything written by Ashley Poston.

This ridiculously beautiful cover is just the icing on the cake!!
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Super happy this was the November Owlcrate book and also THE COVER IS SO PRETTY

'It is said that the first king of Aloriya was born with fire in his blood.'

description

Oh, what a marvelous breath of fresh, original fairy tale air! This was dazzling in a quiet, classic way. It's not for those seeking something sharp, breathless, or twisted. This is merely a fairy tale and it claims no other title. It's simple and quaint and, y'all, I think we need more books like this in the midst of our high-octane,
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
I have no idea how to rate this. I loved it, but as with every other fantasy standalone, I feel... Idk, unfulfilled? It felt like a smaller story taken from the middle of a larger one. I hope we get more from this world though!
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Edelweiss and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: Among the Beasts and Briars was exactly what I needed. Get swept away in this original fairytale full of fantastic characters and terrifying woods.

// Content Warning: Violenc
Nicci
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cursed forests, rare magically-inclined heroines, male love interests in strange situations... I think I have a type.

Another fast and easy read! I sped through this because I just couldn't put it down. One of my favorite standalone reads this year!
✩ Yaz ✩
4 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

"He was a fox, and I was a gardener's daughter, and there were no stories for enchantments such as us."

Once upon a time, in a Kingdom known as Aloriya, a young king braved the woods to protect his kingdom from the monsters lurking in it. He reached Voryn, a magical city deep in the woods where he met Lady of the Wilds. For his courage, The Lady gifted him a magical crown that will protect his kingdom from any dangers and ever since the Royal Family have had a gift of magic and the Ki
Alaina
Among the Beasts & Briars was actually pretty interesting and entertaining. In it, you will meet Cerys who is the daughter of the royal gardener. As a kid, she and a couple of her friends would go on daring adventures throughout the wild forest.. but one day she and the Princess made it home.

After some complications, Cerys sets out on another adventure to recover the kingdom of Voyrn which is know lost within the forest. Along the way, she meets a fox and bear. Both were hilarious and had some s
Emma
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, arcs
In a time where it can be so hard to escape from the news, Among the Beasts & Briars swept me away to Aloriya -- where Cerys can grow plants with just a drop of her blood and a pesky fox who loves to steal scraps from the baker can be good friends with a gardener's daughter.

It's rare for me to read a book that's this immersive; every time I put it down, I felt a little bit dazed as I remembered that I had ordinary things to do like coursework and dishes. The writing was so beautiful and descrip
ShanShan ✨
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved everything about this book! The story was so easy to just fall into and didn’t have a gazillion characters to keep track of. It was just simple but full of magic and lovable characters such as Fox, Cerys and even Seren. Fox made me laugh through most of the book and kept me entertained. I adore this story and definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys stand alone books.
Kelly
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed it even though the author scared me right at the end... I loved all the little twists in this book as they kept me engaged and interested by what happened to these characters. The fact that there was a fox and a bear as friends in this book was an added bonus. I also loved the lgbt rep here and there.

In this story, you follow Cerys the daughter of the royal gardener when after the death of the late King, his daughter and Cerys' best friend
Amber J
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I loved this story so very much. It starts out strong with action within the first two chapters. It's an amazing story about enchantments, curses, friendship, bravery, love, and adventure. The female main character is strong and compassionate. The male main character fights against his nature to be there for her.

I prayed I was going to love this book. When I saw this cover I fell in love. Then to find out it was written by the same author who wrote the Heart of Iron series was even better,
Kaya
Jan 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
I DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT I WANT IT.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
1/21: The reread was even better.

----------------

This made my heart so very happy. If there is a way to claim Fox, I'm doing so now.
Mariam
It is said that the first king of Aloriya was born with fire in his blood.

This is one of those books where I feel guilty rating it low because I see the potential, and I see how close the author is to making her mark, but still, I can't bring myself to rate any higher because, despite the beautiful cover, the story was lacking in every aspect possible.

I felt as though I were watching Among the Beasts & Briars unfold from behind a glass wall. I could vaguely see what was happening, but it wa
Steff Fox
| Review on Reader Fox Blog |

I swear, it's as though every time I read a new Ashley Poston novel, I fall more and more in love. And the funny thing is that her books always have some sort of element to them that would typically make me steer clear away from it. But somehow they just keep getting better and better. I said it with Bookish and the Beast some months ago and I'm saying it with Among the Beasts & Briars now: this is Poston's best book to date. In fact, I'm still completely mind b
Amanda
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 4 Stars

I was really excited to get an ARC of this novel because it really looked amazing. I wound up reading it pretty early and I really enjoyed this book. Over the summer I took up gardening as a new hobby, so I thought that reading a book about a girl who can grow things with her blood would be perfect for me. Among the Beasts and Briars was such a sweet whimsical read, and I think it was really well done.

And
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Just look at that lovely fox on the cover;3
I NEED more fairytales in my life.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Among the Beasts and Briars [Dec 1, 2020] 12 30 Dec 30, 2020 07:44AM

• The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1)
  • Les Misérables
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Horrid
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond
  • SoulCatcher
  • The Secret Seaside Escape
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Kings Rising (Captive Prince, #3)
  • Green but for a Season (Captive Prince Short Stories, #1)
  • The Adventures of Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant (Captive Prince Short Stories, #3)
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Articles featuring this book

“Briars, brambles, bones, and blossom, I smell a girl who can’t be forgotten.” 2 likes
“I always thought that gardeners’ daughters couldn’t thrive where our roots didn’t grow. But maybe we were like dandelion tuffs.” 2 likes