Start by marking “We Hear Voices” as Want to Read:
We Hear Voices

We Hear Voices

An eerie horror debut about a little boy who recovers from a mysterious pandemic and inherits an imaginary friend who makes him do violent things...

Kids have imaginary friends. Rachel knows this. So when her young son, Billy, miraculously recovers from a horrible flu that has proven fatal for many, she thinks nothing of Delfy, his new invisible friend. After all, her famil
Published December 1st 2020 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about We Hear Voices, please sign up.
Jeff Honestly, I couldn't get through Imaginary Friends and I love Stephen Chobosky. This book is amazing, though!…moreHonestly, I couldn't get through Imaginary Friends and I love Stephen Chobosky. This book is amazing, though!(less)

Start your review of We Hear Voices
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book truly terrified me because even though it takes place in the future world telling a breath taking story about contagious pandemic crisis: there are so many similarities with our new normal world where we try to adjust its new rules right now! Probably the author wrote this book before Covid-19 but this means this book is great proof that human mind may imagine the worst and those scary scenarios appear on our minds may truly happen😱😱

In this book: mostly the little kids are affected by
megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars**

During a mysterious flu pandemic, Rachel's son, Billy, lies close to death. Rachel is understandably distraught. He is just a little boy. He doesn't deserve this.

Defying all odds, Billy fights through and survives, but he brings a friend back with him from the brink. An imaginary friend who he calls, Delfy.

Rachel knows that many children develop imaginary friends to help them cope with trauma, so she's initially not too concerned about it.

From what Billy is telling her, Delfy is enc
Steven
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

WOW. This book was really hard to put down. I love the format - short chapters, scenes that are constantly building to an ending that was a teensy bit predictable but also oh so twisty. The book had lots of good reveals, and it really built and built.

It wasn't really horror, though it had quite a bit of horror-element to it. It was more like a sci-fi techno thriller with some horror thr
Sheena
Happy pub day!

A creepy debut novel with an assortment of genres such as horror, sci-fi, and thriller. We Hear Voices takes place in an apocalyptic setting of Earth facing the brink of collapsing. Technology took over a fair bit with virtual reality and artificial intelligence being prominent in this dystopian society. The answer to saving humanity is to train a new generation to launch into space to create a new life. On top of the plan for colonizing space there is a pandemic going on that is
Dennis
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Have you ever been frustrated by a book, but then loved how it wrapped up? This review will be short and confusing, because quite honestly, I don't know how to review We Hear Voices at all.

The synopsis of this book is so relatable—a global pandemic, quarantining, flu-like symptoms... Evie Green wrote this book before COVID-19 began rampaging against our global community, but it's wild how similar the book is to reality. However, I found the book a bit too dry for my liking. I got bored very
Elaine
I liked this a lot more than I expected to, even though it dragged in the middle and the ending didn't quite hold together.

Rachel is mum to teen Nina, 6yo Billy and 8mo Beth. A horrible fever has reached all corners of the earth, killing millions and now it's sickened Billy. He pulls through, and his mother thinks his recovery is a miracle. When his behavior becomes naughty then dangerous, and he's blaming it on imaginary friend Delfy, Rachel takes him to a child psychologist.

She has no idea Dr.
Max
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imaginary friends will never not be spooky. But, it's just a question of if they're done right... and I can say with confidence that We Hear Voices had a new and great take on them!

I am definitely predicting a big hit release for this book, especially nearby Halloween. But, for all of the people reading this who may think they're not into "scary" books, I wouldn't worry. It's not that We Hear Voices isn't scary, but I think that almost all readers will be able to take this on even if they're jus
Bonnie Brien
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites, horror
SO GOOD. This horror novel (not gory though) is set in the near future and there's a mysterious pandemic, killing millions and leaving some children with an unusual side effect: imaginary friends who make their hosts do violent things. The story centers around Billy and his family, and was so hard to put down. It's suspenseful, smart, scary, and eerily prescient. Well, I hope this book never actually becomes our future, but I do hope you'll read it because it was such a satisfying story.

Review
Dianne
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
In a world that eerily parallels the pandemic currently faced, one small boy recovers from near death only to have found an imaginary friend who seems to control his very actions, actions that are often terrifying and unexplainable. What could be happening to this innocent child? Is the voice in his head real? How will his mother deal with the horrors she must face? Is she prepared to admit something is not right? What of the others who have recovered? Do they hear voices, too?

WE HEAR VOICES by
Sabrina Grafenberger
We Hear Voices is a lot of things, but it is not a horror novel.

It's a dark and somewhat depressing dystopian sci-fi thriller mixed with family drama.

Evie Green created a near future post-pandemic world with lots of intriguing changes to our current situation on Earth, like enhanced virtual reality and artificial intelligence, space colonization and one big corporation that controls almost everything. There are many interesting ideas on technology and these changes fit perfectly into the stor
☕️Kimberly
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Narrated by Elizabeth Knowelden, the premise of We Hear Voices by Evie Green drew me in with its eerie offerings. A gripping tale about imaginary friends in a near future reality.

Fans of science fiction, horror and thrillers will be drawn into this world. Green’s debut novel begins with a pandemic/flu that kills most, but Rachel’s son Billy survives. She is so grateful that she thinks nothing of Billy’s new imaginary friend Delfy. That is, until Delfy convinces her son to do unspeakable things.

T
Tammy
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: An ambitious genre mash-up that tackles such diverse topics as poverty, imaginary friends, space exploration and family bonds.

We Hear Voices caught me off guard, but in a good way. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I didn’t realize this was science fiction/dystopian when I started reading it. It looks like horror, ri
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Imagine you're in a pandemic... I know, I know... it's a stretch, but just try. Now imagine you're a kid that caught whatever "flu" (J5X) is going around, gets REALLY sick but then starts to recover. But he's also brought with him a new imaginary friend named Delfy. Imaginary friends are harmless right? 😉 Spider bouquet anyone? 🕷♥

As an only child you would've thought I would've had an imaginary friend but I never did. I would make up scenarios in my head all the time and hold conversations where
Donna Hines
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cloud-library
You don't have to go far to imagine a pandemic sweeping across the world but you may have to stretch the mind to imagine this flu like ailment that seems to effect the kids.
To what do we owe the great pleasure of having an entire basement full of 'mentally ill' kids suffering from the same element of feeling controlled to the point of hearing voices that force them to 'act out.'
Lets just transport them to a far off planet via spaceship or perhaps 'colonize' them. You see folks while we are busy
Kate
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book; I thought it was going to be creepy and maybe a little scary, but, nope. It's sci-fi, which isn't really my jam, and it didn't take a genius to figure out the connections or the twist at the end (which wasn't much of a surprise, so not really a twist), so it wasn't even very mysterious, or whatever. I was going to give it 3 stars, but after some reflection, am going with 2 stars.

This is the story of Rachel's family. Her young son Billy is 6 years old and sick
Irene
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
From the description I was expecting a horror, but what I got was more of a dystopian sci fi. Maybe that's why I was declined when I first requested an advance copy. The reason I gave for wanting to read this was that I love horror that features creepy kids. Maybe I should have taken the hint that this book was not for me, instead of requesting an advance copy elsewhere.
When young Billy recovers from the mysterious pandemic it's like the miracle that Rachel has prayed for. So many have died from
Michael
Dec 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Interesting premise. Dumb execution. Ending fell flat for me
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/12/24/...

A mysterious pandemic. Social unrest and widespread poverty. A new initiative to send gifted youth into space in the hopes of building a new world while the old one burns. All these are catastrophes and events unfolding in We Hear Voices. As the story begins, a woman named Rachel watches over her gravely ill son Billy in their tiny apartment in London, praying for him to survive the night. The boy had contracted the J5X vi
Monnie
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Back in my younger days, I ripped through sci-fi books with a passion - I think it was largely because technology, and all the possibilities it brings, has always been a fascination (probably because my formative years were spent using a crank telephone on a party line and getting news and music from a floor-model radio, so Sony's Walkman was enough to blow my mind). But my tastes these days lean more toward mysteries and thrillers, so when I was offered a pre-release copy of this book, I was a ...more
Asheley
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
I took a chance on something different and I really liked it! We Hear Voices by Evie Green is largely the story of a young boy named Billy and his mother. As the story begins, Billy is near death from the flu, which has been raging as a deadly pandemic. Billy ends up surviving. As he gains his strength after recovering, it becomes clear that Billy now has an imaginary friend named Delfy. Whether or not this imaginary friend came to Billy during his illness or immediately after is not really that ...more
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
This book was put into the wrong genre. Who would label this as horror? I came into this looking for horror and what I got was a family drama with scifi elements. Bleh.

It was okay for what it was (a family drama.) If you're going into this for horror or even an urban scifi story, you will be disappointed. The thing with the voices was very plain to me from the beginning. The twist at the end was laughable. I saw it coming from the beginning. I just spent most of this book being frustrated at how
Lori
How could you not want to read this book? Set in near future London, we're plopped down in the middle of a global pandemic in which young children survivors develop post-flu imaginary friends. The voices, which first appear to be a cute side-effect of recovery, quickly push the children they've infected to do horrific and sinister things.

As if that wasn't terrifying enough, the world itself is gasping its last breaths and Green's written a secondary storyline that deals with the state of the pl
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
We Hear Voices piqued my interest with the mysterious imaginary friend. Where does it come from? What is it? How bad will it get? These are all questions that came to my mind when I read the synopsis of We Hear Voices.

I’ve never read (or listened to) a story that needed a disclaimer like this one. Get this, there is a “flu” pandemic sweeping the world, thousands of people are dying every day, no one trusts the government as to the origin, death count or even the existence of the “flu.” This stor
Rajiv
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

Many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group and Netgalley for providing me an ARC of this book!

Wow! Reading this book was a trip! It was unique and unlike anything I had read ever. It is part dystopian, part futuristic, part science fiction, part space travel, part horror and part YA, which made the story unpredictable. I had no idea where the story was going, and I loved that aspect!

Also, I loved the main characters. Nina is sma
Permanently_Booked
Dec 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
The synopsis had me utterly intrigued and I honestly can't say no to creepy kid-based horror books. There is a strong start to this read that has you quickly sucked in but as things unravel and more POVs start to come in the plot seems to overstretch itself into different directions. Mind you there is a reason for it, and it ties together epically in the end. Getting there was a slight sluggish battle for me though.

There was a decent number of extra scenarios occurring that took away from the o
Micah
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The only son in the family Billy who is at the hospital suffering from the flu. He finally is able to go back home and Rachel being mom makes sure he is safe. Until one day when Billy begins hearing Elfy and his sister Nina is attempting to get on a space shuttle to create life on a new planet. Spine tingling, mysterious and spooky "We Hear Voices" bring a take to today's current events in a similar matter. Several protagonists throughout the novel making enjoyable and page-turning. Highly recom ...more
Cheryl
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creepy sci fi horror tale

I loved this book. It hit all the high points for me from the first page until the last.

This sci fi dystopian horror tale takes place in the not-far-off future in London, England.

Earth is in a downward spiral, with ever increasing numbers of animals going extinct and environmental issues negatively impacting quality of life all over the world.

A new terrifying pandemic has struck worldwide, mainly hitting children and seniors and some of those surviving the J5X virus, esp
C.J. Cooke
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely chilling to think this was written BEFORE coronavirus. Beautifully written and deftly plotted, this is a MUST read.
Lauren Rosenthal
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Was not expecting that ending, but when I look back on it, it was pretty brilliantly set up at the beginning of the story. Overall, a really good book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Red Hands (Ben Walker, #3)
  • The Housekeeper
  • The Night Will Find Us
  • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • The Burning Girls
  • Exciting Times
  • The Wife Stalker
  • Ghost Boys
  • The Children of Red Peak
  • Ravensong (Green Creek, #2)
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Name of Red (Red, #1)
  • The Day I Disappeared
  • Craigslist Confessional: A Collection of Secrets from Anonymous Strangers
  • All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1)
  • The King at the Edge of the World