Start by marking “Wabi: A Hero's Tale” as Want to Read:
Wabi: A Hero's Tale

Wabi: A Hero's Tale

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Told in an engagingly wry narrative voice, this new and exciting fantasy by the award-winning author of "Code Talker" is woven from classic elements of folklore, romance, and adventure.
Published April 20th 2006 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wabi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wabi

Maureen Shea
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maureen Judith Shea
Wabi : A Hero’s Tale
(2006J. Bruchac, Wabi: A Hero’s Tale (p. 198). New York: Dial Books.

Genre: Fantasy
Awards: Maine Student Book Award
Format: print
Selection process: Reviewed the books suggested in the textbook Literature for Today’s Young Adult by Allsen P. Nelsen . Then looked for available books by Joseph Bruchacin the local library and found "Wabi: A Hero’s Tale” available in the Yong Adult section of the library.
Review:

Wabi is an owlet newly hatched in his mother’s nest,
GraceAnne
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
my favorite of Bruchac's rich repetoire: sweet, sly, and very funny.
Bernadette
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Bruchac (Abenaki) is a prolific author for children and young adults, having received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Native Writers Circle of the Americas. Many of his works incorporate American Indian folklore, sometimes adding elements of fantasy, mystery, or suspense.

Wabi is the story of an abandoned owlet who is raised by his great-grandmother to become a protector, a "guardian," of his forest and valley. As chapters unfold, he rescues and befriends two wolves, Malsumsis and W
Melissa
I think Joseph Bruchac is my new favorite author! He weaves an incredible tale of suspense and leaves you wanting more. Wabi is the first book of Bruchac's that I've read and I absolutely loved it! I wanted to give it 10 stars! Wabi has a lot going on as it follows than transition from owl to man. We learn so much about Wabi's character from even the first chapter. As an owlet he is bullied by his brother and shows a great amount of courage only to be pushed out of their nest. He soon meets a "f ...more
Laura Bang
Bruchac weaves together elements of fantasy and the classic “Hero’s Journey” to create a new fairytale-type story based on Native American Indian traditions. The story follows the trials and tribulations of Wabi, a great horned owl who falls in love with a human girl and abandons his life as an owl to become a human and win her heart. The life of a fairytale hero is not so simple, however, and Wabi must face both humans and monsters before being accepted as himself. Dojihla, Wabi’s love interest ...more
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Wabi, a young owl, and his great-grandmother cannot only speak owl, they can communicate in other animal languages as well. After being rescued from a tough childhood by his grandmother, Wabi begins following human life in a nearby village. He falls in love with Dojihla, the willful daughter of the chief. Wabi is able to turn into a man and wins a contest to become Dojihla's husband, but he quickly realizes that while he has won her hand, he has not won her heart. Instead, he sets off to rescue ...more
Josh Porterfield
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The childhood for a young owl named Wabi was not the best. He had to deal with his brother bullying him, his sister being as dumb as a rock, and having to look after her all of the time. When he grows up he becomes the biggest owl in the forest, and he’s not scared of anything. He wants to know more about the humans, so he watches them and eventually falls in love with a human girl. He has to find a way to turn human and win her heart. I think that what Joseph Bruchac was trying to say that you ...more
We Writers
Are you looking for a book that is adventurous and fantastic? If so, read Wabi by Joseph Bruchac. Wabi is a special owl that is able to talk human words. Wabi loves to go on exiting and interesting adventures but, sometimes they can be very strange. One day Wabi discovered a human village. Wabi was very curious about the humans. After a while, Wabi was learning new things about the humans the made him very interested. A few days passed by and there was one human that stood out the most to Wabi. ...more
Theresa
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This tale is based on a Native American legend about a runt owl named Wabi, who was pushed out of his nest and was rescued by his great grandmother. She took care of him and taught him many great things, including the fact that they could speak in human language as well as other animal languages. Wabi was fascinated with humans and fell in love with the chief's daughter. His only dream was to become human so he could spend his life with her.

This was such a beautiful and well told story. I adored
Tessa Joy
Oct 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Angela Oliver
Fowler Library
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For years as an owl, Wabi has been guarding the village from the many monsters that hunt humans. With his wolf friend Malsumsis at his side he fights the evil creatures and keeps the village safe. Now he has fallen in love with one of the village girls. His great grandmother tells him how to transform himself into a human so that he can enter into a contest to win the girl in marriage. He wins but it is discovered that he is not truly human and he is cast out. He enters on a quest to find the wo ...more
Renee
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5th-8th grade
Wabi begins his life as a runt owl. But when his great-grandmother takes care of him, he turns into a white owl who protects the people in a nearby village. After Wabi falls in love with a woman in the village and chooses to turn into a human, he learns what it really means to be human. Themes include: love, family, sacrifice, heroism, nature and identity. The story is a Native American superhero tale with the funny and reflective Wabi at its center. Wabi is for those interested in self-discover ...more
Miriam
Sep 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: animal-loving kids
Shelves: fantasy, unfinished, ya
Wabi is more intelligent than a normal owl, so he watches the humans and listens to their stories. He protects them from monsters in the woods. This was an all right book, it was just too cute for me. It would be good for kids who like anthropomorphic animals. For readers older than 11 or so who want a fantasy with owls I'd recommend trying Owl in Love instead.
Hααℓєу♡ Ƒιѕнєя
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story. It was an interesting twist on shape-shifting animals that turn into humans for love. Wabi is an interesting Character that is hatched an owl and is raised by his great grandmother to become the biggest owl and very smart. I like that he is entranced by the human girl and falls in love with her. Even after she turns him down he still tries to do what is best for him and his pet to rescue the wolves. It is a good story of a hero and love. I would recommend this book.
Ellison Huang
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book filled with adventure, mystery, and love. This is a wonderful traditional literature book about a wondrous transformation that leads Wabi to realize who his closest friends really are and the life that he is meant to live. This wonderful book will be appreciated for anyone into adventure, suspicion, or fantasy. Joseph Bruchac also includes some elements of american indian folklore. This is a great book for ages 9 and up.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
***kids book. I have Code Talker and have always been interested in Native American legends(from Aunt Cathy) It was an excellent story. I never knew where it would lead except that the owl would get the girl. It was an interesting perspective going from an owl to human. I am now going to read Code Talker. I watched the movie, but books are almost always better.
Robyn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful, exciting book by one of my favorite authors. I love Bruchac's truncated yet graceful style, and his straightforward storytelling. Wabi, A Hero's Tale is another book I'll be recommending to my middle grade children (although, thinking about it, my six year old son might enjoy it as a read-a-loud).
Amber
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is full of adventure, humor, romance, magic, monsters, Native American culture and a lot of other really wonderful things. You can't help loving Wabi and wanting to find out what will become of him in all of his adventures. I would feel confident recommending this book to just about anyone, from the young reluctant reader to the more mature reader looking for a quick enjoyable read.

Suzanne Warr
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A truly amazing animal pov, but also an excellent shape shifting story and the kind of tale you feel in your bones has been around since humans first started telling stories. Read the full review on my blog, and get the cat's two cents, as well. ;)
Jean
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
An engrossing tale. Wabi, an owl who falls from his nest and is cared for by wise great grandmother owl learns that his mother was a human who became an owl. He falls in love with a human girl, and changes to a human. Eventually he saves his wolf friends family and the village and gains the love of Dojihla who had earlier rejected him because of his owl ears.
Becky
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book- I couldn't stop reading and wanted the story to continue when it was over. Very detailed story to help the imagination picture everything. Wabi is a tale of a very brave being.

I have heard this author also wrote Keepers of the Earth. I will be reading more from this guy!
James Esplin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: glenn-13-25
Plot Synopsis:
Wabi falls from his nest. His great-grandmother takes care of him, but soon he falls in love with a human girl. A what a trip love takes him on.

Thoughts:
It was interesting. The way the Joseph Bruchac keeps the owl nature when Wabi becomes human was fun. I liked how they were to give gratitude for what they killed.

Warnings:
very mythological fight scenes
Kim Riehle
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting way to look at what a hero means in the American Indian Culture. Wabi is an owl, who is a man, who is both. He finds that protecting those he loves is the meaning of being a true hero. He also realizes that true peace comes when we are comfortable with who we are.
BL834
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The descriptive blurb did not entice me at all. The cover didn't catch my eye. But my daughter insisted I read this book... and wow! Simply told, with understated bits of humor and good pacing. Even the moments of magic and plot twists didn't seem overly contrived.
Marilyn
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Read this for a discussion with students at local middle school. It was interesting, fast moving and I think the students will have a postive reaction to it. I think I'd like to try another book by this author.
Teri Jo Hanseen
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wouldn't we all want to be an owl.
Kathy
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fairytale
A native American hero fairytale.
Brian Murphy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, but not necessarily groundbreaking.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Jingle Dancer
  • Rabbit's Snow Dance
  • Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street (outlaws of Sherwood Street, #1)
  • The Fires Beneath the Sea (The Dissenters, #1)
  • I Was There
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • Shield of Stars (The Shield, Sword, and Crown, #1)
  • Walking the Choctaw Road: Stories from the Heart and Memory of the People
  • Boots and the Seven Leaguers (A Rock-and-Troll  Fairy Tale, #3)
  • The Last Words of Will Wolfkin
  • The Porcupine Year
  • Gus And The Baby Ghost
  • Blue Horses Rush In: Poems and Stories
  • Buffalo Bird Girl: A Hidatsa Story
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater