Start by marking “Wings (Wings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wings (Wings, #1)

Wings

(Wings #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  68,472 Ratings  ·  4,988 Reviews
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be c
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 290 pages
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Wings, please sign up.
Kassandra Honestly, the first book is pretty great and it sets you up for so much potential for an amazing story. However, as you read on a lot is drawn out to…moreHonestly, the first book is pretty great and it sets you up for so much potential for an amazing story. However, as you read on a lot is drawn out to make you expect this amazing ending and it really falls short. She builds this second romance throughout the entire series and then doesn't really elaborate on it. I would recommend reading the novels because they were good. Just be prepared to be disappointed a little. It's just unfortunate for such a great idea to end so anti-climatically. (less)

Kat Kennedy
I probably shouldn't have read this. If you read the pre-read section at the bottom of the review, you'll see that I didn't even intend to order it. Yet, since I had it, I thought I'd give it a go.

I lasted 24 pages because that's all my sanity could take.

Laurel is a magazine-beautiful, waif-like teenager who leaves homeschooling in grade 10 in order to begin her high school career.

And that's when the story stops making sense. Not that the above makes any sense either. Models in magazines aren'
Arlene
May 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Spoiler Alert!!! Spoiler Alert!!!
This book contains content that can cause a reader to inflict bodily harm to oneself. Proceed with caution! Oh and my review might contain a spoiler or two… you've been warned.

"Don't worry. I'll keep my distance from your blossom. I know whose petals I'm allowed to get into and whose I'm not. *he inhaled deeply* Mmmmm. As fabulous as you smell, your petals are off limits to me."

Whoaaaaaaaaa!! Get your mind out of the gutter! This is a YA book about fairie flowers
Katya
Dec 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
*Kate limps in the kitchen. Roommate looks up.*

Roommate: What happened to you?
Kate: Fell through too many plotholes.

You know, at least in one aspect, the caption doesn't lie: You do get a different viewpoint on faeries (fairies?). As for the magic, intrigue, romance and danger, I didn't get much on that, and the extraordinary bit kind of slipped me as well.

Good things first - the novel is short and reads easy. You're not given too much time to groan and despair over the things you hate. I admit,
Robin Hobb
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers who enjoy fantasy.
I go to a lot of conventions and comic cons. While I'm there, I usually pick up a sampling of books from my fellow writers. Sometimes I am given free copies. I don't think I let that affect my reviews, but I like to be transparent about such things. This is one that I bought for the intriguing premise, and the charming author signed it to me.

As always, I wish to avoid spoilers, but as the back cover of the book reveals that Laurel has to deal that a blossom similar to wings is opening up on her
Kristina
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wings was my first ever fairy book and I adored it. Aprilynne Pike is so clever and creative. She has such a unique twist on fairies and I kept reading passages over and over again because they were just so interesting.
Avis
This entire book can be summed up in one picture:

description

No, seriously, what the hell was that?!

This book makes less sense than Spongebob Squarepants. Oh, yeah, you heard me right.

This fucking book makes less sense than a cartoon about a sponge who makes burgers for a crab under water, has a pet snail and can't pass a driving test to save his life.

That's right.

So, Wings is about this chick called Laurel and her life is so frickin' hard guys. She had to move to another house, has to go to smelly-jelly ew
Ceilidh
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Jessica
TBR Reduction Challange #5 (Kirsten)

Alright guys, I’m throwing in the towel. I just can’t get over the fact that the girl has a giant flower growing out of her back. Ew. I mean, eeeew. Yeah, and then there are some things that just plain annoy me. Dialogues like this one for example:

...It took her a few seconds to find her voice.
"Who are you?"
He paused and studied her with a strange, unflinching look in his eyes.
"Well?" Laurel prompted.
"You don’t know me, do you?" He asked.

Um, I don’t know about
Kristi
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Wings was definitely a unique take on fairy mythology. And I finally get the significance of the cover now, which I have to say fits the novel perfectly.

I’m a huge fan of the Faery/Fairy/Fae... (was it is really?) genre, or rather sub-genre. I wasn’t surprised that I really liked this novel. Sensational plot line, really different than anything I’ve read. The first part of the novel moved a little slow for me. But once I became fully engrossed in the world that Pike created, I couldn’t get thro
Julie Kagawa
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing take on faeries. However, I feel that not a lot happened in the first third of the novel; it was mostly Laurel finding out who and what she is. Though beautifully written, it seemed more of an intro to the next book than a novel in itself. Still, it kept me turning pages, the characters were well developed, and the love triangle inspired many aww moments. I'm anxious to see what will happen in the next book
J.
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
What Meyer has done to vampires, Pike has done to faeries. This book is sweet, funny, sensually and beautifully told. She gives every single character their justice and purpose. Amazingly composed. This has got to be a part of a series. I need more.
Lissa
Most of my friends rated this book one star, and some friends even have it on shelves to avoid... but there's just something about it that I really enjoyed...

Although Laurel is a TERRIBLE heroine, and I went into this book with quite low expectations (see my 'morbid curiosity shelf, reserved for books I have heard terrible things about but still have a desire to read) and the only reason I picked it up was because I saw it on the shelf in my local library... I actually enjoyed the book.

Aprilynne
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. UM. THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY FAIRIE BOOK I'VE READ THAT I LIKED. AND I FLIPPIN LOVED IT
Amelia
I remember reading this book a few years ago and really loving it. I also read the sequel back then but I never really finished the series.

Now I'm gonna finish it.

This was such a quick and enjoyable read. Although it has many tropes that we all hate, such as love triangles, I still found myself enticed by the story.

I am so excited to get the rest of the series in the mail so I can continue!!
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"There's always someone who secretly believes in myths and legends."

Beautiful, short book that kinda reminded me of a Disney movie but was an enjoyable read nonetheless.

And of course, Tamani and Laurel were my favorite characters to read about in this story. David was an amazing best friend and should just stay that way :)
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

What happens when you find out that you are different. Not just a little different but really DIFFERENT?!

Laurel finds herself in public school for the first time when she is a sophomore. She has been homeschooled in a small cabin in the forest. Her parents moved to Crescent City, in Northern California, about an hour away from her cabin to open a bookstore.

At her high school Laurel meets David, and he invites her to join his group of friends. He a
Debbie
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya
Though I haven't read "Twilight" due to my abhorrence of anything vampire, this may be the fairy equivalent. Main character discovers she's a plant fairy, does battle with trolls, and must decide between two love interests, one a human and the other a fairy. Compelling story!
Sara Larson
By the end I was definitely sucked in. It is a very different take on fairies, very interesting. I'm definitely curious to see how this series turns out...
Laurel
Dec 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
I heard this book really, really stinks...
The main character has my name...

No one fucks up my name and

GETS

AWAY

WITH

IT.
Mizuki
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Edited@03/10/2016:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm glad to inform you guys some brave people at DAS_SPORKING community have taken up the hard work of sporking Wings, chapter by chapter : http://das-sporking.livejournal.com/1...

Note: had just found out Aprilynne Pike's remark on book reviews. Wow, what an it.

Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike
The story begins when a homeschooled young girl, Laurel moves to a new town with her parents and starts going to highschool for the very first time, later she discove
Amy Plum
I love the very original (for me) faerie mythology that Pike has created in this book. And have to say I'm Team Tamani.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. So I wasn't completely disliking Wings the way I was half expecting to. It had a very simple, almost elementary start. Once I stopped picking at the writing, I settled in to give the book a fair shot and found myself having fun with the book. It was a fast and fun read, so I can't complain too much.

Sure, cocky, perfect guys have completely saturated the market, leaving us lovers of YA looking for different male leads. We want flaws. We want real. I about groaned as I felt being pushed
Nikoleta
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
3,5 αστεράκια.
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
3.5 - 4 Stars

Wings was a fast and enjoyable read. I was struggling with how to rate it, though, as I'm somewhere between "Liked it" and "Really liked It".

This is a debut novel by Aprilynne Pike and has an endorsement by Stephenie Meyer as "A Remarkable Debut". While not quite remarkable for me, it was certainly a good enough start to a series that I am interested to read the next book.

If you want to read a twist on the faerie story, and if you enjoy love triangles, then you may want to check t
Ian
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Triffids who can remember what it felt like to fall in love.
One day a flower grows out of Laurel's back. Shortly thereafter she discovers she's a plant. Luckily her would be boyfriend is OK with dating a plant, in fact he thinks it's kind of cool. This of course raises the question as to what he was really doing with that iceberg lettuce in his room.

The premise of this book is whacked enough that I really should like it...sorry to say it just wasn't working. There was a lot of talk about petals which was just creepy, and would be boyfriend even asked if
Chi
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75/5
Caitlin L
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
5 just like always :) This is about my third time rereading this book and it's never failed to give me just the perfect amount of entertainment, action, and love.
Stefani
May 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Gwenyth
May 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is the fairy equivalent to Twilight, funny considering the fact that Stephanie Meyer blurbed it. The entire book form pg 1-200 was terrible, was okay pg 200-280, and back to terrible for the next 20 pages.

The Plot: Just like Twilight, it was added at the last minute and was a bit cheesy. Trolls trying to take over a forest? C'mon. If you're going to write a fantasy book, then you need a better imagination than that.

Characters: One-dimensional, no goals or purposes, exactly like Bella from T
Tamani?!? or David?!? 144 232 Jun 20, 2018 07:16AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Wings #1: Wings by Aprilynne Pike --> Starting 22nd March 16 12 Mar 31, 2018 09:08PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike - Restarting November 16th 2017 41 86 Nov 16, 2017 04:32PM
Who like this series? 36 108 Aug 20, 2017 07:49PM
They should so make a movie about this series 9 33 Aug 20, 2017 07:46PM
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)
  • The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Knife (Faery Rebels, #1)
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
Aprilynne Pike has been spinning faerie stories since she was a child with a hyper-active imagination. At the age of twenty she received her BA in Creative Writing from Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho. When not writing, Aprilynne can usually be found at the gym; she also enjoys singing, acting, reading, and working with pregnant moms as a childbirth educator and doula. Aprilynne curre ...more

Wings (5 books)
  • Spells (Wings, #2)
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)
  • Destined (Wings, #4)
  • Arabesque (Wings, #5)
“So there's magic? Real magic? It's not just all scientific like David says?"
Tamani rolled his eyes. "David again?"
Laurel bristled. "He's my friend. My best friend."
"Not your boyfriend?"
"No. I mean...no."
Tamani stared at her for several seconds. "So the position's still open?"
Laurel rolled her eyes. "We are so not having this conversation.”
489 likes
“And do you really think someone's going to look at you and say, 'Hmm, I think that girl's a plant'?” 456 likes